Tranny Failure Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
mine protests going into 3rd every time now. i figure i have about half a day left before it fails completly
Old 07-11-2005, 03:48 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what is this, transmission number 5 for you Kris? At almost 200k miles, isn't it about time for new wheels, you've probably already repurchased the TL in transmission repairs. My 02 TL-P has 42.5k miles and it's soooo gone before 100k.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Advanced

ahhh im on my 4th tranny, within 100k. What can i do?
Old 07-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
So what is this, transmission number 5 for you Kris? At almost 200k miles, isn't it about time for new wheels, you've probably already repurchased the TL in transmission repairs. My 02 TL-P has 42.5k miles and it's soooo gone before 100k.
this will be the 4th failure

total tranny costs so far has been 900.00 bucks, so im a long way from repurchase. the car isnt worth any thing on trade or selling, and other than that the car is in perfect condition. ill keep it for work and see if i cant possible get over 300k out of her
Old 07-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by htownaccord
ahhh im on my 4th tranny, within 100k. What can i do?
contact honda and bitch, see if they will work some type of deal out
Old 07-14-2005, 10:13 PM
3rd Gear

Just Purchased an '02 TL Type S

My car finally got too expensive to fix; so I traded it for a 2002 TLS. I only had two days to research cars since the problem rendered my car undriveable and in needed to find a replacement quickly. Unfortunately, in those two days I researched the TL but did not come across the tranny issue(s).

I asked the dealer for a complete history of the car and it was a list of things that particular dealer had fixed. I thought "well maybe the car was locally owned and the owner did all their service at this dealer". Two days after I bought the car I took it in for some warranty work on a few things I didn't notice when I looked/test drove the car. While I was talking to the service guy; I asked him if any service had been done by a different dealer. Within a minute the guy informed me the tranny had been replaced at 35k at a different dealer. This threw a big red flag and when I got home I furiously searched the internet and came across this tranny thread and similar threads on other sites. This dealer did not diclose the tranny had been rebuilt and had me sign a general disclosure that basically states "we informed you of everything we know about the car".

I went back to the dealer and questioned them about why they didn't disclose the tranny replacement and I got the "we probably didn't know about it" response. I told the service manager about what I had read on the internet etc and also complained of bad gas mileage (12MPG). Come to find out, when the tranny was replaced they also replaced the ECU and the fuel pressure regulator.

Today, they ran basic diagnostices and everything appeared to be fine. They then took the car on a road test and they calculated it was getting 14MPG with a mixure of highway and in town driving. After the road test, the dealer reprogrammed the car for the latest updates etc. and then took it on a road test again. After the 'reprogram/reboot/etc.' they said the mileage improved to 20MPG and that the reprogram must have fixed whatever was wrong. Of course, they couldn't say exactly what it was. I will veryify their findings this weekend to ensure the did not BS me.

Even if the gas mileage issue has been resolved; I still don't trust them telling me "you have the latest and greatest tranny from Honda and all issues you have read about on the internet have been corrected". Should I believe the dealer?

Also, the fact they didn't disclose that the car had a rebuilt tranny before I purchased the car might fall under a "failure to diclose" clause in which I would have a right to void the contract. I basically read this on the internet but it wasn't too specific. Anybody have any experience with a failure to disclose issue?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:49 AM
TL-S navi driver

Originally Posted by MikeGr
My car finally got too expensive to fix; so I traded it for a 2002 TLS. ................

......................Even if the gas mileage issue has been resolved; I still don't trust them telling me "you have the latest and greatest tranny from Honda and all issues you have read about on the internet have been corrected". Should I believe the dealer?

Also, the fact they didn't disclose that the car had a rebuilt tranny before I purchased the car might fall under a "failure to diclose" clause in which I would have a right to void the contract. I basically read this on the internet but it wasn't too specific. Anybody have any experience with a failure to disclose issue?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
The fact that you are even here asking if you should believe them,in my opinion, should tell you to walk with caution with these people. Your instinct is screaming at you. Listen to it.

