2G TSX Chat, Chit, and General Info Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 12:44 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 405 Likes on 282 Posts
Have fun being forced to use iTunes to sync music. And not being able to download files using the stock browser.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 602 Likes on 369 Posts
Originally Posted by Harper
If you want a super cheap but surprisingly decent phone the LG Optimus L90 is not a bad choice. I bought one as a backup phone for $54 including taxes.
The interface looks somewhat like a Galaxy lol.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:48 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by rawger
The interface looks somewhat like a Galaxy lol.
That's the only bad part but it's not as laggy as Samsung phones are.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Have fun being forced to use iTunes to sync music. And not being able to download files using the stock browser.
I do hate iTunes, but I just drag and drop what I want, so I don't really use the sync feature. And it's only 16 gigs, so on this one at least I won't be putting too much music. I use a 160 gig in the car so it's not really a problem either, I can just put albums I really like on my phone. But yes, not having expandable memory does suck. Any iPhone with 32+ gigs shouldn't have an issue though.

I haven't even come across having/trying to DL files, but I guess that does suck too. Lol
The following users liked this post:
urbanstereo (02-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 12:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

That's the only bad part but it's not as laggy as Samsung phones are.
This S3 was actually quite fast, I was impressed (plus 2, going on 3 models old now). May be because it was factory reset though.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:54 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
I do like iMessage a lot. Read an article saying that was the turning point for a guy who had been using Android for the longest time. All his friends were using iPhones and obviously he couldn't be in the group chat. iPhone OS is also clean and simple, but I do feel like a conformist using one now, lol. Basically it's fast and does the job well so I'm alright with it. I'm definitely less of a hater on iPhones after using it.
It's definitely limiting, but it does what I need when jailbroken.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:55 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Avoided via jailbreak
Old 02-07-2015, 12:57 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Samsung phones stock are shit. Bloated with a bunch of crap, and 90% of it is useless. Samsung phones are however pretty powerful. Flash it with the stock rom and root and you're good.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:01 PM
Unregistered Member

Or just not buy a Samsung phone and buy literally any other brand.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:08 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Or just not buy a Samsung phone and buy literally any other brand.
True. At the time, my gf's contract was up and she was able to get the S3 for $0 on renewal (this was attractive at the time). We got it and I cleaned it up for her and it's been pretty good. Think it's running CM kit kat last time I updated it for her.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Unregistered Member

My nephew has the Note 3, thing is a pita to root + change roms.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:19 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Yeah definitely not as easy as jailbreaking (plug in, click a few buttons, done).
Old 02-07-2015, 01:22 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
Pretty sure im gonna sell my S5 and get a OnePlus One. The samsung crap makes my S5 so slow
I really want a nexus 6, but $750 is way to much for a phone imo.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:27 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Team Moto X (first gen) here.

If you're in the market for a bigger phone, the new Moto X is pretty damn slick and pretty affordable. Plus *very* limited crapware preinstalled and it can all be banished with one click.

Plus you can get wood! TWSS
Harper (02-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 01:32 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
Pretty sure im gonna sell my S5 and get a OnePlus One. The samsung crap makes my S5 so slow
N6 is $750?

I bought my M8 from CL, it was brand new in box for $375.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by cu2wagon
Yeah, I bet. Dude must be pushing up on 90 by now. Mad balla back in the 60's though... Capitalizing on those science groupies like, "yo, I got your sequence already girl, so why don't you just gimme your number..."
There's a photo at Cold Spring Harbor that shows Watson staring at a woman's cleavage.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:35 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

N6 is $750?

I bought my M8 from CL, it was brand new in box for $375.
Yeah, it's like $700 and then $50 tax when i tried to order from moto's site.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:39 PM
Unregistered Member

Ain't nobody got cash fo dat.
rawger (02-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 01:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by xtcnrice
It's definitely limiting, but it does what I need when jailbroken.
What apps does Cydia offer that you think makes it worth it? I don't really care for little tweaks like transitions and stuff. Most unlocked iPhone setups I've seen look worse when people customize it, IMO. Looks like a fake android.

