Tranny Failure Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I have the same question... my tranny just got replaced today and my car has 98k on it... do i get any kind of warrenty on this new tranny? like 3year/ 36,000miles? or anything
Old 08-17-2006, 05:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by h22aDc2
Yeah, I have the same question... my tranny just got replaced today and my car has 98k on it... do i get any kind of warrenty on this new tranny? like 3year/ 36,000miles? or anything
you will have to ask the dealer. Most are 12k miles or 12 month. Some are lucky and are quoted and given 3 year 36k warranty
Old 08-18-2006, 12:12 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by h22aDc2
what year was yours ?
Old 08-19-2006, 10:52 PM
Burning Brakes

The Inevitable

Well I have a 2003 TL-S with 42000 miles, noticed a few weeks ago thats its stuggling to catch 3rd. wether Im shifting up or down. Theres hesitation when im on the highway and trying to downshift. When im in 2nd and shift up the dash tells me its in 3 but it'll keep high reving at 5000-6000rpm for a few secs then shift . I guess its time to call Acura and make an appointment
Old 08-21-2006, 11:46 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by iselfdevi
Since there seems to be a claim that the "updated" trans are now fixed. Is there any hard proof such as an article or legit posting for this claim to be backed up by proof?
This isn't hard proof to the contrary but here's some more circumstancial evidence from a reliable source.

When I went to pick up my '02 at the dealership following a wheel bearing replacement I walked around the back first and was able to talk with one of the mechanics. Very nice guy. Turns out he does all the tranny replacements. Says he can do them in his sleep. So, I asked him if it was his experience that the original tranny problems were fixed in the rebuilts and he said it certainly didn't seem that way since he has seen numerous ones return for seconds and thirds. He said he had one lock-up on him during a test drive, almost set off the air bag because he didn't have the belt on. He added that the inside word was that Honda had just decided to eat the problem lock, stock, and barrel until the cars eventually went off extended warrantee or faded out of existence. He also told me that he would deny he ever talked to me about the problem.

I like the car a lot and with two kids in college I'm forced to hold on to it for another several years at least. My strategy will be to make sure I need another unit before the extended tranny warrantee expires.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:30 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Quick Question

My question is Can a damaged air-box cause the TL to shift hard. The bottom and the top piece from my Air-box are damaged. When put on the Transmission computer it is stating that the throttle body position sensor is faulty. Is this due to the air-box or will i have to just replace that throttle body and sensor?
Old 08-22-2006, 01:10 AM
4th Gear

Thought I would put in my first post. I purchased a 2002 TL-S in July, I noticed a hesitation between 2nd and 3rd in D5 but in s/s it wasn't present. 500 miles later the transmission is slipping at multiple speeds and gears, D5 blinking, needed towed to dealer. 49,600 miles at the start 50100 now. Acura is replacing the tranny and loaned me a2006 tsx (nice car just needs more HP)

Will see how this turns out.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:38 AM
Pro

ok i got a question for all you guys. would the dealer still take care of my tranny even though im out of warranty because it was a recall? my car is salvage so im just asking just incase my tranny does go. by the way i have 110k miles and tranny is good. no slippage.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:34 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My guess is that you're out of luck with the combination of 110,000 miles and a salvage title. Either one of those by itself would probably kill any warranty service of the transmission.

I don't think the fact that there was a recall would make any difference.

Bob

Originally Posted by victorvu
ok i got a question for all you guys. would the dealer still take care of my tranny even though im out of warranty because it was a recall? my car is salvage so im just asking just incase my tranny does go. by the way i have 110k miles and tranny is good. no slippage.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:32 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Even if you had 10k miles, you'd be out of luck on getting your transmission replaced because you have a salvage title. That voids warranties, including the extended transmission one.

