Stalling/shuting off while driving...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 11:52 PM
Turbo 6 Speed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stalling/shuting off while driving...

I have an 03 tl-s with 60k on the clock. About a month ago the I was at a light and I was about to hit the gas and the car didnt move I was like wtf??? Then i realized the motor just shut off or maybee it stalled. The second time this happped I was on an onramp going onto the highway and it the motor just shut off on me again thank go there was no cars behined be. what could this be? the egr?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:02 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here are a couple of possibilities:

Bad Ignition Switch
Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) needs to be cleaned

Other forum members will probably add some other possibilities.

And search the forums for "Stall". There are others that have experienced this problem.

And I'm not sure about this but I sometimes wonder if an ignition immobilizer problem could cause the engine to stall. If the problem is in your key perhaps you could try another one. The keys can go bad if they get wet or too hot.

Also, don't keep immobilizer keys for two separate Acura/Honda vehicles on the same key ring. They can interfere with each other.

Good luck and let us know what you figure out.

Bob
Old 09-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Intermediate

Check fuel pressure and do a volume test. Check the Throttle position senor too. good luck! Make sure you have fuel in the care too.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:03 AM
5th Gear

when you turn your car on and leave it in park...does your engine sound like it's going up and down, and does your car shake...and is there a little bit of black smoke coming out of the exhaust? If so...it's your MAP sensor.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Turbo 6 Speed

nope the car is quit and the engine runs very smooth. also the idle is perfect. my maint requierd light is on tho.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Racer

Mine is doin the same thing. Took it to the dealer this morning and it the codes were:

PO505 - Idle Air Control
61-2 - ????
34-2 - ????
31-2 - ????

They are telling me the IAC need replaced ($244). Are you saying it can just be cleaned out????

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Elementz
They are telling me the IAC need replaced ($244). Are you saying it can just be cleaned out????
Yes, they absolutely can be cleaned out.

But it's also possible that it would need to be replaced. They can fail.

If you search for "IACV", you'll find a ton of posts on this. It's a common TL problem. I don't have the link but there's one thread that's pretty much a "How-To" guide for cleaning it yourself with tons of photos.

Bob
Old 09-06-2006, 09:23 AM
5th Gear

same stall problem here

Was the dealer able to get the codes without having the car stall in his presence? I took my car to a local mechanic who said he couldn't determine what the problem was unless the car stalled in his presence. Then he said something about this being a problem with the distributor housing/coil. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks.

Mine is doin the same thing. Took it to the dealer this morning and it the codes were:

PO505 - Idle Air Control
61-2 - ????
34-2 - ????
31-2 - ????

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:08 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pacific1
Was the dealer able to get the codes without having the car stall in his presence? I took my car to a local mechanic who said he couldn't determine what the problem was unless the car stalled in his presence. Then he said something about this being a problem with the distributor housing/coil. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks.
as far as i have known all OBDII cars store their codes in the computer for later retrieval. unless you disconnected the battery he should be able to pull the codes up. also, our cars don't have distributors. we have individual coil-on-plug design. if one of your coils went bad you would just have a misfire, not a total shutdown.

i would go to a different mechanic if i were you. sounds like he doesn't want to do the job. when many trade professionals are too busy to take on new work they make up excuses or quote outrageous prices to discourage customers.

SSTS
Old 09-06-2006, 01:23 PM
5th Gear

Thanks for the advice. I'm picking up my car this afternoon and will have it checked out by the dealer first.

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
as far as i have known all OBDII cars store their codes in the computer for later retrieval. unless you disconnected the battery he should be able to pull the codes up. also, our cars don't have distributors. we have individual coil-on-plug design. if one of your coils went bad you would just have a misfire, not a total shutdown.

i would go to a different mechanic if i were you. sounds like he doesn't want to do the job. when many trade professionals are too busy to take on new work they make up excuses or quote outrageous prices to discourage customers.

SSTS
Old 09-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Intermediate

Today I starting having the same problem and have the check engine and tcs light on. Stalls like crazy... at least 5 times down my street!
Old 09-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
WTL-S,

When the car stalls do you lose your gauge lights as well as the power windows? If so it is most definitely the ignition switch. Had the same problem.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

they are not that easy to clean.
u can take it off..blow it out..maybe you'll get lucky..but you can't use a cleaner or hose it out.
there is a little motor on the IAC...you'll just wreck it if you get it wet.
just replace it.

PO505 - Idle Air Control
61-2 - ????
34-2 - ????
31-2 - ????

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Drifting

Here's the thread I mentioned that describes the process to clean the IACV:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125476

Unfortunately, all the excellent photos that went along with the description are no longer available.