Originally Posted by iCrap
Wait for the OPO 2 like me!
Old 02-07-2015, 02:00 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

When is the two supposed to be out?
Old 02-07-2015, 02:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

I've read June 2015.

They even have their own new OS now, called OxygenOS. I wonder if that's good or bad that they've dumped Cyanogen.

Last edited by rawger; 02-07-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:27 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

its probably going to be super similar. It's still android underneath isn't it?
Old 02-07-2015, 02:30 PM
Unregistered Member

I'm willing to bet OxygenOS will probably be similar to MIUI/FlymeOS or whatever the Chinese android roms are called.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:32 PM
Drifting

Received 1,000 Likes on 712 Posts
Probably just our icraptastic 5 gears. Either one of you had ATF flushed? Or if anyone know where I can purchase it for cheap, gonna have it changed.

Wait, so you don't like driving with it off and still do? Why? I really don't mess with it, but the day before I had it off and was driving around. Then the next morning the roads were a little wet and I didn't think it would make that big of a difference, but I was wrong. Had I been making a turn while having to slow down I probably would have spin out of control. I guess it's also because I have the poopy OEM's with not much grip left.
Pretty much what riceboy said. I'd rather have a bit of understeer than have my power cut off and fuck me up lol. Especially with the shitty oem tires, I tend to spin in first on WOT, so when I'm taking a right onto the feeder or w/e it's annoying if it cuts power. I drive my car a bit hard so I like to be in control instead of the computer doing this and that. If I could permanently turn it off, I would

Wat.... Rooting/flashing roms is literally a few clicks. As with most newer android devices.

As for the Samsung bloat ware, I just disable all the shit I can't uninstall and use a different launcher cause I hate Touchwiz, but love Samsung phones Only reason I wouldn't flash another rom is because of the s-pen. I actually use it so I wanna keep it's functions.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:42 PM
Unregistered Member

Point me in the right direction for this mythical few clicks to flash a new rom.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:33 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
I can't think of many good reasons to buy a Samsung device in 2015 with Motorola, HTC, LG, and the Nexus line all making (imo) better devices and way better software. I stock 5.0 on my M7 which is (imo) by far the best Android software.

iTunes is also by far the worst music service ever. Google Play Music is waaay better
Harper (02-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 06:25 PM
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Probably just our icraptastic 5 gears. Either one of you had ATF flushed? Or if anyone know where I can purchase it for cheap, gonna have it changed.

no. i'm approaching 20k miles on my 2011. i hope that i don't need one that quickly. what are the intervals to change them?
Old 02-07-2015, 06:33 PM
Pro

i don't regret going to an iphone.

phone and music all in one. plays music from my phone through the usb cable and using the bluetooth for calls. makes my life simple.

but have had a few instances where the usb wouldn't read right and i would restart my phone or take out and put the cable back in to get it right
Old 02-07-2015, 07:32 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

What apps does Cydia offer that you think makes it worth it? I don't really care for little tweaks like transitions and stuff. Most unlocked iPhone setups I've seen look worse when people customize it, IMO. Looks like a fake android.

Wait for the OPO 2 like me!
Activator is a great tweak. Lets you assign actions to particular gestures/actions. I know that didn't make much sense... but take this for example. Plug in your phone to the power, and have wifi turn on automatically. Or, press both volume buttons on the side of the phone and a pop up occurs and allows you to quickly send a text message to someone. These might not be the greatest examples, but the combinations are limitless. The one I use often is, when I plug the phone in, BT turns on. Unplug, I'll have BT turn off. I use this because when I plug it into my car, I like BT on automatically so that it'll pair with my car and if I get a call, it'll go straight through my car without having me turn on BT myself. I don't use BT otherwise, so I have it turn off when I unplug it.

