Automatic vs Manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 05:30 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
(Re: Above posts about Si and TSX 6MT's being the same.)

My 07 Si had a constantly recurring 3rd gear synchro grind that I thankfully don't have with the TSX.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stand by that, never did I say I took back any of my comments I meant them all with resounding sincerity. A 201hp 4cly mt sedan is a joke, you can disagree to each his own, but I still think it's a joke and I'm not the only one. You're the fascist for striking down an opinion contrary to popular acceptance.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:35 PM

This coming from a guy that warned of premature engine rusting as a result of using CAI's.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-performance-parts-modifications-299/what-happens-when-your-cai-sucks-water-721331/

Ladies and gentlemen, the BB backstroke. Ta-da!
Old 04-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
I've posted in this thread couple times but never read any of the comments. I Just read through BB_Incs comments and I have to agree with everyone else. Your comments don't come off so much as opinions but as insults. If you are trying to persuade us into understanding your "opinion," you are asking all of us 6mt owners to come out and say we made a mistake choosing the manual transmission for a car that you clearly think does not deserve to have one. And for us to say that is absolutely ridiculous. Some people will drive Autos and some will drive stick, thats the reality. By saying that the 6mt is a joke..thats pretty harsh
Old 04-21-2009, 05:46 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Where did I "strike down" your opinion? For the record I think you're an idiot for the "logic" you applied in supporting your position. It's fine if your arguing your point from a set of assumptions that include opinions but opinions cannot soundly support a thesis of fact, which you made. Therefore, you are an idiot. QED.

You're an asshole for thinking your opinion matters so much.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:54 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
No reason to lock the thread in case anyone was wondering.

The regulars dealing with the idiots is more effective than a ban or lock.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BB_inc
I stand by that, never did I say I took back any of my comments I meant them all with resounding sincerity. A 201hp 4cly mt sedan is a joke, you can disagree to each his own, but I still think it's a joke and I'm not the only one. You're the fascist for striking down an opinion contrary to popular acceptance.
You've been pretty thoroughly discredited for a guy that thinks so highly of their own opinion.

So here's a fair warning; you might be an idiot. Please use extra caution when speaking or typing on the Internet as you are liable to trip over yourself in view of others.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dom
No reason to lock the thread in case anyone was wondering.

The regulars dealing with the idiots is more effective than a ban or lock.
From the perspective of those participating this is always the case.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Intermediate

To: LukeaTron

Aren't you being a hypocrite atm replying to someone you have no business wasting time with? Or rather are you so flustered by the fact someone sullied your imaculate "sports sedan" by calling it a lawnmower, daewoo, and a joke that you have an unrelenting need to respond regardless of prior resolve? In addition, any points you make are void in regards to whether or not I've asserted my opinion as fact, for the only fact I presented was that the tsx was a joke as a sports sedan. You honestly can't argue with that, unless you can somehow manage to beat a m3 sedan. Besides when you read reviews on this car the one thing that always stands out is: "underpowered" That's always something associated with sports sedans right?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Banned

for the only fact I presented was that the tsx was a joke as a sports sedan. You honestly can't argue with that, unless you can somehow manage to beat a m3 sedan. Besides when you read reviews on this car the one thing that always stands out is: "underpowered" That's always something associated with sports sedans right?
That's unabashed trolling. An M3 is more expensive than not only a TSX but most other sports sedans on the market. There are sports sedans that are slower and cheaper than the TSX. Are they even bigger jokes? No. You choose the adjective "joke" simply to annoy others, and people who do that are... douche bags!
Old 04-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Vancouver B.C.

To: LukeaTron

Aren't you being a hypocrite atm replying to someone you have no business wasting time with? Or rather are you so flustered by the fact someone sullied your imaculate "sports sedan" by calling it a lawnmower, daewoo, and a joke that you have an unrelenting need to respond regardless of prior resolve? In addition, any points you make are void in regards to whether or not I've asserted my opinion as fact, for the only fact I presented was that the tsx was a joke as a sports sedan. You honestly can't argue with that, unless you can somehow manage to beat a m3 sedan. Besides when you read reviews on this car the one thing that always stands out is: "underpowered" That's always something associated with sports sedans right?
cmon are you gonna do this for real? I'll be nice on you and just say this: what people see as sporty is largely based on opinion and relies on what it is being compared to. It is completely subjective and everyone will have different views on what is considered sporty. And unless it's a dodge caravan or Astro safari van, I think..er I KNOW the TSX can geuninely be considered a sports sedan by some people. And Lukeatron is correct in saying you cannot use your opinion as evidence of fact...and you my friend are speaking your words as if they were facts, but trying to divert negative attention just by saying its your opinion.

