is the 1st gen TSX built better than the 2nd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 12:01 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is the 1st gen TSX built better than the 2nd gen?

there just seem to be a whole slew of problems that still have not been fixed with the 2nd gen TSX...the engine pinging (still a problem? are you serious?), speakers being blown, the rear shelf rattling/cracking, problems with bluetooth, etc.

if i wanted to get back into a TSX, i would probably buy a used 07/08 CPO. engine pinging in a brand new acura is completely unacceptable to me, and if i had purchased a 2nd gen TSX and had this problem, i would be throwing fits.

thoughts?
Old 12-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having now owned both, I think the second generation is a better car in just about every way. It's a lot more comfortable and 'grown up' and feels like a class above the first generation. I think the old model was better built in as much as the materials used felt more substantial and there were far less rattles and trim noises.

Having said that, I would take the second generation over the first any day. In my opinion, it's a better car overall. And the reported issues with the new model just aren't that serious. Compared to the German prestige brands, Honda/Acura are still light years ahead when it comes to reliability and comfort.

I'd urge anyone to at least try a second generation before buying an older car.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Burning Brakes

The pinging is not a "problem", my car has yet to blow any speakers and I'm at 20K miles (maybe it's a Premium vs Tech issue?), and my rear shelf never experienced the crackling.

Even if I did experience any of these issues, there's immediate fixes for 2 of them and they're pretty minor IMO.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:04 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is the TSX built in Japan?
I belive it is...That would make the build quality alot better, the fit and finish on this car sure beats my cl's fit and finish (which was built in the states)
It just seems like the quality of crafstmanship is NOT what it used to be in the states, We do not pride ourselves on our work and alot of americans are just lazy. People just seem to want to sit around and have there work done for them instead of taking charge and doing it yourself.
And this is why our economy is where it is.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Intermediate

I bet if you go back and look at 1st year 1G posts there were some teething problems there as well. Point is *ANY* first year car model will have a few issues, I don't care who makes it......
Old 12-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StonedCL
Is the TSX built in Japan?
I belive it is...That would make the build quality alot better, the fit and finish on this car sure beats my cl's fit and finish (which was built in the states)
It just seems like the quality of crafstmanship is NOT what it used to be in the states, We do not pride ourselves on our work and alot of americans are just lazy. People just seem to want to sit around and have there work done for them instead of taking charge and doing it yourself.
And this is why our economy is where it is.
You kidding? US build quality is leaps and bounds above what it was 20-30 years ago. In some cases it even exceeds certain imports these days. It's just unfortunate that it takes so long to change public perception...esspecially when the public is as dumb as the American public.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Racer

You're going to get a biased answer in this region and the first gen region. Best thing for you to do is go test drive both of these cars and determine that yourself.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by mclovintsx
You're going to get a biased answer in this region and the first gen region. Best thing for you to do is go test drive both of these cars and determine that yourself.
word. lets just leave it at that.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Owned both. Loved both.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
I've had both, and I do agree that my current '09 is far superior to the '07...it's just a more "grown up" car with more to offer IMO. But with that being said, the '07 was literally bulletproof, not a single thing really went wrong w/ the car and it still runs like a champ today. My '09, not so much. In all fairness ALL of the problems to date have been electrical/stereo/tech package related, but...it has been a big pain in the a**. Yes it is fixed under warranty, and yes they are relatively simple issues BUT, you can't put a price on my time and aggravation, and I didn't expect to have these issues w/ a car in this class...
Old 12-21-2009, 09:01 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Originally Posted by DerwoodEE
You kidding? US build quality is leaps and bounds above what it was 20-30 years ago. In some cases it even exceeds certain imports these days. It's just unfortunate that it takes so long to change public perception...esspecially when the public is as dumb as the American public.
You are comparing 20-30 year old cars to new cars ? Why don't you check how much stuff was built here 30 years ago compared to now? People used to take pride in there work not anymore..
Old 12-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How do u even engineer a car to be worse than the 1st gen?
Old 12-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
You don't, but you could cut costs in areas where people don't see, that could later come back to bite you. 2G is overall a much more refined package while still maintaining the 'family tradition' of winning the manufacturers title in World Challenge racing. To the OP, I suggest you try a 2G to see if you can induce or detect any pinging. I have yet to have a single comment or complaint on this "issue" from any of my clients.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Best thing to do is to test drive both vehicles.

I have over 25,000 miles (42000km) on the odometer in 18 months, no pinging issue nor blown speakers (Tech ELS system). Did have a sticky cupholder lid which was fixed promptly by the dealer
Old 12-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
the blown speaker problem is likely an owner issue. It's for those owners that are turning up their volumes way too high and/or setting the equalizers on their iPods at too high of a bass level, etc.

