Megan Coilover

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 12:57 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Megan Coilover

Just wanted to post a review for megan coilvoers since Ive been getting pms about wanting to read a review

At first didnt want to try it, but my friend that had JICs before on his rsx type s switched to megan and told me that it rides even better. So i decided to just give it a shot since Ive saved up enough to buy these.

32 ways adjustable with upper pillar mount
-1 being the stiffest
-32 being the softest

Reviews posted on EVO forum, Zilvia(s13 and s14). Clubrsx etc. So check them out if you would like to hear more. Seems to be getting great feedback especially on s13 and s14 forums. Probably because the product has been out for almost a year.

Pros: Great price, great adjustability, and excellent quality. 2 year warranty comparing to one from other companies

Cons: The name megan(hahaha). I know it sounds kinda weird but it does catch some attention.

Review: I took the coilovers to a friends shop and it took him around 2.5 hours to install these. The whole backseat had to come off. Overall, it wasnt that bad and no fitment issues at all. No spring compressor needed since it came with pillar mount. You simply have to take off the stock ones and put in these.

First Impression: It was really bad! My friend dropped the car waaaaaaay too low. I believe the max for these coilvoers is almost around 3.5-4inches. After a few adjustments, the car was raised back up to around 1.6 in the front and 1.3 in the back. I didnt want to have any camber issues so I didnt slam it, but it still looks really good.

Driving: Ive been driving on the coilovers for about a week. At first the front was set at 20 and rear at 22. Lower number being the stiffest. I drove like this for a day and found it to be too stiff for me. I was too used to the ride of a stock suspension. The next day, I switched it to 26 in the front and 24 in the rear. I did the rear a little stiffer to neutralize the understeer. This came out to be a really good setting. The car rides really smooth on good roads. But youll feel it when you hit a pothole. Overall, the ride was waay better than stock. You kinda get the rock solid feeling when you drive. Brake diving and squating is greatly reduced. This made it very comfortable to drive during traffic. Also, during hard cornering(30 is consider hard for me), you can feel only a little body lean. Im sure setting it stiffer will take care of that. But its surprising how my stock tires dont sqeak anymore. I was also surprise to see that there were no coilvoer sqeaks that is very common among coilovers.

Overall: I would rec you guys giving these coilovers a try. The price should be close to just getting springs, shocks and a rear camber kit. Comparing to other coilvoers, you really do get a lot for the money. Not only do you get the adjustablitiy, but you also get the top of the line product comparing to the lower end for other brands. Also, for people that did not try it, please leave your comments to yourself. I dont think its fair to comment on something that youve never tried.

Forgot to mention, Ive had experience with buddyclub coilvoers, tokico blues with toms racing(TRD), H&R and JIC before
For comparison purposes
Buddyclub was too stiff for me. But it was probably the best ride out of all the coilvoers.
H&R sports. The ride was good, but the handling cannot be compared with megans. Not to mention the need for a camber kit
JIC. These looked the best but you get squeaks and its really annoying. Quality was the best
TRD with tokico blues. Ride was like stock but the rebound on these shocks is too slow.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:12 AM
HELP!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hm, so there's another suspension option for the tl? got any pics of the drop?
Old 02-18-2005, 06:16 AM
im the best

where did you find these, how much were they? i dont see anything about the coilovers with pillowball for the tl (or accord) on their site, but maybe its slow

now that spring is around the corner im looking into some teins or koni/tokico + gc
another alternative certainly wouldnt hurt
Old 02-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Racer

overboost u can just come check out my car at uci. I always see your tl parked in ssps.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:09 PM
HELP!

Originally Posted by keepingitclean
overboost u can just come check out my car at uci. I always see your tl parked in ssps.
hahaha it's kinda hard to find your car in a 7 story parking structure. There are a few other fixed up TLs at uci. wonder if they're on the boards as well.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:04 PM
All go, no show

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Price? It says $99.95 on Megan's site...
Old 02-18-2005, 09:32 PM
Racer

Its the damper kit not the sleeve coilvoeres
Old 02-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Since when was Megan considered "top of the line"?

