Cornering?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 08:46 PM
SIMPLY TL Type S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cornering?

I want to be able to corner allot better. What can really help? How much would the mods cost for parts and labor? Any recommendations or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to any mods which don't effect the ride quality! If the ride is going to get rough, then it isn't worth it for me.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:05 PM
All go, no show

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swaybars! Cost about $200 (used).. I paid $40 to get mine installed... I have Eibachs.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:15 PM
SIMPLY TL Type S

Originally Posted by PenguinQX
Swaybars! Cost about $200 (used).. I paid $40 to get mine installed... I have Eibachs.
How much of a noticable difference did they really make for you? Any specific brand that you recommend besides eibachs?
Old 06-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Burning Brakes

comptech are very good. again, search the forum and you will find tons of posts. plus, lowering your car + sways will be greatly benefitial
Old 06-15-2005, 09:55 PM
Burning Brakes

it also depends on how much $$$ you have. drop your car w/ H&R springs w/ Koni yellow for a pretty good ride... or for some more dough get TEIN SS and have near stock ride..
Old 06-15-2005, 09:56 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
front and rear sway bars, drop the car, better tires; i guess thats it.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:02 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Check the wheels/tires/suspension section of this forum. ALL of your answers will be found there.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:54 PM
Show me da MONEY

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
front and rear sway bars, drop the car, better tires; i guess thats it.
That's what I did when I first got my car, and still loving the ride!
Old 06-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
What they said

Front and Rear Sways
Springs
Tires

You will be amazed the difference it makes.

02 WDP TLS w/ Black Interior
1/4 mile: 14.58 @95.87MPH
17x7" Konig Appeals SMF
P225/45ZR-17 Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S
Comptech Sways & Springs
Comptech Icebox
Mugen Cooling Mods
NEO Anti Freeze
NEO Oil 5w-20
Formula 1 Millennium 28% tint
Pending -
ThermoBloc
UR Pullies
Rotors, pads and SS lines
headers - this year maybe?
more racer tweaks

Ruf
Old 06-15-2005, 11:21 PM
Comptech Freak

Tires are most impt

also get some coilovers
front strut bar
swar bars
Old 06-15-2005, 11:22 PM
Comptech Freak

my apexi coilovers costs about 600 plus 120 for labour but the ride is kinda punishing vs stock

but it's hella gd

if you want stock ride then just get some better tires, sumitomo HTR+ is a gd choice, they wear out quick (around 15-20k miles) but grip as hell...

and they are only 76 each at tirerack, i use them as my winter set of tires

i have toyo T1-S for my summer but kinda disappointed coz they cannot outperform my cheap, reliable sumitomos
Old 06-15-2005, 11:34 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by samkws
i have toyo T1-S for my summer but kinda disappointed coz they cannot outperform my cheap, reliable sumitomos
How's that? T1-S used to be spec tires in sanctioned races. I drove the living piss out of them at Mid-America Motorplex, and I couldn't outdrive their grip while diving into turns after turns at 50+ mph.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:43 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
How's that? T1-S used to be spec tires in sanctioned races. I drove the living piss out of them at Mid-America Motorplex, and I couldn't outdrive their grip while diving into turns after turns at 50+ mph.
except the sidewall is stiffer on this (i run 38psi on my toyos vs 32psi)

honestly i don't feel they grip better, even my mech told me the compunds on the Sumitomos are softer than my Toyos, which is why i only have less than 60% left after only 4 months of driving

maybe you can get a set for winter, since they are only 76 each, a gd recommendation for winter setup
Old 06-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Dragging knees in

except the sidewall is stiffer on this (i run 38psi on my toyos vs 32psi)

honestly i don't feel they grip better, even my mech told me the compunds on the Sumitomos are softer than my Toyos, which is why i only have less than 60% left after only 4 months of driving

maybe you can get a set for winter, since they are only 76 each, a gd recommendation for winter setup
Possibly. I'll be using factory third generation TL wheels for my winter setup, and I'll get the appropriate size winter tires. Sumitomo HTR+ are a great deal, but I'm leaning toward dedicated snow tires.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:00 AM
Comptech Freak

