Instrument Cluster light not working.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 06:43 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Instrument Cluster light not working.

tired replacing bulbs fuses etc. but to no avail.stuck dont know what to do
Old 11-07-2013, 06:46 PM
4th Gear

everything works just fine except the dash lights all fuses good,its on a 2002 acura tl 3.2
Old 11-07-2013, 11:45 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 253 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Shawn Robertson
everything works just fine except the dash lights all fuses good,its on a 2002 acura tl 3.2
Under the sunroof and foglight switches theres the dimmer adjust it if not the problem is elsewhere.
The following users liked this post:
Shawn Robertson (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 06:23 PM
4th Gear

Still no dash lights ,New bulbs, junkyard dimmer but this one is little different it has the all on switch but plug is the same.i do have passenger side headlight out it needs a ballast would that do it?
Old 11-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Recheck fuse #9 (7.5A) located in the driver's side underdash fuse panel and also fuse #13(7.5A) located in the passenger side's panel. Could be something loose behind the dash panel such as a poor connection or ground ? Try checking for power at the dimmer. Maybe a problem with the multiplex unit or switch if all else proves ok.
Shawn Robertson (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 06:08 PM
4th Gear

dash lights

all fuses are good except the one for the right side headlight,the ballast is blown could that be the issue?
Old 01-01-2014, 12:07 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Did you ever get this resolved?
I just bought a 2002 TL Type-S, and am having the same issues...no instrument cluster lights when I turn the headlights on (or climate control lights). I turn the lights on and the Odometer/Temp lights go dark too. Fuses are good, replaced the dimmer switch.

I've seen a lot of threads about people with this issue but no one saying how they fixed it (when it's not the fuses).

I've also read somewhere it may be the dashboard wiring harness but I would probably directly wire up a backlight in the instrument cluster before replacing the dashboard wiring harness.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Welcome 2002TL-Type-S !!!
If all else fails, ya may want to make sure the the dash panel's wiring harness connectors are all secure.
Check the "DIY"s and try searching previous threads on procedure tips.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Question, Do you hear a continuous beep when inserting the key in the ignition switch with the door open ?
The fuses might look good but are they getting power, a test light is mandatory to pin point the issue.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:48 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ErickUa5
Question, Do you hear a continuous beep when inserting the key in the ignition switch with the door open ?
The fuses might look good but are they getting power, a test light is mandatory to pin point the issue.
Yes I do get the beep.

I guess the needles are supposed to be illuminated when you start the car too...none for me (with or without headlights). No Shifter lights either in the console (I have the PRND5 lights in dash, but those go out when I turn the headlights on). Also my cruise control light works, but when I turn on the headlights it goes off too. However the VSA light will come on when the headlights are on (if I turn the VSA off).

The odometer/temp gauge is bright, until I turn the headlights on. Then it goes dark.

And it's not just the instrument cluster lights, it's also the climate control lights...when headlights are off, the climate display is illuminated. When I turn the headlights on the display goes dark (and before I replaced the stock radio the radio lights would shut off when I turned the headlights on).

So since it's spread out over multiple systems I wouldn't think it would be something like a loose harness. Also I did check the climate control harnesses when I bypassed the factory EQ to get the sub working.

Driver's multiplex unit, maybe? I'm thinking I just need to take it to my mechanic ask him to fix it, or tell me what is wrong.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:45 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Theres still hope, The combination switch is the issue from what i see on the diagram.
Does the license plate and side marker light up when the headlights are on ?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:46 PM
10th Gear

Theres still hope, The combination switch is the issue from what i see on the diagram.
Yes they do. I've poured through the Alldata diagrams and can't make sense of them.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:48 PM
10th Gear

I've blown the "Small Lights" fuse so I know what it looks like when it's out!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:55 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Service manual is much better for this issue.
I didn't connect the dimmer on mine and it still lit up the dash just no control on how bright you want it. See what results you get from that test.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:13 PM
10th Gear

Disconnecting the dimmer entirely just results in the same: no activity whatsoever on the dash lights.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:22 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Arrow

Heres the Diagram, use a test light for quicker results
Alex Bernardo (10-25-2015)
Old 01-16-2014, 09:26 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for the diagram. Where would you suggest I wire up the test light?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Ground the test light to a metal surface then verify that it lights up by testing a known good circuit (a fuse behind the fuse panel). The diagram shows RED/BLK to be a positive, test that circuit, if it the test light lights up and no lights on the dash come up theres a problem on the ground side of the circuit.
2002TL-Type-S (02-15-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Originally Posted by 2002TL-Type-S
I've blown the "Small Lights" fuse so I know what it looks like when it's out!
Check the connectors on the combination switch it could be a melted connector.
Before buying parts its a good idea to check stuff like this.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:09 PM
10th Gear

Update:

It was the driver's multiplex unit! I replaced the drivers fuse box and multiplex unit with one I found on eBay for $60. Took maybe 90 minutes to do, and now I have dash lights!

Erick, that diagram was awesome because it pretty much listed every system that was not working. Thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails Instrument Cluster light not working.-img_2603.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by 2002TL-Type-S:
ErickUa5 (02-21-2014), SuperGreg (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 09:18 AM
6th Gear

Very informational thread! I am having a similar problem in that my dashboard cluster lights are not coming on. Other symptoms I have noticed: the alarm that should go off when I leave my lights on and take my keys out doesn't work & the light that illuminates my ash tray/coin holder doesn't work. I've checked my fuses and all appear to be fine.

So my initial instinct is that I could buy a drivers side multiplex unit and see if replacing that would help. However, when I turn on my lights, my headlights work but my rear lights do not come on. If I am reading everything correctly, those lights are controlled by a fuse in the fuse box under the hood of my car. So now it isn't making sense as that appears to have nothing to do with the drivers side fuse box??