It's always been a cheaper alternative to more renowned, often more expensive, brands. Also, 30 mph doesn't really give us much information, because it means nothing without the angle of the turn.

I'm just doing some constructive criticsm. It looks like Megan has caught on with the lack of aftermarket support for the TL, and they have been cranking out lots of stuff for our cars lately. I just hope they are not rushing things. Companies who dive into building lots of parts for a specific model in a short period of time tends to have problems. Megan came out of nowhere with headers for our cars a while back, and according to your signature, they even make a catback system for our cars. I'm just questioning their quality and durability.

Also, how much exactly was it? You're being extremely vague. Is there a reason why you can't straight up tell us how much you paid for it?
Old 02-18-2005, 10:13 PM
Racer

Considering other coilovers, the functions, warranty and built quality of these is consider to be top of the line. If you read the thread correctly, Ive never said megan was top of the line.

I said 30mph was only my own test. The turn was at a right angle 90 degree turn. Im not going to make a turn at 50 when i know the tl isnt really meant or cornering although it does have double wishbone. We are not talking maximum limit handling here. If I were to do that, I would slap on some azenis and set the coilovers stiffer. Its not worth it for me to risk my own life with the stock tires that I have. But i personally think its a huge imporvment over stock. Ive mentioned above that people with s13/14, rsx and evo have done reviews on these. Those cars can turn much better than the tl which will be a better representation. Also, s13 and 14 coilovers has been out for over a year

As far as catbacks goes, all mufflers are premade and the only important part is testing the flow of the pipes and also the length of the resonator to give it the satifying tone. Remember greddy only take a day to make an exhaust system. So its not like it takes forever to make one. About the coilvoers, the coilovers were manufactured in Taiwan by BCE(they are an oem manufacture for megan). If youre taiwanese, you should have heard of the company. The coilvoers were meant for an accord. They came out in 98 so its not like megan just made a set of coilvoers in a month. Its true that megan has caught up to the aftermarket support for the tl. this ismainly because many accord and tl parts are interchangeable.

The reason why I didnt want to mention the price above is because i dont wanna risk getting banned. A lot of times you just gotta follow the forum rule. Im here to do a review not to advertise.

As far as quality and durability is concerned, youll have to do more researches on other sites. There has tons and tons of long time reviews concerning this brand. Its new to tl and cl but it has been around for a while. Also, with the customer service that theyve been providing, seems like they are doing pretty well.

Thank you for your contructive questions/criticism because it seems like I didnt clear things up enough
Old 02-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Comptech Freak

this guy always priase the megan products...

if you really want to let ppl believe what you are talking here, you MUST have a very extentive research with all the main competitors of the products.

some of us here might think you are overly bias esp since you are a megan distributor, and you have yet to provide head to head comparison with Apexi, Tein coilovers which most TL users go for.

your comparison is with another car, which cannot affect on the TL at all coz they are different cars, and this varies on different car and model.

and how do you define quality? you have just put them on and how do you know what will happen in a year or two? they are not proven yet so i doubt they can be called "good quality", maybe "good ride" will be a better description

coilovers are no headers that you can clone one, maybe i am outdated but i don't know anyone using megan coilovers on the track or on their street car, if my memory serves me right they are not known for making suspension.

and i agree with pure adrenaline, how do you consider top of the line product when it has not track proven? and durability is a doubt.

i guess you should do a better research if you want to write up a comparison like this so we all will believe you.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:46 PM
Comptech Freak

yes you can tell us how much is it, but you just can't sell it

well, even the same brand will give different results on different cars, so the results on the other cars cannot be valid because the car's setting and weight distribution ratio is completely different
Old 02-18-2005, 10:55 PM
Dragging knees in

you also get the top of the line product comparing to the lower end for other brands.