CCSettings (there are a few other variants to this, but I use this one atm), allows you to customize your Control Center (the toggles/buttons you see when you swipe up from the bottom of your phone, available since iOS7 I believe). On stock iOS, you can't customize any of this, which is a shame. And as such, there is no toggle for quickly disabling/enabling Data or even LTE, because Apple assumes all iPhone users have ample data or something. I disable Data and LTE when I'm running low so I don't get hit with overage fees. I also disable it when I'm at work because it's already connected to wifi the entire time; no need for data. Other custom toggles are available as well.

f.lux is an awesome tweak. I also use this on my Macbook and on my Fedora Linux at work. It's also available for Windows... not sure about Android. Basically there have been research/studies showing that it's harder on your eyes, and eventually, harder for you to fall asleep, if you use your phone and/or laptop at night because of the amount of blue light hitting your eyes, which strains your brain. f.lux automatically alters the amount of blue on the screen depending on the time of the day. I've found that it does help me sleep better and if you need exact lighting such as for photo editing and such, you can always disable it through a custom Control Center toggle through the above-mentioned tweak. On Macbook/PC you can have it disabled for a particular app too. It's nice.

iFile... a file manager. Allows you to manage files on the file system of your phone.

KuaiDial alters the stock phone app. It provides an autocomplete feature when you're dialing numbers, so you don't need to complete it. It also provides blacklists so you won't receive calls from particular numbers, etc. It's nice, because Apple's phone app is pretty basic/limiting, and unlike Android, you cannot install a separate phone app as the default app that receives/makes calls.

Various tweaks that remove ads and such from apps.

Springtomize to customize the look/feel of your device. Like you said many people make their phones look hideous, much like those terrible Android pages that Harper or somebody posted earlier. I just use it to clean a few things up. I don't make my phone look retarded. I enjoy this app/tweak.

WhatsApp Read Receipt Disabler. Title says it all.

Terminal, so that I can use a shell.

etc. I have a bunch of other tweaks that I use that I think are too specific to mention here (like allow me to save Instagram photos without having me to take a screenshot). But the ones mentioned are probably my top ones. I actually don't mind using iTunes, but there are also apps/tweaks that allow you to drag-and-drop. Honestly, I've grown to like iTunes because it properly manages your music's metadata, and it properly backs things up so that if you need to restore your phone, it can automatically bring all the music/apps/notes etc. back easily as long as you've made a backup. It was annoying to me at first, but I actually appreciate it now.

I wouldn't call myself an Apple fanboy.. I'm still using an iPhone 5. No way am I paying nearly 1k after tax for a new iPhone 6+ or whatever. My 5 works fine. I have nothing against Android, but this works well for me. And I know a fair bit about Android myself as I've been rooting/flashing roms on my girlfriend's S3 for a few years now. I'm not claiming that with these tweaks my phone is better than Android is. I know it merely just allows me to do more things that Android likely already allows you to do.

But you know, #hatersgonhate

Last edited by xtcnrice; 02-07-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:44 PM
Drifting

Received 1,000 Likes on 712 Posts
Point me in the right direction for this mythical few clicks to flash a new rom.
Odin
Old 02-07-2015, 08:47 PM
Unregistered Member

Oh right that shit.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by urbanstereo
no. i'm approaching 20k miles on my 2011. i hope that i don't need one that quickly. what are the intervals to change them?
30-40 thousand miles? I don't know if the years makes any difference, because that's the same year as my car.

Activator is a great tweak. Lets you assign actions to particular gestures/actions. I know that didn't make much sense... but take this for example. Plug in your phone to the power, and have wifi turn on automatically. Or, press both volume buttons on the side of the phone and a pop up occurs and allows you to quickly send a text message to someone. These might not be the greatest examples, but the combinations are limitless. The one I use often is, when I plug the phone in, BT turns on. Unplug, I'll have BT turn off. I use this because when I plug it into my car, I like BT on automatically so that it'll pair with my car and if I get a call, it'll go straight through my car without having me turn on BT myself. I don't use BT otherwise, so I have it turn off when I unplug it.

