Tranny Failure Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 05:45 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know what the tranny cost would be if the car is out of warranty? We are at 127k and its slipping between 2nd and 3rd when cold.

What would you guys go to if not another TL just out of curiousity?

TIA
k.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Banned

^^ id say 2500+ from the dealer....

can always go to a junk yard, find one wit low clicks and pop it in..
Old 03-27-2006, 08:16 AM
UB6IB9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
would the 99 tranny fit a 2k+ TL?
Old 03-27-2006, 08:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by trance957
The dealer claim the tranny they installing now are "new and
improved"
Well if you took the time to read any of the threads here they are. They have updated some internal parts

Originally Posted by kobayashi
Anyone know what the tranny cost would be if the car is out of warranty? We are at 127k and its slipping between 2nd and 3rd when cold.

What would you guys go to if not another TL just out of curiousity?

TIA
k.
Your looking at 4500+ from a dealer. You may want to start talking to Acura Client Services to see if they can work a deal out for you.

Originally Posted by 1st timer
would the 99 tranny fit a 2k+ TL?
Sure would fit, BUT you would run into control issues as the computers arent the same and wouldnt work.
Also why would you want to? the 5 speed has better gearing, and the 4 isnt a safe bet from failing as many have been failing lately
Old 03-29-2006, 05:45 AM
6th Gear

My 03 TL-S tranny totally died on the way to work about 6 weeks ago. The local Acura dealer replaced it, but after I got it back I kept hearing some noises that I determined had to be from inside the tranny. I took it back in and after about two hours, they determined that was the case and now it's in the shop being replaced AGAIN. The local dealer has been pretty decent about it, giving me a loaner each time, but now I'm definitely less than happy with my TL-S with only 32,000 miles on it. I'll be getting it back Friday or Monday and I'm seriously thinking about seeing what kind of a deal the dealer will give me on trading in for an 06 TL. Anybody got any ideas or input or info on how to best handle this?
Old 04-04-2006, 05:58 PM
2nd Gear

2002 TL Tranny went kaaput

My 2002 TL with 55K miles (Purchased 9/1/01) Tranny just went out. Thank God Honda/Acura extended warrenty.

Dealer is ordering a Tranny. Should be in by Thursday. Got a nice 2006 Gold TL Loaner in the mean time.

I flipped when I saw the thread above that said a new tranny was $4,500. That was before I found out about the extended warrenty.

My Tranny had the recall mod. last year. I'm surprised it still died after the mod.

Problem started with a slight hesitation when accelerating. Then it started getting stuck in 2nd gear, then slamming in to 3rd on accecleration.

I'm so thankful Honda did the right thing for us.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Lets see Ive read about all 23 pages of this thread and many have spoken on slipping or slamming out of reverse....mine has recenlty started downshifting for only a split second and then back to normal...what do you guys think? Is the end near?
Old 04-05-2006, 04:16 PM
Senior Moderator

what do you mean downshifting? like in any gear it will just down shift to the next? or are you talking about the torque converter just unlocking momentarily?
Old 04-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Instructor

I dont know maybe a couple days a week while I am accelerating steadily, not flooring it, it seems like it drops a gear but what you said about the torque converter sticking could be it also. I just figure its my tanny going out since they are known for that problem. But I cant bring it to the dealer becuase it doesnt do it all the time. I have 56,000 miles and its under extendeed warranty until 100,000 miles. What do you think are my options? There are no lights coming on or anything else to indicate a problem.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Well it all depends on if the tranny is just in to low of a gear rpm wise and is unlocking the torque converter or not. Without actually being in the car all we can do is guess by your example given. You could bring it to the dealer and see what they say? Most of the bad trannie symptoms arent what your describing, they are usually slipping between shifts (slipping clutch-which is whats happening, the clutch is slipping)
Old 04-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Instructor

well I guess thats a good thing, but while cruising I know a car is not suppose to downshift suddenly, I figured out if I let go of the gas and press it down again it goes back to normal... so wierd? Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 04-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Well like i said, if your concerned about it bring it to the dealer
Old 04-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Instructor

i will if it gets worse..haha!
Old 04-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

