Canadiandriver First Drive: 2009 Acura TSX - CAD Pricing Packages

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008 | 05:30 PM
Intermediate

Canadiandriver First Drive: 2009 Acura TSX - CAD Pricing Packages

Just a few highlights of the article:

"Standard TSX features include a premium AM/FM/CD/MP3 seven-speaker sound system with auxiliary jack for portable music players, dual-zone automatic climate control, Bluetooth connectivity with hands-free telephone operation, tilt and telescopic steering wheel, eight-way power driver's seat with manual lumbar adjuster, four-way power front passenger seat, and keyless entry with folding key. Also standard are dual-stage, dual-threshold front airbags, new dual-chamber front seat side airbags, and side curtain airbags. Three-point seatbelts and head restraints are provided for all five seating positions including new active front head restraints to help prevent whiplash in a rear-ender. The rear seat has Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH) system that allows for two child seats to be installed.

The TSX Premium Package adds perforated leather seats, XM satellite radio, USB port for memory sticks, two-position memory for the driver's seat, front fog lights, HID low-beam headlights, and automatic headlight operation.

To the Premium Package, the Technology Package adds a bi-lingual navigation system with voice recognition, colour screen, rearview camera, illuminated steering wheel controls, and an Acura/ELS premium sound system with ten speakers, and six-disc CD/DVD changer. "

PRICES IN CANADIAN CURRENCY
$32,900 - TSX (6-speed manual transmission)
$34,200 - TSX (5-speed automatic transmission)
$36,200 - TSX Premium Package (6-speed manual transmission)
$37,500 - TSX Premium Package (5-speed automatic transmission)
$39,000 - TSX Technology Package (6-speed manual transmission)
$40,300 - TSX Technology Package (5-speed automatic transmission)

http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdr...-acura-tsx.htm
Old 04-21-2008 | 09:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Thanks for the post!

Acura needs to pick up on prices. This is not aggressive enough, given that we are flirting around par with USD.

www.xe.com
Old 04-22-2008 | 08:42 AM
dP-
Instructor

on the pricing.
Old 04-22-2008 | 10:23 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sauceman
Thanks for the post!

Acura needs to pick up on prices. This is not aggressive enough, given that we are flirting around par with USD.

www.xe.com

No problem. Yea i agree the prices are daunting. Another factor is the rates as offered as to canadians.

I am not aware if the 1st Gen Canadian pricing had a difference in the auto vs manual packages as they do for the 2nd Gen Tsx.
Old 04-23-2008 | 02:24 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Didn't see this thread. I'll post what I posed in the one that got locked.

I think that if you feel 08 pricing was fair then 09 pricing is more than fair since its the same price but the 09 has additional content that makes it a better value.

If you thought it was overpriced to begin with, then ya, it still is. I think its overpriced only because I feel it should be closer to US pricing. Not the same but closer.
Old 04-23-2008 | 02:43 PM
JDM Addict

The Canadian Dollar is currently worth more than the American Dollar.

Therefore shouldn't the Canadian cars be of equal price, or even less?

Yes, they should.

I agree, the Canadians are getting screwed in this deal.
Just vs. US prices, there's almost no reason to buy a TSX in Canada.
Then vs. Competition, there's even less reason to buy a TSX in Canada.

The TSX may sell okay in the US, but I see it tanking in Canada.
This isn't 2004 you know?
The Canadian dollar isn't 60something% of the American dollar.
It's 100+% of the American dollar.

Prices should reflect that.
Old 04-23-2008 | 02:49 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MMsTSX
The Canadian Dollar is currently worth more than the American Dollar.

Therefore shouldn't the Canadian cars be of equal price, or even less?

Yes, they should.

I agree, the Canadians are getting screwed in this deal.
Just vs. US prices, there's almost no reason to buy a TSX in Canada.
Then vs. Competition, there's even less reason to buy a TSX in Canada.