Pinging issue isn't that bad, all things considered. Plus there is a TSB that's available to fix it.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:17 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
I dont think he is talking about the engineering of the car , but the fit and finish or the build. (how the car is put together) I have noticed that on the TSX the gaps are even and match where my CL they where all over the place with alignment. Also with ANY car first year model there are going to be some bugs that need to be worked out, SO u would have to compare the problems with a 04 to a 09 TSX. Also with the ELS speakers , I hear they are blowing , well 09 was the the first year for the panasonic ELS system so there was not alot of testing before realesing , but I also heard there is a TSB so ACURA is tring to resolve the problem.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:58 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I think we need to compare apples to apples:

2004 TSX < 2009 TSX
2005 TSX < 2010 TSX
2006 TSX ? 2011 TSX

Maybe the 2011 TSX will be the "sweet spot" like the 2006 TSX. It usually takes Honda/Acura until the 3rd model or the mid model makeove before they make a bulletproof car.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I think we need to compare apples to apples:

2004 TSX < 2009 TSX
2005 TSX < 2010 TSX
2006 TSX ? 2011 TSX

Maybe the 2011 TSX will be the "sweet spot" like the 2006 TSX. It usually takes Honda/Acura until the 3rd model or the mid model makeove before they make a bulletproof car.
I agree. The 04 had issues, just like the 09. To name of few of the 04's problems: air conditioning, HVAC lights, window/door actuators, etc. The first year cars always have more problems. It just takes a couple years to work out the kinks. Most manufacturers are the same way.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by StonedCL
I dont think he is talking about the engineering of the car , but the fit and finish or the build. (how the car is put together) I have noticed that on the TSX the gaps are even and match where my CL they where all over the place with alignment.
Fit, Finish, Build quality, materials selection, etc. are all part of engineering

That is what i meant in my original statement...
Old 12-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by ressling
the blown speaker problem is likely an owner issue. It's for those owners that are turning up their volumes way too high and/or setting the equalizers on their iPods at too high of a bass level, etc.
Uhh yeah, not quite. I don't have an iPod, and I have yet to play my system over 15 (it usually hovers between 9-12). Yet I have had 4 blown/replaced speakers. And now it was discovered that my XM note feature does not work and others who have had that issue, it was a bad module that needed to be replaced.

I have had nothing but problems w/ the electronics side of the car...nothing.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Cruisin'

I owned an '06 (no navi) and had no problems with it until the second year (around 15k miles). Rattling noises in the interior and creaking on acceleration the dealer couldn't fix. They tried 6 times, replacing the sway bar, tweaking the suspension, you name it. The shudder during breaking was definitely a pain but they fixed that quick. Overall, loved that car and was sad to park it for the final time at the dealer. Luckily, my sadness was short lived as I jumped into a 2010 w/ tech.

I find the 2010 quite refined. Nicer interior, more room, quieter and smoother ride. Acceleration seems better but then again, I didn't buy the car for its speed / pick up; I bought it for the features. The one annoyance I have found is the need to unlock all the doors to open/close the fuel door. Little thing and once I got used to it, no biggie. Plus it holds more fuel, less trips to the pump (better mileage would be nice though).

Originally Posted by ressling
Pinging issue isn't that bad, all things considered. Plus there is a TSB that's available to fix it.
I hear the pinging around 2300 RPMs in second gear but its rare. Glad to hear there is a fix for this. I'm definitely calling the dealership to get that and the sticky cup holder lid fixed. Is there a TSB number I should refer to?

In the end, drive both. They are both great cars and turn heads everywhere I go, even when a Lexus or Beamer is in front of me. You can't go wrong with either (unless the previous owner of the used car wasn't very nice to it - shame on them).
Old 12-22-2009, 11:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by flippedout
I'm definitely calling the dealership to get that and the sticky cup holder lid fixed. Is there a TSB number I should refer to?
Is that back? I thought those were sorted out by mid 2009?
Old 12-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Pro

Old 12-23-2009, 03:05 AM
Banned

I've owned both. The 2G is built much better. I was actually getting annoyed with my '07 because it was starting to feel loose, it made rattling noises and the engine was getting progressively louder despite perfect maintenance and easy driving. I've had an '09 for nearly as long now and I can't really perceive a difference between the car that it is now and the car it was when I bought it.

I think the 1G is just a smaller, more delicate car that doesn't absorb the shock of everyday use as well as the 2G. The 2G feels more solid and durable. When you go over bumps it feels like the car just eats it up where the 1G would rattle a lot and feel like it just fell apart a little.

