Acura TSX "No Leather"...wtf

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009 | 09:46 PM
Instructor

Acura TSX "No Leather"...wtf

So i went to the auto show in toronto with my friends, and i always compare Acura, Lexus, Infiniti with BMW, Mercedes, Audi respectably by that i mean i don't go and say RL is better than BMW 7 Series nothing crazy I keep it the comparable. Anyways so my friends think its ok car i love acura or else i would not be here. ANYWAYS lol, we walk in to the show and Acura is where the Honda cars were beside Subaru Ford. So my first thing is why they didn't put Acura in a better spot...with Infiniti and stuff like that, but whatever its ok. THE MAIN POINT HERE IS I SEE THE NEW TSX AND IT HAS NO LEATHER...

I was not aware of options like this...I don't want to say but easier to say here than in person is Acura really as nice as i am used to thinking it is...

Just wanted to share with you guys...maybe see your re-actions lol.
Old 02-22-2009 | 09:50 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Must be a Canadian thing, because every Acura comes standard with leather and has for years here.
Old 02-22-2009 | 09:54 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

The base model has no leather. Last I checked the 3 series, A4 and a few others offer a base model with no leather. No biggie.

And wasn't Infiniti right beside Nissan and Lexus right beside Toyota?

http://www.autoshow.ca/2009/whereandwhen_intmap.php

Looks like they were.
Old 02-22-2009 | 09:55 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by iTimmy
Must be a Canadian thing, because every Acura comes standard with leather and has for years here.
It is. They just began doing that with 09's. Its so they can advertise a $32,xxx starting price since a Tech pack TSX nears or hits 40K.
Old 02-22-2009 | 10:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Canada has 3 models available, Base, Premium, and Tech. The Base has cloth interior while the other 2 come with leather standard.

In the U.S., only the Premium and Tech are offered.
Old 02-23-2009 | 06:34 AM
Senior Moderator

I knew that Canada had a base model with no leather, but I don't think it's the trim they should bring to show. It doesn't exactly show their best efforts.
Old 02-23-2009 | 08:51 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I knew that Canada had a base model with no leather, but I don't think it's the trim they should bring to show. It doesn't exactly show their best efforts.
I'm guessing there was more than one TSX at the show.
Old 02-23-2009 | 10:15 AM
Instructor

that is an AWEFUL move by acura tier one?? are you kidding me? yeah lets bring in a car with no leather seats, yeah come buy our LUX car, with cloth..............................moronsssss. This isn't even an "enthusiast" rant for crying out loud if thats what they did the average joe is gonna just always think acura is the bottom of the food chain.
Old 02-23-2009 | 10:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AATSX
THE MAIN POINT HERE IS I SEE THE NEW TSX AND IT HAS NO LEATHER...
IMO, no leather isn't a bad thing. The bad thing is it had CLOTH SEATING!!! WTF, I can get cloth in the Accord. If it had a nice pleather, I don't think anyone would complain (MB, BMW, and Audi have been in the pleather and leatherette game for years).
Old 02-23-2009 | 10:34 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cwhsu
that is an AWEFUL move by acura tier one?? are you kidding me? yeah lets bring in a car with no leather seats, yeah come buy our LUX car, with cloth..............................moronsssss. This isn't even an "enthusiast" rant for crying out loud if thats what they did the average joe is gonna just always think acura is the bottom of the food chain.
Ummm... BMW, Audi, MB and Lexus' all offer models with no leather.

Maybe I'll post it again just to be sure it isn't missed.
Old 02-23-2009 | 10:42 AM
Drifting

It's an option to have leather or not. Why is that so stupendous? For what it's worth the cloth seats in the previous gen 3 series were really quite nice. It can definitely be done well.

Some people are too hung up on the bling. For me, if it does what it's supposed to while not offending the senses, I see so no reason to hate it.
Old 02-23-2009 | 10:44 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Leather

If I am not mistaken the Lexus ES350 can be equipped w/ cloth altho I suspect that you will be hard pressed to find one on the lots. BMW offers leatherette. & if memory serves, Mercedes started offering cloth to appease animal rights activists. Altho I agree cloth may not be as luxurious as leather, it is not an uncommon choice in the market.
Old 02-23-2009 | 10:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
It's an option to have leather or not. Why is that so stupendous? For what it's worth the cloth seats in the previous gen 3 series were really quite nice. It can definitely be done well.