Bob
Old 09-11-2006, 01:51 AM
5th Gear

update

An update. Turns out it was the ignition switch after all. The stealership has serviced my car in the past, but never bothered to replace the ignition switch, even though it had a recall on it. This time around, the service guy wanted to check if there was an expiration date on the recall!!??!! I told him I was lucky my car stalled on a small side street and not the freeway.

Thanks for the advice. I'm picking up my car this afternoon and will have it checked out by the dealer first.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:23 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the update! That's great news.

You might want to check and see if there are any other recall items that were missed on your car.

Bob

An update. Turns out it was the ignition switch after all. The stealership has serviced my car in the past, but never bothered to replace the ignition switch, even though it had a recall on it. This time around, the service guy wanted to check if there was an expiration date on the recall!!??!! I told him I was lucky my car stalled on a small side street and not the freeway.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:36 AM
8th Gear

I'm searching here tonight, because my 99 just started the same thing last week. The first time I though it was a fluke...idling in traffic...but today it was on the freeway at 80mph...all electrical needles went off as if a relay or something had tripped... Shifted into Neutral while coasting, turned the key, and it fired back up... Was there a date on the recall? Is the ignition switch something that can be replaced easilty or is it best to take it to the dealer (assuming its not still covered under the recall). Thanks for the help!
Old 09-14-2006, 03:03 PM
Drifting

My understanding is that recalls don't expire so you will always have coverage. Call Acura with your VIN number and they can tell you if the ignition switch recall has been done yet on your car. (assuming that you're not the original owner.)

You can also register your car online with Acura and that web site will tell you if you have any unresolved recall items.

If you install an ignition switch yourself, here's a cool "how to" page:

http://techauto.te.funpic.org/index....ignitionswitch

I think I found that link on the Acurazine forums.

Bob

Originally Posted by iwritesql
I'm searching here tonight, because my 99 just started the same thing last week. The first time I though it was a fluke...idling in traffic...but today it was on the freeway at 80mph...all electrical needles went off as if a relay or something had tripped... Shifted into Neutral while coasting, turned the key, and it fired back up... Was there a date on the recall? Is the ignition switch something that can be replaced easilty or is it best to take it to the dealer (assuming its not still covered under the recall). Thanks for the help!
Old 09-15-2006, 09:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

bah.
my car is doing this stalling thing now.
it just shuts off...the dash is lit up like the ignition is turned on...but i have to restart it.
supposedly this recall was done when the car had like 30k on it.
it now has 130k.
do you think it needs to be replaced again?.
yesterday it shut off at like at 80 mph on rte 78.
it was scary.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by joseph_99tl
bah.
my car is doing this stalling thing now.
it just shuts off...the dash is lit up like the ignition is turned on...but i have to restart it.
supposedly this recall was done when the car had like 30k on it.
it now has 130k.
do you think it needs to be replaced again?.
yesterday it shut off at like at 80 mph on rte 78.
it was scary.

If the ignition switch is bad, you will lose gauge lights and power windows. Test that out and see if it does that.

Oh and Joseph, I have a perfectly good ignition switch I can sell and install for you. PM me if you're interested. I swapped mine out because I thought that was the problem. Turns out it was my alarm that failed.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
If the ignition switch is bad, you will lose gauge lights and power windows. Test that out and see if it does that.

Oh and Joseph, I have a perfectly good ignition switch I can sell and install for you. PM me if you're interested. I swapped mine out because I thought that was the problem. Turns out it was my alarm that failed.
let me see how things go...i may take up on the offer.
thx, nsxnext
Old 09-27-2006, 07:52 PM
5th Gear

Hey everyone, Imma noobie here and my 99 TL w/ 120,XXX just started doing this... well my weekend warrior is a turbo 2000 GSR and I keep that key (with the chip as well) on the same key ring and I saw someone posted it could be that, so i just took it off now for incase thats it... but if its not... Im guessing the ignition maybe?? So what i wanna know is, when you say that the lights go off/windows wont go down does that mean until its restarted or only for a sec.. because sometimes, it just flashes all the lights like I just started the car up while im driving it but it doesnt die, and it has only actually stalled on me completely once, and other than that, a couple times it would start up and then immediately stall... You guys think its my other Integra key with the chip in it on the same key ring or you think its the ignition switch??
Old 10-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Instructor

Exclamation

Originally Posted by mbhimla83
when you turn your car on and leave it in park...does your engine sound like it's going up and down, and does your car shake...and is there a little bit of black smoke coming out of the exhaust? If so...it's your MAP sensor.

I have that problem, when i start my car cold, the rpm goes up and down, is it the MAP sensor? if so what is it and how do i fix it?