Violent Shaking and Popping Noises

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Peach Tea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Violent Shaking and Popping Noises

Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone could offer any insight as to what may be wrong with my car. It all started yesterday when I was on my way back to Virginia from Florida. All was fine on the drive to Florida, but on the way home I ran into some problems with my car. I drive a 2000 TL with about 92K miles and before my trip I changed the oil, replaced the spark plugs, changed the engine coolant, changed brake pads, and some other stuff. Anyway, about 300 miles from home yesterday my car started shaking while accelerating. It felt sort of like the wheel wasn't on tight or something, so I stopped to make sure all was okay and visually nothing seemed out of the ordinary. The shaking felt like it was coming from the driver side front or the engine. Luckily I made it home safely but I noticed at lower speeds (less than 20) there is a loud popping sound coming from my driver side front wheel well. I'm going to take the wheel off now and see if anything looks fishy, but if anyone has had this problem before or has any idea as to what it may be, please share! Thanks guys.
-Corey
Old 08-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
What spark plugs did you install?
Could be a bad coil or many things
Once you know all looks right near the wheels/axles then take it to any parts store and they will pull the codes for you for free
Come back with those and we can fix you up
Old 08-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Is the motor running smooth or is it something mechanical? Any check engine light?
If not
Check your CV joints.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:57 PM
BANNED

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Check the entire front suspension, before even removing the wheel jack it up and try to move the wheel with hands at 3 and 9 oclock and then again at 6 and 12 oclock, this will check tie rod ends and ball joints. If nothing then lay down, grab the inboard cv joint outer shell and try to turn the tire, there should be little to no slop, if there is then new cv joint/shaft. Also of course check for broken CV boots. Next whith the wheel still on, put the car in neutral and spin the wheels by hand, listen for noises, if noise heard, bad bearing probably. The slowly turn each whell and see if you feel like a sharp grabbing, this would also probably be a bad bearing.

Have you ever curbed the car hard, or hit a deep pothole hard lately?
Old 08-17-2007, 03:13 PM
Peach Tea

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
What spark plugs did you install?
Could be a bad coil or many things
Once you know all looks right near the wheels/axles then take it to any parts store and they will pull the codes for you for free
Come back with those and we can fix you up
I used NGK Iridium IX. I hadn't thought of taking it to an auto parts store, if I can't figure it out I'll go ahead and do that.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Is the motor running smooth or is it something mechanical? Any check engine light?
If not
Check your CV joints.
I can't really tell if the motor is running smooth. The vibrations make it seem like it's having a hard time. There is no check engine light and I remember a while ago one of my CV boots leaking grease, so it's possible that its cracked. That's probably what it is.

Originally Posted by NVA-AV6
Check the entire front suspension, before even removing the wheel jack it up and try to move the wheel with hands at 3 and 9 oclock and then again at 6 and 12 oclock, this will check tie rod ends and ball joints. If nothing then lay down, grab the inboard cv joint outer shell and try to turn the tire, there should be little to no slop, if there is then new cv joint/shaft. Also of course check for broken CV boots. Next whith the wheel still on, put the car in neutral and spin the wheels by hand, listen for noises, if noise heard, bad bearing probably. The slowly turn each whell and see if you feel like a sharp grabbing, this would also probably be a bad bearing.

Have you ever curbed the car hard, or hit a deep pothole hard lately?
I unintentionally hit huge pot holes almost on a daily basis; Virginia roads suck! Anyway, I'm going to try what you mentioned.

Thanks everyone for your input! It's greatly appreciated!
Old 08-17-2007, 03:19 PM
BANNED

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by badazzTL
I used NGK Iridium IX. I hadn't thought of taking it to an auto parts store, if I can't figure it out I'll go ahead and do that.

I can't really tell if the motor is running smooth. The vibrations make it seem like it's having a hard time. There is no check engine light and I remember a while ago one of my CV boots leaking grease, so it's possible that its cracked. That's probably what it is.

I unintentionally hit huge pot holes almost on a daily basis; Virginia roads suck! Anyway, I'm going to try what you mentioned.

Thanks everyone for your input! It's greatly appreciated!
Too bad you are so far away, I am up in the DC area....
Old 08-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Team Owner

The fact you know a cv boot is cracked means that its been a while so grease went out and dirt came in- you took a long trip and what little was left of the cv grease melted away and invited in every bit of dirt in the area- result- grinding to a halt soon after

CV is easy- replace the whole axle- recent word on here was NAPA carried NEW not rebuilt units for good price

Irid are the right plug
If you get multiple misfire codes and they say it needs 3 coils- laugh and buy 1 coil
Old 08-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Peach Tea

Thanks for all the help guys!!
Old 08-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Team Owner

Did you fix it? dont leave us in suspense