0ff-set question...too many answers!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 05:41 PM
03 TL w/ NAVI, 65 CUTLASS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
0ff-set question...too many answers!!

OK, I KNOW EVERYONE LOOKING AT THIS SITE IS AN ACURA NUT, KNOWS EVERYTHING, HAS DONE IT ALL, SO HELP ME OUT. I'M A CLASSIC CAR GUY AT HEART (65 CUTLASS CONV. FULL RESTORE...THAT'S ANOTHER STORY), BUT I OWN AN 03 TL AND I WANT TO START MODIFYING. MY QUESTION IS:

CAN I USE AN 18x8 +40 ON 225/40R18??

I AM FAMILIAR WITH ROLLING FENDERS, WHICH I KNOW I WOULD NEED TO DO ON THE REAR, I THINK THE FRONT WOULD BE FINE. I ALSO WANT TO LOWER IT, BUT DO NOT WANT IT DRAGGING BECAUSE THIS IS AN EVERYDAY DRIVER, I NEED TO BE PRACTICAL. I JUST WANT TO LOWER IT ENOUGH SO PEOPLE KNOW THAT IT DEFINATELY ISN'T STOCK RIDE HEIGHT, AND I DON'T WANT A LARGE GAP IN THE WHEEL WELL.

I SEE SO MANY PEOPLE RUNNING 35 OFF-SETS, BUT THEN SOME PEOPLE TELL ME I NEED AT LEAST A 48. IT SEEMS LIKE NOONE KNOW'S WHAT WILL AND WILL NOT WORK. THE FACTORY OFF-SET IS LIKE 55, BUT THE STOCK WHEEL IS REALLY TUCKED UNDER ALL FOUR FENDERS, IT SEEMS LIKE THERE IS PLENTY OF SPACE FOR A LOWER OFF-SET THAN 50??

I HAVE DONE ALOT OF RESEARCH, I KNOW THAT THE 225/40 TIRE IS THE CLOSEST OVERALL DIAMETER TO THE STOCK TIRE SIZE. THERE IS A TSW WHEEL CALLED THE "VAIRANO" WHICH THEY MAKE IN A 18X8 +40 WHICH I REALLY WANT. A VERY RELIABLE LOCAL GUY TOLD ME HE KNOW'S THEY WILL WORK, BUT I WANT SOME INPUT FROM ANYONE WHO HAS TRIED.

AS OF NOW, I FEEL LIKE THOSE WHEELS, TIRES, 2" DROP F&R, CAMBER KIT F&R, ROLLED REAR FENDERS WOULD DO THE JOB. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK AND IF ANYONE HAS PICS.

ALSO, WHAT "TABS" ARE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT CUTTING, I'M LOST ON THAT ONE.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:55 PM
spaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those will fit easily.
especially if you don't plan on lowering a whole lot.

you don't need to worry about cutting tabs or rolling fenders.
i would get a camber kit but it may not be needed.

as for lowering; theres coilovers (the right way) and springs (the cheap way)
this has been discussed ad nauseum so search and pick.

good luck.
btw quit using caps. it makes your post damn near impossible to read.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Cutting tabs:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=30
Old 01-28-2009, 08:10 PM
III
prototype

those will work very easily as stated above. you may have to roll fenders, you may not, depends on how low youre gonna go. fronts wont be a problem. if you're familiar with rolling fenders then it's all G for you, go for it
Old 01-29-2009, 08:12 AM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

Originally Posted by tegkid
those will fit easily.
especially if you don't plan on lowering a whole lot.

you don't need to worry about cutting tabs or rolling fenders.
i would get a camber kit but it may not be needed.

as for lowering; theres coilovers (the right way) and springs (the cheap way)
this has been discussed ad nauseum so search and pick.

good luck.
btw quit using caps. it makes your post damn near impossible to read.
...dude that is in no way a "cheap way" as u call it...u consider paying for springs and then the right shocks and ur savin urself about 200 or so than coilovers...im happy with my 2" drop...but for u to say springs is a cheap way is jus wrong man...
to the op....if u say ur familiar with rolling and cuttin then go with a more aggresive offset if you would like...
Old 01-29-2009, 09:04 AM
spaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cheaper*
i dont think saving 200 bucks is worth it compared to the advantages that true coilovers can give you. but i've already discussed my viewpoints on this manner in other threads.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:18 AM
03 TL w/ NAVI, 65 CUTLASS

thanks for the replies guys, i kinda feel better about spending the money on these wheels now. someone mentioned a more aggressive off-set, like what...+35??? maybe 18x9 +35 on the rear and 18x8 +40 on the front?? i love how if you call a wheel company and tell them what kind of car you have, they say "we don't have wheels for your car"....then you go online and see people running those wheels on the same car...some people just make no sense to me. it's like they don't want to sell the things. again i appreciate the input, and if anyone hasn't seen those TSW Vairano wheels, peep this pic!!