I am on my 10th transmission in my '02 TLS with 70K miles. I baby this car! I do not drive it hard and have serviced it as recommended, sometimes to the point of overkill. It is garaged and looks brand new. It saddens me cuz I like the car. Back to the subject at hand....sorry....I do that......It is quite possible that the dealership picked that car up at an auction or by trade and really had no idea. THey are not required to disclose any recalls or reported problems with any vehicle by law. That is considered public information and as a consumer, it is technically your responsibility to inform and educate yourself (Who the heck has time for that though!!?!?! SOOO FRUSTRATING!) as to a vehcile's history. So, they aren't going to tell you about any problems. It is not advantageous to their sale. So, here you are, the proud owner of a beautiful lemon, compliments of American Honda! Think of it this way, the car really is great in most regards. Compare the options and everything else you have in the car for what you paid for and see what your alternatives were ( The cars are worth nothing as a result of the trannies...I hope you got it for under 20K ). Then after you compare your acura with a bad rebuilt, to the comparable Hyundai with plush velour seating, I think it will be easier for you to start saving the $5000 you will pay the transmission shop (Don't you EVEN THINK about letting Acura do it for you after 100K, but let em pay for them until then ) for a relaible tranny that will get you a good 200K out of that car! It is not such a bad deal after all. I am gonna slap a new tranny in at 100K and drive the heck outta this car! Keep your head up...it could be a lot worse!
Old 07-15-2005, 11:44 AM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by todorable
I am on my 10th transmission in my '02 TLS with 70K miles.!
holy sh!t!!!!
Old 07-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by todorable
The fact that you are even here asking if you should believe them,in my opinion, should tell you to walk with caution with these people. Your instinct is screaming at you. Listen to it.

I am on my 10th transmission in my '02 TLS with 70K miles. I baby this car! I do not drive it hard and have serviced it as recommended, sometimes to the point of overkill. It is garaged and looks brand new. It saddens me cuz I like the car. Back to the subject at hand....sorry....I do that......It is quite possible that the dealership picked that car up at an auction or by trade and really had no idea. THey are not required to disclose any recalls or reported problems with any vehicle by law. That is considered public information and as a consumer, it is technically your responsibility to inform and educate yourself (Who the heck has time for that though!!?!?! SOOO FRUSTRATING!) as to a vehcile's history. So, they aren't going to tell you about any problems. It is not advantageous to their sale. So, here you are, the proud owner of a beautiful lemon, compliments of American Honda! Think of it this way, the car really is great in most regards. Compare the options and everything else you have in the car for what you paid for and see what your alternatives were ( The cars are worth nothing as a result of the trannies...I hope you got it for under 20K ). Then after you compare your acura with a bad rebuilt, to the comparable Hyundai with plush velour seating, I think it will be easier for you to start saving the $5000 you will pay the transmission shop (Don't you EVEN THINK about letting Acura do it for you after 100K, but let em pay for them until then ) for a relaible tranny that will get you a good 200K out of that car! It is not such a bad deal after all. I am gonna slap a new tranny in at 100K and drive the heck outta this car! Keep your head up...it could be a lot worse!

As far as I can tell NOBODY has found a reliable tranny for these cars yet.
I think one person has a high performance tranny with beefed up clutch packs
etc but even that started to fail.

As far as I can tell it's a DESIGN issue that beefed up parts can't really solve.
You would think that there would be an engineering solution to cool down
the hot spots (3rd gear clutch pack in particular) but....

Too bad. If anyone hears of a reliable replacement I'd sure like to know.
Mine is already showing symptoms.

/Steve
Old 07-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Intermediate

Is it possible to do a manual swap with 3rd gen tranny? Aren't the auto tranny the same on both gen?
Old 07-19-2005, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Is it possible to do a manual swap with 3rd gen tranny? Aren't the auto tranny the same on both gen?
no and no.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:40 PM
Cruiser

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bkzjimmy
holy sh!t!!!!

y are you still holding on?????
Old 07-21-2005, 12:35 AM
Cruisin'

Replaced Tranny

Well after 2 weeks of ownership, my 2002 TL-P with 33K miles, has received the transmission replacement. The car was a Certified Used Car, but I didn't notice the slipping until driving the car for a week under different conditions.