Possibly. I'll be using factory third generation TL wheels for my winter setup, and I'll get the appropriate size winter tires. Sumitomo HTR+ are a great deal, but I'm leaning toward dedicated snow tires.
oh so how about your type-S wheels?

i like sumitomos coz they grip well on a TL in snow and still gives gd traction in extreme low temp

snow tires burn out real quick if you drive hwy a lot, that's the reason i am not prefer snow tires
Old 06-16-2005, 01:15 AM
Dragging knees in

oh so how about your type-S wheels?

i like sumitomos coz they grip well on a TL in snow and still gives gd traction in extreme low temp

snow tires burn out real quick if you drive hwy a lot, that's the reason i am not prefer snow tires
I'll be selling them. They don't clear my front calipers, anyway.

I tried my brother's '05 TL wheels on my car, and I liked it. Besides, my current setup can accommodate wider and lower offset wheels, anyway. And they clear the calipers perfectly fine.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:24 AM
Comptech Freak

I'll be selling them. They don't clear my front calipers, anyway.

I tried my brother's '05 TL wheels on my car, and I liked it. Besides, my current setup can accommodate wider and lower offset wheels, anyway. And they clear the calipers perfectly fine.
i will pick up ur type-S rims next time when i see you, i need a set of winter rims anyways

they do clear the BBK with 5mm spacers, so i am not worried, but i am still waiting for my spacers after 3 fucking weeks
Old 06-16-2005, 01:40 AM
Dragging knees in

i will pick up ur type-S rims next time when i see you, i need a set of winter rims anyways

they do clear the BBK with 5mm spacers, so i am not worried, but i am still waiting for my spacers after 3 fucking weeks
Alright. We can talk about that at a later date. Winter isn't here yet, so I'm not in a rush to do anything about it. I'm too lazy.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:43 PM
SIMPLY TL Type S

Hmmm...talk is cheap, show me results!

Has anyone actually seen the difference after doing these mods? I mean noticeable difference, not that you actually think the car is cornering better. For example, there is a turn I take at a maximum speed of 45mph, now after doing these mods, if I can take that at 50-55mph then it is worth it for me to spend even $1k on the mods. Did anyone really test to see if they got real gains???

I don't mind spending the money if the results are there.

If you did get good noticeable results, then please list what you did and how much you spent and what the gains were? Give me facts people, not opinions... :wink:
Old 06-17-2005, 08:50 PM
I pimp an Audi A4.

Originally Posted by simplytltypes
Hmmm...talk is cheap, show me results!

Has anyone actually seen the difference after doing these mods? I mean noticeable difference, not that you actually think the car is cornering better. For example, there is a turn I take at a maximum speed of 45mph, now after doing these mods, if I can take that at 50-55mph then it is worth it for me to spend even $1k on the mods. Did anyone really test to see if they got real gains???

I don't mind spending the money if the results are there.

If you did get good noticeable results, then please list what you did and how much you spent and what the gains were? Give me facts people, not opinions... :wink:

i only have coilovers and i can make a 45mph turn at 70 i bet

tein ss coilovers - 850
Old 06-17-2005, 08:53 PM
I pimp an Audi A4.

if you want to handle corners better all you need is..
sticky tires
coilovers(or any lowering springs)
sway bars (eibach)
strut tower bar

and your car will handle/corner like a champ!
Old 06-17-2005, 09:40 PM
SIMPLY TL Type S

Originally Posted by pimpravi
if you want to handle corners better all you need is..
sticky tires
coilovers(or any lowering springs)
sway bars (eibach)
strut tower bar

and your car will handle/corner like a champ!

Ok, so what is the best Coilovers, Sway Bars & Strut Tower Bar?

Please remember I don't want to jeopardize ride quality for cornering...
Old 06-17-2005, 11:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok, so what is the best Coilovers, Sway Bars & Strut Tower Bar?

Please remember I don't want to jeopardize ride quality for cornering...
The best of the best? Ok, but as they say, if you have to ask how much they cost, you probably can't afford it.