The TSX may sell okay in the US, but I see it tanking in Canada.
This isn't 2004 you know?
The Canadian dollar isn't 60something% of the American dollar.
It's 100+% of the American dollar.

Prices should reflect that.
But back when the CAD $ was 60 odd cents we were making out like bandits so it goes both ways. I can understand why manf. don't drop and raise prices based on exchange.

But there are opportunities to do so with the release of a new model. Honda dropped the ball with the new Accord and now TSX. Toyota for one severely cut prices a few months back. In some cases up to 10K.

But Honda saw double digit sales growth in March so they really don''t have reason to drop prices.
Old 04-23-2008 | 02:49 PM
Pro

amen brother. However, i really don't see any of this happening anytime soon
Old 04-27-2008 | 01:25 PM
Safety Car

Thumbs up Another Canadian Review

TSX Continues to Move Along Smartly
Harry Pegg
Published: 23 04 2008

There are times when the theory of evolution plays with one’s emotions and driving the second generation Acura TSX is one of those times.

The 2009 version is slightly larger and a whole lot more fun to drive. On top of that, it’s more comfortable and contains more safety features.

Acura says its “entry premium” sedan is aimed at young professionals in their early to mid-’30s. In other words, they’re after the “look-at-me-crowd” with an eye to performance.

Demographic-setters be damned. This car appeals to me, too, and I’m well past the mid-’30s. I’m also not a look-at-me, attention seeker. Neither is my wife, who also likes the car.

Why?

Well, it looks good – a well-proportioned wedge shape with sharp lines and a solid stance. On the inside, the test car’s leather appointments are well crafted, the seats are comfortable and the passenger gets power seat adjusters. Both up-front seats get heat – which for my liking could be hotter, especially in the lower back area.

The test car came with everything you can put on, or in, a TSX. The company bills it as the Technology Package and it brings the price tag to $40,300, still not bad considering the equipment.

The base car, which starts at $32,900 brings considerable bang for the buck as it is. You get a moonroof, power passenger seat, remote entry, power everything, heated cloth seats, premium 7-speaker audio system and Bluetooth HandsFreeLink cell phone interface.

A premium package adds leather seats, XM radio, driver seat memory, and digital media auxiliary USB jack. The technology package gives you Acura/ELS Surround premium audio system with note feature for XM radio, navigation system with bilingual voice recognition, and a rearview camera.

Honda does manual transmissions so well, and that’s the basis for gear selection for all TSX models. It’s the kind of transmission that has you running up and down through the gears just for the fun of it.

The five-speed automatic offers steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters which work well enough, if you’d rather let electrics handle the job. The slushbox moves through the gears easily and smoothly and doesn’t hunt around for the right gear on long inclines.

To access the manual mode with its paddle shifters, you pull the gear selector straight back – no wacky gate system. Once there, you find this is a true sport shift – the transmission will hold the gear right to redline.

I have no problem with that nice bit of work, I just don’t like the left hand/right hand upshift/downshift system. Seems I’m always crabbing about this, but I’d rather be able to shift up or down with either hand.

But I certainly have no problem with what that transmission is connected to: Honda’s i-VTEC system that gets 201 horsepower out of a 2.4L 16-valve four-cylinder engine and it gets those horses moving with 170 lb.-ft. of torque (172 with the manual shifter).

Step on the gas and the car responds instantly, whether you’re passing on the highway or getting off the line at a traffic light. Power is there when you need it.

It’s not often you get even close to Transport Canada fuel consumption figures, but the test car did it. I didn’t believe it after driving 300 km, so I reset everything and had another go at it around town and on the highway for another 300 km…8.9L/100 km combined with the automatic transmission. That’s the combined figure for TSX with the manual transmission.

No, I wasn’t babying it, either. I was having too much fun playing in corners. This car loves the bendy bits.

On dry roads, stability control with traction control jump into the fray only when you get the car considerably out of shape…and that’s not an easy thing to do. When roads get icy (and I had this thing when a spring blizzard belted the Calgary area), the system ensures you maintain course.