Another question I have is can the drivers side multiplex unit work partially? For example, my dashboard cluster light is not working, but my turn signals are. And both fuses appear to be in that same unit.

My car is a 2003 TL Type S.

Any help at all would be appreciated!
Old 04-07-2016, 12:10 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by hanny2042
Very informational thread! I am having a similar problem in that my dashboard cluster lights are not coming on. Other symptoms I have noticed: the alarm that should go off when I leave my lights on and take my keys out doesn't work & the light that illuminates my ash tray/coin holder doesn't work. I've checked my fuses and all appear to be fine.

So my initial instinct is that I could buy a drivers side multiplex unit and see if replacing that would help. However, when I turn on my lights, my headlights work but my rear lights do not come on. If I am reading everything correctly, those lights are controlled by a fuse in the fuse box under the hood of my car. So now it isn't making sense as that appears to have nothing to do with the drivers side fuse box??

Another question I have is can the drivers side multiplex unit work partially? For example, my dashboard cluster light is not working, but my turn signals are. And both fuses appear to be in that same unit.

My car is a 2003 TL Type S.

Any help at all would be appreciated!
^^Your small light or similar fuse is blown out on the passenger side kick panel. When my tail lights would not work that was the issue.

I have the same issue in my newly acquired 03 CLS6. None of the instrument cluster lights, switches, radio, or climate control light up when I turn my parking lights or headlights on. The odometer back light is bright at first and turns dark when the parking lights are on.

I have checked every connector for power and ground on every problem area and the one thing I found is the solid red wire is a ground going to the driver multiplex unit and it has power running through it when the parking lights are turned on.

This red wire is the same wire that goes to every affected area and it goes directly into the micu. What is funny is I depinnned the red wire from the micu and hooked it up to a body ground and it still does the same thing. Next order of business is to put in a good used micu to see if that fixes the problem.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:42 AM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2002TL-Type-S
Update:

It was the driver's multiplex unit! I replaced the drivers fuse box and multiplex unit with one I found on eBay for $60. Took maybe 90 minutes to do, and now I have dash lights!

Erick, that diagram was awesome because it pretty much listed every system that was not working. Thanks so much!
Thanks lot for posting your findings and solution. I have similar issue and will try this. In my case all gauges odometer, speed, fuel, temp, don’t work and no lights on dash when key is on II position. Headlight, signals, radio, everything else work just no gauges.
NEILL0608 (05-02-2019)
Old 05-04-2018, 11:20 PM
8th Gear

2002 mdx gauge cluster not working. Any help appreciated.

After installing after market radio JVC, my 2002 mdx have issue with all gauges.
1. All gauges stopped working and no lights except battery light and couple of other.
2. No Ligths for fuel, srs airbag, cruise, vtm4, ...most doesn’t work.
3. When turn headlight, cluster has backlight. Headlight, signal, radio, all works except all the gauges and related lights.
4. When I put key it does beep just fine.

anyohe has similar issue? Any help
Old 05-11-2018, 07:48 PM
8th Gear

Problem resolved which was caused by After market radio installation.
all fuses were fine. multiplex was fine. Tried replacing but did not solve.
Tried new ignition switch but did not work.
used dashboard resolved the problem.
hope this helps someone.
NEILL0608 (05-02-2019)
Old 05-11-2018, 07:48 PM
8th Gear

hope this helps someone.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:23 AM
1st Gear

Exclamation Cluster funk of problems

I have a 2002 Acura TL Base.
Basically my issue started a month ago, one night when i was driving at night my headlights turned off while i was driving... after about a day of not having any clue what the issue was i got mad and kicked center (right side , next to the accelerator pedal, idk the technical term.) and well it worked...... for about a week. then the issue would happen again where my headlights would turn off while i drive. It got worse over time though, my AC would also turn off and on when my headlights would go out. Then my AC would do the same thing even when I didn't have my headlights on during the day.. I have absolutely no idea what the issue is other than it being an electrical issue. But I don't exactly know what.. I need some help immediately,
(Also my cruise control doesn't work but that's not important right now)
Old 07-07-2019, 09:20 AM
8th Gear

I replaced dashboard with used dashboard one from eBay.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:44 AM
1st Gear

cluster can it effect starting car

Originally Posted by Shawn Robertson
tired replacing bulbs fuses etc. but to no avail.stuck dont know what to do
can bad cluster effect the cars starting?
Old 08-30-2019, 12:10 PM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Leo Bougioukas
can bad cluster effect the cars starting?
I sincerely doubt that it can, the dashboard just outputs information from other sections of the car. Now, if part of the dash isn't working because it's not getting information from another part of the car, that could be an issue somewhere else in the car that you need to look at.
What's going on with your car?
Old 11-06-2019, 10:42 PM
1st Gear

Got question

so I got a question if it was the aftermarket stereo what was it cause I have same problems and have a radio put in it but i don’t see anything stereo wise that would have to be hooked up to continue power of dash lights I got a whole mother plug that isn’t hooked up but dk where it would go as I just got the car.
Originally Posted by 2002acuramdx

hope this helps someone.
Old 12-06-2022, 02:23 PM
Cruisin'

Can we get some professional advice on this issue

Originally Posted by Micah Lapacek
so I got a question if it was the aftermarket stereo what was it cause I have same problems and have a radio put in it but i don’t see anything stereo wise that would have to be hooked up to continue power of dash lights I got a whole mother plug that isn’t hooked up but dk where it would go as I just got the car.
professional advice would be nice sorry but no need to replace your whole dash and all light for this problem especially after installing an aftermarket stereo it’s obviously a wiring issue. Wish I could get bob to word his comment on this again in different wording for slow folks like me BOB COME BACK WE NEED YOU!