I've Got A Suspension Noise I Just Can't Isolate!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 04:59 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've Got A Suspension Noise I Just Can't Isolate!!

OK, so i've got some front passenger side noises. i thought maybe it was the motor mount at first and changing it didn't help. my swaybar is tight, the shocks and springs are only about 30k miles old but i checked them for any signs of breakage and didn't see anything. i checked all the bolts in and around the wheel hub area and everything is tight.

the noise doesn't always happen though, only when i go over particularly big or deep bumps. and it sounds like it's high up towards the engine bay but all the strut tower bolts are tight, so i'm pretty stumped. any ideas???

Bob (SSTS)
Old 11-07-2006, 04:29 PM
KidWiTh2kTL

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i had the same problem. i think your coilovers are not tightened al the way. whenever i went over a bump, it would making a sorta clicking sound. check your port holes where your coilovers is in, i don't think its centered. i took mines to les schwab and my friend fixed it for me for free. i guess just jack up the car and tighten it because my was almost falling off. it happens with a lot of aftermarket coilovers. hope this helps
Old 11-07-2006, 08:37 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

hoangtanle, dude! great call! so i finally got tired of waiting and just took the shock out. sure as shit there was a broken piece from the top hat. when you flip it over there is a little metal cup on the underside that sits on the bushing. it rusted and broke off from hitting potholes and i guess the whole assembly isn't tight enough because i could hear it rattling around when i took the shock out.

thanks for the help!

SSTS
Old 11-08-2006, 07:53 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

ok, so this morning i was thinking, that little metal cup is essentially what supports the weight of the strut tower on the top bushing of the shock assembly. i removed it since it was broken but maybe i should have just epoxied it back on.

my concern is that if i hit a large bump the bushing and rod of the shock would push right through the opening in the tophat and ram my hood. is this valid or unlikely given the stiffness of the bushing and size of the hole in the tophat?

anyone??
Old 11-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Punctuation Nazi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just noticed that my car was doing this yesterday. So the solution is that the cap that goes on top of the struts is bad/loose?

Anyone know a good place to get this looked at in Mpls, MN? I just moved up here and have not found anyplace I can work on my car yet, so I guess I have to pay someone...
Old 11-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Both of you should buy new top hats
Old 11-12-2006, 02:49 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Both of you should buy new top hats
yeah i actually have them on order right now for the front left and right because i think my front left is fubared also. i think i'm going to jb weld it in the meantime. i never expected they would rust and break off like that. i hit a bear cub with my taurus once and that didn't even happen.

Bob
Old 11-12-2006, 02:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I highly doubt jb will hold. You know what kind of pressure its under.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:10 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I highly doubt jb will hold. You know what kind of pressure its under.
true. although i'd be curious to see how long it holds in the meantime. might be an interesting science experiment.....

Bob
Old 12-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Banned

when u heard this sound, did u hear it like right infront of u in the cabin? ig ot the same prob, i changed my front motor mount, half the noise went away but when i go over big bumps i hear it also, i went under my car today, checked everything, nothing is loose nor brooken...

just wanna know where did u hear the sound, i hear mine like right under my foots.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:43 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

hey penance, sorry for the delay. yes, the noise was real high up, almost like it was in the cabin. you should be able to tell that it's coming from the top of the shock tower. and it was a metallic noise. not the noise like a banging sway bar makes.

Bob
Old 12-30-2006, 08:21 AM
10th Gear

Hi to all! so did anyone eventually overcome this crappy sound? if so, then can you share how you did it, did it need to change any parts? if so, then what are the parts' numbers?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:07 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by sharkon
Hi to all! so did anyone eventually overcome this crappy sound? if so, then can you share how you did it, did it need to change any parts? if so, then what are the parts' numbers?
hey dude, welcome to the board. and yes, you'll see a couple of posts up that i isolated this noise to a broken "top hat" on my passenger side front shock tower assembly. this is called a FRONT BASE, illustration #5, item #35689 on the parts site. it shows only one description, meaning no separate left-side/right-side parts, just one part, although for some reason i think there should be a separate one. i'll have to look at mine again to be sure. they're cheap though. only about $15 each.

SSTS
Old 01-03-2007, 04:09 AM
10th Gear

SatinSilverTypS, thanx for your reply. The problem is that i don't know which catalogue you're using, i'm using http://www.acuraoemparts.com, do you know the OEM number of the part?
Also, recently I've noticed some squeaking sound which appears only during longitudinal swaying while i'm driving downwards (the front of the car is located lower relatively to the back of the car). The sound doesnt go from the suspension, but from the trunk, have you ever noticed anything like that? I'm not the native english-speaker, so maybe i don't know some of the special terms in english, hope you inderstand what i mean.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:47 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

hey sharkon, on the oem catalogue just go to "front shock absorber" and it's illustration #5, part number 51675-S84-A01, "Base, Fr. Fork Mounting".

as for your other noise, if you're getting noise under longitudinal motion from the trunk then maybe it's the bushings on your rear shocks. what kind of springs do you have now? it they're old it's possible they could be broken or in need of replacement.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:34 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
hey sharkon, on the oem catalogue just go to "front shock absorber" and it's illustration #5, part number 51675-S84-A01, "Base, Fr. Fork Mounting".

as for your other noise, if you're getting noise under longitudinal motion from the trunk then maybe it's the bushings on your rear shocks. what kind of springs do you have now? it they're old it's possible they could be broken or in need of replacement.
ok, thanx a lot for respond!
as for the other squeaking noise, it goes not from the wheels, but from the trunk, maybe even from near the rear window...
Old 01-03-2007, 09:33 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by sharkon
ok, thanx a lot for respond!
as for the other squeaking noise, it goes not from the wheels, but from the trunk, maybe even from near the rear window...
no problem man and your rear shocks actually mount just under the rear window behind the headrests of the backseat. if you take the back seat out and the carpeted tray in the rear window thats how you access the bolts to the shocks. so it sounds likely to me that could be your issue. it's still tough to say whether your problem would be your bushings or the springs themselves.