Steering wheel Column knocking sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 04:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering wheel Column knocking sound

HI guys ...I've noticed that my steering wheel column would knock when I steer the steering wheel LEFT and RIGHT when I'm parked. I don't mean steering it ALL the way to the left or right , but just 45 degrees left and right.

IT happens when I counter-steer to the left only, but not to the right....

Could I have damaged my steering wheel column? or could something be loose?

Any ideas would be helpful... thanks
Old 12-31-2005, 05:01 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow....that could be anything from the steering wheel cable reel to the linkage in the steering somewhere. Do you "feel" anything in the steering wheel when this occurs...or just hear it. Very hard to tell without knowing more info.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

well i can feel it in the steering and hear it as well, but i think i should try turning the steering wheel left and right faster as i'm driving to see if the same problem occurs.

also... when i get out of my garage... i usually turn my steering wheel almost all the way to the right. So when I start going down my slgihtly inclined driveway, i hear a knock from under the car. The sound is definitely related to my steering.

This problem is probably very minor... but i'm not sure if this is normal
Old 01-09-2006, 12:01 AM
B93P TL Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chewi
HI guys ...I've noticed that my steering wheel column would knock when I steer the steering wheel LEFT and RIGHT when I'm parked. I don't mean steering it ALL the way to the left or right , but just 45 degrees left and right.

IT happens when I counter-steer to the left only, but not to the right....

Could I have damaged my steering wheel column? or could something be loose?

Any ideas would be helpful... thanks

Please let me know if you find the culprit of this scenario, as I am experiencing the exact same thing. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have this single "knock" when I turn my steering wheel. I forgot if it's to the left or the right, but can only be heard/felt through the steering wheel in situations where I turn the steering wheel slowly (like parking). BTW, it's a '00 TL-P with 72k miles.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Money is funny.

I have that very faint knock too when you turn the wheel sometimes, but more often than not, since the beginning of this winter it has been more squeaking than anything. I tried popping the hood to see where the sound came from, but the sound seemed like it was more audible inside the cabin than under the hood, would there be problems with the cable in regards to this as well?
Old 01-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
sounds like it could be a balljoint or tie rod end.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
damn.... i hope its nothing big...

will this be covered underwarranty or not?

i still have 7 months before my 3yr warranty is over.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Depends what it is. It may be covered. Only way to find out what it is is to bring it in
Old 01-16-2006, 11:16 AM
B93P TL Owner

Originally Posted by xasnxkiddox
I also have this single "knock" when I turn my steering wheel. I forgot if it's to the left or the right, but can only be heard/felt through the steering wheel in situations where I turn the steering wheel slowly (like parking). BTW, it's a '00 TL-P with 72k miles.
I too have this exact same issue. Sounds and feels like it is coming from right at the steering wheel. Had Acura dealer to check into it a couple weeks ago. They too were able to recognize the abnormal sound, but without taking apart the steering wheel it is hard to tell where it is coming from. Their initial guess was the cable reel since this is the only rotating part behind the airbag assembly. Instead of paying for a part that is not guaranteed to solve matters, I decided to hold off until it can be pinpointed better. It's been doing this for quite some time now, hasn't gotton any worse. Just annoying at times.

FYI . . . this is what was wrote on my service ticket:

Steering Concern
Check Slight Knock Noise and Feel when Turning Steering
Wheel Slightly Worse When Turning In Parking Space
Could Not Determine Which Component Is Making Noise at This Time
Noise Will Need To Get Louder To Accurately Diagnose Problem

Originally Posted by poohlikeshunny
I have that very faint knock too when you turn the wheel sometimes, but more often than not, since the beginning of this winter it has been more squeaking than anything. I tried popping the hood to see where the sound came from, but the sound seemed like it was more audible inside the cabin than under the hood, would there be problems with the cable in regards to this as well?
I get a squeek from the steering wheel area as well when turning to the left, but only after car has sat overnight. After one to two turns the noise goes away altogther. This behavior started when winter came along. Doesn't really bother me, I figured that the cable reel is the culprit and that the cold weather has an effect on the part.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Funny you mention this, at 140000 miles my lower balljoint on passenger side is starting to go bad. It will be replaced when the knuckle arrives later this week. Maybe this will help.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:20 PM
Money is funny.

well unfortunately fo rme, it hasn't gone away after a few turns. it's gottn more subtle, but it's always there if i have everything off except the engine, ie no radio, air, etc. Is a balljoint like a CV joint? and is a tie rod end attached to it? are either of them an expensive or complicated job?
Old 01-16-2006, 10:05 PM
B93P TL Owner

A CV joint, ball joint and tie-rod end are three separate suspension/steering components on the vehicle that all work together as one. The CV joint is part of the driveaxle used to spin your wheels forward or backwards (depending on how you have your tranny set). The most common symptom of a failed CV joint is crackling type noises you would hear when making an extreme turn and accelerating. A tie-rod end and ball joint are both connected to a steering knuckle (which is what your wheel/brake/rotor and hub assembly is attached to). The tie-rod end is responsible for turning wheels from left to right, and the balljoint is the pivot point on which it turns. A failed tie-rod end will usually show up as some play/slop in your steering (i.e. you have to turn your wheel 1/2 inch or more before your tires begin to rotate). A failed ball joint can manifest in a couple different ways. Either a squeeking sound while going over bumps due to lack of lubrication, or a clunking sounds while driving over a rough section of pavement , and/or while hitting bumps in the road (in more extreme cases). As far as replacement costs, the tie-rod end is by far the cheapest of all, about $50 for the part (and pretty easy to replace). But I highly doubt the tie-rod has anything to do with what you are describing unless you have some considerable amount of play in the steering wheel. The balljoint, as I just found out, is not cheap as you have to replace the whole entire knuckle (approximately $300). This is not a typical DIY'r because it involves pressing wheel bearing out of old knuckle and into new knuckle. Can easily be a $500 job from dealer just for one side (part and 2hr labor)!!

Lot of information, hope it helps. Fsttyms1 please chime in on this if I missed anything. But I do believe if you hear the squeeks right at/inside the steering wheel then it is probably not suspension related.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:40 PM
Money is funny.

mdavisii: great writeup! Very descriptive!