OMG! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! Soda spill!

Old 06-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry OMG! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! Soda spill!

God must hate me...I love my wife, but the bitch does not belong anywhere near a car, how the fuck do you spill Soda all over the interior of a car when we're not even moving!

UGH, long story short, my wonderful Bose system is crapped out...i get no sound from the four mains (Front or Rear), only from the sub, and it sounds like its underwater, the CD player wont EJECT MY CD's! The tape deck only ejects the tape if it feels like it, to top it all off the VOLUME won't work (it takes me like ten turns for it to go up, but once up, it won't go down no matter how many times I turn it the other way!) So i'm about to freaking cry because I am so freaking pee'd off at my wife and I'm so freaking sad about my car!

I cleaned up as much of the Soda on the surfaces as I could, got that crap can get EVERYWHERE! It was on the seats, in between the seats, on the windows, in the creases on the doors, on the dash, in the creases in the dash, all over the instrument panel, all over the windshield (interior), all over the steering wheel...GOD, this is making me so PISSED!

does anyone have any advice? I'm a cheap ass so I don't want to have to go to the dealer and get reamed for labor just so I can get the internals cleaned. Does anyone know if the 02 TL-S Bose Head Unit has its own internal fuse?

God, someone help me!

:angryfire
Old 06-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
First off RELAX. Accidents happen. If the radio is powered up at all its not a fuse. Soda is most likely wreaking havoc on the radio. You could probably bring it to a radio repair shop and let them try to repair it or just look for a used OEM radio from a salvage yard or ebay.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Cruisin'

Yeh, sorry bout that earlier, just needed to vent and blow off some steam...so thanks for humoring me, I am chill....anyway, so yeh, I took a second look at the radio once I got settled in and yep, its still crapped out.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
If the radio is powered up at all its not a fuse. Soda is most likely wreaking havoc on the radio.
Hmmm...so your saying that yes since the radio unit does still power up when i depress the power on/off button, it has no fuse inside the head unit or its not a problem with the fuse IN the head unit at all? Is there a way to get behind all the trim and get into the radio so I can get some rubbing alcohol into some of the parts that are exposed somewhat and clean them off?

Save me jebus!
Old 06-16-2007, 09:43 AM
pwnage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have my stock head unit from my 99 TL if it fits. I would cut you a nice deal as I have no need for it. PM me.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Did your wife have sex with Dr. Pepper in your car?
Old 06-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Gatzuko
Yeh, sorry bout that earlier, just needed to vent and blow off some steam...so thanks for humoring me, I am chill....anyway, so yeh, I took a second look at the radio once I got settled in and yep, its still crapped out.

Hmmm...so your saying that yes since the radio unit does still power up when i depress the power on/off button, it has no fuse inside the head unit or its not a problem with the fuse IN the head unit at all? Is there a way to get behind all the trim and get into the radio so I can get some rubbing alcohol into some of the parts that are exposed somewhat and clean them off?

Save me jebus!
Yes thats what im saying.
Well you could take the radio out of the car take it apart and try cleaning it but i kinda doubt it will work. The damage is most likely already done. Best bet is to search for a new radio from a 02-03
Old 06-18-2007, 02:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Soseductivesf
Did your wife have sex with Dr. Pepper in your car?

Anyway, I think I would DEFINATELY turn everything off, maybe even unhook the batter, and let everything dry off. It very may well be that in a few hours, or overnight, everything could work fine. I had an old accord and spilled drink all over the dash....the lights crapped out for a few minutes but when everthing dried, all was not lost. How did she get soda EVERYWHERE anyway? I'm thinking about adopting a no food/drink policy for my car.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:25 PM
'12 & '13 AL West Champs!

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Damn!!! Did you piss her off or something? Think back. Seriously, how could a spilled soda get EVERYWHERE! It sounds like she shook a can and sprayed it when she opened it. Anyways that sucks, you should check eBay for a used one. They seem to go for about $200.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:54 AM
Cruisin'

***UPDATE***

So after cleaning the interior, (A three hour detailing job done by yours truly), I let the car sit for a few days. I just hoped and prayed that it wasn't as bad as it had looked. Well, for whatever reason I now have sound back on the four mains and the sub seems to be working fine. Tape works fine also. I do have glitch issues now with the radio station presets - they seem to be under the wrong presets now so when I push the 5 preset button, i get the preset station under the 6 button...wierd no? Also, the volume knob does not work, I can only turn the sound up or down from my steering wheel controls. The CD player (which I don't use anyway) won't open when i hit the load button so thats probably shot.

I made an appointment with my local dealer here and I know the guy in the service department. I'll know more by this weekend.

On a personal note...so yeh, after i stopped being hysterical (two hours after the detailing job), I asked the wife what happened. She had gone grocery shopping and bought a pack of soda in cans, she put them in the trunk and had one in the car on the way home (less than a 4 blocks from the grocery store. She says it blew up on her in the car when she opened it while she was at a stop (Yeh sure), and that the radio was fine when she pulled up to the house.

Ugh, as much as I hate what happened, I should recant the whole wife is a bitch thing, i was out of my mind for a few hours there. Imagine how you would feel if you started your car and you noticed dried soda spill all over the interior?

Thanks for the help anyways all, more updates by next week to come
Old 06-19-2007, 02:04 AM
Cruisin'

BTW, a no food or UNBOTTLED Beverage policy has been instituded and will be strictly enforced...thanks for the heads up CEO
Old 06-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gatzuko
BTW, a no food or UNBOTTLED Beverage policy has been instituded and will be strictly enforced...thanks for the heads up CEO
No problem! It almost has to be...our cars are too nice to risk soda/juice all over the car, or anywhere in the car, or fries under the seats etc... I've had my car for a little over a week, and my gf and her daughter (3) ate breakfast in the car yesterday.... ..... I didn't say anything, but I will lay down the law eventually!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Instructor

I dont let anyone even drink water in my baby!
Old 06-20-2007, 12:03 PM
運転することを愛

You can find used factory radios pretty cheap in comparison to the price of new if you keep your eyes open. Check ebay and our FS forums on here.

Your first post made me laugh.