My '99 TL is doing some funny things lately. I can " feel " it shifting , it's kind of rough ( didn't happen' before ). I'm driving without the pleasure of driving a TL anymore. The dealer said it's slipping ( not big time ' I'll get at least 20 K out of it ) but it's not fun to drive anymore. Problem is the car has 119 000 miles on it and I'm the second owner. I know the original owner , the car looks and works great otherwise.
I've heard stories on this forum about Acura Corporate goodwilling some owners with way over 100K. I called ,they told me life sucks , you're a second owner . If I write to them , what should I say ? Do I have a fighting chance ? How should I approach this ? To get it replaced and pay for work only ?
Anybody knows an e-mail address for Corporate ?
Thanks , guys !
Old 04-06-2006, 08:55 PM
3rd Gear

2001 CL-S 107000 miles. Took it too the shop for its 3rd replacement on Monday. Original tranny went at 68,000. 100% paid for buy acura. 2nd tranny just went at 107k. I called acura hdqtrs and the local dealership. Said if its over 100,000 miles we can't offer any help,sorry. Well thanks to reading over 23 pages of posts, YOU ALL REALLY HELPED ME NEGOTIATE. The service manager called me and yep, its the Trans. Also, you have not had the care serviced in a while. NO SH*T!! He said I can order a remanufactuered one today for $2,800, plus labor. Like I was going to jump all over that. What a deal! I basically told him to, go f hisself and go talk to his general manager. I explained all of the the problems with these trans and the numeroues replacements, with no cure. I then called the Acura Hotline. Nicki said, I basically have two options. One they pay for it 100%, and you get the out the door warranty.(They must really have alot of faith in these Trans) Out the door warranty is no warranty. Or I pay the labor and get a 3yr/36k mile warranty. Labor is $900. Does that sound high. How long does it take to replace a trans. Should I bitch over the $900. I was going too, but I'm going to treat it just like a warranty. Should I have anything else replaced when the trans is pulled. Also, the warranty HAS NOT been extended over 100k. Anything over 100k in miles is a "case by case" instance. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Senior Moderator

I wouldnt complain over 900 bucks install on a 4500 tranny (normal cost) Plus they are offering you a 3/36k warranty? wow, i was only offered a 12/12k
Old 04-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey , Blackout04. What exactly did you say to Corporate ? And what is the Acura Hotline Phone no ? I would take the 900 deal in a heartbeat. 36K warranty is not that bad. I'd say you're lucky.
Let me know how I can pull the same deal off...
Old 04-08-2006, 12:03 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Bogdan TL
Hey , Blackout04. What exactly did you say to Corporate ? And what is the Acura Hotline Phone no ? I would take the 900 deal in a heartbeat. 36K warranty is not that bad. I'd say you're lucky.
Let me know how I can pull the same deal off...
ACURA HOTLINE # 800-382-2238 EXT.115092 -Nicki
You have to be nice at first and explain your story. THEN tell them everything you read on the 23 pages, on this forum. They will play dumb, but YOU have to know what your talking about. Tell them that this is an on going problem and a 100% fix has not happened. They have come up with a band aid solution, that just keeps bleeding. Your then going to have to call the Acura dealer, and deal with the service people too. He then has to talk with the general manager. The general manager & service guy, then talk with Acrua HDqtrs. I told them to either pay for it entirely or I would pay labor. They acted like, they had never heard of this deal before. I think they were very suprised by my knowledge of all the failed trans that just keep failing. Basically, read all 23 pages of this forum. Copy and paste to a word document, all of the posts that have some good info and can relate to your problem. Have that close to you while on the phone or in person at the dealership. Use it as a tool to negotiate and read the posts to the Acura people. GOOD LUCK! I'm still waiting on my car. I'll keep ya posted.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:36 PM
1st Gear

noob

Hi ther
I just discovered this thread yesterday, I was planning to buy a used TL but now i am not so sure...is the 1999 transmission more reliable than the 2000+ models? I am planning to buy something with 65-75K miles, is it advisable to buy the 1999 model?please suggest alternatives if the transmission problems exists in all models..thanks!
Old 04-12-2006, 02:06 PM
1st Gear