Spring/Shocks- Zeal Function B6 Coil-overs
Sways - Comptech
Strut Bar- Comptech Titanium Front Strut Bar
Lower Tie Bar- Cusco

There ya go. 3k right there + install, but it will handle like no other.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:52 PM
I pimp an Audi A4.

or you could go with tein ss for about 900 - the lower you go the worse the ride gets.. remember that that goes for all lowering springs
Old 06-17-2005, 11:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpravi
or you could go with tein ss for about 900 - the lower you go the worse the ride gets.. remember that that goes for all lowering springs
Tein SS can in no way compare to the Zeals. They are just a cheaper solution for coil-overs.

And not entirely true for the zeals. Teins change the ride height by changing the load on the springs. The Zeals have a seperate height adjustmant from the spring load.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:36 AM
Dragging knees in

Give me facts people, not opinions... :wink:
What, you want us to hook up GPS test units and give you real time data on how many g's we're pulling?

Define facts in this context. All we can offer is opinions, and they are the closest substitute for these "facts" you want. The best you're going to get is how much a person loves a certain modification, and that's a very subjective issue at best. And everyone's opinions will vary to a certain degree.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:42 AM
PCM full of water, yummy

As far as facts.... with Eibach sways, new comptech springs (black, made by eibach), KYB shocks, and BFG KDW2 tires, the rear of my car will actually start to slide out on hard corners at speed, but is very predictable and easy to controll, instead of the front of car plowing through the corner when stock. The "feel"/opinion is what you should look for in a suspension. What would you rather have, a car that pulls 1.0g's but the car 'feels' like it is going slide off road, or a car that pulls .98g's, but is predictable and controllable.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
If you dont want to sacrifice ride, then the only mod I would recommend would be Sway bars. They provide a very noticeable difference in turns with no perceptable ride penaltly

At stock softness settings, coilovers wouldnt be providing much better handling. Any spring, strut, coilover setup when dialed in for better handling is going to stiffen up the ride.

Additional strut bars are more cosmetic than anything else, especially since we already have a Strut brace from the factory. They provide minimal benefit which is more for lowered cars. Save your money, unless you like the look.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:43 PM
SIMPLY TL Type S

Thanks guys for all your helpfull input. From the sound of it, it sounds like Sway bars will be my best bet since I don't want to jeapordize ride quality. Ok one last question or poll... In your opinion what do you recommend for sway bars? Please also put down the price range.

Thanks,
Jas
Old 06-18-2005, 08:44 PM
SIMPLY TL Type S

What, you want us to hook up GPS test units and give you real time data on how many g's we're pulling?

Define facts in this context. All we can offer is opinions, and they are the closest substitute for these "facts" you want. The best you're going to get is how much a person loves a certain modification, and that's a very subjective issue at best. And everyone's opinions will vary to a certain degree.

Sorry, I didn't mean that... What I was wondering was if someone with their stock car remembers taking a turn at 40mph and after doing the mods was able to get much better results. Those to me would be facts. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:08 PM
Instructor

As some of the members have posted already, your best bet for "factual" benefits, without sacrificing the sport-luxury feel of the TLS, would be to stick with sway bars: Either Eibach or Comptech are the best you can get for the TLS; personally I went for the Eibach sway bars because it has a little albeit slightly thicker rears sway bar at 23mm instead of Comptech's 22mm rear sway bars. The fronts are 27mm, but it's the rear sway bars that make a difference in the TL's cornering performance to reduce the understeer feel of the car and typical front wheel drive cars's understeering. Comptech sway bars are great and recommended but some member had a broken sway bar that Comptech did not warrant/replace and some members had some concerns that the sway bars would rust like previous,silver Comptech lowering springs; Comptech certainly had some quality issues with those silver springs. Now they are rebadged Eibach springs with a more aggressive lowering height.

Eibach sway bars and Comptech sway bars are around $300-330US dollars (free shipping from some places but it'll probably be more money for the sway bar or if you look around). Installation I can't see it costing more than $75 but then again, if you got mechanical ampitude, you can do it yourself through the DIY ( do-it-yourself) guides that can be found in these forums.

