HELP!!! Problems with car

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! Problems with car

Hi guys,

I have a 2001 CL-S. Automatic. Driving the other day and my car starts slipping while going into third gear. Slip whether I'm in tiptronic mode or just regular auto mode. Continue to drive and all of a sudden my check engine light, VSA light and traction light goes on. The gears will no longer engage. Stop the car put it in park. Put it in drive, car won't move. Lights are still on. The D5 gear keeps blinking. All my gear lights are blinking now. Turn the car off turn it back on. Struggle to go into reverse and drive. When it finally does get into a gear it shakes. Continue to drive, no longer wants to go into third gear and the lights all go on again. Cycles over everytime I start the car. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Race Director

Your tranny is dead. Acura has a 7 year 109k warranty on it so if its not over that take it to the nearest acura dealer.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I am ASSUMING the CL and TL share a transmission

So next step is go to www.acura.com the ownership experience link- register your car by VIN number and create an account- its free
THAT will tell you of the transmission warranty- good to 7 years 109k miles whichever first
also has info on extended warranty on seat belt sensors and things.

IF IF IF you are within the limits, call your local ACURA dealer and have the car TOWED by the Dealer TO the Dealer
thats included as part of warranty

You have described nearly every symptom of transmission failure
The only thing it has yet to surprise you with is the sudden downshift to 2nd on the freeway
Thrilling is an understatement to anyone riding your tail
So many of them do it before 70k that Acura had to extend the covered time

The dealer will write a work order with estimate of $150 dont worry that just legal stuff so they can look at your car.
Mechanic checks the codes/drives and says Needs Transmission- Warranty item
A new invoice is written for warranty- you pay nothing- if over limits you can work deals for partial payment plus extended warranty on replacement.
The replacements are different in certain oil passages and other updates.

Sometimes (on the TL-dont know about the CL) the front motor mount is bad and you wont know it- but they will see it.
Must fix item- and the part is $120 and labor about $30 when the trans is already removed.

When available, dealers will give you a loaner car- usually a TSX or an new TL since your car will be down a few days while they get the part

Most dealers also wash and vac your car while they have it.

Hope this answers your questions and good luck
Please post your current mileage and results of calls and service

Also call Acura customer Care at 1-800-382-2238 x 5 6 a- 5 p pacific time
Register with them as well and tell them what the trans did.
They will tell you the same things I just did so you have verification

Again My Disclaimer- I drive a TL and base all this on my recent experience of trans failure
CL may be different acura .com is your first step

Good Luck
Old 02-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
I am ASSUMING the CL and TL share a transmission

So next step is go to www.acura.com the ownership experience link- register your car by VIN number and create an account- its free
THAT will tell you of the transmission warranty- good to 7 years 109k miles whichever first
also has info on extended warranty on seat belt sensors and things.

IF IF IF you are within the limits, call your local ACURA dealer and have the car TOWED by the Dealer TO the Dealer
thats included as part of warranty

You have described nearly every symptom of transmission failure
The only thing it has yet to surprise you with is the sudden downshift to 2nd on the freeway
Thrilling is an understatement to anyone riding your tail
So many of them do it before 70k that Acura had to extend the covered time

The dealer will write a work order with estimate of $150 dont worry that just legal stuff so they can look at your car.
Mechanic checks the codes/drives and says Needs Transmission- Warranty item
A new invoice is written for warranty- you pay nothing- if over limits you can work deals for partial payment plus extended warranty on replacement.
The replacements are different in certain oil passages and other updates.

Sometimes (on the TL-dont know about the CL) the front motor mount is bad and you wont know it- but they will see it.
Must fix item- and the part is $120 and labor about $30 when the trans is already removed.

When available, dealers will give you a loaner car- usually a TSX or an new TL since your car will be down a few days while they get the part

Most dealers also wash and vac your car while they have it.

Hope this answers your questions and good luck
Please post your current mileage and results of calls and service

Also call Acura customer Care at 1-800-382-2238 x 5 6 a- 5 p pacific time
Register with them as well and tell them what the trans did.
They will tell you the same things I just did so you have verification

Again My Disclaimer- I drive a TL and base all this on my recent experience of trans failure
CL may be different acura .com is your first step

Good Luck
Wow very good directions and i just wanted to say the CL has the same kind of tranny a TL does and the same thing goes with the 03 CLs as it does for the TLs.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
CL and TL have the same trans. You have a trans failure. Bring it to the dealer. If your under 7 years 109k they will replace it for free
Old 02-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Intermediate