Old 01-29-2009, 10:13 AM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

cheaper*
i dont think saving 200 bucks is worth it compared to the advantages that true coilovers can give you. but i've already discussed my viewpoints on this manner in other threads.
adavntages? from what i have seen others post is a stiffer ride and lower drop...i understand some people wanna be dropped to the ground but itz not for all of us...and 200 bux is a lot nowadays..u could use those 200 extra bux for a different mod or towards some nice wheels.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
cheaper*
The only advantage they have is you are able to adjust the height. And honestly, how many times do you do that considering its a pain to do, and every time you do you should get an alignment? You can get every bit as good or better from a good adjustable shock like the Koni Yellow and a spring like H&R or Eibach

Though i do wish H&R had the H&R PCS Damper Adjustable Coil Over for our car
Old 01-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by ZEUS'O3TL
...dude that is in no way a "cheap way" as u call it...u consider paying for springs and then the right shocks and ur savin urself about 200 or so than coilovers...im happy with my 2" drop...but for u to say springs is a cheap way is jus wrong man...
to the op....if u say ur familiar with rolling and cuttin then go with a more aggresive offset if you would like...
exactly I dont want to be slammed to the ground. Cops out here are punks as it is and our front bumper has to be such and so from the ground. I dont think that is the cheap way.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 03TL_typeS
exactly I dont want to be slammed to the ground. Cops out here are punks as it is and our front bumper has to be such and so from the ground. I dont think that is the cheap way.
..CHP doesn't measure how far your front bumper is from the ground. They measure the distance from the top of your front wheel well to the ground.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:21 AM
III
prototype

back to the offset question, yeah those specs will work, but now you'll defs need some fenderwork to the rears.

as for the springs vs. coilovers thing, thas been gone over many-a-times, there's no right or wrong. cheaper, yes. for me, no spring is low enough for my liking, so i prefer coilovers outta the two. but everyones gonna have their reasons and likes, etc...
Old 02-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by `ill*tl
..CHP doesn't measure how far your front bumper is from the ground. They measure the distance from the top of your front wheel well to the ground.

When I had my civic Elk Grove PD measured my front bumper to the ground.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:03 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
The only advantage they have is you are able to adjust the height. And honestly, how many times do you do that considering its a pain to do, and every time you do you should get an alignment? You can get every bit as good or better from a good adjustable shock like the Koni Yellow and a spring like H&R or Eibach

Though i do wish H&R had the H&R PCS Damper Adjustable Coil Over for our car
idk man... you can litterally adjust your entire cars height 3-4 inches up or down in like 20 minutes... not really a pain at all... jack one side up at a time and just screw up or down... no tire removal is even needed

its a big plus to be able to switch between almost stock and slammed.

aside from having to take the suspension apart if you even dont like your springs,
Old 02-02-2009, 01:20 AM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
idk man... you can litterally adjust your entire cars height 3-4 inches up or down in like 20 minutes... not really a pain at all... jack one side up at a time and just screw up or down... no tire removal is even needed

aside from having to take the suspension apart if you even dont like your springs,

of course thatz the nice part about it but when u have to keep taking it back for an alignment so u dont wastes ur tires thatz where the problemo comes in.....
Old 02-02-2009, 07:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockstar21

Its not that easy to do and get all 4 corners level that fast. Ive had them before. Once set you dont mess with them that often. Not to mention every time you play with them (especially the amount of movement you described) NEEDS and alignment every time.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:40 AM
III
prototype

^
if you dont wanna kill your wallet on tires, yeah it NEEDS it everytime. think of all the guys on air, tires get killed a lot quicker. theres really no sense in getting alignment, since its always changing. again, its all about personal preference. and with Tein coils, it IS rather simple to dial in the height to a setting you desire... no wheel removal required. maybe not 20min for me, but its surely not a forever-affair either. agreed though, once set, i never mess with em again. lol its always set to the lowest though, and i have no need to adjust the height ever.

Last edited by III; 02-02-2009 at 08:42 AM.