However, you are entitled to an oil jet kit by way of recall - but that won't fix your transmission.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:45 AM
Pro

well my car has 110 on it but the dash shows 79 haha. i swapped the dash when i registered it because it was only 70k on the pink slip.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:49 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Stealx
I have a 03 TL-S that falls after the VIN group, in which Acura says they fixed the problem.

I'm at 65k miles currently and find out the car is on its third transmission already. Once in 04, once in 05 and a week after that it came back and had another one put on. Now Acura wants me to pay $1200 for labor to replace it and they pay for the transmission. Obviously Acura never took care of the problem to begin with and should cover all 03's. I want to find all people with 03's that don't or didn't originally have the 7/100k on their cars and have had problems in the past.

Anybody else have an 03 that Acura didn't extend the warranty on and you had problems ?
Yes definitely! This is my 3rd Acura. I just traded my 96 TL with 206,000 miles on it for a beautiful black on black 03 TL with 74,000 miles on it. It's immaculate...except right after I got it I started noticing the reverse was taking a minute to engage and making a noise, and it's shifting funny around second and third gear, revving high and snapping. My D5, TCS, and engine lights all started blinking, and the only way I could get it to stop was to turn off the engine, and when I recranked it, the engine light stayed on, and still stays on. I took it to the Acura dealership and they said it had already had that oil jet installed, and my VIN is on the outside of the tranny replacements, so it wasn't their problem anymore. I called Acura corporate and they wouldn't help me either. The company I bought the car from said the warranty company they used would probably put in a used low mileage tranny, so I think we all know where that is going. A few more miles and the same problem again. What can I do? I'm at my wits end with this. I've read about the feb 05 trannies being good, but how can I go about getting one installed without having to pay for it, cause I can't afford that. Anyone else in our shoes willing to start a class action with me? I love the car, I just want it fixed. Help!
Old 08-29-2006, 11:17 PM
Advanced

Arrow tranny flush??

my check engine light and TSC light came on in my 01 tl so i got my friend that works at honda to read it for me and he said it was a tranny failure code. it was something like P808 or something like that but when i brought it up to acura they said that they wont fix it cause its sitting at 122k miles right now. acura said the only thing they can do is charge me for a new tranny but the car is driving fine. my question is that they suggested a tranny flush. should i or should i not do it? has anyone had a tranny flush and did it make any difference? any help will be appreciated
Old 08-30-2006, 08:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by innovation704
my check engine light and TSC light came on in my 01 tl so i got my friend that works at honda to read it for me and he said it was a tranny failure code. it was something like P808 or something like that but when i brought it up to acura they said that they wont fix it cause its sitting at 122k miles right now. acura said the only thing they can do is charge me for a new tranny but the car is driving fine. my question is that they suggested a tranny flush. should i or should i not do it? has anyone had a tranny flush and did it make any difference? any help will be appreciated
I believe Acura does not encourage tranny flushes; they do however encourage tranny drains and refills. Flushing is actually a cleaning where as draining just replaces old tired fluid.
Whatever the case, the damage is already done. A fluid change will most likely not save you from having to replace the tranny.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:18 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by RicosMix
Yes definitely! This is my 3rd Acura. I just traded my 96 TL with 206,000 miles on it for a beautiful black on black 03 TL with 74,000 miles on it. It's immaculate...except right after I got it I started noticing the reverse was taking a minute to engage and making a noise, and it's shifting funny around second and third gear, revving high and snapping. My D5, TCS, and engine lights all started blinking, and the only way I could get it to stop was to turn off the engine, and when I recranked it, the engine light stayed on, and still stays on. I took it to the Acura dealership and they said it had already had that oil jet installed, and my VIN is on the outside of the tranny replacements, so it wasn't their problem anymore. I called Acura corporate and they wouldn't help me either. The company I bought the car from said the warranty company they used would probably put in a used low mileage tranny, so I think we all know where that is going. A few more miles and the same problem again. What can I do? I'm at my wits end with this. I've read about the feb 05 trannies being good, but how can I go about getting one installed without having to pay for it, cause I can't afford that. Anyone else in our shoes willing to start a class action with me? I love the car, I just want it fixed. Help!
Just an update:
I've been in a rental for over a week now and the company I bought the car from has taken it to three different transmission shops, and not one of them want to touch that BS warranty, which is supposed to be 90 days/3,000 miles bumper to bumper, not to mention that after reading the warranty papers, they were only gonna give me the rental for the time it takes to fix the tranny. All three tranny companies have called me and not wanted to honor that warranty(that mind you, I paid for). Yesterday I took matters into my own hands, called Northpark Acura and begged the guy to please do what he could do. I picked it up from the tranny shop, took it to Northpark Acura, and yesterday afternoon he called me back saying that they would replace it with a brand new one, but they wanted me to participate, meaning pay $200 + $85 diagnostic fee = $285, and they are going to warranty it for 3 years, and he said he would give me a loaner, but they were all out, so that will put my rental at almost 2 weeks. The company I bought the car from is either gonna have to pay the $285 + rental, or the $285 + rental + attorney fees, lol! Anyway, I'm getting a new tranny! And I wouldn't have known what to do if it weren't for finding and reading in this forum. Thanks!!!

