Cleaning an Engine Bay with pressure wash? TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cleaning an Engine Bay with pressure wash? TSX?

I recently got into car wash and detailing and came across washing engine bay with pressure wash...

from what I saw from youtube was that some people just lightly pressure wash their engine without blocking any wiring...

I mean, some people don't ever look at their engines but having a clean bay does feel good... like having a brand new car!

Is it okay for TSX to be pressured washed and what product do you guys most recommend?

It's not like I will pressure wash any time soon but was interested...
Old 07-26-2015, 02:35 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
I did it to mine twice and it was fine.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:35 PM
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts
The majority of our under hood electronics are covered or sealed. Just be smart with the pressure washer. I only use it if the bay is super dirty or greasy, otherwise a spray bottle of water works just fine for light or touch up cleaning.

Just remember to remove the undercarriage tray before you crank on the pressure washer into the engine bay.
The following users liked this post:
atsx1313 (07-28-2015)
Old 07-26-2015, 06:28 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
You may want to spend more time on proper detailing forums. All it takes is a spritz in the wrong direction and you've done some serious damage. I guess it is OK if you do your own car because then the only person kicking you is yourself but make sure to get very good insurance if you bring a pressure washer anywhere near a client's car.

The proper way to clean an engine bay is with degreaser and a brush. A hose is necessary to wash it all down and don't forget to do the engine bay before you do the rest of your car. You'll also want to remove the underbody shields before you start - all that gunk needs to go somewhere.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,178 Likes on 886 Posts
You have to know what you're doing and excersize some caution. Don't concentrate the spray on sensors, connectors, or the alternator. Don't spray an open element air filter.

I've pressure washed engines for years. I have a 3600psi Honda pressure washer. I use a wider angle tip for less pressure, and I use simple green as a degreaser because it doesn't attack aluminum.

If I'm going to be working on a car, I first pressure wash the engine and chassis if they're dirty at all. I don't like getting all greasy/dirty working on cars.
atsx1313 (07-28-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 11:44 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Roland_Bluntzs
You have to know what you're doing and excersize some caution. Don't concentrate the spray on sensors, connectors, or the alternator. Don't spray an open element air filter.

I've pressure washed engines for years. I have a 3600psi Honda pressure washer. I use a wider angle tip for less pressure, and I use simple green as a degreaser because it doesn't attack aluminum.

If I'm going to be working on a car, I first pressure wash the engine and chassis if they're dirty at all. I don't like getting all greasy/dirty working on cars.
That is actually incorrect. Read it directly from the Simple Green FAQ . I love Simple Green but I use it very carefully around aluminum - especially around engine bays - because it is hard to get to all of the nooks and crannies. In addition, SG recommends "protecting" aluminum parts after cleaning with SG. How do you do that in an engine bay?
Old 07-27-2015, 11:52 AM
Safety Car

If they're saying to protect the aluminum AFTER cleaning with SG, that may just be to prevent oxidization of the aluminum in the future now that all the grease has been removed.

Kind of like needing to wax the car after clay bar application.

I've never seen spots or residue on aluminum after washing the simple green from it. Alternatively, dish soap and water in a spray bottle can be used. There's not much need for detergents if you're already using a good pressure washer.

I have also used a pressure washer with a steam boiler attached. Holy effing crap, that thing got everything looking like brand new. The $5k price tag put it out of the feasibility of "tools I like to buy just to have them around".
Old 07-27-2015, 12:50 PM
fbt
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
As an old British sport car guy I'm not keen high pressure water sprays around the engine. Some degreaser and a garden hose does the job fairly well. Just makes a mess at your house instead of the car wash.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:14 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fbt
As an old British sport car guy I'm not keen high pressure water sprays around the engine. Some degreaser and a garden hose does the job fairly well. Just makes a mess at your house instead of the car wash.
If I owned a british sports car, I'd be leary as hell of any water touching anything. Ironic that they come from an island where it rains 90% of the time.

I wouldn't even bring one out on a lightly humid day.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:55 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Why do the Brits drink warm beer? They all have Lucas refrigerators.

How do you know your Jaguar is on fire? All the gauges start working.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:02 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

If they're saying to protect the aluminum AFTER cleaning with SG, that may just be to prevent oxidization of the aluminum in the future now that all the grease has been removed.

Kind of like needing to wax the car after clay bar application.

I've never seen spots or residue on aluminum after washing the simple green from it. Alternatively, dish soap and water in a spray bottle can be used. There's not much need for detergents if you're already using a good pressure washer.

I have also used a pressure washer with a steam boiler attached. Holy effing crap, that thing got everything looking like brand new. The $5k price tag put it out of the feasibility of "tools I like to buy just to have them around".
I think the general admonishment not to let SG stay on for more than 10 minutes and the discussion about alkalinity combined with "make sure to wash it all off" is a clear indicator that SG will accelerate corrosion - not just the fact that it is clean.

I've used SG for years (and still do) but I've also seen the damage it can cause.

I guess there is a possibility that you know better than the manufacturer.

Consider yourself lucky if you've not had any issues.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:45 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ceb

Consider yourself lucky.
I always do. Every time I look in the mirror.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:49 PM
Safety Car

Anyway....if your level of concern borderlines on extreme...then I did suggest dish soap as an alternative. Its gentle enough to use on baby ducks while being tough enough to wash oil from the ocean.

If that seems risky, then maybe car wash soap?

Or no detergent at all?

Or hide under the covers until the safety of the night?

Whatever makes you feel incredibly, and maybe, even decadently comfortable enough to go do something.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:28 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Anyway....if your level of concern borderlines on extreme...then I did suggest dish soap as an alternative. Its gentle enough to use on baby ducks while being tough enough to wash oil from the ocean.