Well thanks guys. I really appreciate the bad news....lol. I thought it was the tranny but I was in denial. Well I'm over 109k so looks like I'm out of a whip for a while until I get it repaired. Rebuild or used tranny?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by MastaC
Well thanks guys. I really appreciate the bad news....lol. I thought it was the tranny but I was in denial. Well I'm over 109k so looks like I'm out of a whip for a while until I get it repaired. Rebuild or used tranny?
Well dont be totally sure yet sometimes acura is known to good will repair some trannys or cut people deals because they know these things are pure shit. Excately what is your mileage on your car?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Intermediate

224,000kms about 140,000miles
Old 02-14-2007, 09:25 AM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MastaC
224,000kms about 140,000miles
call acura customer care and tell them your situation and they might work out a deal with you. they could either do it for free or make u pay for just the labor. it wont hurt to try. good luck
Old 02-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Advanced

Replacement Transmission

Does anyone know who long the replacement transmission is good for? They replaced my bad one at around 97,000 miles. Does the replacement have a warranty? Years/Miles?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by mendozad
Does anyone know who long the replacement transmission is good for? They replaced my bad one at around 97,000 miles. Does the replacement have a warranty? Years/Miles?
Honestly it depends. Some dealers off the normal 12k/1 year and others upgrade you to the 3k / 3 years. Also at 97k you still have till 109k until its up for the orginal exention.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Advanced

Wow!!!!

I am shocked!!! I just called the 1-800 number you provided and they are very fast on the phone. I asked how long my replacement transmission was in warranty - miles/years so she went to check.

It turns out that if you paid nothing to replace your transmission - as I did. Then you have ZERO warranty. I said - WHAT! She said she was shocked too. She said if I paid for some of the repairs it would have been 30,000 mile warranty. I told her - what if I got a defective replacement transmission and it only lasted a week. She said it would not be covered!! I said - so I would have to replace that one myself? She said - Yes.

I don't know but I guess I am lucky my replacement tranny was good. WOW! Still shocked.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
that BS just ha[ppened to me...im was killin this due in a 350Z goin like 75 andal of the sudden it throws itself into 2nd...i was like WTF...its at the dealer now gettin the new tranny
Old 02-22-2007, 09:09 AM
Advanced

Ask!

Ask your dealer what kind of warranty you have on the replacement one. The call to Acura Service really scared me since if something goes wrong with your new tranny - you may not have any kind of warranty. GET IT IN WRITING TOO!
Old 02-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I am shocked!!! I just called the 1-800 number you provided and they are very fast on the phone. I asked how long my replacement transmission was in warranty - miles/years so she went to check.

It turns out that if you paid nothing to replace your transmission - as I did. Then you have ZERO warranty. I said - WHAT! She said she was shocked too. She said if I paid for some of the repairs it would have been 30,000 mile warranty. I told her - what if I got a defective replacement transmission and it only lasted a week. She said it would not be covered!! I said - so I would have to replace that one myself? She said - Yes.

I don't know but I guess I am lucky my replacement tranny was good. WOW! Still shocked.
Mine came with a 12k 12month warranty
Old 02-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Race Director

Thats bs lots of people have failed twice in the original 7year/100k and they have gotten more then one replacement. Maybe she means if your over that but something seems wrong there. Well good luck with your tranny though.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:50 PM
Team Owner

12 month 10 thousand miles warranty- as expressed by Service Manager- paid nothing for replacement at 68 thou- the 12 month would be about = time remaining limit anyway

If it goes out after that but under 7/109 - I believe there is strong arguement for another freebie.

Many other car makers do not stand behind their product as well as Acura.
So many are BIC lighter cars- start them 5000 times and throw it away!

Many here have used AAMCO or other name brand rebuilders.
Ask how many Acura Tiptronics they have done. A number of other cars use the same or similar trans so ask a few shops till you find someone who is talking straight with you.

IF you have a replaced trans from Acura that goes- and it had the updated whatevers, rebuild that unit.

If on original car trans and high miles, go for the one from Acura so you are buying the newest design in oil passages and such. They may sell one to a private shop to install for you- ask about warranty of dealer vs private install
Old 02-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Team Owner

As good as Customer Service is, and many are former dealer mechanics and very helpful,- there is the occassional one that gives bad info. Perhaps they did not understand the question, or read the book wrong etc.

If given bad info- call back and report that person- they need instructing!

Acura includes a warranty on the transmission they provide and install.

And there are up to 3 year warranty on replacements where customer shared cost with acura on trans- maybe they were over limits or made other special cases
generally its you paid 2k you get 2 years
3k 3 years

Keep that fluid changed- it may just be oil to you but it is
the Life Blood of the transmissions!