Is $25k fair for a 2012 TSX with 14k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 02:10 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is $25k fair for a 2012 TSX with 14k miles?

My BMW E46 was totalled this week (distracted driver drove into my parked car.)

So, it's time for a new car. Money is tight because I just got married this week. (It's been a long 7 days.)

I've been thinking about a TSX because... well... why not.

So I found a dealer within driving disance that has a CPO 2012 TSX with Tech Package, 14k miles - $25k.

Q1: Is this a fair price?

Q2: If not, how do I negotiate this down?

Q3: I've never bought a used car. Heck, I've never even bought a car. (My first one was a graduation present.) What are some questions I should ask the dealer?

Q4: What are some common issues I should be aware of about 2012 TSX's with Technology Packages?

I could really use some help from some experts like you!
Old 11-19-2015, 07:22 AM
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts
NADA has those specs valued at $22,500 in my area. CPO might add on a little bit more, but I wouldn't pay $25k.

IMO: I wouldn't get too worked up on the car until after the test drive and you see the vehicle report. A 3ish year car with 14k miles is probably an off lease vehicle. Everything should check out, but I'd still get a private mechanic to do a once over.

That 2012 is the same as every 2009, but with an updated tech package and front end. It's a 3 yr old car that feels a lot older when compared to other 2012's. For the money, I'd look for newer model cars that come standard with safety tech that we never had available. Hecks, Honda slapped the new Accords with more gear than we have.

Manual, 4 door midsize and reliability were the requirements for me otherwise I would've looked elsewhere.

Last edited by ulrblitzer; 11-19-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:10 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Originally Posted by ulrblitzer
NADA has those specs valued at $22,500 in my area. CPO might add on a little bit more, but I wouldn't pay $25k.

IMO: I wouldn't get too worked up on the car until after the test drive and you see the vehicle report. A 3ish year car with 14k miles is probably an off lease vehicle. Everything should check out, but I'd still get a private mechanic to do a once over.

That 2012 is the same as every 2009, but with an updated tech package and front end. It's a 3 yr old car that feels a lot older when compared to other 2012's. For the money, I'd look for newer model cars that come standard with safety tech that we never had available. Hecks, Honda slapped the new Accords with more gear than we have.

Manual, 4 door midsize and reliability were the requirements for me otherwise I would've looked elsewhere.
While this may be true, I also want to point out that this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I love the way this thing drives a lot more than many of the other cars out there that are in the same price range. TECH is definitely dated and as a tip to the OP, if you do decide on a TSX and you care about TECH in a car, I suggest you actually get the BASE model so that installing an aftermarket double din unit would be an option (it's not really an option on the TECH model due to complexity/costs associated in working with the ELS sound system). But this is more of a minor point IMO. The important thing is to drive it for yourself and see if you like it. This car is very reliable (sans an oil consumption issue, but I don't think the 2011+ TSXs are affected (yet)). Also, it's a great looking car, IMO. Of course, take my points with a grain of salt since they're quite biased lol.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:24 AM
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts
We're all biased, that's why we're here.

It all depends on your situation. I'm already looking at a truck or van. As fun as the manual is, it's the major complaint I get from my wife as she can't/won't drive it. We also don't take my car anywhere as the back seat gets pretty cramped with a rear facing car seat and I can't haul anything from the hardware store or to the dump for home maintenance. The old man in me is gearing towards utility and purpose now.

Moving on from that E46, I have a feeling the TSX is going to make you want more after you test drive it.

Last edited by ulrblitzer; 11-19-2015 at 08:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
icu2tsx (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 10:37 AM
Banned

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by ulrblitzer
We're all biased, that's why we're here.

It all depends on your situation. I'm already looking at a truck or van. As fun as the manual is, it's the major complaint I get from my wife as she can't/won't drive it. We also don't take my car anywhere as the back seat gets pretty cramped with a rear facing car seat and I can't haul anything from the hardware store or to the dump for home maintenance. The old man in me is gearing towards utility and purpose now.

Moving on from that E46, I have a feeling the TSX is going to make you want more after you test drive it.
I feel ya. I hate how my daughter's Recaro Hero sits in the Tsx and how my passenger get hardly any leg room at all.

My wife loved my TSX so when it was time to get her a new car last year, we started looking at the wagon TSX's but for the price, leg room or lack off and technology and for almost same price, we ended up with a brand new 2015 Forester Limited. couldn't be happier.