Some people are too hung up on the bling. For me, if it does what it's supposed to while not offending the senses, I see so no reason to hate it.
I don't think most people see a problem with offering cloth seats.
The problem I see is that particular trim should not be brought to a show where you are supposed to bring your A game, especially considering Acura is trying to move up to Tier 1. Cloth seats don't display a manfacturer's Tier 1 aspirations. IMO of course.
Old 02-23-2009 | 11:32 AM
Burning Brakes

I don't think most people see a problem with offering cloth seats.
The problem I see is that particular trim should not be brought to a show where you are supposed to bring your A game, especially considering Acura is trying to move up to Tier 1. Cloth seats don't display a manfacturer's Tier 1 aspirations. IMO of course.
Could be regional though. They may want to be Tier 1 in the states (hence no Base model even available) but would like to cater to a lower income bracket of people in other countries.
Old 02-23-2009 | 11:41 AM
Drifting

Keep in mind, most autoshows are targeting potential buyers. Yes they like to show off their fancy new toys but that's mostly just to draw potential customers over their area. A lot of cars are actually sold on site. It's much more of a practicality than it is a media affair (with the obvious exceptions of the big ones like SEMA, Geneva, Detroit, etc. where every one one tries to out splash the competition).
Old 02-23-2009 | 12:10 PM
Racer

I agree that there is nothing wrong with cloth (the bf wishes he could have gotten cloth in his audi, he hates leather), but I also agree it isn't appropriate for a show, even if they are targeting potential buyers.
Old 02-23-2009 | 12:10 PM
Advanced

if you think base tsx with no leather is bad (Canadian only model), at least its heated. Take a look at the base is250, no leather, no heated seats, no sunroof, 16" wheels.... no bluetooth. now that's a joke. don't even get me started about the pathetic B class we get here.
Old 02-23-2009 | 01:15 PM
Team Owner

Old 02-23-2009 | 01:20 PM
Instructor

Canadia always gets america's hand me downs...
Old 02-23-2009 | 01:30 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Not sure how this qualifies as a hand me down but okay. Since this thread is full of retarded posts I guess that fits right in.
Old 02-23-2009 | 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

I actually test drove a base model back in May 08, for an extra C$3300 to move up to Premium model (Base for US), you get leather seats, HID, fog lights, auto headlights, 2 driver seats position memory and USB. To me that's a no brainer, I went for the Tech model which has a C$6100 premium over base but I've got all the prevoiusly mentioned items, plus ELS sound, Navi and rear camera. Well worth the price IMO.
Old 02-23-2009 | 02:32 PM
10th Gear

if you think thats bad...

if you think no leather is bad, the base Canadian TSX also doesnt have memory seats, IPOD integration, high density lights, (and a few other things)..

AND..

the base Canadian TSX is 32.9k starting, plus you have to pay extra for the automatic (~1.3k), plus you have to pay more for freight and delivery (~1.7k).

its no secret that Canada is one of Honda's more profitable regions.

Last edited by theabstract; 02-23-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2009 | 02:57 PM
User with Skills

Originally Posted by theabstract
if you think no leather is bad, the base Canadian TSX also doesnt have memory seats, IPOD integration, high density lights, (and a few other things)..
What the hell are high density lights. Personally i don't really like leather.. it freakin wrinkles and i havta take care of it. cloth is much easier to deal with.. especially with my snowboards....

but yeah that's dumb to bring the base end model to a car show...
Old 02-23-2009 | 03:15 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dom
Not sure how this qualifies as a hand me down but okay. Since this thread is full of retarded posts I guess that fits right in.
dom, watch your blood pressure level....

:troutslap
Old 02-23-2009 | 03:58 PM
Instructor

That's exactly what i'm talking about its so messed up, made me look bad in front of my friends too lol.

And someone said atleast it comes with heated cloth seats and lexus don't...so what why are you comparing at low level.

How can they bring this to a show to show off their car... and I would rather see Honda Acura beside Toyota Lexus, BMW, Nissan Infiniti... not beside Ford....

I just wanted to share this with you guys cause it was pretty lame to see it like that.

I still love it but just don't think its right move to that in a show.
Old 02-23-2009 | 04:02 PM
Racer

FYI, Mercedes has leatherette/vinyl-like option, like BMW.

BTW, i think that leather is a must for my family...two babies...enough said!
Old 02-23-2009 | 04:10 PM
Intermediate

i dun see a problem they offer cloth, there is problem if leather isnt availible though
Old 02-23-2009 | 04:23 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Just go with the ventilated pleather as the base model and offer leather as an option. 95% of the Cs, Es, and MLs I sell have no leather. Honestly, I think most people don't even know it's not leather or, if they do know, they don't care. When I worked for Acura and we got a Benz in it was tough for me to tell.
Old 02-23-2009 | 04:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CL6
Just go with the ventilated pleather as the base model and offer leather as an option. 95% of the Cs, Es, and MLs I sell have no leather. Honestly, I think most people don't even know it's not leather or, if they do know, they don't care. When I worked for Acura and we got a Benz in it was tough for me to tell.

With pleather no ones knows the difference and no one can bitch about cost cutting
Old 02-23-2009 | 04:43 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

The MB pleather is very slightly rougher than the leather but if you put some nasty leather care on it they feel almost the same.

Originally Posted by (Cj)

With pleather no ones knows the difference and no one can bitch about cost cutting
Old 02-23-2009 | 05:12 PM
Instructor

Quote:

Ummm... BMW, Audi, MB and Lexus' all offer models with no leather.

