Thoughts on my Transmission Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 07:50 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Thoughts on my Transmission Problem?

I have a 2002 Acura 3.2 TL. Transmissions are notorious for going bad in this year and model. I did want to get a second opinion before I replaced the transmission though.

I was driving on the interstate in 5th gear, cruise control on, in sport shifter mode. The gear indicator started blinking and I felt the car stop propelling itself. After coming to a halt the car would not move forward or backward. Transmission fluid was all over the engine block. There was no fluid left according to the dipstick.

After having the car off for a while I started the car again and it WOULD go into gear. I started driving again and got to about 3rd gear and it did the same thing. Put a little more fluid in and it would start working again, but shortly after, stopping again. Would do the same thing even when staying in 1st gear, would work for a while and then stops.

Thoughts?
Old 10-29-2015, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
Well..did you see where the fluid was leaking from? The first thing you should have done is found the reason why the fluid was all over the place. I would assume a line ruptured. Now these trans are fragile to begin with so running them very low in fluid will cause slipping and excessive heat that may have done some damage right there. But what is worse is you kept driving it after the original issue. That may have put the last nail in the coffin.
You need to fix the leak, fill it up to between the dots on the dipstick, then see if it is ok.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
you're done, swap in a 07 accord non hybrid V6 trans and call it a day.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:20 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Running a transmission without fluid is pretty much fatal for any transmission. A neighbor of mine has a fairly brand new volvo that hit a pipe on the freeway offramp - the pipe went through the bumper and knocked one of the solenoids off. She made it about 1 mile until her car quit like yours. I was actually driving by when I saw her and stopped - the fluid on the ground under the car was full of clutch material. I told her to tell the insurance company to get her a new trans but they fought her and the dealership just replaced the solenoid. She had serious transmission issues for 2 weeks after getting the car back and it took me calling the dealership and telling them that her trans was toast before they agreed to replace the transmission.

So who really knows but there's a good chance your clutch packs were damaged or destroyed.

I would definitely find the source of the leak and do a drain and fill and strain your fluid with a screen and see if you get any material in it. If so, probably time to get a new one.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
Cars may have improved drastically the last 15 years but in many ways not as tough. I had an '87 Olds Cutlass Ciera that was one of the most durable cars I have owned. Had the 'iron duke' 4cyl engine that was pretty indestructible. Overheated it pretty badly and due to be cast iron block it was fine. And burst a transmission hose on the highway in the mountains and lost a lot of fluid. Slipping like mad for miles until I made it to an exit and gas station. Patched the leaking hose with tape and refilled trans. Leaked a bunch more out and slipping again like crazy until I found a parts store. Replaced hose and was totally fine after that. Thought for sure it was damaged for good. Anyways, cars nowadays much more fragile
Old 10-29-2015, 10:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
sounds like a pressure line or an axle seal = to blow atf all over the place!
When that happens and you screw around with adding fluid- probably an emergency fluid and not honda dw-1..bad thing may happen

A 3 ounce fluid sample sent with 25$ to Blackstone Labs will reveal if there is heavy metal concentrations or clutch particulate material in high amounts
Maybe its ok!!
DO NOT DRIVE until this leak is found and decide if its worth fixing
Old 10-29-2015, 10:27 PM
Team Owner

for replacement look towards an oddy or accord of certain years (see the thread)
drops in and is a way better internal design for the oil flow passages to the clutch packs- our problem!
a USED trans from a crashed car will run you ~ 1500-2000 Dollars parts and labor
Rebuilding yours if original unit from 02...poor choice

A TL with a `post 2005` trans unit = with blue paint on bolt heads is better design,
but not a good as the accord
DO NOT LET aamco or any local trans shop convince you to do a `tear down inspection` and then give `rebuild estimate`!!!!
They dont know about these specific transmissions and mistakes will be made, at a cost to you of over 5000 DOLLARS
Dealer wants that for the rebuilt units that come from a rebuilder shop, made of other used acura trans parts!

So is the car worth 2 grand in trans repairs right now?? plus lets figure it needs the every 105 kmiles major service
Are you DIY capable because that ones gonna run about 1000-1500 US DOLLARS!!! or more!!
Plus brakes or tires = 4 grand in repairs for a car worth about 3 grand!

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 10-29-2015 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:49 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by MarcDavidoff
Well..did you see where the fluid was leaking from? The first thing you should have done is found the reason why the fluid was all over the place. I would assume a line ruptured. Now these trans are fragile to begin with so running them very low in fluid will cause slipping and excessive heat that may have done some damage right there. But what is worse is you kept driving it after the original issue. That may have put the last nail in the coffin.
You need to fix the leak, fill it up to between the dots on the dipstick, then see if it is ok.
Could not find a leak anywhere. I only drove it maybe 50 feet since it happened. It has been sitting in the street, refilled with fluid. Still holds fluid and no puddle on the ground.

Someone suggested the fluid could have come out of some kind of vent?
Old 10-31-2015, 06:51 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
sounds like a pressure line or an axle seal = to blow atf all over the place!
When that happens and you screw around with adding fluid- probably an emergency fluid and not honda dw-1..bad thing may happen

A 3 ounce fluid sample sent with 25$ to Blackstone Labs will reveal if there is heavy metal concentrations or clutch particulate material in high amounts
Maybe its ok!!
DO NOT DRIVE until this leak is found and decide if its worth fixing
Can't find the leak. Cosmetically everything looks like normal. No puddle under the car either. It is holding fluid too...
Old 10-31-2015, 11:36 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
You need to pull the DTC.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:18 AM
Team Owner

hi 01, Please explain what DTC is/are for the non-mechanics in the group, thank you!

you say pull, do I remove something from outside the trans and take it to the dealer?
DTC = Differential Trans Cover?? Decidedly Troubling Conversation?
Old 11-01-2015, 11:24 AM
Team Owner

ET: there is a vent if the fluid were to be overfilled and overheated-- it could come out
(gurus come tell me I am wrong,, again,,,)

Did you put in 11 qts instead of 3 during a fluid change??

Have you been testing the trans while Parked? Wheels blocked- brakes on- be certain the car cant jump forward or back!!!
Try R and D with rev held at 2000- simulating drive load
A leak is going to appear under pressure, not just sitting there with the engine off.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
DTC: Diagnostic Trouble Code.

OP posted that "The gear indicator started blinking and I felt the car stop propelling itself". When the D indicator blinks that means there is a DTC stored in the OBDII. So OP needs to pull the DTC to see what is stored.

When trans acts up with the D indicator blinking that indicates another problem inconjuction with the trans problem. In all instances when this happens it is recommend that the DTC be addressed first bc the DTC may be the primary cause of the car's issue(s).

In other words address the trans problem last.