OP TSX is great car until the babies come or you start modding/fixing your house lol
Old 11-19-2015, 10:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 602 Likes on 369 Posts
That's a lot for a '12 IMO. Even with the super low miles. I wouldn't pay 25k for it with these cars depreciating like they are and I'd probably consider something with more power if I could redo it. I'd look at a G37 or IS350 for that price. They are still fairly reliable, only knock is the MPG isn't close to the TSX.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:03 AM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
OP, sorry to hear about your BMW. The TSX is a good car and you can most definitely negotiate down the price of the TSX. But if you do not like to negotiate then a place like CarMax might be something to consider.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:57 AM
2nd Gear

Wow... lots of great insight here. Thanks! Maybe I'll look at a different model...
Old 11-19-2015, 10:17 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rawger
That's a lot for a '12 IMO. Even with the super low miles. I wouldn't pay 25k for it with these cars depreciating like they are and I'd probably consider something with more power if I could redo it. I'd look at a G37 or IS350 for that price. They are still fairly reliable, only knock is the MPG isn't close to the TSX.
I disagree, those two cars aren't that are far off.

You drive an inline 4 aggressively and you're in the 17-20mpg range instantly.

To the TS, I don't think it's a good deal. Think about it, 4 years old car, 14K miles, model discontinued. 25K gets you like a brand new mid-trim Sonata, accord, or Camry. Do you really think the TSX is that much faster, more advanced or luxurious compared to these cars even at base? Don't think so.

Last edited by CAgine; 11-19-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:53 AM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
I came from a late model Mazda 6 which made more "technology" then my TSX. I looked at the refreshed 2013 Grand Touring Mazda 6, Accord Sport and Accord EXL. IMO if you care about driving the other 3 aren't in the same conversation. Would rather have a TSX or used base model IS250/328i then any of those.

Last edited by VR1; 11-20-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:07 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
OK, let's do a reality check here. I came from a 2009 335xi and couldn't be happier. The BMW had more/newer tech - but - a 40 year old Yugo would have been more reliable.

These are the upsides of the TSX - everything works as intended. While the nav might not have the snazzy graphics of newer cars, the map data is identical, so it'll get you to your destination just like the BMW nav. The audio is one of the best installed from the factory. Far better than any Bose or HK Logic7 from BMW. I find the seats more comfortable than the sport seats in the 335.

The cons - the car lacks all of high end nannies you might want. It isn't the fastest, but is also is no slouch.

Did I say it was reliable? After my first one was mangled by an MB driver, I went out and bought the same car again. I had never done that before and probably will never do that again. I usually keep my cars a couple of years and move on to the next greatest thing since sliced bread but I expect to keep this for a while.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CAgine
I disagree, those two cars aren't that are far off.

You drive an inline 4 aggressively and you're in the 17-20mpg range instantly.

To the TS, I don't think it's a good deal. Think about it, 4 years old car, 14K miles, model discontinued. 25K gets you like a brand new mid-trim Sonata, accord, or Camry. Do you really think the TSX is that much faster, more advanced or luxurious compared to these cars even at base? Don't think so.
I have yet to get a tank that I average anything less than 22, maybe even 21 mpg. And I usually drive all city with moderate to aggressive driving for the most part. So I don't really agree with that. If I'm putting it to redline after every red light, then maybe that's true, but I have yet to encounter 17-20.

And I agree with VR1, I'd still take a TSX (granted not at OP's listing price) over a Camry, Sonata and Accord.

Last edited by rawger; 11-20-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts
OP, while I am finding that our cars are starting to be in a slightly higher demand in the used auto market that price is not worth it at all, you should be able to find better deals or negotiate to a more reasonable price.

I have yet to get a tank that I average anything less than 22, maybe even 21 mpg. And I usually drive all city with moderate to aggressive driving for the most part. So I don't really agree with that. If I'm putting it to redline after every red light, then maybe that's true, but I have yet to encounter 17-20.

And I agree with VR1, I'd still take a TSX (granted not at OP's listing price) over a Camry, Sonata and Accord.
20-21 is common for me with my approx. 80% city commute but I have an '09 Auto, in later years things were changed that resulted in a little better mileage if I remember correctly. I try not to drive too aggressively most of the time and that's one of my biggest gripes with the car, V6 mileage without the power.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:21 PM
I like cars.

Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts
For 25k, you can get a brand new SI sedan. I wouldnt pay 25k for a used tsx even though i love the car.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ESHBG
OP, while I am finding that our cars are starting to be in a slightly higher demand in the used auto market that price is not worth it at all, you should be able to find better deals or negotiate to a more reasonable price.

