am i getting ripped? (lease quote)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:33 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
am i getting ripped? (lease quote)

emailed one of the local acura dealerships last night (wantagh, ny) and I got this offer:

base: 362.84/month @ 36X10 - no money down - 0 cap cost reduction, full term gap insurance protection.

tech: 419/month

price for both includes rear spoiler.

now, i stopped by the dealership with my dad to check the car out. test drove it, and was satisfied with the vehicle.

in my initial email, i let the salesman know i wanted to pay invoice for the vehicle. apparently, the price he quoted me was "$1200 above invoice." he also said, "you can offer to pay invoice - but i'm not sure if the house will take it - i'd have to see john (im assuming the sales manager, who was not in) for that.

he showed me the residuals and for a 36X10 lease the difference between base and tech was 66% vs 63%. i also did notice that the expiration date for those residuals were july 8th.

also, the spoiler was supposedly an additional $600 (including installation).

if we were to bump the lease to 48X12 - the prices would be as follows:

tech: 407/month (still including spoiler, which i dont think i'm going to go with anymore)
base ~ 348/month (he said the tech was about 58/60 more a month than base)

my dad's bought two MDX's from the dealership before - unforutnately the salesman he dealt with is no longer with them. the guy said he'd "try to save me as much money as possible as he wants my business - I'll definitely go in the back and try to get my sales manager as low as possible for you." he said he'd try to get at least $200 off, but then started talking about how "that's not even that much money off - it shouldn't be a deal breaker"

i mean - the man did appear helpful and honest, but i just feel like i'm being thrown around a little bit. of course, he said that if i felt like doing shopping at other dealerships that they'd be right there with them, and how his store is a good store that doesn't beat up its customers.

i've been doing a lot of reading and i see people getting GREAT deals.

to be perfectly honest, i REALLY want the navi - i know i have no real use for it, but i just like it as a toy. i know the smart decision is to go with the base and just pick up a garmin, but it's just so much cooler. also, you think its worth to try and get tints thrown in or just get it done on my own outside of the dealership
Old 06-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Those figures are not including the $595 acquisition fee and first month's payment that you will have to pay up front at a minimum. You also have to pay taxes, title, and registration fees. Those latter items can all be paid up front or financed, so you'll either be adding it to the amount due at signing or into your monthy payment. But ou aren't going to walk out of there with no money down, no matter what the guy says. You will at a minimum pay the acquisition fee and first month's payment. That's required by Honda Financial.

That said, your deal sounds a little better than mine. I pay $385 per month for a base with no spoiler ($25 per month of that is taxes). I drove off after paying $2000 at signing - $1500 in fees including the 1st mo. payment, and the leftover $500 went to cap cost reduction. It all worked out to be about $400 below MSRP, which was better than most were getting in May. I got a 69% residual that expired May 31st. If not for that residual, I would have never agreed to pay so close to MSRP. But in the world of leasing, such an unrealistically high residual is the same as a discount.

The spoiler is $600 installed. He wasn't lying about that. But you'd better find out what you really will have to put down. I can assure you either it ain't gonna be zero, or you'll be paying much more than that quoted monthly figure.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow...you guys had some pretty high residual values...Its no where near these values in Canada, not sure why. Maybe other Canucks can chime in to see what kind of residuals you guys were given for your lease...I'd be curious....I guess I don't care anymore, the deal is done and now I am just having too much fun to worry about a few dollars...
Old 06-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Racer

check the "Sign-in" post to see what im paying. -> $386 after tax for tech model
Old 06-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Advanced

When i considered leasing the 09 tsx about two weeks ago the dealer told me the residual is 69% for non-tech and 66% for tech and the money factor is 0.0026. Just put those numbers in a lease calculator with the car selling price you should be able to work out your monthly payment. I got 414/mo for non-tech with no option since the car is selling close to MSRP (36mo/10k, pays acquisition fee and 1st month payment upfront). So I think 363/mo is pretty good.