These differences really stuck out when I bought the 2G but had to drive the 1G for another day while some custom stuff was added. The contrast between the two was loud and clear. If you haven't tried a 2G you really should.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:57 AM
Advanced

I just traded my '06 Tech AT for an '10 Tech MT and I'm extremely happy. It's like a completely different car, in a good way. I do have one question though that might seem a little picky. For those of you with the 2nd Gen, do you notice your windshield washer fluid spray reaches somewhat higher on the passenger side? This might be a safety feature, just wondering if anyone noticed this. Not sure if this a problem at all. My 1st Gen seemed to be equal on both sides. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:59 AM
2010 6MT non-tech

Originally Posted by mclovintsx
i have already owned an '05 for 2 years and test drove an '09. however, you can only find out so much about a car during a 10-15 minute test drive, especially on crowded northern virginia roads.

the one guy has had 4 blown speakers and he never turns it up past 12 at all. if i recall correctly, the volume on my '05 went up to at least 35 or 40.

if it were one person, that's one thing, but it's quite a few people with this problem. and the pinging, again, is completely unacceptable in a modern car these days.

that said, i am broadly cross-shopping the TSX with the 2010 GTI and the 2010 Accord coupe, but it looks like the GTI is continuing the VW tradition of many little things going wrong/needing fixes as well...so i guess that leaves the boring Accord coupe.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by frescagod
if it were one person, that's one thing, but it's quite a few people with this problem. and the pinging, again, is completely unacceptable in a modern car these days
I think it's good to keep these things in context. It's probably true to say that people are more likely to instigate an opinion if it's an adverse one. What I mean is, 'quite a few' people experiencing the same problem needs to be quantified against the number of people who haven't experienced it.

In my opinion, modern cars are, in the most, totally reliable. Let's face it, the issues being raised with the TSX are fairly insignificant. I've owned 4 new VWs and each one of them had at least one major problem which affected safety, reliability, or security. In two cases I was left stranded whilst driving Golfs due to catastrophic electrical failures.

In contrast, my Accords have always started and have never once let me down. A couple of minor complaints are more than compensated for by the confidence in completing journeys which is inspired by your car's reliability

Last edited by SilverCU3; 12-23-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:10 AM
just have fun

there just seem to be a whole slew of problems that still have not been fixed with the 2nd gen TSX...the engine pinging (still a problem? are you serious?), speakers being blown, the rear shelf rattling/cracking, problems with bluetooth, etc.

if i wanted to get back into a TSX, i would probably buy a used 07/08 CPO. engine pinging in a brand new acura is completely unacceptable to me, and if i had purchased a 2nd gen TSX and had this problem, i would be throwing fits.

thoughts?
i own a 2009 TSX tech and ive gotten one speaker ,bluetooth interface replaced. but i think its what expected on any car and manufacturer until they fix the kinks.(no car is ever perfect IMO)
i do admit that my car being 100% Japanese built was definitely an influence in the purchase and i am happy with the quality and build of the car, compared to my previous car that was built in Mexico(Nissan).
but my only complaint i have is when im in S mode my third gear lags between 3-4k rpm(mid range torque?) and i hear a whistling noise every once in a while cruisin around 70 -80 mph. i dont want to bring it in cause it is such a hassle taking it to the dealer, and sometimes they cannot replicate the symptons ...which is annoying; but if i see more ppl having the same symptons as my car i will defintely take it in. As long as i have warranty
Old 12-24-2009, 09:32 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by fw_fw
I bet if you go back and look at 1st year 1G posts there were some teething problems there as well. Point is *ANY* first year car model will have a few issues, I don't care who makes it......
Exactly. Pretty sure there were more teething problems on 04's then there are on 09's.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i have already owned an '05 for 2 years and test drove an '09. however, you can only find out so much about a car during a 10-15 minute test drive, especially on crowded northern virginia roads.

the one guy has had 4 blown speakers and he never turns it up past 12 at all. if i recall correctly, the volume on my '05 went up to at least 35 or 40.

if it were one person, that's one thing, but it's quite a few people with this problem. and the pinging, again, is completely unacceptable in a modern car these days.

that said, i am broadly cross-shopping the TSX with the 2010 GTI and the 2010 Accord coupe, but it looks like the GTI is continuing the VW tradition of many little things going wrong/needing fixes as well...so i guess that leaves the boring Accord coupe.
If you read back in the forums there were far more issues with the 2004 TSX than there were with the 2009, and they were more serious too. Since you would get a 2010 TSX which by all accounts on this forum is pretty bulletproof with not a single person reporting blown speakers or the like what's the difference anyways.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:49 PM
B A N N E D

I think the blown speakers are only in the tech 09 cars... Correct?