As for impressions on the improvement of sway bars on the Acura TL's stock handling, it will probably improve it about 75% (no this is not fact, this is subjective as some other members have said the same also). Just remember, just because you upgrade sway bars, there's a cascade effect: one modification usually has an impact on another suspension part; for example, you beef up your suspension such as sway bars, you better not be riding on stock TL tires, unless they still have good tread life left, or you will be jeopardizing your life by sliding, tire squealing and losing control from poor tire traction on the road; by the way it sounds, you drive aggressively and perhaps unsafely so heed these words. The sway bars will make your car have more of a "lateral, flat" feel of the car and it taxes your tire's ability to hold its traction on the road; next thing you know, you may be sliding into a pole,ditch, or on the opposite side of the lane into oncoming traffic if you are careless.YES, this is FACT; if you want to ask another board member called , Edalang, he can tell you the dangers.

I'd recommend to start with ONE modification first to test it's full potential first and how it improves the car's overall handling characteristics. This was my first modification and as some members have said, like Mr. Hyde, "the sway bars should have come with the car from the factory" and this is a very well-worth-doing modification and it has NO effect on the stock ride quality. The car will be able to take corners quicker and more easier and with less effort for the turn-ins: from my words, this is FACT
Old 06-18-2005, 11:16 PM
SIMPLY TL Type S

Originally Posted by Michael03TLS
As some of the members have posted already, your best bet for "factual" benefits, without sacrificing the sport-luxury feel of the TLS, would be to stick with sway bars: Either Eibach or Comptech are the best you can get for the TLS; personally I went for the Eibach sway bars because it has a little albeit slightly thicker rears sway bar at 23mm instead of Comptech's 22mm rear sway bars. The fronts are 27mm, but it's the rear sway bars that make a difference in the TL's cornering performance to reduce the understeer feel of the car and typical front wheel drive cars's understeering. Comptech sway bars are great and recommended but some member had a broken sway bar that Comptech did not warrant/replace and some members had some concerns that the sway bars would rust like previous,silver Comptech lowering springs; Comptech certainly had some quality issues with those silver springs. Now they are rebadged Eibach springs with a more aggressive lowering height.

Eibach sway bars and Comptech sway bars are around $300-330US dollars (free shipping from some places but it'll probably be more money for the sway bar or if you look around). Installation I can't see it costing more than $75 but then again, if you got mechanical ampitude, you can do it yourself through the DIY ( do-it-yourself) guides that can be found in these forums.

As for impressions on the improvement of sway bars on the Acura TL's stock handling, it will probably improve it about 75% (no this is not fact, this is subjective as some other members have said the same also). Just remember, just because you upgrade sway bars, there's a cascade effect: one modification usually has an impact on another suspension part; for example, you beef up your suspension such as sway bars, you better not be riding on stock TL tires, unless they still have good tread life left, or you will be jeopardizing your life by sliding, tire squealing and losing control from poor tire traction on the road; by the way it sounds, you drive aggressively and perhaps unsafely so heed these words. The sway bars will make your car have more of a "lateral, flat" feel of the car and it taxes your tire's ability to hold its traction on the road; next thing you know, you may be sliding into a pole,ditch, or on the opposite side of the lane into oncoming traffic if you are careless.YES, this is FACT; if you want to ask another board member called , Edalang, he can tell you the dangers.

I'd recommend to start with ONE modification first to test it's full potential first and how it improves the car's overall handling characteristics. This was my first modification and as some members have said, like Mr. Hyde, "the sway bars should have come with the car from the factory" and this is a very well-worth-doing modification and it has NO effect on the stock ride quality. The car will be able to take corners quicker and more easier and with less effort for the turn-ins: from my words, this is FACT

Excellent post man, thanks. I think I will be buying the Eibach sway bars soon. Do you think my tires will be decent enought? I just bought these FALKEN ZIEX ZE-512.

Thanks,
Jas
Old 06-20-2005, 05:08 AM
Instructor

Yes they should do fine in combination with the Eibach sway bars and yes you will notice quite a bit of a change in handling, especially to get rid of that "side-side rolling feeling" during lane changes and taking corners, another name is body rolling, that TL/TLS are known to have.