Last edited by ttk5; 04-21-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
(Re: Above posts about Si and TSX 6MT's being the same.)

My 07 Si had a constantly recurring 3rd gear synchro grind that I thankfully don't have with the TSX.
This was fixed mid '08 model year, and my Si is from late '08 model year, so mine doesn't have that issue. Honda sent a bunch of the 6MT's to France to have some company modify the tranny housing to fix an issue where there wasn't enough lube getting to the 3rd gear synchro.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Racer

Oh and thanks for carrying the torch guys, I got tired of arguing with this guy... lol
Old 04-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Vancouver B.C.

For those of you who need catching up, here's where were at.

BB_Inc's new claim.

the tsx was a joke as a sports sedan. You honestly can't argue with that, unless you can somehow manage to beat a m3 sedan

I normally don't like to get so involved in threads like this, but cmon dude...look at what you're saying

Last edited by ttk5; 04-21-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Advanced

I searched and researched for over year, to the point that my wife and friends were sick of hearing about what I was considering to get for my next car. I test drove a lot of cars several times. I knew I want shifted myself (I feel a MT just more engaging to drive). I knew I wanted something with 4 doors (I have two kids), something with good gas milage, a good handling car and most importantly I wanted something FUN to drive. In my opinion TSX is the perfect balance of all the things I was looking for in a vehicle. I had a AT loaner when our MDX was in for service and I really liked it. Then I test drove it with the MT and I LOVE it! I agree what others have said "I can not stop smiling when I drive this car". I am so happy with my decision. My decision came down to the TSX and Civic Si, because of the feel of the MT. They are both a blast to drive. I do not feel the TSX is under powered for my needs. Sure it can't tow my boat, but that is why I have an MDX. I am glad they make both a AT and MT, choices are good! The TSX is so close to perfect. It would be perfect if we got the wagon version.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jjmdx
I searched and researched for over year, to the point that my wife and friends were sick of hearing about what I was considering to get for my next car. I test drove a lot of cars several times. I knew I want shifted myself (I feel a MT just more engaging to drive). I knew I wanted something with 4 doors (I have two kids), something with good gas milage, a good handling car and most importantly I wanted something FUN to drive. In my opinion TSX is the perfect balance of all the things I was looking for in a vehicle. I had a AT loaner when our MDX was in for service and I really liked it. Then I test drove it with the MT and I LOVE it! I agree what others have said "I can not stop smiling when I drive this car". I am so happy with my decision. My decision came down to the TSX and Civic Si, because of the feel of the MT. They are both a blast to drive. I do not feel the TSX is under powered for my needs. Sure it can't tow my boat, but that is why I have an MDX. I am glad they make both a AT and MT, choices are good! The TSX is so close to perfect. It would be perfect if we got the wagon version.
Amen.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Pro

I find it strange that someone would buy a car that they seriously compare to a Daewoo and a lawn mower.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Banned

Let alone join a forum for that car. I have a Honda Odessey but don't talk about it. I don't even know how to spell Odessey for crissakes.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by wackura
Let alone join a forum for that car. I have a Honda Odessey but don't talk about it. I don't even know how to spell Odessey for crissakes.
lolzzz
Old 04-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Advanced

wackura - Just go with "Ody" for short
I have one of those as well (for one more month as the TSX is replacing my Ody lease). I had to get the TSX before the Ody lease was up since the manual transmission supply was dwindling (Colin mentioned this earlier in this thread about the TSX MT supplies getting low). So I had a two months overlap, but it was worth it to get the MT TSX.