CCSettings (there are a few other variants to this, but I use this one atm), allows you to customize your Control Center (the toggles/buttons you see when you swipe up from the bottom of your phone, available since iOS7 I believe). On stock iOS, you can't customize any of this, which is a shame. And as such, there is no toggle for quickly disabling/enabling Data or even LTE, because Apple assumes all iPhone users have ample data or something. I disable Data and LTE when I'm running low so I don't get hit with overage fees. I also disable it when I'm at work because it's already connected to wifi the entire time; no need for data. Other custom toggles are available as well.

f.lux is an awesome tweak. I also use this on my Macbook and on my Fedora Linux at work. It's also available for Windows... not sure about Android. Basically there have been research/studies showing that it's harder on your eyes, and eventually, harder for you to fall asleep, if you use your phone and/or laptop at night because of the amount of blue light hitting your eyes, which strains your brain. f.lux automatically alters the amount of blue on the screen depending on the time of the day. I've found that it does help me sleep better and if you need exact lighting such as for photo editing and such, you can always disable it through a custom Control Center toggle through the above-mentioned tweak. On Macbook/PC you can have it disabled for a particular app too. It's nice.

iFile... a file manager. Allows you to manage files on the file system of your phone.

KuaiDial alters the stock phone app. It provides an autocomplete feature when you're dialing numbers, so you don't need to complete it. It also provides blacklists so you won't receive calls from particular numbers, etc. It's nice, because Apple's phone app is pretty basic/limiting, and unlike Android, you cannot install a separate phone app as the default app that receives/makes calls.

Various tweaks that remove ads and such from apps.

Springtomize to customize the look/feel of your device. Like you said many people make their phones look hideous, much like those terrible Android pages that Harper or somebody posted earlier. I just use it to clean a few things up. I don't make my phone look retarded. I enjoy this app/tweak.

WhatsApp Read Receipt Disabler. Title says it all.

Terminal, so that I can use a shell.

etc. I have a bunch of other tweaks that I use that I think are too specific to mention here (like allow me to save Instagram photos without having me to take a screenshot). But the ones mentioned are probably my top ones. I actually don't mind using iTunes, but there are also apps/tweaks that allow you to drag-and-drop. Honestly, I've grown to like iTunes because it properly manages your music's metadata, and it properly backs things up so that if you need to restore your phone, it can automatically bring all the music/apps/notes etc. back easily as long as you've made a backup. It was annoying to me at first, but I actually appreciate it now.

I wouldn't call myself an Apple fanboy.. I'm still using an iPhone 5. No way am I paying nearly 1k after tax for a new iPhone 6+ or whatever. My 5 works fine. I have nothing against Android, but this works well for me. And I know a fair bit about Android myself as I've been rooting/flashing roms on my girlfriend's S3 for a few years now. I'm not claiming that with these tweaks my phone is better than Android is. I know it merely just allows me to do more things that Android likely already allows you to do.

But you know, #hatersgonhate
Ninja went in on a post! The gestures/actions app is pretty cool. Something that IOS definitely lacks that Android has. Especially just tapping on the screen to wake is pretty worthwhile, especially since you just wear down the home button from using it so much. The bluetooth example you gave sounds pretty legit, because I also never use BT and it's a pain in the ass to remember to turn it on when in the car. If it did itself (given the exception that it's charging), that would be awesome. I also did watch some videos for the "best" apps/tweaks when jailbroken and I saw f.lux and CCSettings. I'd also like to be able to have 5 apps instead of 4 in a row, I think that was a feature of Springtomize.

I guess there's not many reason not to jailbreak then. Does a factory reset undo the jailbreak, just in case I decide to sell the phone?

Are you still using your original battery for your 5 or have you changed it? I need to buy a new one, but the reviews on Amazon for the $10 one are pretty iffy. I think iFixit sells one for $30 which is supposed to be better quality. I think I actually just made a deal for a 5s as well. The seller said it will unlock in 12-14 days so I'll pick it up then. At first they thought I meant unlock as in not having a password on the phone. #iPhoneusers

Last edited by rawger; 02-07-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:35 PM
Unregistered Member

I'd hold off on the 12-14 days bs. If it's tmobile and they have payments left, if they stop paying the bill the phone will be blacklisted. And tmobile doesn't unlock unless it's paid off.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:51 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

30-40 thousand miles? I don't know if the years makes any difference, because that's the same year as my car.