PS - I googled "Acura Transmission Problems" and it brought me straight here!
Old 08-30-2006, 08:41 AM
NiGhT rIdEr

Originally Posted by innovation704
if ur tranny is going, a flush isnt gunna fix it.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:08 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RicosMix
The company I bought the car from said the warranty company they used would probably put in a used low mileage tranny, so I think we all know where that is going. A few more miles and the same problem again. What can I do? I'm at my wits end with this. I've read about the feb 05 trannies being good, but how can I go about getting one installed without having to pay for it, cause I can't afford that.
I would first see if the warranty company would spring for the latest version of the transmission. If not, maybe they would agree to let you pay the additional cost to get the latest transmission. Hopefully the delta cost would be reasonable.

Bob
Old 09-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Advanced

I am welcoming myself to the club: 88,014 miles and the transmission was beginning to shutter between 2nd and 3rd gear when cold. Additionally, I heard some whinning noise under the hood when the alternator was under a heavy load. They informed me the the alternator's ball bearing was going bad--$400 replacement. Lucky for me, I bought the 100k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Intermediate

hey guys just wanted to say great thread with great information. (well not a great thread, but you know)

Anyways just wanted to let everyone know that I am in the market for a new tl 99-02 and am looking for one with a little higher mileage because of cheaper price. I called my local acura dealer and they said you can buy a warranty. He said even if you didn't buy the car from his dealership I could still buy a warranty through National Warranty though not Acura he said they are good and would honor it. He also said he would recommend it because of the tranny problems.

Not sure if this is common knowledge, (I'm noob) but people who are thinking about buying or just bought might want to look into it. He also said if you have the vin you can call and check the information on the car such as the extended warranty etc.

Hopefully will have my new TL soon.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Papa_Sean
Well I have a 2003 TL-S with 42000 miles, noticed a few weeks ago thats its stuggling to catch 3rd. wether Im shifting up or down. Theres hesitation when im on the highway and trying to downshift. When im in 2nd and shift up the dash tells me its in 3 but it'll keep high reving at 5000-6000rpm for a few secs then shift . I guess its time to call Acura and make an appointment
*UPDATE*
Well it finally happened. I was on the Throgs Neck Bridge with my 3yr old Nephew in the car. Leaving the toll booth I accelerated 1-2-3-3-3-3 lol. Realizing that third was once again having its issues I quickly changed to 5th (I dont know if this would have actually benefited me but the only thought on my mind was to get out of 3rd). Midway thru the bridge while cruising in the left lane the RPMs shoot up and the wheels lock up! I quickly put my hazards on and luckily the Ford F-150 Behind me realized what was going on and quickly swerved into the middle lane (Thankfully). I drop it down to 2rd and idled my way off the bridge onto the shoulder and shut the car off. I turned it back on about 2min later and the check engine, VSA and Caution lights were all on. 2nd gear still worked, so I got off at the next exit and cruised at about 25 mph all the way home. I pulled up to my house but of course Reverse didnt work either. My Cousin and I tried to push the car into a parking space but since I had to hold onto the steering wheel and hover over the brake I wasnt much help. Luckily my neighbor's boyfriend saw our struggle and helped us push the car into a safe spot. This really sucks cuz I have an appointment with Acura to look at my tranny this Wed. Now I will have to get it towed.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Drifting

