Over heating when A/C is on

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Over heating when A/C is on

Hi, I have a little problem. maybe big problem.
I drive 99 TL stock.. nothing modded.

A couple weeks ago, my car got over heated so I put some water in the radiator, and from that point, if I turn my AC on for about 15 min, my temperature gauge starts rising high and blowing warm air. So If I turn off A/C, the temp gauge needle goes back to normal.

What is the problem with my car? What needs to be replaced? and About how much will it cost?
Old 05-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Pro

According my research, the radiator is very likely at fault here. Overheating this motor is death for it, so don't let that happen.

1st check your cooling fans, make sure they both turn on with the a/c.
2nd pour water ON the radiator, see if the temps come down. If it does, replace the radiator.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I agree to start with the radiator inspection and all the rad hoses- soft hose can collapse and suck in under pressure -stopping flow of coolant
Ck pass side fan comes on when the ac comes on- if not, thats a prob to start with

driver side fan is temp controlled but pass side is electric-direct hookup to ac, its on with ac compressor engaged
and in even of overheat it should come on (may vary by year)

has your timing belt and water pump been replaced- due at 105 but many dont get done on time

look inside the rad -see the metal inside- shiny or not so good looking?
shiny is great!
there is an engine block drain on rear of motor- important to release that to get all old fliud out along with rad drain

coolant goes bad after about 5 years- I know acura says 7 with theirs-- but normal stuff the additives go acidic in an aluminum home in 5 = bad news !!
old coolant does not cool as well

a dieing water pump may not be pushing enough fluid- watch the flow with cap off and 2000 rpm

sometimes a radiator repair shop can take yours apart to clean and reseal- sometimes its cheaper to get an aftermarket one in a box in drop it in

DO NOT drive the car if the temp is going abov half- you will blow a head gasket or much worse-- (not today but within 6 months on average)
get it looked at or you DIY
we are here to help anytime with procedures and tips
good luck!
Old 05-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Team Owner

the extra load of ac is what makes your temp rise

dont use it for now
If you added water to rad there is a serious problem- was the overflow bottle empty
is the rubber hose attached to the inside of overflow/res bottle cap?
that must be in place or the system fails to transfer fluid back and forth with shutdown and temp rise

losing cooling is bad- get a loaner tool from parts store- pressure tester- makes rad go to normal pressure with engine off and any leak will hopefully be obvious

Also - since you lost coolant it probably used some oil to help cool the engine
ck that and keep an eye on it every day- it the level suddenly rises- you blew a head gasket
Old 05-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
did you check your fan? spinning does not mean its drawing enough air thru the fins of the radiator. You should be able to feel the air blowing hard from the fan.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Instructor

thnx for all your helps. I will check those things after work.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Team Owner

I meant test the fan to see if its locked up or blade does spin

then jumper wire the fan connector so it will run
Old 05-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
I meant test the fan to see if its locked up or blade does spin

then jumper wire the fan connector so it will run

I am glad I found you guys on this subject because I have been trying to figure out why my car keeps overheating on hot days with the A/C on. I replaced the thermostat, radiator cap and cooling temp sensor. I know someone said it could be the water pump or clogged radiator but...

Would that keep the fan from cutting on? I know there is a fan switch on the thermostat housing and I was thinking of changing that. I just don't want to swap parts, I want to figure out the problem.

Has anyone checked the relays? Has anyone experienced a bad relay? I just knew it was the thermostat but when I turn on the A/C, the fan doesn't kick on. What could it be guys? Radiator? I got like 190,000 miles on my car. What would you do? I know its not the fan because I jumped the fan and it cut on. I am lost.

2000 TL. 190,000 miles
New Thermostat
New Radiator Cap
New Coolant Temp Sensor

Last edited by deepconcentratn; 05-15-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:36 PM
2003 TL-S w/Navi NBP

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
That passenger side fan is the a/c condenser fan. If it doesn't come on, the refrigerant does not lose the heat it has absorbed, and thus will not cool properly once that refrigerant gets back to the evaporator in the dash. And if it doesn't cool properly in the condenser, it can also transfer that heat into the radiator (right next to it), causing overheating of the coolant and thus the engine.

Check that fan!
Old 05-16-2010, 08:50 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jdjohn84
That passenger side fan is the a/c condenser fan. If it doesn't come on, the refrigerant does not lose the heat it has absorbed, and thus will not cool properly once that refrigerant gets back to the evaporator in the dash. And if it doesn't cool properly in the condenser, it can also transfer that heat into the radiator (right next to it), causing overheating of the coolant and thus the engine.