The new generation has developed better manners on the road. The ride is smoother and the cabin is much quieter than before, a nice place to enjoy your music on the 10-speaker surround sound system. The only time I noticed wind noise was in a howling 60 km/h crosswind and even then it wasn’t unbearable.

Cabin space is good for four people and the trunk can swallow a rather impressive amount of gear. If two people are on a road trip, the split/folding rear seatback drops down to increase the hauling capacity.

Here, in short, are some other highlights about this car:

Headlights provide excellent illumination. You don’t find yourself straining to see ahead in the dark.

Navigation system is easy to get along with and the mapping is quite up to date.

Phone interface sets up easily and works well.

The switch for the power moonroof is on the overhead console (and about time, too!).

Backup camera provides a good rearward view and stays cleaner longer when the roads get crappy.

If you’re looking for a car in this category, be sure you put the TSX on your to-look-at list.
Summary:
Year/Make/Model
2009 Acura TSX
Price as tested
$40,300
Trim level
Technology Package
Price range
$32,900 - $40,300
Freight
$1,725
Options
Technology Package ($6,100) includes 10-speaker surround sound audio, DVD-audio, Acura navigation with bilingual voice recognition and rearview camera; TSX Premium Package ($3,300) includes leather seats, XM radio, automatic headlights, drive memory seat, digital media auxiliary USB jack, HID headlights and fog lamps; 5-speed automatic with paddle shifters ($1,300)
EnerGuide fuel economy ratings
9.6 L/100km city; 6.5 L/100km hwy
Observed fuel economy
8.9 L/100 km combined over 600 km
Warranty (basic)
5 years/100,000 km
Warranty (powertrain)
5 years/100,000 km
Competitors
Audi A4; BMW 3-Series; Lexus IS
Strong Points
* - solid feel
* - excellent handling
* - small appetite for fuel
Weak Points
* - left hand/right hand paddle shifting can get you out of sync

Editors Rating:
Fuel consumption 4.5/5 *
Averaged 8.9L/100 km combined ... checked it twice.
Value for price 4/5 *
Technology pack is the full-meal deal and decent value for the buck.
Styling 3.5/5 *
Slightly conservative on the outside but with understated elegance inside.
Comfort 4.5/5 *
Good head and leg room (unless rear seat passengers are tall), comfortable seating.
Performance 4/5 *
Nice launch off the line. Good acceleration across wide torque band.
Overall 4/5 *
If you’re looking at this segment, put this one on your list.
Old 04-27-2008 | 01:38 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

8.9L/100km, that's 26.5mpg. That's pretty good for spirited driving.
Old 04-27-2008 | 03:00 PM
Pro

Good review, thanks for posting it TSX69. The reviewer seems to echo many of my observations on the car. I was also very impressed with the response off the line, especially considering it's a 3500 lb. sedan powered by a modestly powerful naturally aspirated 4-cylinder. Good to hear about the fuel economy too.
Old 04-27-2008 | 03:19 PM
Intermediate

maybe once they see the drop in sales here in canada because of the price, maybe they'll lower it next year
Old 04-27-2008 | 04:00 PM
Safety Car

Lexus

Originally Posted by anTo
maybe once they see the drop in sales here in canada because of the price, maybe they'll lower it next year
Did Lexus not just have to drop the prices of their cars in Canada? If so, I hope Acura takes heed ...
Old 04-28-2008 | 12:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TSX69
Did Lexus not just have to drop the prices of their cars in Canada? If so, I hope Acura takes heed ...
if i remember correctly, lexus did drop like 3k price in the IS, very tempting
Old 04-28-2008 | 06:41 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

It's more like 5k for the IS250, and 6k for the IS350. Pretty sweet deal.
Old 04-29-2008 | 12:33 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iforyou
It's more like 5k for the IS250, and 6k for the IS350. Pretty sweet deal.
ya u're right, my bad, extremely good deal compared to the acura lol