Wow. I've been on the Throgs Neck Bridge many times and I can't imagine having the wheels lock up while crossing it. You are so lucky that the you didn't get in accident!

Good luck with the replacement. Hopefully that latest variant will last a lot longer!

Bob

*UPDATE*
Well it finally happened. I was on the Throgs Neck Bridge with my 3yr old Nephew in the car. Leaving the toll booth I accelerated 1-2-3-3-3-3 lol. Realizing that third was once again having its issues I quickly changed to 5th (I dont know if this would have actually benefited me but the only thought on my mind was to get out of 3rd). Midway thru the bridge while cruising in the left lane the RPMs shoot up and the wheels lock up! I quickly put my hazards on and luckily the Ford F-150 Behind me realized what was going on and quickly swerved into the middle lane (Thankfully). I drop it down to 2rd and idled my way off the bridge onto the shoulder and shut the car off. I turned it back on about 2min later and the check engine, VSA and Caution lights were all on. 2nd gear still worked, so I got off at the next exit and cruised at about 25 mph all the way home. I pulled up to my house but of course Reverse didnt work either. My Cousin and I tried to push the car into a parking space but since I had to hold onto the steering wheel and hover over the brake I wasnt much help. Luckily my neighbor's boyfriend saw our struggle and helped us push the car into a safe spot. This really sucks cuz I have an appointment with Acura to look at my tranny this Wed. Now I will have to get it towed.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:21 AM
4th Gear

220K miles on a 2000 3.2 TL

I never use the manual mode of the 5 speed transmission -- still running okay -- should I worry about a transmission failure? I didn't even know how to use the shifting transmission -- I always shift to the 5 and drive.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob_F
Wow. I've been on the Throgs Neck Bridge many times and I can't imagine having the wheels lock up while crossing it. You are so lucky that the you didn't get in accident!

Good luck with the replacement. Hopefully that latest variant will last a lot longer!

Bob
Thanks. My car was towed this morning, Acura paid for it. They say their giving me a "Brand New" Transmission, their paying for that too, and they let me borrow an 06 TSX until my car is fixed Yea the tranny's on this car suck but so far the customer service has been outstanding. The only money coming out of my pocket is for gas. As far as my situation on the bridge, it could've been alot worse, but thank GOD it wasnt. So for now, im happy
Old 09-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vmdigioia
I never use the manual mode of the 5 speed transmission -- still running okay -- should I worry about a transmission failure? I didn't even know how to use the shifting transmission -- I always shift to the 5 and drive.

Doesnt matter, The trannies in these cars are designed with a "Flaw." Its not definite but a VERY likely possibility. Sorry to say, it maybe a matter of time
Old 09-12-2006, 11:32 AM
8th Gear

Doesnt matter, The trannies in these cars are designed with a "Flaw." Its not definite but a VERY likely possibility. Sorry to say, it maybe a matter of time
We need to build a case against Acura... I'm serious. This flaw is not a possibility, its for sure. How can you explain my 03 TL-S with 60k miles being on its 4th transmission, when the "fix" was applied during the 2nd transmission ? I even have a feeling this fourth transmission is about to go.

