Shifter Light in D (Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 02:34 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifter Light in D (Drive)

Just recently I noticed that when I shift my car into "D" (Drive) the green light on my 02 TL-S does not light up green (at all). And the passenger sider mirror doesn't adjust towards the curb when I put it in "R" (Reverse)

Any ideas, Help?
Old 03-23-2012, 04:51 AM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
The bulb on the D5 can be busted!

As for the Side Mirror:
Check the position of The mirror Selector on your door for it to automatically tilt while in reverse it must be set in the middle position (No Left or Right).
Old 03-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 23 Posts
Another possibility is your trans range selector switch (neutral safety switch) is out of adjustment.

Not a hard job, but requires the car in the air of some capacity...

You need to pop the assembly off, put the trans in neutral, then the switch in neutral, assemble VERY CAREFULLY, as to not move the trans stem or switch.

I also remember seeing a TSB on that switch, the stem in the trans may need to be 'widened'.... You'll see what I mean when the switch is off, it'll look like you can stick a flathead in the middle of the stem to make the O.D. a little wider, do so, but not too much, you won't be able to get the switch into place if it's too wide.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:25 AM
8th Gear

The D does not light up on the cluster. On the shifter it does. My apologies if the first posting got Confusing. Then sometimes when I single it will have a rapid clicking noise coming from the cluster but nothing visible that I can see is on. I would either shut off the car or make other signal turns for it to go away.

And about the neutral safety switch I have no idea what that means or what it is..... If you can provide a diagram it would greatly help
Old 03-30-2012, 02:26 AM
8th Gear

Signal, not Single...
Old 03-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 23 Posts
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

You are looking at #25 for that part-

- and your extra symptoms of clicking relays makes me think this is your exact problem, happened to me dead nuts how you are describing it, re-positioned that switch, put it back together REAL CAREFUL and the problem went away!

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2012, 04:05 AM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Does your clock backlight work? Reason I ask is because my car has been in my family since 01. Since the rebuilt tranny was put in, in 05 if memory serves neither the d5 light nor the clock backlight worked. I was driving very distracted one evening with like 5 people in the car and I didn't notice the construction sight ahead. I hit a Massive bump HARD. I thought I broke something for sure but actually soon as I hit it both the clock and d5 light started working again. Maybe the cars are probe to loose connections with those specific electrics.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:17 AM
8th Gear

I've been doing some research and found/realized that the clicking noise is NOT coming from the cluster as I thought. Thought it was but figured it out that it has a relay under the dash just above the hood pop lash that is making the clicking noise. I took out the relay but no turn signals when I signal. I flashed my flash light to where the relay plugs to and it just reads "TURN". I still have no idea what it means or why a relay and not just a fuse or some sort but it's there for it's purpose. Anyways, so that may not be the culprit. So I took the plastic steering column apart, and moved the wires around on the turn signal switch and unplugging it and plugging it back in and at the same time leaving the engine on/running then the turn signal switched turned left/right (don't matter) and the rapid noise either goes away or still stays on. If I keep moving it more and messing with it, it will either signal or not at all. So my guess is it's either the whole turn signal/wiper switch motor that needs replacing not the relay under the dash.

All in all, I currently don't have any turn signals at the moment. And like I said, if I mess with it by wobbling the harness plug on the turn switch the turn signal light sometimes blinks like it should and functions like normal but as soon as I let go it goes back to making a rapid clicking clicking clicking noise or shuts off or like right now gets no signal at all.... I just want to slam the crap out if it to shut it up so PLEASE HELP before I really do it...

Last edited by Vang G2TS; 05-17-2012 at 12:31 AM.