On a semi-related note, I would buy a MT Odyssey if they made one with a MT as good as the TSX

Oh if you ever need to discuss your Ody check out: http://odyclub.com/
Old 04-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Racer

:theghey: ur a joke..
Old 04-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wooohooo. Popcorn and pop. My I test drove the 6MT and the AT. Althought I found the AT to hold each gear relatively well, I still found the 6MT more engaging and fun to drive. I had both cars overnight and put over 100 kms on each demo. The AT seemed uninvolved to me and the paddle shifters are usless IMO. I do have to agree that this car is underpowered and said so when a thread 'what three things would you change?' was started. That said, this car is very well balanced. I could have purchased a Mazda Speed3 for less money that would have spanked this car day after day but power delivery was horrible, archaic at best. I could have purchased an M3 but didn't want a car that was going to cost me the same in maintenance as a new TSX once the warranty was up.

At the end of the day the choice between AT and 6MT is yours. Best thing to do is drive both cars on the same 'circuit'. In my opinion an AT is like cruise control. It's lazy and boring.

But that's just my opinion.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Even from a driver with an automatic, I have to say the manual will definitely be more fun, I have tried it and loved it. Let's just say there were other factors that kind of made choose an automatic i.e mom despite me paying for it. But even when I think all is lost, the automatic will keep me happy until i can get a second car with a manual.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:58 AM
Instructor

6MT without question. I'm still deep in deliberation about which car I will eventually buy (I'm still shopping all over the spectrum), but my last few test drives have ensured one thing: I will buy a manual whatever I buy.

I tried out the 2G TSX and the BMW 128i, both with sticks and with autos, and all I could say was YES YES YES at the experience of the transmissions. The two cars are totally different -- that's another topic -- but the commonality was that I much preferred the stick over the auto in both cars.

For me, I love the experience of controlling the gear shifting in the car. It makes daily driving more fun. It's true that commutes with a stick can get old, but I still think it's worth the joy. Some of the advanced DSG autos do a darn good job of shifting and replicating manuals (I don't like the TSX paddle shifters by the way -- the shift response isn't good enough), but a clutch and shifter are still in a class of their own.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
There is no right or wrong answer to the question of whether to go manual or auto. Other people's opinions don't matter much, as it's each individual buyer who will have to live with the car, not others. Simply test drive both and decide for yourself. I went to the dealer intending to get the auto so my girlfriend would be able to drive it also. So I test drove the auto first - and found it to be kind of a dog, especially on a steep hill. So then I took out the manual next, and it was like driving a totally different car. The auto did not feel like a 200 hp car, but the manual did. The torque ratings are not much different in reality (I think like 5 lbs ft.), but it felt to me like the manual had much more torque and an extra 30 hp. Car and Driver got a 6.7 sec 0-60 out of a manual. I believe it. The auto felt like it would be a full second slower. I left the dealer that day with a manual TSX. I personally don't really get the whole auto with paddle shifter thing. I say if you want to manually control the gears, then get the real thing. Otherwise, just pop it into "D" and be done with it.

Both have pros and cons. The auto has better mileage ( 1 mpg better city, 2 better hwy) and is less hassle in traffic. But the price is all the engine power loss an auto requires to operate. The stick feels like it has an extra 30 hp and 30 lbs. ft. of torque. However, it uses more gas and is a pain in traffic. Oh, but boy are those cons worth it when you hit the open road. One last thing: manual transmissions are supposedly the world's greatest theft deterrent in North America.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Personal story here: 5'6" basketball player. Only reason I could play is that I was usually the fastest guy on the court. But I'm older now, sooooo.....my joints now creak like the doors on an old haunted mansion. My daily driver was never going to be an MT. I know this because my daily driver was an MT, and I was sacrificing my left knee and hip joints and my personal comfort for the sake of being an "enthusiast" daily. No way.

However, I do consider myself an enthusiast. My wife and I are both MT drivers, so we are considering buying a RWD MT roadster or coupe for our weekend driver. Something setup properly and something just for being an enthusiast.

While I used to care for the stigma that driving an AT get you on a message board, I honestly don't anymore. The truth is, the MT is the better driving car. But I'd be much more dissatisfied with myself if I let the internet decide what transmission I should have chosen. Its a personal choice more than it is a argument on fuel economy, power to the wheels, etc. Consider yourself first, then the transmission.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Personal story here: 5'6" basketball player. Only reason I could play is that I was usually the fastest guy on the court. But I'm older now, sooooo.....my joints now creak like the doors on an old haunted mansion. My daily driver was never going to be an MT. I know this because my daily driver was an MT, and I was sacrificing my left knee and hip joints and my personal comfort for the sake of being an "enthusiast" daily. No way.