Wish I had seen this thread 3 weeks ago. we bought a 2001 TL with around 56,000 miles on it. Went for a road trip to spokane, wa from sacramento,ca and lost the tranny when we got there.
The Acura dealer in spokane was very helpfull. After not being able to get us a rental car so we could get home for work, they stepped up and gave us a 2006 TL with 400 miles on the odometer to drive home. They told us that there service loaners are not allowed to leave the state, but we could take it as long as we had it back by thursday.(we left spokane on monday).
Now we get to leave tonight (wed) get there in the morning and trade cars (thurs) and get home in time for my brothers wedding on friday.
Ours started to slip pulling hills then stopped going into 3rd gear. it also would shudder going into 2nd every now and then. Hopefuly the next transmission will last for awhile.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by bill and anna
Wish I had seen this thread 3 weeks ago. we bought a 2001 TL with around 56,000 miles on it. Went for a road trip to spokane, wa from sacramento,ca and lost the tranny when we got there.
The Acura dealer in spokane was very helpfull. After not being able to get us a rental car so we could get home for work, they stepped up and gave us a 2006 TL with 400 miles on the odometer to drive home. They told us that there service loaners are not allowed to leave the state, but we could take it as long as we had it back by thursday.(we left spokane on monday).
Now we get to leave tonight (wed) get there in the morning and trade cars (thurs) and get home in time for my brothers wedding on friday.
Ours started to slip pulling hills then stopped going into 3rd gear. it also would shudder going into 2nd every now and then. Hopefuly the next transmission will last for awhile.
Bummer, but atleast you had a great dealer
Old 04-13-2006, 01:53 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Well if you took the time to read any of the threads here they are. They have updated some internal parts

Your looking at 4500+ from a dealer. You may want to start talking to Acura Client Services to see if they can work a deal out for you.

Sure would fit, BUT you would run into control issues as the computers arent the same and wouldnt work.
Also why would you want to? the 5 speed has better gearing, and the 4 isnt a safe bet from failing as many have been failing lately
Have you heard of Acura giving an owner of a TL that has experienced tranny problems any kind of a deal on buying a new TL to replace the jinxed one? I'm on my 3rd tranny on my 03 Type S with 32,000 miles and I still want a TL, but my other half has fallen out of love with the TL. I've talked with several Acural dealers and none of them are willing to give me much of a deal. They all want to give me around $18M for a car that I paid over $30M for 2 1/2 years and 32,000 miles ago. Any suggestions? Hang on to my 03 and try to convince myself I'm not going to have problems? Bite the loss of buying a new car and trade in at a painful loss? Tell Acura to find another lover and go visit Lexus and Infiniti dealerships? What'cha think?
Old 04-13-2006, 02:21 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by caldon
They all want to give me around $18M for a car that I paid over $30M for 2 1/2 years and 32,000 miles ago.?
You paid $30 Million for a TL-S?

I think you should hang on to it. I know the problems are frustrating but it should have warranty left. Keep it for a while longer.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Senior Moderator

when the problems first came about they were giving deals on buying back the car, but not anymore. all you can do is possibly talk to your dealer on a car you would like to purchase and then contact acura client services and see if you can work something out with them
Old 04-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Advanced

I say you are lucky. Have you tried AAMCO. I think you will be able to get it "fixed" for ~1,600 plus another 1,000 for a warranty. At least that is what I have read from other threads.

Which dealer did you go to in MD?

Originally Posted by blackout04
ACURA HOTLINE # 800-382-2238 EXT.115092 -Nicki
You have to be nice at first and explain your story. THEN tell them everything you read on the 23 pages, on this forum. They will play dumb, but YOU have to know what your talking about. Tell them that this is an on going problem and a 100% fix has not happened. They have come up with a band aid solution, that just keeps bleeding. Your then going to have to call the Acura dealer, and deal with the service people too. He then has to talk with the general manager. The general manager & service guy, then talk with Acrua HDqtrs. I told them to either pay for it entirely or I would pay labor. They acted like, they had never heard of this deal before. I think they were very suprised by my knowledge of all the failed trans that just keep failing. Basically, read all 23 pages of this forum. Copy and paste to a word document, all of the posts that have some good info and can relate to your problem. Have that close to you while on the phone or in person at the dealership. Use it as a tool to negotiate and read the posts to the Acura people. GOOD LUCK! I'm still waiting on my car. I'll keep ya posted.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:06 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
You paid $30 Million for a TL-S?

I think you should hang on to it. I know the problems are frustrating but it should have warranty left. Keep it for a while longer.
M is the Roman numeral for 1,000. But thanks for the input, I'm a bit frustrated and don't feel quite the same about my TL as I used to. I've also got a problem (wiring short I've heard from other Honda Odyssey and TL owners) that makes my stereo not function quite right when I use the control buttons in the steering wheel.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:34 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

There is a TSB on the steering wheel volume control issue, and it should be a simple fix under warranty.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:40 AM
2nd Gear

99 tranny probs - out of warranty?