That's where you said it was top of the line. Tein has a pretty strong reputation on this board to be the best suspension available for our cars.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to pick on you or anything. Your review on this new product is greatly appreciated, because this means our options in suspension choice has just been expanded. But I'm just trying to see both sides of this whole thing, ya know? I think it'll take a while to prove the durability, value and performance of these coilovers; only time will tell.

As far as I know, you're the only one with Megan coilovers on a TL. I know there are several members on the board with other Megan products already, and I'm sure a lot of them, along with other members, will give the Megan coilovers a try. Let's hope that it turns out to be a good product at an affordable price.

But as far as I'm concerned for now, I'm very happy with my Tein SS and EDFC. Worth every penny and then some.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:00 PM
Comptech Freak

Tein SS is gd if i can afford that~

but my Apexi worths every penny too, and wondering if megan can beat its price
Old 02-19-2005, 12:13 AM
HELP!

there's always a need for guinea pigs for new products. Hopefully we can see some good results
Old 02-19-2005, 12:39 AM
Racer

Im really really tired of the same people bashing on the same brand. Yes Im talking about you SAMkws. Im clearly here to provide a review of a product. If you guys dont like it, then dont buy it. Its getting even more and more frustrating when people cant even express their opinion on a product. I clearly stated that Ive only used the product for a little more thana week now. Durability wise, its been problem free according to s13 and s14, evo owners. Im a guinea pigh right now, and I feel like Ive made the right choice. You need to respect that. You need to respect people period Samkws.

As i said before, RESEARCH before you start bashing me. RESEARCH zilvia, evo and club rsx forum before you start bashing me. Research the damn bce before start bashing me. Stop busting out crap when youre bringing up so many questions that can be answered on other forums. Im clearly here to provide a review. Its true that Im a distributor. Why cant I stand up for a product I believe is good. It wouldnt make any sense if Im selling something that i dont even use myself. Have you guys ever thought about that?

Im only clearly here to tell you guys theres another alternative coming in a few weeks. Stop bashing and respect.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:41 AM
Racer

Please lock this mod. If acura-tl people dont respect me for posting a review, I dont feel like doing it either. Im only here to post a report not to get bash.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:48 AM
Comptech Freak

why would you think i am bashing on it?

i am jsut giving a non bias view here, and as a consumer stand point. i believe some customers will ask the same questions b4 they buy a product, they would want to know the details b4 they throw a few hundred dollars on it.

would anyone just buy a car or product without knowing the details?

and as i said, every car is different with the suspension setting and cannot be judge by using other cars. it's crap to compare the suspension on RSX to TL coz they are a different car.

what i said is you should compare with TL or accord at least to show the difference with other brands of coilovers such as Tein and Apexi, and some springs like comptech, eibach and H&R sport

they are the direct competition and it would be fair to compare with the same car
Old 02-19-2005, 12:52 AM
Comptech Freak

you are overly reacted with the posts here and all we tell u is to give a fair comparasion with the TL, not RSX or sivlia or whatsoever which we don't care

you are being too defensive with the questions we have raised and yet to tell us the price.

and how i bashed at u? i don't know shit about the megan coilovers and want to know more about it and you thought i am bashing on it....wtf
Old 02-19-2005, 01:09 AM
Racer

Consumers will simply do a search before asking all the questions. Consumers will take into account similar products used on other cars to test reliability and effectiveness. Isnt that why we chose an acura because hondas are known for reliability? Consumers wont be bias to crap on every page about megan regardless if its on acura-tl or v6performance. Im being defensive because you crap on every thread. If you would just look at the stuff youve commented on in the past month, you would know what Im talking about. All these stuff is coming from a person who DOESNT have any megan products on the car. You dont have megan anything and youre talking crap. And i remember you were one of those people who wanted megan headers but couldnt get in on the groupbuy. Im doing a review here, Im not providing all the little specs and measurements. Thats something a company should do. Now if you would just stop what youre doing and respect other people. If you really have questions, call megan and ask them. Im a consumer too and I feel I have the right to post a review and comment on stuff I think its good. Im not even selling on here. If people buy the coilovers, they are probably not buying it from me because theres a lot of megan distributors out there. So dont think Im posting a review to lure buyers to myself. Im doing it because i feel like it is better than apexi coilovers(better adjustibility, warranty, and RIDE not to mention its discontinued so dont think about rebuilt or resale value). Its better than Tein basic and ss because its cheaper and more functions. But thats just me, you gotta respect that and respect what other people write.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:12 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 644 Likes on 285 Posts
i have to clarify one thing first.