Maybe I'll post it again just to be sure it isn't missed.

Dom........... Tier one IS NOT CLOTH SEATSSSSSSS
what is acura's goal? tier 1........ that's fine that other car company's have cloth seats.... my point is im going to prove to everyone that im a tier one lux car company. So should i not bring the most possible "bling" to show everyone? this is about perception...... and leather seats ARE ALWAYS > cloth seats.

my problem is not that the tsx offers cloth seats. My problem is if acura is TRYING to be tier one WTH are they doing showing cloth seats vs leather? I dun care if its in US or CANADA or ANTARTICA, acura should be bringing their BEST A+ game cause acura has something to prove and they are the underdogs trying to get to tier 1. guess what? BMW, Audi, MB and Lexus are ALREADY considered tier one!

I bet Hyundai would show the genisis with leather seats anywhere/anytime POSSIBLE.

Last edited by cwhsu; 02-23-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-23-2009 | 05:43 PM
Racer

i wouldnt mind heated cloth seats.
Old 02-23-2009 | 05:50 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Originally Posted by CL6
The MB pleather is very slightly rougher than the leather but if you put some nasty leather care on it they feel almost the same.

Ditto on CL6's & others posts on MB pleather, it's called MB Tex, and 95% of those 95% owners would still tell you they have leather.
Old 02-23-2009 | 05:57 PM
Racer

I hear that Mercedes leatherette is even tougher than leather and does not nearly show the wear & tear of leather either! For me, i am concern about sweaty butt syndrome with these leatherettes.
Old 02-23-2009 | 06:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by (Cj)
If it had a nice pleather, I don't think anyone would complain
Of course they would complain. That's all some people do. Just search for all the furor over the fact that the cars have pleather on the back and sides of the seats. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Personally I'd rather have cloth or leather, no vinyl for me.

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
It's an option to have leather or not. Why is that so stupendous?
Exactly, people complain when there aren't enough options, and then they complain when there are. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I don't think most people see a problem with offering cloth seats. The problem I see is that particular trim should not be brought to a show where you are supposed to bring your A game,
I'm sure that the model with cloth seats is the least expensive model right? Maybe in these troubled times, they wanted to show that getting into the brand wasn't so expensive? When I used to plan our cars for our local show, I always took a 5mt cloth RSX to show that they were affordable. Of course we'd also take a Type-S to show the other side. I hope they had a more upscale TSX there too.
Old 02-23-2009 | 06:08 PM
Suzuka Master

what is acura's goal? tier 1........
I forgot to include your post in my earlier reply. Acura is not a Tier 1 brand. They are a Tier 2 brand aspiring to be a Tier 1 brand. Between now and the future (expected) Tier 1 products, you still have to execute your business plan and sell what you have. If not, why sell anything for the next 3 years? After all, it's not Tier 1 product! Sounds silly right? So they need to do what they have to do till the next generation products start to arrive. Does this make sense?
Old 02-23-2009 | 06:12 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AATSX

and I would rather see Honda Acura beside Toyota Lexus, BMW, Nissan Infiniti... not beside Ford....
Are you serious?

How much of a choice do you think they're given exactly? And what does it matter? It was a mix. Pretty sure you're the only one who thought less of Honda/Acura because they were beside Ford.
Old 02-23-2009 | 06:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Colin
Of course they would complain. That's all some people do.
so true... so true...
Old 02-23-2009 | 06:15 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Originally Posted by Colin
Of course they would complain. Exactly, people complain when there aren't enough options, and then they complain when there are. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Maybe in these troubled times, they wanted to show that getting into the brand wasn't so expensive?

Yeah, whut he said.
Old 02-23-2009 | 06:17 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

what is acura's goal? tier 1........ that's fine that other car company's have cloth seats.... my point is im going to prove to everyone that im a tier one lux car company. So should i not bring the most possible "bling" to show everyone? this is about perception...... and leather seats ARE ALWAYS > cloth seats.

my problem is not that the tsx offers cloth seats. My problem is if acura is TRYING to be tier one WTH are they doing showing cloth seats vs leather? I dun care if its in US or CANADA or ANTARTICA, acura should be bringing their BEST A+ game cause acura has something to prove and they are the underdogs trying to get to tier 1. guess what? BMW, Audi, MB and Lexus are ALREADY considered tier one!

I bet Hyundai would show the genisis with leather seats anywhere/anytime POSSIBLE.
Teir 1 has no clear definition. IMO Teir 1 should also include options. The fact that there's bitching about this is unbelievable. IMO, the US is getting the short of of the stick by not having the option for cloth. Although I admit more options would be even better, I'd hate to lose Xeons and fogs because I didn't want leather.

Let me ask AATSX. Were there also Premium and Technology eqiupped TSX's at the show? If there weren't, thats the only way I can see a reason for this thread.

Quick Reply: Acura TSX "No Leather"...wtf