I purchased my second 99 TL in Dec with 56000 miles. At puchase, I was made aware of the replaced transmission in april 05. I was also well aware of the 7 yrs/100,000 miles warranty which was over because the selling date of the car was oct 98. The previous owner had always had car serviced at dealer and I have all the records, including the replacement of the tranny. I did assume that the replaced tranny was also warrrantied for 1 yr/12,000 miles. Because it was my second 99 TL and i was familar with this thread, I thought that was the deal. The car had recently been making a noise and, a whistling or whining that was getting louder. Some very slight slippage once or twice from 2 to 3rd. My sons friend is also a mechanic at the local Acura dealer and he said it was the tranny. I took it up to be evaluated on 4/10/06, with the date on my receipt from last year being 4/13.
Well, the service guy told me i was 6 days out of warranty because the date they go by was the date the car was evaluated, not the date the car was delivered after the transmission was replaced. I didnt get off to a good start with him because that was kinda ridiculous to me. then the 12,000mi/1yr warranty wasnt transferable. So i questioned both of those statements, and didnt get anywhere, so i asked for the service manager. He was worse, telling me pretty much the same thing, plus the fact that it was "goodwill" from acura to even increase the normal 50,000 mile warranty for the transmissions to 100,000. I was not pleasant and questioned the goodwill statement when these transmissions had a high failure rate. i then just got acura customer service number and called them when i got home. They were nice and told me there wasnt a 1yr/12,000 mile warranty its only the 7yr/100,000. they also told me to have the car evaluated and then contact them for an evaluation. there is only 60,000 miles on this very well kept car. i lost yesterday talking to the dealer because of work issues, but my son did talk to the service manager and it is the tranny. i called acura customer service and they are closed till monday.. any suggestions?
Old 04-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Thats bs. it should be from the date the new one was installed. And i would aslo say they are a horrible dealer if they couldnt overlook a day or 2

I would say all you can really do is wait to contact acura client services.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear

ok.. dealer got back to me and said acura client services would pay for transmission and I would only pay labor. I asked about warranty for that and they told me 1 yr/12000.I questioned that and they said thats what they knew and I should check with acura client services. isnt it longer if you pay labor..

they also want 1200 for labor and 150.00 for the broken engine mount...i may call another dealer about those labor charges...
Old 04-14-2006, 02:08 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

I wouldn't pay that. I absolutely would not pay that. This type of story is the type that makes me want to dump my TL off for another trouble-free Camry.

You are 3 days over the 1/12k warranty and they want you to pay for Acura's fcuk up? The thought just infuriates me!
Old 04-15-2006, 02:13 AM
Kinda misses his Civic

I've had my 03 TL-S for 6 days now...52,000 miles...not sure if it has the original, 2nd, or 3rd tranny (or 4th or 5th?). My question is if (when?) my tranny goes, am I covered by that 7 yr/100K mi warranty even though I bought it used?

I've fallen in love with the car but I wish I'd known about this issue prior to buying it. I was planning on driving to Seattle from Salt Lake in August but now I think I'll just fly or get a rental.

Can someone please help me with the answer? I got through the first 8 or 9 pages of this thread before giving up.

Thanks
Old 04-15-2006, 09:32 AM
7th Gear

03 TLSNavi - Tranny Cooked!

03 TLSNavi w/ 56k miles. Took on biz trip to Toronto area from Akron,OH. Once in Toronto, noticed that tranny was starting to slip - big time. Called Park Acura in Akron, was told cant do anything since I'm in Canada. Parked car at hotel and got a rental car for the week. Started drive home on Thurs afternoon, made it to Geneva, OH on I90 where construction starts. I let of the gas to go in construction zone and car downshifted hard into 2nd gear, wouldn't come out. Had to drive another 5-6 miles in 2nd gear running about 4500 rpms to get to next exit. Then was told by Acura Roadside "Sorry, you're out of warranty!".. However, was able to use my AAA - but had to pay $3/mi for an 80 mile tow back to Akron dealer! Bottom line - I want Acura to pay for the rental car cost I incurred in YYZ and the $240 tow bill I had to pay!
Regarding the dealers paying for these transmissions - It would be EXTREMELY beneficial to us all to have copies of the work orders and service receipts from everyone's tranny replacement. If we had this type of documented proof of dealers handling this repair at their own expense - it would make it easier for us all to leverage against our own dealers. Is there a way to attach scanned copies of work orders and service receipts to your postings here on this site?
Old 04-15-2006, 12:41 PM
4th Gear

I dont know what to think of this...

