2010 TSX ticking noise from engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
so I have the same problem now on my 09 tsx and i took to the dealer they told me it was valve adjustment and drive belt tensionor, but i hear a little different noise. sometimes when i accelerate i hear like a rattling grind in the engine or under neath the engine, which sounds like if it was coming from my cat or exhaust but its weird i will try to record it.

I do want to mention that it can be oil because most dealers say they use synthetic but they use like 1 bottle of synthetic and use regular oil which isnt good. it helps them save money haha. i bought the car at the dealer and i always change the oil my self to know what i am putting and what i prefer because some dealers and shops put weak inexpensive stuff.

but on that side note what happened to me and why i do my own oil change was because when i bought the car 2 days after i made a sharp sharp u turn and accelerate and my info light came on stating low oil level which was weird. so i did oil change.

well besides all that. the nose you guys are all hear is pissing me off too. but will have to adjust valves and tensioner's. but if anyone can help me with the other rattling noise while accelerating it will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:22 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
Originally Posted by theNHBRL
so I have the same problem now on my 09 tsx and i took to the dealer they told me it was valve adjustment and drive belt tensionor, but i hear a little different noise. sometimes when i accelerate i hear like a rattling grind in the engine or under neath the engine, which sounds like if it was coming from my cat or exhaust but its weird i will try to record it.

I do want to mention that it can be oil because most dealers say they use synthetic but they use like 1 bottle of synthetic and use regular oil which isnt good. it helps them save money haha. i bought the car at the dealer and i always change the oil my self to know what i am putting and what i prefer because some dealers and shops put weak inexpensive stuff.

but on that side note what happened to me and why i do my own oil change was because when i bought the car 2 days after i made a sharp sharp u turn and accelerate and my info light came on stating low oil level which was weird. so i did oil change.

well besides all that. the nose you guys are all hear is pissing me off too. but will have to adjust valves and tensioner's. but if anyone can help me with the other rattling noise while accelerating it will be greatly appreciated.
I get that SAME noise too. Yeah it sounds like some rattling or grinding or some shit. I get it almost every time i go WOT. Really pissing me off. I have no idea what it is and conveniently the dealer cannot replicate it, along with the grinding noise sometimes when i start the car (i know it's the VTC actuator). So i'm screwed there.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just had this happen to me at 80000km on the odometer, took it into the dealership and they it was valve adjustment. done under warranty. 2009 tsx. also with the vtc actuator was fixed as well also under warranty. talk to your dealership!
Old 11-22-2013, 09:57 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

^^ mine claims valve adjustment is non needed..

My car has started making ANOTHER weird noise. Also VTC actuator was just replaced last week...
Old 11-23-2013, 12:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iCrap

My car has started making ANOTHER weird noise. Also VTC actuator was just replaced last week...
how is that not needed?? valves hitting the piston = death

the sound of a valve hittin a piston isnt good. especially if you bend a valve which you will.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:20 AM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

My service adviser is an asshole.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:06 AM
Intermediate

My service adviser is an asshole.
go to another dealership =P or a honda dealership. Accords have the same issue apparently (friend is a honda mechanic) and if you are worried about warranty as long as the work is done by a certified shop/mechanic they can't say anything to deny you of your warranty. obviously honda or other shops won't be able to do the work under warranty though

ps. i like your grill
Old 11-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 508 Likes on 315 Posts

Seems like someone told you to make sure and replace the timing chain tensioner at the same time (ME)
They have to adjust the valves when replacing the VTC actuator it is part of the job if they did't do it ohhhh sooo bad
Old 11-23-2013, 01:55 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Originally Posted by UTAH TSX
Seems like someone told you to make sure and replace the timing chain tensioner at the same time (ME)
They have to adjust the valves when replacing the VTC actuator it is part of the job if they did't do it ohhhh sooo bad
Haha yes i do remember you did tell me that, and i did pass that on to them and they said they would have a look. i'll dig up the service sheet again and have a look at the full list of what they actually did. I'm sure they did do valve adjustment then when they changed the VTC actuator... i asked about valve adjustment a while before they replaced it though and they said non needed.

Car has been running fine though since they did that, last night i thought i heard a strange noise when leaving the driveway but it hasn't reoccurred.

It's on their reccord that i've been to the dealership several times for weird engine noises so if anything does happen past the warranty (i just passed warranty) they will still cover it.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 508 Likes on 315 Posts
I think it's normal to hear stuff after getting it fixed you get hypertuned into listening for noises
The following users liked this post:
iCrap (11-23-2013)
Old 11-23-2013, 05:27 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Yeah that's probably it and i'm probably just paranoid... It's probably fine lol.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:18 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hissing noise coming from engine when cold or warm

2010 Acura TSX Base 78k
noise coming from throttle bode (hissing or scratching) when car is cold or warm.
also tappets are making loud noise
Old 09-26-2014, 10:05 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
so did you have the dealership change the valve adjustment and drive belt tensionor? how much did you end up paying?