If that seems risky, then maybe car wash soap?

Or no detergent at all?

Or hide under the covers until the safety of the night?

Whatever makes you feel incredibly, and maybe, even decadently comfortable enough to go do something.
Actually, I'd recommend flatbedding the car from the factory or port of entry in an enclosed container and putting it directly into your garage and never drive it. No worries about dirt then.

My point was that one needs to use the proper products and techniques. If you use SG and like it, then fine, but you need to mention the downsides as well.

I took issue with your post because you stated that used SG because it would not damage aluminum. That is incorrect - at least according to SG.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:25 PM
Safety Car

You have to know what you're doing and excersize some caution.

...and I use simple green as a degreaser because it doesn't attack aluminum.
You tend to overlook things I say. Put the two statements (above) together.

From SG's site:

When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green Industrial Cleaner & Degreaser, and Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.
Simple Green has also developed break-through water based cleaners that are safe for use on metals, plastics, rubber and high tech alloys. Extreme Simple Green Aircraft & Precision Cleaner, Pro Series Simple Green Automotive Cleaner, and Simple Green Pro HD are available on both the industrial and retail markets, respectively. These products were initially developed for the aircraft industry and extensive testing shows that they are safe and effective on a variety of metals and other sensitive surfaces even in the most extreme circumstances.

Simple Green Stainless Steel One Step Cleaner & Polish is another option for cleaning polished aluminum. This product is designed for light duty metal cleaning and polishing.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:29 PM
Safety Car

I thought my post was pretty easy to process. But I guess to be more clearly express myself "if you use simple green as it is intended by the manufacturer, it won't harm your aluminum surfaces".
Old 07-28-2015, 06:41 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Actually, what you said was:

You tend to overlook things I say. Put the two statements (above) together.

From SG's site:

When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green Industrial Cleaner & Degreaser, and Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.
Simple Green has also developed break-through water based cleaners that are safe for use on metals, plastics, rubber and high tech alloys. Extreme Simple Green Aircraft & Precision Cleaner, Pro Series Simple Green Automotive Cleaner, and Simple Green Pro HD are available on both the industrial and retail markets, respectively. These products were initially developed for the aircraft industry and extensive testing shows that they are safe and effective on a variety of metals and other sensitive surfaces even in the most extreme circumstances.

Simple Green Stainless Steel One Step Cleaner & Polish is another option for cleaning polished aluminum. This product is designed for light duty metal cleaning and polishing.
I thought my post was pretty easy to process. But I guess to be more clearly express myself "if you use simple green as it is intended by the manufacturer, it won't harm your aluminum surfaces".
It was easy to process. You said you used SG because it wouldn't attack aluminum. SG says to rinse it off as soon as possible to prevent SG from doing damage.

Those two statements are inherently incompatible.

I'm done here. Anybody who uses SG on aluminum surfaces does so at their own risk. There are far better products to clean aluminum. SG is a great cleaner but it isn't made for cleaning aluminum.

Have fun trying to twist your original post into one that says something it doesn't.

Last edited by ceb; 07-28-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:58 AM
Safety Car

Lol. I like that you follow me around from thread to thread trying to sarcastically find some way to decredit me. I'm flattered about your obsessions with me....but I'm straight...and I'm not single.

Reading isn't your strong point, obviously. And all your posts dont really SAY anything. What? Are you threatened enough by me that you figure the internet isn't big enough for both of us or something?

Get a job, dude. Troll someone else. You should have figured out after the first time that it won't work with me.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:15 AM
Safety Car

From SG's site:
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green Industrial Cleaner & Degreaser, and Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used

Originally Posted by ceb
But first, make sure you get permission from both your parents. Have them tape a note to your lapel that lists your allergies and greatest fears. Also call your gynecologist and let him/her know your exact location via GPS pin. You'll then need 3 eggs from an eagle to ward off evil spirits. Even if you don't believe in all that....you can never be too safe. I hope this has been helpful.
atsx1313 (08-05-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 05:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
I've been using a pressure washing and Simple Green (5:1 mix) for more then 7 Honda/Acura's and have never had a problem The first picture is from my 2012 TSX and the second is of my old 2007 CRV (now my daughters) with 240k miles both cleaned after each oil change.
Attached Thumbnails Cleaning an Engine Bay with pressure wash? TSX?-tsxs-engine.jpg   Cleaning an Engine Bay with pressure wash? TSX?-crv-engine.jpg  
atsx1313 (08-05-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 10:46 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
You may want to spend more time on proper detailing forums. All it takes is a spritz in the wrong direction and you've done some serious damage. I guess it is OK if you do your own car because then the only person kicking you is yourself but make sure to get very good insurance if you bring a pressure washer anywhere near a client's car.

The proper way to clean an engine bay is with degreaser and a brush. A hose is necessary to wash it all down and don't forget to do the engine bay before you do the rest of your car. You'll also want to remove the underbody shields before you start - all that gunk needs to go somewhere.
it is really really hard to damage a car by spraying water on the engine....unless you soak the damn battery and electrical for an hour straight.

i steam wash my engine every year...no problems whatsoever.
atsx1313 (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 09:26 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
wow, thanks for the kindly answer guys...

but i would like to see a video demonstration on a TSX tho...
Old 08-06-2015, 05:01 PM
Safety Car

A video....demonstration. On a tsx?

This website.....
The following 2 users liked this post by BROlando:
iCrap (08-06-2015), xtcnrice (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 09:42 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I wash my engine bay about once a month either with a pressure washer or hose, and degreaser. Never had an issue. I just cover up my alternator with some plastic and let it ripp