My headlight has gone crazy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 11:24 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My headlight has gone crazy!!!

I have a '99 TL and my passenger side headlight is acting funny. I had the passenger side headlight replaced about a few months ago after a fuse blew and ended up ruining the original headlight. Now the new headlight is nice and bright but goes out at random times and comes back at random times. I can turn on the lights when I leave work and by the time I get home the passenger side one has turned off. In the morning the light works fine again but turns itself off at some point. Its only the new passenger side headlight that does this. I'm afraid to take it to the dealership because they'll charge me another outrageous price to fix it ($175 just for the new HID bulb!!). Does anybody here have any idea what's going on?? I also don't want to sink too much cash into the car because I'm planning on trading it in within the next 3 months for something new.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like an igniter/ballast problem on that pass side. Could also be a short in the wiring between the harness and the electrical distribution coming from the battery. I know that is a broad range, but something to think about. The dealership should of been able to determine that when you had it fixed the first time. Good luck, that sucks!
Old 08-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Srb
00 ssm

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
ive got the same problem on my 2000 tl. Passenger side randomly goes out. it comes right back on after i switch the lights off and on. i took apart the whole headlight a week a ago and put it back together to check to see if there was some loose connection somewhere. at first the light seemed to always stay on but after a few days it started to go out again...
Old 08-21-2008, 07:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Igniter / Ballast problem

If you are a do-it-yourself kind of person, you can quickly diagnose the problem by swapping out parts from either side to either side. It could be the ballast (the box), the igniter (basically the cord from box to bulb) or the bulb. Troubleshoot by swapping them out and eliminating the problem part. Then go shopping. Remember to wear clean cotton gloves when handling the bulb, as they can't have any contaminants on them.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Cruisin'

Unhappy Similar headlight issue on '02 CL

I'm having a similar issue with my 2002 CL Type S. The difference is that my low beam and my road lamp on my passenger side don't come on at all...everything else works fine (High beams, blinkers). Even after i switch on/off the low beam and road lamp don't come on any more. What should I check first...i already checked fuse which is not blown? Is this an igniter or ballast issue?

Appreciate the help...
Old 04-15-2009, 02:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

i had that prob when i first got my car but than it stopped. i had a prob where the bulb it self started going pink on me and than one day one side like went really red
Old 04-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Cruisin'

thinhthan...thanks for the feedback..but back to my original question. Does the road lamp and low beam headlight go out at the same time if the probelm is with the ballast or is it a different problem.

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by elacura02
thinhthan...thanks for the feedback..but back to my original question. Does the road lamp and low beam headlight go out at the same time if the probelm is with the ballast or is it a different problem.

Thanks.
Ballast and igniter is localised to that particular LOW BEAM LIGHT.
Seems like you have a problem with the wire harness.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts
I'll add my story. My passenger headlight flashes like disco only early in the morning and primarily when turning to the right. I haven't taken the time to troubleshoot yet, but if I do, I'll try to remember this thread and post my findings.

In my situation, the bulbs have been replaced once.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Safety Car

F'd da police

I really need to get looking into this issue. Anymore, the right headlight flickers madly when going around turns, then eventually dies.

This morning I dodged a bullet. On the interstate, I passed a cop on the shoulder who had his lights on. He pulled out and picked me so I pulled over. I had kind of prepared myself for this eventuality, so I clicked my headlights off.

The cop comes to the window gets my paperwork and asks "do you know you have a headlight out?" I just responded: "uhhhhhhhhh" and clicked the headlights back on. Of course both headlights lit up because I wasn't moving, so the cop walks up front and checks, then comes back and says "whatever you did, it's working now. You're good to go."

Although I sounded like a retard, I'm glad I didn't say anything either way, because it would either be lying or admission, either of which would probably have gotten me a ticket. Now to get this crap fixed before a situation like that happens again.

I hope it's a loose wire and not a failing ballast.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Instructor

check on ebay for the bulbs...they're much cheaper than dealer prices
Old 01-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Safety Car

Ok, I finally got around to changing my bulbs. I had swapped the bulbs between sides and then the driver's side was going out, so at least it wasn't the ballasts. The bad thing is now both sides were flickering. In one case, they both went out. Not so much fun when it happens in the dark.

So when I took the bulbs out for the final time, I saw this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anachostic/4316240724/
and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anachostic/4316240588
The most obvious reason for their flashing should be the broken insulation on the wire (the ignitor?). I don't doubt that I knocked it around a bit when putting the bulbs in.