Sway Bar End Links and Unbalanced Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sway Bar End Links and Unbalanced Car

Could replacing just one rear sway bar end link cause one side of the car to be higher than the rest of the car?

MY GF just bought a 99 TL that was in an accident. Work has been done and everything looked fine. We got both subframes straightened out.

I noticed the rear left side of the car was sitting up a about 2 inches higher than the rest of the car. I know we recently installed a rear sway bar link on that side of the car. Along with that issue I noticed the whole front is sitting a little lower than usual, maybe being cause by the rear left side being jacked up.

A suspension shop I took it to this morning noticed that one of my upper control arm bushing on the right side needs to be replaced would this attribute to this issue also. They are the one that gave me the Idea that the sway bar end link could make the one side sit higher than the rest, which I find very weird. He is stating it has not been fully broken in yet. I also hear a crazy noise when I make sharp left turn i believe this is being cause by the control arm issue.

I think I am just going to try to replace upper control arm and the front Shocks and spring with my old OEM one that I have laying around. I am also planning on taking the car back to the place that straightened out the subframes and have them take a look.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
its possible maybe a little but not that much, Id say there are other issues at fault here. Being in a accident leads me to believe something isnt fixed correctly
Old 09-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe the chassis is bent, maybe the shock was installed incorrectly
Old 09-27-2007, 06:18 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
it shouldn't be due to a swaybar endlink. 2 inches is a big difference in size, unless they swapped the front link for the rear link, because the front and rear links have about an inch or so of size difference.

it's completely possible one of the shocks isn't sitting right, but you would probably hear that while driving around. i would say just take the wheels off and start looking for things that aren't right.

jack up the rear and take both rear tires off. if the installations aren't the same on both sides then you have a smoking gun.