Anyway, it took 3 days to fix the car - and from the paperwork, it looks like they replaced the ECU also. My dealership was very professional and accomodating. We'll see how the transmission holds up.

Driving the car today, it felt good and shifted nicely. But we'll see what happens...........
Old 09-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Advanced

Another tranny is on it's way out. Everyday I drive my car I think to myself, "hey my car runs great and shifts smooth, I hope I'm not one of the many who end up with tranny problems". Well today is the day it appears on it's way out. I bought my '02 TLS in May with 88,600 miles or so on it and now with 96,537 miles on her, she's slipping badly and slamming into gear from 2nd to 3rd gear every time. At least it happened before 100,000 miles. Now I've got to call the dealership and see when I can take her in. Hopefully I'll get a loaner if they replace the tranny, but if not I'll enjoy driving the '94 RX7 for at least a few days....although I won't enjoy spending 2x as much for gas for that beast!
Old 09-03-2005, 08:12 AM
Intermediate

Damn!!! I got mine replaced at 75000+ miles on it and i brought it with 70k. Feels scary when it shifts to 3rd gear, don't it! Sh*t happened to me about 3 or 4 weeks ago while i was on the highway.
Hope all goes well.
Keep a N*gg* posted, aight?
Old 09-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JR_NoVA
Thank you very much for providing a link to some hard facts and details!!

In data provided in approximately Feb 2002, it was noted that much larger numbers of transmission failures occured in cars that were manufactured in the period from Apr to Jun 2000, and from Sep 2000 to Feb 2001.

Another piece of signficant data was that 5,375 cars reported transmission failures - due to "3rd clutch failure" - out of 681,103 cars manufactured.

In reading through this information - and in all fairness to Acura/Honda - it looks as if significant work has apparently been done to identify the problems in the transmission, and to upgrade the transmission components and resolve the problem.

However -- this does not alter the fact that Acura/Honda transmissions manufactured for several years have shown significant failure rates, which has caused a considerable amount of pain and aggravation for many of the TL owners/lovers in this thread, and considerable fear and trepidation to the rest of us.

I basically am going to drive this cat like it was meant to be driven! We'll just see what happens!!

Also, my condolences to all who have had transmission failures. I may "feel your pain" eventually!

HOW CAN I TELL WHEN IT WAS BUILT???
Old 09-08-2005, 02:10 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

My shuddering is getting worse.. a few times recently it seems that it can't hardly engage second gear. I feel the end is near. 46,100 miles as of today on my 2002 TL-P
Old 09-09-2005, 06:59 AM
Instructor

trans failed

I know I am one of the lucky ones.
My Wife's 01 CL-S has 118,000+ on the clock when the 1st trans failed on Tuesday.
Had the fluid changed at 57,000, and 108,000.

Waiting for Customer Service to make a decision if they will cover my loss.
Dealer is quoting, $3,400 - $4,000 to replace it!!

Exploring my options.
My local shop is getting me a price on doing it.
I am going to see what they will give me on a trade.
(The Dealer gave my wife a 05 TSX loaner)
Nice car, even my wife states good power for a 4 banger.

But you notice the lower level of quality between it and her CL-S.

Hope to know something today.

Has anyone else gone as far on their trans?
Any luck with customer service?

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RKeatF1
But you notice the lower level of quality between it and her CL-S.
You are saying the TSX isn't as good quality as CLS? Just curious.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:42 AM
Instructor

Thats it.
Very nice car, just that this one is not at the same level as Her 01.
Leather feels cheeper, lots of wrinkles (7,500 mi)
Dash has misaligned vent. Overall feel.
This is my only experiance.
Still waiting for word on my wif's trans
Old 09-09-2005, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Thats it.
Very nice car, just that this one is not at the same level as Her 01.
Leather feels cheeper, lots of wrinkles (7,500 mi)
Dash has misaligned vent. Overall feel.
This is my only experiance.
Still waiting for word on my wif's trans
Cool. Good luck on the tranny. Sorry you are having to deal with the failed tranny problem.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Has anyone else gone as far on their trans?
Any luck with customer service?