Be aware that the FALKEN ZIEX ZE-512 do have a softer side wall that most people recognize and complain about, in comparison to tires such as Bridgestone's S03's, Michelin Pilot Sports, and a few other top end tires ; that is not to say the tires won't hold up. Probably any upgraded tire is going to be better than those stock Michelin tires that came with your TLS. The Falkens can be firmer in terms of the side walls, but the stickiness and traction of the rubber compound is pretty good for the roads in wet or dry. Your car will move quite lateral, flat and seem very stable with the new sway bar upgrade but taking a corner is where stiffer side walls come into play: As you take a corner you are applying alot more "diving" force so you may feel your car "nose-dives" in cornering and it is probably just due to softer tire walls. Not every driver will notice/complain about it on the Falken tires but it's just something to know.

Other than that, happy modding!
Old 08-23-2005, 06:56 PM
Racer

Progressive improvements....(this is subjective, but these are my thoughts)

1) Equipped with 19x8 wheels; 225/35/19 Nitto Extreme

Stock Springs & Bars

Ride Comfort 7.40/10
Noise Comfort 7.25/10
Handling 7.50/10
Road Rating 7.40/10

2) Equipped with 19x8 wheels; 225/35/19 Nitto Extreme

Tein High.Tech Springs & Stock Sway Bars

Ride Comfort 7.20/10
Noise Comfort 7.15/10
Handling 8.00/10
Road Rating 7.50/10

3) Equipped with 19x8 wheels; 225/35/19 Nitto Extreme

Tein High.Tech Springs & Eibach Anti-Roll-Kit Way Bars

Ride Comfort 7.10/10
Noise Comfort 7.00/10
Handling 8.50/10
Road Rating 7.60/10
Old 08-23-2005, 07:04 PM
Racer

Neutral understeer. Steering response is quick. It does not feel like a front wheel drive.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Instructor

I want to be able to corner allot better. What can really help? How much would the mods cost for parts and labor? Any recommendations or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to any mods which don't effect the ride quality! If the ride is going to get rough, then it isn't worth it for me.
"Neutral understeer" ahhh, what is that??

I only drive my wife's TL-S in stock form and haven't done any modification to it. IMO, the original question is how could he make the car corner better. My answers: "Bigger balls ,Driver's Education, eventually HPDE on the track" My humble experience on the TL is that it does have a really vague turn-in feel... thanks to the tall side wall and weird suspension setup... Once the car pitch, it does have a pretty good cornering ability, for a heavy FWD Sedan, that is.

You may also play around with the tire pressure... before you plunge all the money into the mods. As you are getting better tires, sway bar, and other suspension components. You will take the comfort and longetivity away. ie, camber and toe change after you lowered the car. At one point, if driven correctly, you will realize you wasting a lot of your concentration on balancing your body to control the car... knee on the door, inconsistance steering input...

Then you will need a racing seat. Which further take the luxury, and comfort away... next will be lighten the car, roll cage...etc. but I guessed there won't b any TL owner going that route.

so the real question is, before you spending 3-5k on mods to make the TL corner better, maybe this 5k could get you a seasoned race car.

ok, guessed I'm going too far here, I would agreed that better tires and sway bar would be the two noticeable mods. at your stage. (Or spending couple hundreds on driver's education, which I strongly suggested.)
Old 08-24-2005, 05:53 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Michael03TLS

The Tl-S already has factory sway bars. Are you recommending upgrading these? What about new bushings?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Minkster
The Tl-S already has factory sway bars. Are you recommending upgrading these? What about new bushings?
Indeed, he is. In fact Michael has the Eibach sways installed. New bushings usually come with the new sways I believe.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by power-fade
Neutral understeer. Steering response is quick. It does not feel like a front wheel drive.
I mean minimal understeer.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:49 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by power-fade
With adjustable shock absorbers, you can tune your car from even more understeer to neutral, or even all the way to heavy oversteer.

Quick Reply: Cornering?