Replacing stock radio with... stock radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 06:28 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Replacing stock radio with... stock radio

I've been throwing the infamous Er-01 message of death for a few months, and after doing the bump and switch, the pry and pull, and even hooking a cd player up to my blitzsafe, I'm going to go ahead and replace it.

The dealer wanted 800 for a new unit, and 200 for installation

Okay, that's not going to happen. I'm pretty sure that its an easy self-install, seeing that I darn near took it out when I put in the blitzsafe. If not, I'll just take it to the aftermarket audio shop down the street. (They're quality, don't worry).

Either way, I'm looking on ebay, and I have a few questions. Will the 00-01 work for an '02? Are the nav ones any different?

I saw one from canada for a nice price, but the guy said he didnt have the radio code. Now I know if you lose yours, you can just go to the dealership, but does that work if the one in my car isnt the original? I mean, who's to say I didn't steal it?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
If the guy from Canada is legit- he can look at the serial number on the back of the radio and with some proof of ownership go to the dealer -Who will look up the code for free.

People in the states have simply gotten the number off the back and walked in the dealer and came back with the code- no paperwork no hassle- long as you look like you own an Acura I guess

Otherwise- you are right- who is to know if its stolen

Post a WTB ad in the Black Market section of this acurazine forum- see if someone is sitting on a good used unit.

Also call your local auto recycler aka junkyard and ask what they have.
Find a good one out of a crashed car maybe?

Good luck and always be on your guard- no radio code hmmm where exactly did you get this radio with the built in anti theft code????????????????
Old 01-31-2007, 07:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
problem is you have a 6 disk the 99-01s arent. They also dont play cd-rs very well. Also MAKE SURE its a TL radio. The CL radios look the same from the front, but arent the same.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:14 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Thanks for the tips, fellas!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:56 PM
Senior Moderator

And like stated before, make sure it comes with the code
Old 02-12-2007, 09:06 PM
2000 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL/CL radio

Wow, I almost shelled out $300 for a radio that would not fit my car.
Thank you guys so much for saying something. I wanted to buy a stereo from eBay because my CD player won't play burned discs. At first I thought it was just my stereo, but after reading all the forum's about broken CD player no one mentioned the difference between the 99-00 to 01-03 stereos, or the TL, CL's for that matter. Bottom line, you just saved me big bucks, and a headache. THANK YOU, keep up the good work.
I think I will go with an aftermarket stereo. (a low-pro one, so my car doesn't get broken into.)

Also, I have one related question I may post later in a separate forum if I don't find the answer:
I heard that the burning process matters, as far as the stock stereo goes to playing the burned Cd's.
Someone once told me that if I burn my Cd's in a certain matter, I can get them to play. I've seen the proof because some burned Cd's work. But I don't know where I got them from, so I can't find who burned them, or what the difference was.
Any info would be helpful. Please post any (educated, LOL) thoughts you might have on the issue.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by voodo_midget-aliens

Also, I have one related question I may post later in a separate forum if I don't find the answer:
I heard that the burning process matters, as far as the stock stereo goes to playing the burned Cd's.
Someone once told me that if I burn my Cd's in a certain matter, I can get them to play. I've seen the proof because some burned Cd's work. But I don't know where I got them from, so I can't find who burned them, or what the difference was.
Any info would be helpful. Please post any (educated, LOL) thoughts you might have on the issue.
Its all hit and miss. At first mine would only play sony and verbaitum azule blues. then only verbatium. then i had to burn at the slowest speed. What works for some doesnt for others. You need to try and see what works for you. There is no secret method

Get a 02-02 TL radio. they have the least amount of problems. Or the best bet is aftermarket. They can do even more
Old 02-14-2007, 01:52 AM
Advanced

Well, I guess it's your lucky day...

Just so happens, I put a Double-Din Kenwood player in my 2002 TL-S, so I have an OEM Bose head unit that I have no need of.
It works perfertly. Only error it threw for me was when I put in a DVD instead of a CD. Oops! (I have a CD/DVD set for the same performance).

And of course I have the code for the stereo.
And I know it works cause I disconnected the battery once already.
I'll still need the card for my navi but I'll photocopy it for you if your interested.

My car is Navi of course, but donno it that makes a difference

I saw a working one go on Ebay for $250. (only one in the past several MONTHS) and car-part.com listed several ranging from $200 - $500. For a USED stereo!!
I'm not looking to make a fortune, but I'd like to get my money's worth, just in case I ever have to buy one to put back in it.

Make me a good, realistic offer and it's yours!!
Old 03-06-2007, 11:12 PM
8th Gear

TL SPORT...have you sold it yet or is it still for sale? do you know if it will work/be easy to install in a 2000 tl?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:58 AM
04 Black Infiniti I35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger

The dealer wanted 800 for a new unit, and 200 for installation
For that price I can buy a brand new Pioneer navigation system. what a scam!
Old 03-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by J2000TL
TL SPORT...have you sold it yet or is it still for sale? do you know if it will work/be easy to install in a 2000 tl?
Yup still have it... still willing to sell it... know nothing about compatibility with the 2000 model though. Check around. I'm sure someone here knows.