Common Problems with 2nd Gen TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013 | 07:17 PM
9th Gear

Common Problems with 2nd Gen TSX?

Hey everyone, I have been looking to get a different car for a little while now. It's been a frustrating journey, since I have been looking for a 2007+ Acura TL or a 2008+ Accord EXL V6, and all of the ones I have come across in my price range, less than $16K, are either trashed and neglected or have been wrecked.

After owning a few different 4 cylinder vehicles, I told myself that my current car would be my last 4 cylinder car because the acceleration is just terrible. I looked at the stats on the 2.4 in the TSX, and it may be enough for me with 201 HP. I have found a 2009 TSX locally that I am going to look at.

http://www.carhuntersllc.net/2009_Ac..._213976010.veh

I have never owned a Honda or Acura vehicle before, so I am not familiar with the platforms. What are some known common problems and defects I should look for on this TSX? Any major maintenance that should have been perfored or will need to be performed on a TSX with 73K miles?
Old 12-09-2013 | 07:19 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

2009 had some brake issues and issues with the grille peeling if i remember correctly... after that model yearl there really are none.
Old 12-09-2013 | 07:22 PM
Graphite Ghost

Take a look at tsb list. Simple search will find it. Typically the first year of a redesign has most tsbs. Those will be your most common as the factory issued a bulletin
Old 12-10-2013 | 02:36 PM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by 05RLS2
Hey everyone, I have been looking to get a different car for a little while now. It's been a frustrating journey, since I have been looking for a 2007+ Acura TL or a 2008+ Accord EXL V6, and all of the ones I have come across in my price range, less than $16K, are either trashed and neglected or have been wrecked.

After owning a few different 4 cylinder vehicles, I told myself that my current car would be my last 4 cylinder car because the acceleration is just terrible. I looked at the stats on the 2.4 in the TSX, and it may be enough for me with 201 HP. I have found a 2009 TSX locally that I am going to look at.

http://www.carhuntersllc.net/2009_Ac..._213976010.veh

I have never owned a Honda or Acura vehicle before, so I am not familiar with the platforms. What are some known common problems and defects I should look for on this TSX? Any major maintenance that should have been performed or will need to be performed on a TSX with 73K miles?
I'm inclined to advise skipping an 09 since it's the first model year of the car, but I may start to rethink that. They're at least 5 years old now, and the one you're interested in has 73K miles. The 09's had a few new model blues, but any of those were most likely attended to by now with the car you're interested in if it had any of those problems. For the most part, the TSX is very low maintenance. The less common items don't kick in till after 100K miles. Brake fluid should be changed every 3 years regardless of mileage. Trans fluid change is around 100K miles, but many change it more often (I know I would in an 09 with 73K miles). Rear brake pads can be a high wear item on any TSX, and it may need fronts too with that kind of mileage. They're an easy replacement if you're at all mechanical. The car is probably ready for a battery too. As long as the car was maintained properly, 73K miles is nothing for a Honda; it's just broken in. I sold my 05 with 178K miles on it (original owner) and just did maintenance and wear and tear. My wife's 07 is well over 200K with the same history.

Last edited by Simba91102; 12-10-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-10-2013 | 04:14 PM
I Spit On You.

^ +1 I'd get an 2010.
Old 12-10-2013 | 04:29 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

I'd get a 2011 with the revised steering.
Old 12-10-2013 | 04:41 PM
Burning Brakes

I must admit I like the price.
Old 12-10-2013 | 05:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have an '09 and while I love my car, I'd advise skipping it unless the previous owner/dealership replaced some of the problematic items (speakers, rear brakes, XM, etc.). You name it, I have experienced it with my car unfortunately. But the bright side is that while it was a hassle, everything was replaced under warranty (except the brakes, only half of that expense was covered due to the Honda settlement) so many of the parts are quite new.
Old 12-10-2013 | 07:33 PM
Pro

I recommend getting a 2010 or greater. The first year models generally have all the problems but not a lot a problems occurred.
Old 12-10-2013 | 09:52 PM
9th Gear

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone. I plan on checking this car out this weekend, along with another TSX I found for sale (another 09). The only 2nd gen TSXs I can find are 09 or 2012+, and those are going for way more than I want to pay for a daily driver.

Originally Posted by ESHBG
I have an '09 and while I love my car, I'd advise skipping it unless the previous owner/dealership replaced some of the problematic items (speakers, rear brakes, XM, etc.). FYou name it, I have experienced it with my car unfortunately. But the bright side is that while it was a hassle, everything was replaced under warranty (except the brakes, only half of that expense was covered due to the Honda settlement) so many of the parts are quite new.
I am aware that rear brake problems that is sort of common on Acuras and Hondas, but what is problematic with the XM and speakers?

As long a transmission failures and engine problems are not common, I can deal with the brakes.

Anything I should be observant of and look for when when test driving a TSX?
Old 12-10-2013 | 10:03 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

The XM and speakers is a tech package issue... the tech speakers are known to blow out frequently. Transmission failure isn't an issue with the TSX... only engine issues would be the grinding on cold start (failed / deffective VTC actuator...There is a TSB for it)

My 2010 had the issue, after much arguing with the dealer it was replaced free of charge.
Old 12-12-2013 | 07:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 05RLS2
I am aware that rear brake problems that is sort of common on Acuras and Hondas, but what is problematic with the XM and speakers?
Like iCrap said, it was a Tech package issue and I had to have a total of six speakers replaced soon after purchasing the car due to blowing speakers (and trust me, I did not even push the system in the least). Over time the XM module went out and then the XM antennae, both had to be replaced.
Old 12-13-2013 | 03:21 PM
7th Gear