Thanks.
chuckstl made it to like 160 on his original. acura good willed him where he only had to pay the labor.

my 2nd failed at 115 and they covered it 100%
Old 09-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Instructor

This is what I am tryiong to find out.
What,or how did you plead your case to Acura to get them to extend you a "goodwill" replacement?
Old 09-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator

This is what I am tryiong to find out.
What,or how did you plead your case to Acura to get them to extend you a "goodwill" replacement?
i just told them that a failure especially that low of mileage and with a known problem was unacceptable
Old 09-10-2005, 08:13 AM
Instructor

Thanks to All!

Acura has agreed to replace the trans. They are only charging me for labor.
So I am pleased.

Has anyone other than "Fsttyms1" gotten an "extended warranty on their replacement trans?

I am going to ask if one is offered.
My Wife loves her CL-S, and does not want to get rid of it yet.

Bob K.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:16 PM
5th Gear

just bought an '02 TL type S w/ 54,000 miles yesterday thinking they were a reliable car than stumbled upon this thread looking for general problems took the car out this morning and what do you know i noticed it shifting funny when it would transition from 3rd -> 4th took a look under the car when i got home and bam there's blue paint on the bolts holding the tranny together and some blue paint on the one side i was reading last night and can't find today where i saw it say that the blue paint is a sure sign its a replacement. i sold a '98 gtp w/ 127,000 on it that i feared the tranny would be going soon as i beat the balls off it for 5+ years for this car, now this. gonna try to take it back to the dealer tomorrow and just get a GS400 thanks for this site and this thread for saving me tons of headaches especially since i switched from a 2 dr to a 4 dr cause the thought of having kids soon
Old 09-12-2005, 08:19 AM
Cruisin'

replacement costs after 100k miles.

If you are not comfortable paying for labor, I would try to get Acura to pay for everything, and site "all the other" customers that Acura has stood behind. Tell the dealer that you are going to talk to Honda and file a complaint and that you might even consider legal action. This might get their attention.

Thanks to All!

Acura has agreed to replace the trans. They are only charging me for labor.
So I am pleased.

Has anyone other than "Fsttyms1" gotten an "extended warranty on their replacement trans?

I am going to ask if one is offered.
My Wife loves her CL-S, and does not want to get rid of it yet.

Bob K.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:19 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Okay today on my drive home, I started accelerating and it went up to about 3000rpm in first and then proceeded to shift into second. It engaged second gear and then shuddered so hard it turned over my briefcase, but only for a second. It's been doing this frequently here lately. No slippage or warning lights. What's odd is that it's between 1st and 2nd gear, not 2nd and 3rd which is common. I'm almost positive this is the first sign of transmission failure, do you think?

02 TL-P 46700 miles

Edit: Wow, my post comes exactly 12 hours after the last post in this thread. I'm a nerd but I thought it was cool.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:41 AM
5th Gear

took back the '02 TL type S and upgraded into a GS400, best move i EVER made
Old 09-13-2005, 08:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by soyhead
took back the '02 TL type S and upgraded into a GS400, best move i EVER made
GS400 == nice. I'd like one but don't want to spend the $$$. Plus a lot of them are high milage now.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:55 AM
99 3.2 TL-P

Hey everyone.. im new to this site and now im reading all these transmission problems going on with our second generation TL's and it saddens me.. I just got a 1999 3.2 TL and i looove the car.. but i cant afford to buy a new transmission if the transmission of the car gives up.. im afraid acura wont cover the warranty because i bought the car from a private owner, and i scraped up all the money I have in the bank to buy this new one.. hopefully they cover it.. but if acura has a 7 year 100k warranty do you think theyll cover my car??? it has 69k miles on it and i got it for $10,000.. im scared now =[
Old 09-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Kevinl83
Hey everyone.. im new to this site and now im reading all these transmission problems going on with our second generation TL's and it saddens me.. I just got a 1999 3.2 TL and i looove the car.. but i cant afford to buy a new transmission if the transmission of the car gives up.. im afraid acura wont cover the warranty because i bought the car from a private owner, and i scraped up all the money I have in the bank to buy this new one.. hopefully they cover it.. but if acura has a 7 year 100k warranty do you think theyll cover my car??? it has 69k miles on it and i got it for $10,000.. im scared now =[
unless the car has a salvaged title acura will cover it to 100k or 7 years from the original purchaser's date.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:49 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Aren't some early production 1999s knocking on or already over 7 years?
Old 09-13-2005, 04:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