Check that fan!
I checked the fan and it works. I jumped it off the battery and it came on with no problem. I might just pull the radiator and have it serviced. I hope it works
Old 05-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Advanced

Let me ask you this. My passenger side fan is running but when I turn the A/C on the Driver side fan does not run. Which one is the condenser fan and which one is the radiator fan?
Old 05-16-2010, 12:46 PM
2003 TL-S w/Navi NBP

The passenger side fan is the a/c condenser fan, and driver side is radiator fan. The radiator fan may not run all the time, but usually does when sitting idling for any length of time. While driving, outside air flows through the radiator and helps it cool, but when stopped, of course the fan is necessary. It won't come on if you crank it cold, but when at operating temperature and idling, it should come on.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sojue
Hi, I have a little problem. maybe big problem.
I drive 99 TL stock.. nothing modded.

A couple weeks ago, my car got over heated so I put some water in the radiator, and from that point, if I turn my AC on for about 15 min, my temperature gauge starts rising high and blowing warm air. So If I turn off A/C, the temp gauge needle goes back to normal.

What is the problem with my car? What needs to be replaced? and About how much will it cost?
If you have not yet replaced your radiator and condenser fan motor ,they (armature carbon brush) are just about worn todate.
Replace both fan motors w brand new ones as summer is fast approaching...they are easy to do really.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
As 4thmeal mentioned, but is often glossed over, BOTH fans should come with the air conditioner. Yes I know one is called the condensor fan, and one called the radiator fan, but they both should come on with the ac.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i am haveing the same problem if you figure it out let me know
Old 05-26-2010, 05:26 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dc2kid
i am haveing the same problem if you figure it out let me know
the issue can be completely different on your car idk, but basically what it is, is that your cooling system is not up to snuff/shape anymore, so it needs to be fully inspected (turning on the A/C just exaggerates the problem btw, since it is just putting warmer air over the radiator)
Old 05-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Racer

well when i put it on and drive the temp goes up and when i turn it off it goes back to normal but when the car is parked and ac is on its at the temp is normal im gonna have the coolant flush and see if that helps
Old 05-26-2010, 06:24 PM
B A N N E D

well when i put it on and drive the temp goes up and when i turn it off it goes back to normal but when the car is parked and ac is on its at the temp is normal im gonna have the coolant flush and see if that helps
because the a/c keeps trying to cycle on, and put excessive heat into the radiator

and you say parked, do you mean with the tranny in park or gear, if so, the tranny is not adding any additional heat from the torque convertor, and your cooling system is able to cope with that

also how long does it take the car to warm up, does it seem to take forever, or is quite normal, especially with this warmer weather, it should basically be fully warmed withen like a 1 mile or two, if not sooner
Old 05-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Racer

it warms up pretty fast since it hot outside and i mean when i start the car and its in park and ac is on the temp stays normal
Old 05-26-2010, 06:59 PM
B A N N E D

it warms up pretty fast since it hot outside and i mean when i start the car and its in park and ac is on the temp stays normal
just seeing if maybe your thermostat was patially stuck closed

but you might also have a blocked radiator externally (not too hard to fix, just blow it out and wash)(airflow) or internally (coolant flow)(might be able to be cleaned, but easier to just to get a new one)

and considering if you do do the radiator, i would also just put in a new thermostat to be on the safe side, let alone not that expensive

however you look at it, the cooling system is not able to disapate enough heat, when the tranny is in gear (which puts additional heat in it), and basically even if with the a/c on the temp needle should stay dead still, and not raise at all with a good cooling system in there
Old 05-26-2010, 07:48 PM
2003 TL-S w/Navi NBP

OP never responded as to whether his fan(s) are coming on. dc2kid needs to check his fans as well.
Hard for us to conjecture further without knowing about the fans.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Racer

my fans are working recently the weather here has been very hot so in the morning for a while the with ac on the car will temp will be normal half way throught sometimes its raises up so i will turn it off but after 5-6 when the weather starts to get better the temp wont rise it will be normal anyone know waht the problem could be?
Old 07-15-2010, 08:24 PM
B A N N E D

my fans are working recently the weather here has been very hot so in the morning for a while the with ac on the car will temp will be normal half way throught sometimes its raises up so i will turn it off but after 5-6 when the weather starts to get better the temp wont rise it will be normal anyone know waht the problem could be?
cooling system is not up to spec (good chance that the radiator is partially blocked, but just guessing though)
Old 07-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Racer

hey do you think its becuase i need to fill my ac? i do not know when the previous owner filled the freon but people have told me could be my fan sensor or maybe the thermostat is bad?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:50 PM
B A N N E D

hey do you think its becuase i need to fill my ac? i do not know when the previous owner filled the refrigerant but people have told me could be my fan sensor or maybe the thermostat is bad?
fixed

if anything a properly functioning ac would make the engine temp go up (due to it preheating the air for the radiator)

so in your case more then likely nothing to do with your A/C