Tein is NOT the best suspension for the TL...Zeal Function B6 is by FAR the better suspension.

other than that, keepingitclean, you're pushing a product you sell, and you sound like a salesman...samkws sounds like an informed buyer, with legitimate questions to your posted claims.

back it up, or don't bother if you can't take the questions.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:18 AM
Racer

Im not a salesman. Thats something everyone needs to get straight. Im posting a review on what I think. If people have questions, ask megan. Everything you have, ask megan. I dont see people answering questions about springs rate or rebound rates when they install hr and tokicos and post a review. By answering questions that simply a company would know would make me look like Im pushing the product.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:18 AM
Dragging knees in

Im not a salesman. Thats something everyone needs to get straight. Im posting a review on what I think. If people have questions, ask megan. Everything you have, ask megan. I dont see people answering questions about springs rate or rebound rates when they install hr and tokicos and post a review. By answering questions that simply a company would know would make me look like Im pushing the product.
Sometimes, when you're a retailer of a certain brand, then you shouldn't make reviews regarding the products of that brand. Yeah, I understand you're posting a review from a consumer's stand point of view, but you have to admit that it just sounds like a sales pitch to us, ya know? Whether you intended to or not, that's irrelevant. It's a natural perception.

Again, thanks for the review. I'm sure members will find it helpful.

On a separate note, I don't mean to sound biased, but samkws is really just asking questions. I ask identical or similar questions when I'm about to make a purchase, because I want to know that I'm spending my dollars for the best value they can get me. You shouldn't take it personally. The fact that you sell Megan products, and you post about them, obviously it makes you the target of questions and criticism; but it's almost never personal. They are criticizing the products, not you.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:04 AM
im the best

as with just about anything on this forum... take it for what you can get out of it. so far from what i can tell he's the only person who has mentioned these (regardless of his affiliation of it) and thats what i got out of it. so i thank him for that much at least and i leave it at that...
Old 02-19-2005, 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
So post links to all of these reviews you say you've seen. I could only find two, and neither were for the TL or Accord.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Cyberathlete101

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
so much love in d air!!!!!! lol......
i m a interested customer....with jus one ? how much to buy aset???
Old 02-20-2005, 02:45 AM
All go, no show

Originally Posted by shogun
as with just about anything on this forum... take it for what you can get out of it. so far from what i can tell he's the only person who has mentioned these (regardless of his affiliation of it) and thats what i got out of it. so i thank him for that much at least and i leave it at that...

I agree.

And Sam, all u do is "Comptech Comptech Comptech", so what do u care? I distinctly remember you replying with "Comptech" to a thread about CHEAP HEADERS. You're obviously biased to whatever crap you own, so why shouldn't Keepingitclean? And please, read the rules for the blackmarket... there's no need to comment on every goddamn "For Sale" post.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:40 PM
Cyberathlete101

LOL........FEEL D LOV PPL....FEEL D LOV....

back to my question......HOW MUCH DO THESE MEAGAN COILOVER WILL COST US?
Old 02-20-2005, 07:02 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by PenguinQX
I agree.

