HID Bulb Socket (Igniter?) Burnt/Melted

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 09:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question HID Bulb Socket (Igniter?) Burnt/Melted

Hi all- about a year ago, the driver's side headlight went out, so I bought an aftermarket HID bulb and replaced it. All was working well for a few months but then it went out again. Recently went out to swap for another bulb and noticed the socket (believe this is referred to as the HID igniter?) was all burned up and the plastic melted. I cleaned up as best I could and replaced the bulb, it worked for a day then went out again.

Picture attached.

My questions are:

- Should I replace just the socket (igniter), and is it an easy swap (plugged connection) or do I need to solder a new one on? How easy is the igniter plug end to access?
- What's the cheapest place to get a new igniter? I do see some on ebay...
- Any thoughts on the root cause as to what would cause the igniter to burn up?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-20-2017, 09:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
That doesn't look like an OEM igniter to me. Replace the entire system:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ma...epair-kit.html

Make sure to pick the D2R bulb. this will make it plug and play with the existing OEM wiring.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:48 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thoiboi
That doesn't look like an OEM igniter to me. Replace the entire system:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ma...epair-kit.html

Make sure to pick the D2R bulb. this will make it plug and play with the existing OEM wiring.
It should be OEM, the car has been in the family since new. Not looking to spend $170, just replaced the faulty components, which appear to just be the igniter for now.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:16 PM
Intermediate

Correction: "replace" (future tense), not "replaced" (past tense) in my previous post. Can't edit post due to being a newer member.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Igniter, Hid
https://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-parts/2003/acura/tl-sedan/tl-navi-trim/5-speed-automatic-engine/electrical-exhaust-heater-fuel-cat/headlight-02-03-scat

Buy this igniter for 185 bucks instead then
Old 09-20-2017, 02:38 PM
Intermediate

Huh?
See: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...niter&_sacat=0
Old 09-20-2017, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Sweet. THen just buy that ebay replacement and plug it into the ballast and hope that'll fix that.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 171 Posts
OP. Tried to message you but I guess you have restriction on PM. You have question on LED light bulb. I have my friend help me install it as he splice some wire. The LED is a lot brighter than the HID. I even installed LED on my foglight as well. I will ask my friend how he wire it up for me. For a set of LED bulb it runs me $90
Old 09-22-2017, 01:56 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KB1Spec
OP. Tried to message you but I guess you have restriction on PM. You have question on LED light bulb. I have my friend help me install it as he splice some wire. The LED is a lot brighter than the HID. I even installed LED on my foglight as well. I will ask my friend how he wire it up for me. For a set of LED bulb it runs me $90
Thanks KB1Spec...LED headlights are my backup plan if they are easy enough to wire up.

On my Corvette, I replaced the halogen headlights with LED lights and it was a world of a difference...but that was plug-and-play.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Sweet. THen just buy that ebay replacement and plug it into the ballast and hope that'll fix that.
Thanks! Just ordered. Is the igniter plug end easy to access on the driver's side by removing the airbox, or does the bumper need to come off? Believe the bumper only needs to come off if you're replacing the ballast, right?
Old 09-22-2017, 05:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 171 Posts
Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
Thanks KB1Spec...LED headlights are my backup plan if they are easy enough to wire up.

On my Corvette, I replaced the halogen headlights with LED lights and it was a world of a difference...but that was plug-and-play.
It is not hard to wire it up. Took my friend 10 minutes on both side.