Toyo T1-S

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 04:15 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyo T1-S

Just got them on my car today, they are great, if anyone is interested in hearing how great they are then just respond to the thread. Don't want to type things if no one wants to read it....
Old 09-25-2004, 09:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the same tires on my ride. Incredible in the rain, very very good in the dry weather, but they do get louder as the tread wears down. Just something you have to put up with since it's a performance tire.

Overall, 1000 times better than the stock michelin.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Had my T1-S on my TL for over 2 years and they aren't any louder than when I first got them. You gotta love these tires.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:06 PM
10th Gear

Would definitely like to hear more. How much did they cost? Same exact size as stock Michelins? Quiet ride, performance, durability are all high-priorities.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ok well here's a little mini review I will do the Toyo T1-S

I have currently had them on my car for about 12k km (7500 Miles). I have been driving on them since May of this summer (when I first got them). I decided to go for the wider tire since I wanted the TL to have a better stance from the rear of the vehicle, and I wanted better traction for taking off the line. So i went for a 235/45ZR17. The fastest I have gone on these tires was about 210 km/h (125 MPH) and they were definitely more stable than my stock michelins were at that speed. Now the one place these tires out-shine the rest is in the wet weather category. I can launch it off the line, and hit 6k RPM with 0 slipping. These tires will never give up, whether it be in straight line motion or side-to-side, these things corner like no other when it comes to wet traction. In terms of treadwear, these things seem to be wearing ok. They will probably last me no more than 2 full summers, but I mean I drive the car hard. they do seem like they got marginally louder as they've been wearing, however it's not noticeable to people who are not in tune with cars. Most people would not be able to tell the difference, but since I drive the car daily, I definitely hear an audible difference.

If you're looking for a very stable, amazing in wet weather, performance summer tire, definitely look no further than the T1-S. I will not though be negative towards other tire makers, as many who have driven on the Yoko ES-100 have said they are quite amazing as well.

I would definitely put the t1-s, the pilot sport, and the es-100 in the same category for tire. they are simply the best out there.

I got a great deal on mine. I ordered them from a guy that was on this site, advertising for cheap tires. So I inquired, and he was able to hook up the T1-S for 838.50 CAD for all four tires. Yep, just over 200 CAD for each tire, and that was including shipping from Colorado to Toronto.

All in all, I'm very happy with my Toyo's. Would I buy them again? Probably not, and that is only because I would want to try something else. Now when the time arises, if I can still get an awesome hook up on toyo's, then I will probably go back for the toyo's. However, I think i would go for the 215/50/17 simply because I heard it will handle better than the wider tire. Wider tire, will give you awesome grip while taking off (more rubber on the ground), but the sidewalls are not as stiff as a lower profile tire (215/50/17) since the sidewalls will bend inwards.

Anyhow, sorry for the long post, I just wanted people to no exactly what's good and what's not.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:12 AM
SCMPredator

compared to the Falken ZE-512???
Old 09-28-2004, 02:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by suj220
compared to the Falken ZE-512???
I have never tested out the falkien, but I know that it doesn't fall in the same category as the T1-S in terms of performance.

Anyone else know anything about the ZE-512's???
Old 09-29-2004, 04:22 PM
Racer

The ZE-512's is not really in the same category... i mean they are great tires, but just don't push them too hard. But these t1-s like SC354 said, they never give up... i'm so happy with them, i think i would try out the newer piolt sports when they make 17 inches, that is if i ever run out of tread on this one...haha... Yeah i went with the 225/45/17 set-up for better traction. i personaly think that it stick out a little bit (not the fender but the rim) but it's acting like a rim guard..hahaha... well i got mine at edgeracing.com for like $620 usd shipped to my house...
Old 10-10-2004, 09:39 AM
Intermediate

Toyo T1 S on 2002 TL S

Had them on less than a year. Lasted 30,000 miles. The original Michelin's lasted 58,000. The Toyo's were "sold" by STS here in NJ as being equal. They ain't, obviously, despite the 25% lower price, and they are noisy. I drive 60K per year, all highway.
The dealer said he can get me a "deal" on the Michelin's for $200 ea.
I'm shopping around.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by timp
Had them on less than a year. Lasted 30,000 miles. The original Michelin's lasted 58,000. The Toyo's were "sold" by STS here in NJ as being equal. They ain't, obviously, despite the 25% lower price, and they are noisy. I drive 60K per year, all highway.
The dealer said he can get me a "deal" on the Michelin's for $200 ea.
I'm shopping around.
30k miles on a set of high performance summer tires is nothing to complain about. The original michelins were likely H-rated all-seasons, with a much higher treadwear rating but far less grip. It sounds like the Toyos offered more performance than you were looking for, which means they probably were a bad choice for you.