I guess I'm lucky I have the 09 non-tech. No issues with stereo and speakers (I often have it turned up to 30). However, I've had the rotors turned 2 times already and now I need to get it done a third time and I only have 39K on the car. Other than that, it's been rock solid.
Old 12-14-2013 | 05:11 AM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by Jaytbone
I guess I'm lucky I have the 09 non-tech. No issues with stereo and speakers (I often have it turned up to 30). However, I've had the rotors turned 2 times already and now I need to get it done a third time and I only have 39K on the car. Other than that, it's been rock solid.
You may want to try re-bedding the pads before you spend money on having the rotors turned (if they can be; there may not be enough meat on them to turn them again). Plus, new ones are pretty cheap (you can buy OE quality replacements for around $100 for all four). The vast majority of those who think their rotors are warped are actually suffering from pad build up, and re-bedding should help alleviate that. Turning the rotors will cure either condition, so it can be difficult to be sure which it is, but re-bedding the pads is free, and you can do that yourself, anytime.
Old 12-15-2013 | 10:41 PM
7th Gear

if you had a problem with 4cyl because it was too weak for you, this TSX won't make you happy. It has 201hp 4cyl, but it's also a very heavy car. It accelerates similar to a 140hp light car.
Old 12-18-2013 | 03:16 PM
Intermediate

I have a 2010 TSX 2.4L/Auto. I bought it new and have 50k miles on it now. The front grill has started peeling in the corners(need to check and see if warranty covers it), both left side door lock actuator went out at 30-40k miles area, and lastly the grease they used on the brake slider pins is crap! all my calipers starting sticking so had to tear it all down and rebuild it plus new pads and rotors all the way around. Otherwise I love my car! Other then the brakes, zero mechanical problems, great ride, awesome mpg, and easy to work on! Changing the transmission fluid is as easy as the oil(did trans at 40k miles)! Still happy with my purchase and not expensive like Lexus and Infinite to maintain and fix.
Old 12-22-2013 | 04:12 PM
Racer

Short list

Engine ping/knock sensor issues
Engine oil smell (going up hill)
Brake issues/Pads (both rear/front)
Rotors warping pre 30K miles
Front side panels peeling off
Speakers blowing out
Issues with dual climate (passenger side, fails to adjust temperature)
Mysterious passenger seat, squeaking
Center steering; dead zone (although this is more subjective feel than a mechanical problem, however they resolved this issue with the 11' models and up)
Rare cases of entire navigation system ceasing to work (Reported by some AZiners)
Old 12-22-2013 | 04:25 PM
Racer

Also, I agree with others regarding the performance on the i-4 models. No doubt the handling is great for its class so is the reliability, but the performance and MPG is underwhelming

When I first obtained a 10' i-4 as a loaner, the experience was less than forgettable and felt underwhelming stock wise. I was also avgin about 17-20 mpg in the city..which isn't that bad, but not great either. That is around the same amount I average in my V6 TSX with no real 'conscience on gas.'

The engine is bit noisy and jumpy, however more refined and peppy than the Honda Accord i-4. Although it was quite embarrassing not being able to shrug pass a Camry jumping onto the freeway.

just my
Old 12-22-2013 | 04:37 PM
Racer

On my 2011 - rotors warped at 28K miles. Bluetooth crapped out TWICE around same time. Now, I have wiper problems. Other than that, nice daily driver. I like the performance just fine, and the gas mileage. I use regular gas in the winter, but 91 in the summer to prevent pinging. I basically notice no difference, and get the same amount of miles out of a full tank (~ 410-425).
The following users liked this post:
dude23 (07-23-2014)
Old 12-22-2013 | 11:05 PM
Instructor

With the manual, the 4 is acceptable. With the automatic, it could be an issue. Depends on what you want. You can get a manual with the tech package in 09 - 10 but not sure about after that. Have a 2012 SE 6MT and no problems so far. No NAV and no Tech but standard stereo is pretty good and Nav on Android works just fine. Only miss the back up camera. With summer tires, handling is great and accerlation is good. Averaging 27.8 mpg in mixed driving over the last 1500 miles. Pulls all the way to 138 mph (although I have a CAI and RV6 pcd...
Old 01-07-2014 | 02:24 PM
Intermediate

I've owned my 2010 TSX for about 6 months now, bought it with 60k. Had to take it to Acura for a cold start grinding noise. As iCrap said, there is a TSB for it so it was replaced under warranty. Its been very cold this past week and I have noticed the grinding noise again, so I may call Acura to take a look. Not sure if anyone on here has had the VTC actuator replaced twice? I have also noticed that the XM radio signal is not that strong compared to other cars I've driven, so I'm not sure replacing the antennae would fix this or not. I haven't had any issues with the Navi or speakers or anything (knocks on wood). I play it pretty loud and it sounds great still.
Other than that I abosolutely love this car! People mention it is underpowered, but I have to disagree. I can overtake no problem, granted I have to downshift and floor it, but its decent for a 4cyl none the less.
I feel like its one of the quickest 4cyl lux sedans you can buy right now, so I am completely happy. Although if I ever get to drive the TSX V6, my opinion on the 4cyl might change a little.
Old 01-30-2014 | 12:34 AM
Advanced

Have 63k miles on my tsx, bough it pre-owned from original owner who was turning it in off lease. Bought it at 38k miles. I requested a tranny flush and they said new rear brakes. Have had zero issues. since I have changed the exhaust, upgraded to hfp 19 wheel w/summer tires and cai, body kit, spoiler etc. I like to hear my vetch roar �� have had zero issues. Love my car and have zero regrets. My next upgrade is going to be ct-engineering super charger with Hondata. Only issue I have had is left front speaker may need to be replaced.
Speaking of that, I have Acura care, are those covered?

Thanks guys.