We seriously need to all come together and build a case against Acura. I've read posts from current and ex-Acura techs that admit these replacement transmissions will not fix the problem. As some of the TL's are lucky and never need trans replacements, they hope the new transmissions last till the warranty period expires. All Acura is doing with our trans replacements is holding out till our warranties expire... then we have have cars that lose a huge chunk of their value.

Imagine my situation an 03 TL-S, with 60k miles, OUTSIDE of the VIN range that Acura extended the warranty and on the fourth transmission, I love how they won't admit I shouldn't have been included in the extended warranty. So techincally the car has no warranty on its transmission, and its on its fourth... now try selling the car

Class action time
Old 09-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Intermediate

You're right and I would be the first to jump on the bandwagon BUT we would need an attorney(s) that would take the case and follow it through.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:13 PM
DECEPTICON

Well...it's official...brought my '03 TL-S in yesterday morning and just got the call - tranny needs replacing; fully covered by ACURA ....the original lasted almost 85k miles...they gave me an anthracite '06 TL as a loaner....it seems to rev harder than my '03, but the top-end doesn't seem as strong....I also can't seem to hear the V-TEC engage....anyways...let's hope this one lasts!!!!!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Did you read he had 220k on his? I wouldnt be worried at all!!! Matter of time sure, with that many miles im sure it is. 220k is alot for any tranny

Originally Posted by Stealx
We need to build a case against Acura... I'm serious. This flaw is not a possibility, its for sure. How can you explain my 03 TL-S with 60k miles being on its 4th transmission, when the "fix" was applied during the 2nd transmission ? I even have a feeling this fourth transmission is about to go.
When were your trannies replaced. The earlier ones they thought were fixes but they wernt. Only as of late (feb 05) does it look like they may have fixed them
Old 09-13-2006, 12:28 AM
Pro

does anyone have the website where we can check our vin to see if Acura would cover for it?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Did you read he had 220k on his? I wouldnt be worried at all!!! Matter of time sure, with that many miles im sure it is. 220k is alot for any tranny
lol you have a point

When were your trannies replaced. The earlier ones they thought were fixes but they wernt. Only as of late (feb 05) does it look like they may have fixed them
Mine was replaced last week, hopefully the problem is fixed
Old 09-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Senior Moderator

does anyone have the website where we can check our vin to see if Acura would cover for it?
go to acuras website and look for owners link. register there.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:56 PM
8th Gear

03, 04, two in mid 05, and 06
Old 09-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Pro

2000 TL just joined the infamous transmission club at 95,000 km (60,000 miles). It happened while I was driving at 100km/h (62mph) along a twisty mountain highway. The tranmission slipped a little at first then started dropping gears all the way from 4/5 down to 2nd causing the front tires to chirp!

This is a major safety issue. It could have been fatal. When the transmission downshifted suddenly to 2nd it was as if the brakes were slammed on unexpectedly. If the road conditions were less than ideal I could have crossed over onto coming traffic or rear ended.

I have never been so scared in my life. I paid $160 to have the TL towed back to North Shore Acura. Judging from the feedback I have read here I do not have much faith the replacement will hold up over time either.

Having read about this ongoing problem with the tranmission and Honda's response I have lost my faith in Honda. I have owned a number of Hondas over the years and I have never been so dissappointed.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Eskimo
2000 TL just joined the infamous transmission club at 95,000 km (60,000 miles). It happened while I was driving at 100km/h (62mph) along a twisty mountain highway. The tranmission slipped a little at first then started dropping gears all the way from 4/5 down to 2nd causing the front tires to chirp!

This is a major safety issue. It could have been fatal. When the transmission downshifted suddenly to 2nd it was as if the brakes were slammed on unexpectedly. If the road conditions were less than ideal I could have crossed over onto coming traffic or rear ended.

I have never been so scared in my life. I paid $160 to have the TL towed back to North Shore Acura. Judging from the feedback I have read here I do not have much faith the replacement will hold up over time either.