I run T1-S on my NSX, and have done so for the last 18000 miles. You don't want to know how quickly they run out (I have gone through 1.5 sets of fronts and 3 sets of rears in that time, but that is not the fault of the T1-S, but rather the reality of driving a RWD car with aggressive camber and toe, that and 700 miles on high speed road courses at 8/10s or above.)

I also run Yokohama AVS ES 100s. I had them as my summer tires for my 325i, and they looked virtually new after 25k miles, including 300 at Road America. I also have them on my 04 TL A-Spec 18s, with about 11k summer miles.

Both the T1-S and the ES 100 are excellent values in a HP summer tire. The T1-S has better grip and offers a bit more performance than the ES 100, but the ES 100 lasts longer.

I do not put either tire in the same category as the more expensive Michelin Pilot Sport. That tire provides higher levels of performance and even less treadwear than either the T1-S or the ES 100, from what I understand from Tire Rack surveys and various anecdotes from those who use them. I have not myself used the Pilot Sports, but would be open to doing so if the size (most important) and the price were what I was looking for.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:37 PM
Intermediate

Actually, they are both V rated. The performance of the Toyo's is pretty close wet and dry and snow to the Michelin's. The car isn't the best for cornering since it pushes too much. But the bottom line is, I'm looking around at what other people have used which gives good highway miles, since that's what I'm doing.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Actually, they are both V rated. The performance of the Toyo's is pretty close wet and dry and snow to the Michelin's. The car isn't the best for cornering since it pushes too much. But the bottom line is, I'm looking around at what other people have used which gives good highway miles, since that's what I'm doing.
If you want a true HP summer tire, Z or W rated, the ES 100 is probably the best choice if mileage is your primary concern.

If you are going to go to a V-rated tire, you can probably do better than the ES 100 for mileage. I only run snows or serious high performance rubber, so I don't have any recent experience with V-rated tires. I suggest checking out the tire surveys at www.tirerack.com if you have not already.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

The performance of the Toyo's is pretty close wet and dry and snow to the Michelin's. The car isn't the best for cornering since it pushes too much.
Ummm??? Last time I checked, my Toyo's were lethal in snow, so I don't know where you're coming off saying they can be used in the snow. The T1-s's are a SUMMER tire only, therefore they are good in the dry and wet, no snow at all. In fact, summer tires literally won't move in the snow. Fsttyms1 was telling me that once he got caught in a light snow storm with his summer tires on, and he couldn't even make it up the driveway in his car. Apparently it's that bad...don't use Summers in the snow...
Old 10-11-2004, 06:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sc354
Ummm??? Last time I checked, my Toyo's were lethal in snow, so I don't know where you're coming off saying they can be used in the snow. The T1-s's are a SUMMER tire only, therefore they are good in the dry and wet, no snow at all. In fact, summer tires literally won't move in the snow. Fsttyms1 was telling me that once he got caught in a light snow storm with his summer tires on, and he couldn't even make it up the driveway in his car. Apparently it's that bad...don't use Summers in the snow...
This is of course good advice.

Neither the T1-S nor the ES 100 should be used in snow. Both would be dangerous.

I think we may be mising something here? Maybe timp meant to say both the T1-S and the Michelins are equally horrible in snow?
Old 10-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Intermediate

That's it.
Hey, Bratw8, you're in Milwaukee. What do you do in winter ? What I'm seeing in upstate NY is that budget cut-backs mean no more, or a lot less, salt on the roads.

I'm going to check out Tire Rack too. THx for the info.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

That's it.
Hey, Bratw8, you're in Milwaukee. What do you do in winter ? What I'm seeing in upstate NY is that budget cut-backs mean no more, or a lot less, salt on the roads.

I'm going to check out Tire Rack too. THx for the info.
I run Blizzak LM22 snow tires on the stock 17s. Not cheap (about $750 w/shipping), but an awesome snow tire with good dry handling as well.

I have heard good things about Dunlop Wintersport M2/M3 and I liked the Michelin Pilot Alpins that I used to run on my 325i in the winter (but not as much as the LM 22s).
Old 10-16-2004, 02:03 PM
Comptech Freak

T1-S is all season??

i just bought the sumitomo HTR+, hope they are gd
Old 10-16-2004, 02:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by samkws
T1-S is all season??
No.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Intermediate

Toyo will be releasing the new T1-R in the beginning of 2005. the new Rs are supposed to address the only "negative" thing about the T1-S - the mushy turn-in.

As a Miata.net member, everyone that has driven the T1-Ss, love the tire except for that one aspect. Of course Miatas and TLs are completely different cars, and the new stiffer sidewalls on the R maybe too much for a TL driver.

Here's a list of the new sizes:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...4282ee1829725d

And product info:

http://www.toyojapan.com/new_tires/index2_1.html
Old 11-28-2004, 09:16 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
I will only run the T1-S on my summer wheels...I was VERY satisfied with every aspect of the tire...the only thing I would consider switching to is the T1-R !