20-21 is common for me with my approx. 80% city commute but I have an '09 Auto, in later years things were changed that resulted in a little better mileage if I remember correctly. I try not to drive too aggressively most of the time and that's one of my biggest gripes with the car, V6 mileage without the power.
MPG varies for everyone based on several different factors (tire pressure, weight, A/C use, etc) so it's hard to really pinpoint what it is that is different. Is it your MID that says 20-21? Or do you use a site like fuelly? If it's the MID that says 20-21, I personally haven't seen that even with all city driving before. Fuelly has calculated 21ish for me before though, but like I said I know I drive moderate to aggressive so I'm not surprised. EPA is 22/31 anyways so it's not really off.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:00 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
That's what i would have paid for a brand new one.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dallison
That's what i would have paid for a brand new one.
Looks like you aren't getting a straight answer so let me just come out say.

Absolutely, absolutely ridiculous to pay $25,000 for 2012 TSX tech or not, CPO or not. To give you an idea of how ridiculous it is, when, when I was looking for 2011 tsx (which I paid, $18,500, in aug 2014 ), Not one but 2 dealers offered me 2013 demo models with less than 5,000 miles for $23,500. That was a year ago. Last year my friend bought a 2012 base with 30,000 miles for $17,000. the 2011, 2012, 2013,2014 TSX are all the same exact car.

You must be young and fact that you have never bought a car must be written all over you. Remember these sales people can read these things within 3 minutes of you walking into the dealer and hence come up with a ridiculous price like $25,000. I would offer $20,500 at most and that's if you really like the car.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:27 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 405 Likes on 282 Posts
If you like the car and want to buy it, check the blue book price, or prices from other sources to get an idea of price you actually wanna pay. Go to the dealer and make your offer. Salesman will go in the back come out with a much higher offer and as long as you don't budge they'll eventually give you the price you want. If they don't just walk away and find another car.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:52 PM
Intermediate

Little bit to expensive, maybe try taking a look at the accord more of a bargain
Old 11-27-2015, 10:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts
MPG varies for everyone based on several different factors (tire pressure, weight, A/C use, etc) so it's hard to really pinpoint what it is that is different. Is it your MID that says 20-21? Or do you use a site like fuelly? If it's the MID that says 20-21, I personally haven't seen that even with all city driving before. Fuelly has calculated 21ish for me before though, but like I said I know I drive moderate to aggressive so I'm not surprised. EPA is 22/31 anyways so it's not really off.
The MID says 20-21 but I have calculated myself and it was not far off from this. I keep my tires inflated and don't use the AC that often. 21/30 is my year's MPG if I remember correctly so I'm in the ballpark and gas mileage was never my car's strong suit from day one. With Philly traffic you do have to drive aggressively at times but I am more mindful of this and have been playing with my driving style to see if I can get the figure to bump up a bit.

But if I do a long distance all highway trip like I did recently I can easily land within the 30s, though.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:01 PM
Intermediate

$25k is pretty steep, they are asking a lot for this vehicle, even low mileage add considered. I think $22k is probably the fair market value for a 12 with 15k.

I bought my '13 SE earlier this year with roughly the same mileage for $23k, so I think you can either negotiate down or find a better deal.

On the upside, as others have mentioned, the reliability is a huge plus, and this is coming from me, a fellow e46 owner and BMW enthusiast. Sure, the car could benefit from some added power (something I have the itch for currently, lol), but all aside, I don't regret getting my TSX, even if I miss my TL-S and e46, I think I made the right move getting my CU2, I think you'd be happy too OP

@xtcnrice , do you mind elaborating a little more on the advantages on the base over Tech, I find this interesting. I too, could care less about the Nav system, but am curious how the ELS Surround system sounds with the Tech Package in comparison to the base sound system.

I know the ELS system has 3 additional speakers, does it have a higher wattage output over the base premium system?
Old 11-29-2015, 12:07 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
LA has horrible stop and go traffic. My TSX has dipped below the 20's many times and not because I was redlining every stop, it's a 10' model as well.

Great commuter car, but definitely lacks the luxury/performance feel of the IS and G.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:02 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
25k is extremely expensive. These things drop in price after 90-100k pretty good. That car is basically 4 years old. i would say around 18-19k at the most.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by threetwentyfizzle
I know the ELS system has 3 additional speakers, does it have a higher wattage output over the base premium system?
You get 460 Watts. I found this excellent review of the ELS Sound System from Edmunds and recently posted it on another thread. Here is the link for your convenience:

2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon: Audio Review