Having read about this ongoing problem with the tranmission and Honda's response I have lost my faith in Honda. I have owned a number of Hondas over the years and I have never been so dissappointed.
Yea I had a very similar experience. Luckily you weren't harmed but this IS a major issue. It wouldnt be so bad if the car just slipped gears and "glided" to a stop. I had a 99 maxima and when the tranny died on that car it the car just runs with the momentum it has until you stop it. The TL Just locks up! Luckily you werent harmed. Good luck with your car man and the New tranny cuz right now all we can do is see if the latest version holds up
Old 09-28-2006, 12:44 AM
4th Gear

I got my car back a few weeks ago after the tranny replacement. The car has worked great so far and the good news is the gas milage is up to aabout 22.5 mpg. The car was getting 20 mpg before the replacement. I tend to drive a little to fast. I also use D5, D4 and manual mode, switching between them when the mood hits me.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:07 AM
NiGhT rIdEr

Originally Posted by Eskimo

call this number (909-664-9009) and tell them about ur problem, if u fax them ur paper work and the reciept from the tow they will send you what u paid.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:10 AM
4th Gear

lol you have a point

Mine was replaced last week, hopefully the problem is fixed
Quick update; 220k on 200 3.2 TL -- I love this car! I took it for a ride 'up the mountains of West Virginia' last weekend on a trip from McLean, VA to Deep Creek Lake, MD -- MAN! I was challenging the transmission on purpose to see if there was anything I should worry about.

I stayed in full auto '5' the whole climb, and wanted to see if the transmission could shift without problems. No issues to report.

My daughter drives the 1997 2.5TL with 118k miles on it, and loves the car (nice ride for high school).

I am shopping for another TL -- looking used 2002 -2003 for my wife -- I am really concerned about what I read in this forum about transmissions.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
still got original tranny in my 00 tl 95 000km when its cold days 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd shift slip alot when over 1/4 throttle. also happened many times when i go to pass tranny kicks down to 2nd then doesn't want o upshift to 3rd stays bouncing off the rev limiter or if i take my foot off the gas satys at 5500 rpm anywere from 5 to 15 sec then clunks into 3rd. also notice when it warms up the tranny get lazy up shifts earlier then it used to. and it can't chrip the tires shifiting into 2nd anymore. brught it back twice this summer and 2 yrs ago they said tranny fluid looks fine and shifts fine. grrr guess ill have to wait few more weeks when starts to get cold leave the car over night. the tarnnies are covered 7yrs 100 000 miles right? are they any performance rebuild kit available incase acura wont cover this under warranty. pisses me off they havent fixed it.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 00laguna
still got original tranny in my 00 tl 95 000km when its cold days 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd shift slip alot when over 1/4 throttle. also happened many times when i go to pass tranny kicks down to 2nd then doesn't want o upshift to 3rd stays bouncing off the rev limiter or if i take my foot off the gas satys at 5500 rpm anywere from 5 to 15 sec then clunks into 3rd. also notice when it warms up the tranny get lazy up shifts earlier then it used to. and it can't chrip the tires shifiting into 2nd anymore. brught it back twice this summer and 2 yrs ago they said tranny fluid looks fine and shifts fine. grrr guess ill have to wait few more weeks when starts to get cold leave the car over night. the tarnnies are covered 7yrs 100 000 miles right? are they any performance rebuild kit available incase acura wont cover this under warranty. pisses me off they havent fixed it.
Id find a different dealer if its slipping
Old 10-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Wars not make one great

Mine died at about 46k miles. It started shifting really funny between 2nd and 3rd gear but luckily it was working well enough for me to make it to the Acura dealership. Of course it was covered under warantee but I had to drive a crappy rental car for a few days. I guess it made me appreciate my car even more.

I swear the new tranny isn't as smooth as the old one, but it has been working great since. They also gave me a new ECU. I bet they severely detuned our cars to prevent future premature failure.

Quick Reply: Tranny Failure Thread