Ninja went in on a post! The gestures/actions app is pretty cool. Something that IOS definitely lacks that Android has. Especially just tapping on the screen to wake is pretty worthwhile, especially since you just wear down the home button from using it so much. The bluetooth example you gave sounds pretty legit, because I also never use BT and it's a pain in the ass to remember to turn it on when in the car. If it did itself (given the exception that it's charging), that would be awesome. I also did watch some videos for the "best" apps/tweaks when jailbroken and I saw f.lux and CCSettings. I'd also like to be able to have 5 apps instead of 4 in a row, I think that was a feature of Springtomize.

I guess there's not many reason not to jailbreak then. Does a factory reset undo the jailbreak, just in case I decide to sell the phone?

Are you still using your original battery for your 5 or have you changed it? I need to buy a new one, but the reviews on Amazon for the $10 one are pretty iffy. I think iFixit sells one for $30 which is supposed to be better quality. I think I actually just made a deal for a 5s as well. The seller said it will unlock in 12-14 days so I'll pick it up then. At first they thought I meant unlock as in not having a password on the phone. #iPhoneusers
Caveat; if you're on 8.1.3 you're SOL. No jailbreak is available at the moment. If you're anything lower, there should be a tool for you. Just make sure you don't update!! Google or check redmondpie.com for tuts on JBing. It's really easy but if you don't wanna screw up and update by accident, follow a tutorial to be safe.

The iPhone 5 was actually plagued with a faulty battery on many units. I went to the Apple store and got it "diagnosed" and it came back positive. They changed it for me for free. I just had to hang out at the mall for an hour or two.

And if you wanna unjailbreak, simply restore your phone using iTunes (not reset to factory settings on the phone; you need to do this in iTunes) and your jailbreak will be gone.

Lemme know if you have any other questions bruhh
rawger (02-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 10:04 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
I remember when I was about dat Jailbreak lyfe. #IpodTouch2g
rawger (02-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 10:22 PM
Unregistered Member

I still am with iPad mini. Its current used as a paper weight.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Caveat; if you're on 8.1.3 you're SOL. No jailbreak is available at the moment. If you're anything lower, there should be a tool for you. Just make sure you don't update!! Google or check redmondpie.com for tuts on JBing. It's really easy but if you don't wanna screw up and update by accident, follow a tutorial to be safe.

The iPhone 5 was actually plagued with a faulty battery on many units. I went to the Apple store and got it "diagnosed" and it came back positive. They changed it for me for free. I just had to hang out at the mall for an hour or two.

And if you wanna unjailbreak, simply restore your phone using iTunes (not reset to factory settings on the phone; you need to do this in iTunes) and your jailbreak will be gone.

Lemme know if you have any other questions bruhh
Lol, I just updated a few days ago. Maybe on the 5s I get.

Yeah I already tried the serial #, but they want me to pay for it. I could try taking it to the Apple store though, maybe if I'm lucky they'll do it for free.

I'd hold off on the 12-14 days bs. If it's tmobile and they have payments left, if they stop paying the bill the phone will be blacklisted. And tmobile doesn't unlock unless it's paid off.
Not sure if I'm misunderstanding or you are. The phone is for AT&T and I need it for T-Mobile, but she said she called AT&T and they said it would be unlocked by the 18th-20th of this month. She said she would hold the phone for me until then also. I find it hard to believe she's trying to scam me, otherwise she would have me buy it tomorrow like I wanted. Either way, going to get the IMEI before purchase and check up on it and make sure it's paid off/not stolen, etc.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

I still am with iPad mini. Its current used as a paper weight.
Yeah my iPad hasn't seen much use either to be honest. It's basically good for on the go when I don't want to carry my laptop.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:54 AM
Unregistered Member

Also make sure it's not icloud locked lol. T-Mobile now only sells iPhones either at full price or payments, I've heard of many people buying used tmo iPhones and having them work fine for a few weeks until it gets blacklisted due to monthly payments not being made anymore.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:07 AM
Pro

ok wiht my bonus i decided i will upgrade....

my brakes. what are you guys using?

Quick Reply: 2G TSX Chat, Chit, and General Info Thread