Though later I found out no bank would approve my lease since I'm not native american... I have to move to purchasing and live with a ultra high APR
Old 06-26-2008, 10:23 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Craig-D
But you'd better find out what you really will have to put down. I can assure you either it ain't gonna be zero, or you'll be paying much more than that quoted monthly figure.
hah yeh i'm definitely aware i'm gonna be putting a substantial amount of money down. you were right on though - the quote did not include the $595, first months payment, and the title/tax/registration. i'm ready to pay that up front so i guess it is what it is.

what's weird to me is that he was trying to convince me out of the tech package and trading my car in to them. he told me straight up, "youre gonna have to talk yourself out of that tech package my friend," and even winked at my dad when he said it. youd think it would be in his best interest to make me spend the extra money, as well as trade my POS celica to them instead of selling it privately.

i know i'm going to end up with the base, but i just really, REALLY want the navi - for a purely aesthetic, image, man-toy reason.

it sucks - i know the best decision is to wait longer to buy the vehicle - but my current car (2000 toyota celica gt with free dents throughout) is pushing 100K and reaching the point where its not worth it to keep it a few more months. once again, it is what it is.

you guys have any inside info on anything i can do to try and get the most possible out of these guys? at the very least im gonna send this price around to the other dealerships and play who wants to beat the deal. i hate getting grimy and trying to use my job (enterprise) to get a little bit out of them but whatever.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:27 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ill45
check the "Sign-in" post to see what im paying. -> $386 after tax for tech model

That is fantastic. How did you negotiate that
Old 06-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jenqins
That is fantastic. How did you negotiate that

shopped the money factor rate and residual rate at various dealers to make sure they were telling me the truth. Then plugged it into my home made excel worksheet that i took to the dealer on my TREO to make sure i got the best deal
Old 06-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Advanced

hah yeh i'm definitely aware i'm gonna be putting a substantial amount of money down. you were right on though - the quote did not include the $595, first months payment, and the title/tax/registration. i'm ready to pay that up front so i guess it is what it is.

what's weird to me is that he was trying to convince me out of the tech package and trading my car in to them. he told me straight up, "youre gonna have to talk yourself out of that tech package my friend," and even winked at my dad when he said it. youd think it would be in his best interest to make me spend the extra money, as well as trade my POS celica to them instead of selling it privately.

i know i'm going to end up with the base, but i just really, REALLY want the navi - for a purely aesthetic, image, man-toy reason.

it sucks - i know the best decision is to wait longer to buy the vehicle - but my current car (2000 toyota celica gt with free dents throughout) is pushing 100K and reaching the point where its not worth it to keep it a few more months. once again, it is what it is.

you guys have any inside info on anything i can do to try and get the most possible out of these guys? at the very least im gonna send this price around to the other dealerships and play who wants to beat the deal. i hate getting grimy and trying to use my job (enterprise) to get a little bit out of them but whatever.
The dealer maybe right about the tech package. Electronic gadgets depreciates faster, which makes a big difference on residual (3% here). So you can get a better deal on leasing a non-tech one.

If you want to do a trade-in. Just remember don't put those money down as capital reduction in order to get a better monthly payment number.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Intermediate

you guys pay so mch for a lease! Not worth it!
Old 07-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Does anyone else have experience with Island Acura ( this Wantagh dealership)? I'm trying to find the best dealership in the 5 boroughs or Long Island, and I haven't been impressed with what Ive see so far! Rallye Acura is supposed to be great, but I can't say I've been treated that nicely there. OP, aside from your question of a fair quote, do you like Island Acura? To me, dealership experience is an absolute factor in choosing to by my car. I know I want it, I just need to find someone Im comfortable working with.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by altezzajovy
you guys pay so mch for a lease! Not worth it!
someone people just always want to stay up to date with the latest cars and not have to worry about maintenance problems down the line
Old 07-06-2008, 01:34 PM
5th Gear

money factor from the acura dealership i have been dealing with is .0025 (6%) - what do you think?
Old 07-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
money factor from the acura dealership i have been dealing with is .0025 (6%) - what do you think?
Depends on your credit. I had a top credit score, so my rate was a little better than that. I forget the actual money factor number, but when I converted it, the percentage was 5.4%.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:53 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Craig-D
Depends on your credit. I had a top credit score, so my rate was a little better than that. I forget the actual money factor number, but when I converted it, the percentage was 5.4%.

i just checked - my credit score according to experian is 737