I am from Canada. I bought my Acura 3.2 TL type S A-spec Automatic exactly three years ago this month. I have noticed that some heat not burning heat around the central compartment for a long time a year after I bought my car, I mentioned it to the dealer and they told me it was completely NORMAL. So I have not paid any attention to it since. A few months ago I started hearing rumbling noise on and off while I am driving the car, first I through it was the wind but the noise continue even it is not windy day, and the noise is getting louder and louder and more frequent and now I start worring that the car will blow-up or un-safe to drive. I have 78000Km on the clock. My car has been serviced by the Acura dealer and I am not awared any transimission recall from Honda or Acura. However the car seems "un-steady" like shaken while changing gears. Please tell me if I have the tranny problem on my car. I have booked an appointment with my local Acura dealer to check the problem Monday. The last four digit of the vin 5xxx so it was not the first 1000 produced.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Sowi Roja u tiga now

im now scared
i heard aobut the tranny issues here but after reading all of this im kinda in a catch22 i dont kno if i should just keep my car as it is with an occasional hard shift or risk gettin a new tranny that will fail about every 15k. i dont even want to mod it now.

will you have to come out of pocket for anything if ur still under warranty
Old 04-17-2006, 04:56 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

No out of pocket expense if you are still under the 7/100 warranty.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Kinda misses his Civic

Originally Posted by skwerm
I've had my 03 TL-S for 6 days now...52,000 miles...not sure if it has the original, 2nd, or 3rd tranny (or 4th or 5th?). My question is if (when?) my tranny goes, am I covered by that 7 yr/100K mi warranty even though I bought it used?

Can someone please help me with the answer? I got through the first 8 or 9 pages of this thread before giving up.

Thanks
anyone?

thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 05:01 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

As I stated above, there is no charge to you if your car is under the 7/100k warranty - no matter if you're the original or 45415th owner. However, some later build 2003s are not covered and to check you need to log into ownerlink over at Honda's site and find out.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:16 AM
2nd Gear

Wow!!!All along I thought I was the only one suffering with tranny problems. I wanted to get your guys opinion about whether my transmission is completely toast or is it still fixable. Well bad news for me I already have 136K miles and is just now showing signs of failure I am actually suprised compare to other people tranny going bad at 22K 50 or lesser than what I have. I nearly spent about $55K modifying this car so I dont want to get rid of it I purchased a bodykit for it waiting to be installed and did $800 custom made exhaust and alot more. Last night I was driving home I was in the regular automatic mode doing 65 mph suddenly I almost hit my face at the steering wheel due to a serious jerked of the car and when I look at the speedometer it was at 35 mph so I pulled over at the side of road and parked wondering what the hell just happened. When I finally decided that I have no clue what cause it I started driving again and now even bigger problem when I tried to accelerate hard it felt like the car was in neutral mode because I wasnt going anywhere it took about 2 minutes just to get to 20 mph. So finally got home took me about 3 hours to get home. So i took it to my mechanic and we did a transmission flush because when he look at the fluid it was blacker than black. After the flush the car felt so damn strong I thought I was ready to fly I was using the SS mode I mean damn every damn gear was on point no lag, no jerk so I thought the transmission was fine just needed to change the fluid but after of 30 minutes of driving with the SS mode suddenly when I was in 5th gear and I was racing a G35 Sedan I quickly drop it to 3rd gear and the car just rev and rev and the car didnt even move a single bit and it started to jerk again so I switch it back to the normal mode and it still was jerking like how it was the night I was going home, so the question is my tranny totally gone or I have some hope by replacing the cable lines or the electronic shifting cilinods be good enough to be back to normal because when I went to my dealer they asking for $5200 parts and labor for new tranny with warranty. I asked myself is it worth spending that much money or can I go about it just replacing those pieces and be a lot cheaper $400 for all shifting cilinoids. If you were in my situation and you have spent nearly $55K modifying what are my options. If anybody can relate or give me some feedback I would gladly appreciate it because right now I am speechless I want to drive the car so bad but I cant, look at everyday modified from rims to suspension major exterior work and interior but cant drive the car I am stuck with a 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP runs okay but not nearly as fun as my 00TL.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:23 AM
2nd Gear

Well since the 2nd Generation TL have tranny problems makes me not even want to trade in my car for a TL-S , if I am going to deal with the same drama. So anybody have any prior knowledge what other maker could be considered with no weak tranny and can handle serious modification. Im considering modifying the new Lexus IS350 does anyone heard any bad things on Lexus cars.

Quick Reply: Tranny Failure Thread