And Sam, all u do is "Comptech Comptech Comptech", so what do u care? I distinctly remember you replying with "Comptech" to a thread about CHEAP HEADERS. You're obviously biased to whatever crap you own, so why shouldn't Keepingitclean? And please, read the rules for the blackmarket... there's no need to comment on every goddamn "For Sale" post.
i believe ppl would recommend the parts that they own if the result is gd, but i do have some concerns

i did not priase my exhaust since they are not as loud as i think

i wanted to buy the AEM V2 but it costs a lot more than the icebox

i got the comptech headers coz i don't want to have fitment issues, and they can resale for a gd price

i haven't installed my Apexi coilovers so i never said it's better than this and that.

all i just pointed out was the comparison is not valid coz TL is no RSX or silvia. and others pointed this out too.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:03 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by freeurmind69

he will tell you to ask megan
Old 02-20-2005, 08:17 PM
Instructor

damn man can't he just tell us how much, this is ridiculous, why even talk about them and praise them if your not going to tell people how much they cost. i mean cost is always the bottom line when trying out a new product, isn't it?
Old 02-20-2005, 08:29 PM
All go, no show

Originally Posted by samkws
but my Apexi worths every penny too, and wondering if megan can beat its price
That's odd, so how do you know it's worth every penny then? Anyway, i'm just saying you do tend to toot your own horn.

I agree though, keepingitclean should be able to tell us the price.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:04 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by PenguinQX
That's odd, so how do you know it's worth every penny then? Anyway, i'm just saying you do tend to toot your own horn.

I agree though, keepingitclean should be able to tell us the price.
with 445 shipped it only can get you H&R sport and tokico blues

and what real coilovers you can get with that price?

i asked him a few times regardless the price and he's reluctant to tell us...
Old 02-20-2005, 09:14 PM
Racer

Give me a break guys. Ive already got in trouble with the mod and Im not planning to risk my membership to this site. I appreciate smitty for giving me a chance to work things out. Plus whatever I put out will get crap on anywayz. If i put its 1 g, people will say its not worth it or i rather buy other brands instead. If i put two hundred you guys will doubt the quality and say its crap. Im pretty much left with nothing to say so please just give me a break. Its really hard to communicate online with members here because Im not sure how people will take the words that i say. So please just take this simply as an unbias review as it was intended and not an advertisement.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:05 AM
Cyberathlete101

MOD: is "keep" ALLOWED"
Old 02-21-2005, 12:09 AM
Cyberathlete101

MOD: is "keep" ALLOWED" to tell us d price of d coilovers?? if NOT.....then i'll respect d rule.

if YES: "keep" pls jus tell us d price n SAVE D DRAMA.

QUESTION: these coilovers r not display at MEGAN'S website????

thx.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:53 AM
Comptech Freak

ok...since he's not able to answer, i got some info for WHAT I SAW at another forum

keepingitclean is gathering a GB at another forum (which i cannot disclose in public due to the rules of the forum) for both megan headers and megan coilovers

megan header is 200 shipped and the infamous "top of the line" megan adjustable coilovers are 850 shipped

ok i just here to give you the answer you want and don't ask me coz i am not selling those, i don't know crap about them so i won't comment on these products either~

just to share the info for our guys

btw...the post he did in another fourm pretty much similar to the one he posted here.....
Old 02-21-2005, 04:25 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by samkws
the infamous "top of the line" megan adjustable coilovers are 850 shipped...
DAMM! That's pretty expensive for such a new/unproven product (as compared to Tein and Zeal)
Old 02-21-2005, 05:06 AM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by AsianRage
DAMM! That's pretty expensive for such a new/unproven product (as compared to Tein and Zeal)
850 shipped is same price as the Tein SS, which is made in Japan
Old 02-21-2005, 10:00 AM
im the best

Originally Posted by freeurmind69

direct from megan
"MSRP is around 1000.00.
Thanks"

also from them:
"the damper kits for TL are coming in March, full suspension."

i emailed them a week ago or so just for info.

and lol on the 'feel d lov'
Old 02-21-2005, 11:10 PM
Cyberathlete101

lol.......thx guys.......MSRP $1000....mmmm thought it be a bit cheaper compare with teins..

shogun.....wat is d damper kits ????

Quick Reply: Megan Coilover