Rough idle and limp mode help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 07:25 AM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rough idle and limp mode help!!!

Hello acura zine,
My car has been acting up and is love help or advice from anyone who could have had the same problem. First off, in most cases the first start up of the day the car turns on then stalls within seconds. I have to try turning it on 5-10 times until it turns on and stays on. Once it starts it idles around 400 and feels like it's going to stall but it doesn't. Also, the gas response seems delayed and hesitates to shift. I don't know what the problem is and this might be a different problem but the car doesn't pass 3000 rpm and it will hit a limit until I let off for it to shift. I heard this is limp mode but I don't know how to get out of it. If the 3000 rpm limit problem happens I just have to pull over and disconnect my battery reconnect it then it runs fine. I hope someone who had this problem will see my post thank you all so much!
Old 05-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Welcome Sexysteezy !
If your car is running so poorly as you described, then more than likely the "CEL" light is on in the dash. Take the car to most any auto parts store and they will check the codes for free. Once you get them, let us know what they are and perhaps we can better assist you.

Couple questions: What year, how many miles, any recent PM work done, etc. anything ???

Could be many different issues ranging from a weak battery, worn dirty parts, and so forth.
When was the last tune up ? Sorta sounds like possibly a bad coil pack ......and or clogged EGR ?!?!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:34 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Welcome Sexysteezy !
If your car is running so poorly as you described, then more than likely the "CEL" light is on in the dash. Take the car to most any auto parts store and they will check the codes for free. Once you get them, let us know what they are and perhaps we can better assist you.

Couple questions: What year, how many miles, any recent PM work done, etc. anything ???

Could be many different issues ranging from a weak battery, worn dirty parts, and so forth.
When was the last tune up ? Sorta sounds like possibly a bad coil pack ......and or clogged EGR ?!?!
Hollo and thanks for the reply!
I have a 1999 acura tl with 220,000 miles. (It's a lot but it ran like a champ before this problem) I had transmission rebuilt less than 10000 miles ago and have been up to date with oil changes and tune ups. The codes that came up were p1121, p1456, and p108. I seafoamed my car last night but it didn't really help and I have a MAP sensor and throttle position sensor on the way that should be here soon. Do you think that the sensors could be the solution to my problem? Thanks for the help! I really hope the sensors are the problem..
Old 05-29-2013, 06:39 AM
7th Gear

Also it has been getting worse, my car is now stalling at stops and when it doesn't cut off it revs low and very rough
Old 05-29-2013, 06:58 AM
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by sexysteezy
I have a MAP sensor and throttle position sensor on the way that should be here soon. Do you think that the sensors could be the solution to my problem? Thanks for the help! I really hope the sensors are the problem..

It sounds like you are throwing parts at the problem and hoping for the best.
I would start from the basics by taking apart and thoroughly cleaning out the intake system, egr ports, egr valve and snake a coat hanger on the egr passage on the block to clean it out. Then remove the IACV valve and clean it. You will need a few cans of carb cleaner. We have a DIY on this here. The 99's are prone to getting their passages clogged up rather quickly. If you haven't cleaned it before, this may very well be your problem.

Your problem can also be caused by a faulty EGR valve or a dirty IACV.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:04 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by victus1
It sounds like you are throwing parts at the problem and hoping for the best.
I would start from the basics by thoroughly cleaning out the intake system, egr ports, egr valve and snake a coat hanger on the egr passage on the block to clean it out. Then remove the IACV valve and clean it. You will need a few cans of carb cleaner. We have a DIY on this here. The 99's are prone to getting their passages clogged up rather quickly. If you haven't cleaned it before, this may very well be your problem.

Your problem can also be caused by a faulty EGR valve or a dirty IACV.
I cleaned my intake and throttle body but ill get to cleaning the egr when I get home. Thanks! Ill get to looking for the DIY now! Ill post when I find the solution to this problem
Old 05-29-2013, 07:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Do you have a volt meter? If so measure the voltage at the TPS sensor
Old 06-02-2013, 10:23 AM
7th Gear

Hello!
To anyone with this problem it was my MAP sensor. Once I got the new one in(took about 2 minutes, very simple it sits on top of throttle body) the car ran like it was new. Happy to not run rich and in limp mode thanks for the help guys!
The following users liked this post:
victus1 (06-02-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 07:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Sometimes the simple things are overlooked, good to know that in your case that it was a quick fix. Guess you can return the TPS sensor.

A good cleaning of the EGR passageways will ensure better runability as you head for 300k !!!!