The 4 speed transmission in those cars doesn't have problems as frequently.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:40 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

But it has problems, just like the Gen6 Accords had problems with their 4ATs. Enough for an extended warranty.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:56 PM
Senior Moderator

yes, but like i said from the Original Purchase date it may be covered
Old 09-14-2005, 09:13 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by scottiew
GS400 == nice. I'd like one but don't want to spend the $$$. Plus a lot of them are high milage now.
i got a '99 with only 49,500 miles on it (it was a corporate lease) and it was only $3,000 more than the '02 acura with 54,000 miles that i took back that had a replaced tranny
Old 09-15-2005, 11:37 PM
2nd Gear

Tranny gone at 56K miles...not the most pleasant of experiences

I have a 2002 TL and the transmission failed on me at 56,000 miles. When the tranny started to go...it was the worst driving experience of my life. The symptoms are the same as those posted prior with the tranny not able to get into 3rd gear. When the car would "try" to get into 3rd from second, the car would rev to 5000rpm and then it would "slam" into 3rd (causes a very harsh jerking feeling). Also, when the symptoms get progressively worse, when the car would try and get into 3rd, the engine would not respond, and when it did, the front tires would "peel out" once the engine engages again. Then 2 miles from the dealership, all the lights when on...the D5, the VSA, etc. It was incredible that I even made it to the dealership. Least to say, I am getting rid of my TL because my confidence in Honda/Acura has gone sour. I own a 95 Integra which has not had any problem (w. 178K miles)...knock on wood; the TL is my wife's car. I really enjoy the Acura line of vehicles, but after reading some of the stories on the web, I need to look at other manufacturers for a more reliable vehicle. Sad that you can spend 30K for a car and only get 4 years out of the vehicle. Hopefully I can recoup some cost from the sale.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:14 AM
2nd Gear

I have been on my 4th transmission:
1st replaced under warranty at 120k kilometres
2nd replaced at 230k kilometres and I had to pay. Acura would not cover it.
3rd one replaced 3 days after my 2nd one.
Acura only provided a 20k kilometre warranty on the 3rd replacement. After 15k kilometeres, I started feeling a hesitation in the shifting. I was not going to take a chance on having to pay for it again. I started looking for a new car. Acura and Honda are not even in the running anymore and never will be again. I know of 2 people that were considering an Acura TL but once they heard of my experience, they decided not to buy one. Word gets around pretty quickly.

By the way, I bought an Infiniti G35x. I would not wish this on anyone and I hope all of you have better luck than I did.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:21 PM
TL-S navi driver

irony

Originally Posted by cirqued
I have been on my 4th transmission:
1st replaced under warranty at 120k kilometres
2nd replaced at 230k kilometres and I had to pay. Acura would not cover it.
3rd one replaced 3 days after my 2nd one.
Acura only provided a 20k kilometre warranty on the 3rd replacement. After 15k kilometeres, I started feeling a hesitation in the shifting. I was not going to take a chance on having to pay for it again. I started looking for a new car. Acura and Honda are not even in the running anymore and never will be again. I know of 2 people that were considering an Acura TL but once they heard of my experience, they decided not to buy one. Word gets around pretty quickly.

By the way, I bought an Infiniti G35x. I would not wish this on anyone and I hope all of you have better luck than I did.
How ironic. I am on my 10th tranny and it strated to go last weekend. I just order my new '06 G35 coupe. Acura can kiss my arse! Unreal how they dont seem to care about their customers! Give the money to Infiniti and BMW, since they seem to care more, I say!

Quick Reply: Tranny Failure Thread