However, I do consider myself an enthusiast. My wife and I are both MT drivers, so we are considering buying a RWD MT roadster or coupe for our weekend driver. Something setup properly and something just for being an enthusiast.

While I used to care for the stigma that driving an AT get you on a message board, I honestly don't anymore. The truth is, the MT is the better driving car. But I'd be much more dissatisfied with myself if I let the internet decide what transmission I should have chosen. Its a personal choice more than it is a argument on fuel economy, power to the wheels, etc. Consider yourself first, then the transmission.
Understandable.

GET AN S2000

I miss mine so much, such a great 3rd car for the weekends.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Cruisin'

I too have driven both 2nd Gen TSX in manual and auto. When i first drove the a/t i thought the transmission was good, but it made the car feel underpowered. I don't drive with both hands and if you don't either, then paddle shifters are annoying. After driving the m/t I bought one and never looked back. Personally I find the car a lot more enjoyable to drive with in manual and it's quite quick when going through the gears.
0-60 in high 6.7 if you're good and don't mind destroying tire life
Old 04-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Luca_09
I don't drive with both hands and if you don't either, then paddle shifters are annoying.
That's a great point. I never even thought of that.

I never gave sports shift in general much thought because having the driver do something an AT is supposed to do by itself is extremely patronizing.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by wackura
That's a great point. I never even thought of that.

I never gave sports shift in general much thought because having the driver do something an AT is supposed to do by itself is extremely patronizing.
Yeah, and they don't exactly have a stellar track record, ask someone with an 97-01 Prelude with the sport shift blah blah whatever it was called. Drive it like a stick and Ahhh Ahhh CHOOO! New tranny, please.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Banned

Really? Consumer Reports has found that Prelude to be quite reliable with no real caveats about its automatic.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Breako
Really? Consumer Reports has found that Prelude to be quite reliable with no real caveats about its automatic.
Like I said, drive it like you would a stick (use the sport shift mostly instead of occasionally) or drive normally with light bolt-ons to a relatively low boost turbo/supercharger and buh-bye.

(Not even Level 10 had many that stayed together...personal experience there.)
Old 04-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Banned

At any rate, the TSX automatic is a great option for those of us who didn't grow up driving a manual, don't plan to learn,don't want to HAVE to manually shift all the time in heavy traffic, but do know how and when one probably should manually shift an automatic.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Banned

I have to admit, I'm staunchly in favor of manual but I'm surprised to see the same adamance on the AT side, it seems a bit like being a die hard lover of skim milk.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Banned

Arguably, wackura, the hardcore manual love is like a diehard love for buttermilk if we want to carry the analogy a bit further. Buttermilk is a bit much for some people, just right for others.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Racer

Except that I think you guys have your analogies backwards from a performance standpoint... LOL
Old 04-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by mucter
Understandable.

GET AN S2000

I miss mine so much, such a great 3rd car for the weekends.

s2k I've wanted one for the longest.

Unfortunately, my wife and I can only agree on a boxster (which isn't so bad). She doesn't like s2ks (or miatas for that matter, but I don't like miatas either).

To add to my story though, I miss having an MT very much. I at least want to have one in the garage for a little fun once in awhile.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:03 PM
Intermediate

I got an automatic because the tsx is my communter car. 20k+ miles a year in stop and go traffic is a pita but a necessary evil for being part owner of a business. Plus, it's easier to sell when you need to get rid of the car.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Instructor

Wow, i was away from the forum for 3 days and what a barn burner thread!?!?! The accident rate per mile driven is lower with a manual than an automatic as it forces you to pay attention to the conditions better. I put both of my kids in manuals when they started driving to keep them focused.

All said, to each their own, however the TSX is the best 6 speed, best clutch action I have ever driven, and the joy of selecting what gear you want in different conditions (hill, curve, accelerate, decelerate) keeps the smile on your face all the way. The loss in trade in for a manual is worth the price of enjoyment. It is the manual that brought me to the TSX.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Banned

At the same time, it can be argued that a manual is a source of distraction that you cannot get rid of at times when it might make sense to do so (e.g., during heavy traffic). At least the sportshift automatic gives you that option.

Quick Reply: Automatic vs Manual