installing coilovers easy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
installing coilovers easy?

i really want to buy coilovers, but adding that extra 150-200$ for labor to the already high price is really a bummer.. i want to save some $$$, so you guys think installing coilovers will be doable?? i havne't done any suspension jobs, so will this be relatively hard?
Old 05-25-2005, 05:52 PM
Comptech Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
springs or coilvers the job is the same, and labour is the same

if you want to save money you should not touch your car at all, that will save up a lot more than you think of

if you have no money then do not mod your car, this is my 2 cents

but you since you bought them already, you don't want to mess up some nice and expensive coilovers

also you will need a spring compressor to get the piilowball mount out, so not sure if you can do it on ur own
Old 05-25-2005, 05:54 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
If you've never done it, then it won't be an easy job. But it is pretty straight-forward.

For the front, you will have to disconnect the strut fork from the lower control arm (one bolt) and 3 top mount bolts from the engine bay. Then the strut will come out.

For the rear, you will have to take out the backseats, get underneath the rear dash and unbolt the two nuts holding the strut assembly, and once again disconnect the strut assembly from the control arm.

It may sound easy, but you WILL run into problems such as seized bolts/nuts. Those can be a pain in the ass, and it will be very difficult. Find a member in your area who is familiar with the procedure and have him help you out.

Also, it will be a lot easier with air tools; if you don't have any, it's gonna be about 5 times harder.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:02 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by samkws
springs or coilvers the job is the same, and labour is the same

if you want to save money you should not touch your car at all, that will save up a lot more than you think of

if you have no money then do not mod your car, this is my 2 cents

but you since you bought them already, you don't want to mess up some nice and expensive coilovers

also you will need a spring compressor to get the piilowball mount out, so not sure if you can do it on ur own
Factory strut assemblies do not have pillowball mounts. They just have regular top mounts.

When I started modifying my car, I HATED paying other people to do the work on my own car; that and, I am cheap. So armed with the DIY information, I took on the tasks myself. It was extremely frustrating and stress-inducing at first. But over time, I started obtaining more tools along the way and gathering more information.

If you're planning on doing more modifications in the future and doing it yourself, then this will be an EXCELLENT way to learn and a good, but challenging, first step. After this, you will get a very good idea of how suspension works.

I would recommend doing it yourself only if you have the patience and the desire to learn. If you don't, then it will be a lot better to take it to a shop. It's not worth the headache.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
When I started modifying my car, I HATED paying other people to do the work on my own car; that and, I am cheap. .

werd yo!. alright. well, i guess i can find someone.. is there anyone willing to help me out?? lowell/boston area..?
Old 05-25-2005, 06:12 PM
Burning Brakes

where can i find the DIY to this?
Old 05-25-2005, 06:19 PM
Dragging knees in

Run a search. It should be very easy to find.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:49 PM
Comptech Freak

Factory strut assemblies do not have pillowball mounts. They just have regular top mounts.

When I started modifying my car, I HATED paying other people to do the work on my own car; that and, I am cheap. So armed with the DIY information, I took on the tasks myself. It was extremely frustrating and stress-inducing at first. But over time, I started obtaining more tools along the way and gathering more information.

If you're planning on doing more modifications in the future and doing it yourself, then this will be an EXCELLENT way to learn and a good, but challenging, first step. After this, you will get a very good idea of how suspension works.

I would recommend doing it yourself only if you have the patience and the desire to learn. If you don't, then it will be a lot better to take it to a shop. It's not worth the headache.
LOL Rob i am different, i live in a small condo with little or no tools at all (only screw drivers and a plastic hammer)

that doesn't enable me to do on my own
Old 05-25-2005, 06:50 PM
Comptech Freak

btw if you plan to do this on your own, taking the old unit out will be pain in the ass, my mech took a while to take it out and it would be another pain in the ass to put the new one fit
Old 05-25-2005, 09:33 PM
Dragging knees in

LOL Rob i am different, i live in a small condo with little or no tools at all (only screw drivers and a plastic hammer)

that doesn't enable me to do on my own
Oh, no. That wasn't directed toward you or anybody. I was just saying how it was for me.

But while we're on the subject, I lived in my fraternity house (no garage, obviously) and now I'm living in an apartment for the summer. No place to work on my car, so I just go to my friends' places. It's a pain in the ass and I wish I had my own garage, but someday.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:36 PM
Comptech Freak

Oh, no. That wasn't directed toward you or anybody. I was just saying how it was for me.

But while we're on the subject, I lived in my fraternity house (no garage, obviously) and now I'm living in an apartment for the summer. No place to work on my car, so I just go to my friends' places. It's a pain in the ass and I wish I had my own garage, but someday.
man i thought you have your own garage

you should start a tuner shop business, you don't need to be a mech to run it
Old 05-26-2005, 12:51 AM
Dragging knees in

man i thought you have your own garage

you should start a tuner shop business, you don't need to be a mech to run it
A few of my very close friends and I will be opening one soon. We have everything planned out, and we're in the process of drafting a business plan to present to possible investors. Once the money is there, we're gonna go ahead and open one.

I know more than the general public, yeah, but I don't think it's enough to operate a shop -- that's where my friends come in. Two of them are attending UTI right now, and all are damn good with cars. They can do engine swaps with their eyes closed. I will be working on the cars, but I will also be the guy behind the desk since I'm the one with a Business Management degree. My dream is coming closer to reality.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:03 AM
Comptech Freak

A few of my very close friends and I will be opening one soon. We have everything planned out, and we're in the process of drafting a business plan to present to possible investors. Once the money is there, we're gonna go ahead and open one.

I know more than the general public, yeah, but I don't think it's enough to operate a shop -- that's where my friends come in. Two of them are attending UTI right now, and all are damn good with cars. They can do engine swaps with their eyes closed. I will be working on the cars, but I will also be the guy behind the desk since I'm the one with a Business Management degree. My dream is coming closer to reality.
now you make me want to be part of it, i can do sales and marketing
Old 05-26-2005, 01:16 AM
Dragging knees in

now you make me want to be part of it, i can do sales and marketing
If you want to commute between Detroit and Toronto everyday...
Old 05-26-2005, 01:21 AM
Comptech Freak

If you want to commute between Detroit and Toronto everyday...
i can be the sales manager in canada division

whenever ppl need parts you can bring them across the border so we can make money from there~
Old 05-26-2005, 01:34 AM
Burning Brakes

a little of topic guys.. - but thanks for the input ..
Old 05-26-2005, 01:53 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by whatwasthat
a little of topic guys.. - but thanks for the input ..
What can I say? I'm a PW at heart.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by whatwasthat
i really want to buy coilovers, but adding that extra 150-200$ for labor to the already high price is really a bummer.. i want to save some $$$, so you guys think installing coilovers will be doable?? i havne't done any suspension jobs, so will this be relatively hard?
I never worked on a car before, and I installed springs with my friend without a problem. Coilovers should be even easier since you don't have to compress the springs. As long as you're somewhat mechanically inclined, and have all the right tools, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by parvo99
I never worked on a car before, and I installed springs with my friend without a problem. Coilovers should be even easier since you don't have to compress the springs. As long as you're somewhat mechanically inclined, and have all the right tools, you shouldn't have a problem.
In this case, yes, he still has to compress the springs. He didn't get pillowball mounts, so he's gotta compress the stock springs and take off the factory top mounts.

If there's an AutoZone near where you live, you can rent 'em for free -- just gotta put down a deposit.