Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 08:53 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Help Needed

I have an 02 TL-S with 147,XXX miles on it. At the beginning of January my car suddenly didn't start one morning. So I thought I had a dead battery, I then jumped it, and it started right up, drove to work thinking it would charge. Turned the car off and came to start it after work(6 hours later) and same thing, no start, no clicking. Had someone jump me, and it started up just fine. Next day went to Autozone and got a new battery, they said my old one was dead. New battery was in, and same thing, no start and no clicking. It didn't want to turn over. That night I replaced the started, and the car started right up. New battery and starter. 2 weeks later, same problem. Only started on a jump. Went to Autozone again to have them check it out, battery was fine, they took it out to charge it, put it back in, and it started right up. Anyone have this problem before? I don't was to get stranded anymore. They also said my alternator was fine. So I have no idea what else could be the problem. Any help will be much appreciated.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:26 PM
deal with it

Received 378 Likes on 316 Posts
Check your cables for corrosion. If the cables are swollen and have green crap coming out of the ends, then thats your problem.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dreem1er
Check your cables for corrosion. If the cables are swollen and have green crap coming out of the ends, then thats your problem.
No corrosion where the cables connect to the positive and negative terminals. They were cleaned when the new battery was installed.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:17 PM
deal with it

Is the car completely dead when it doesn't start?

Do the lights work? Horn?

Or everything is fine and when you put in the key and turn it everything goes dead?
Old 01-26-2014, 07:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Does the green lite for the Immobilizer flash ?
Check the main ground from the battery to the tranny. The lower part of the grond cable where it connects at the tranny case isn't insulated well and tends to go bad at the bottom. This is a common problem. Check for a scavenger drain on the battery also.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dreem1er
Is the car completely dead when it doesn't start?

Do the lights work? Horn?

Or everything is fine and when you put in the key and turn it everything goes dead?
For the most part yes, the dome light when the door is open is very dim, other than that, everything is completely dead. And I never tried honking the horn.

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Does the green lite for the Immobilizer flash ?
Check the main ground from the battery to the tranny. The lower part of the grond cable where it connects at the tranny case isn't insulated well and tends to go bad at the bottom. This is a common problem. Check for a scavenger drain on the battery also.
Im not sure on the immobilizer flash, I don't think any of the lights on the cluster turned on. I will check these areas, thanks
Old 01-26-2014, 09:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Dont worry about the Green key. Your issue isnt the immobilizer.

Check your cables, like the ground cables from the battery to the chassis, and your power cables to make sure they arent corroded or not making a good connection.

Also have you had your alternator tested? With your battery going dead i would have that tested.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:06 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts
I suggest a second opinion on the alternator, or something is draining the battery while its off.
Any aftermarket items ? sound system remote start etc..
Also when you put the key in position II do you see the Red battery light on? its next to the check engine light without starting the engine.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
how bad were the cables before cleaning?
at our cars age a new set of cables is not unreasonable
look inside the actual cable for green or blue crud type action
that's eating the cable from the inside
sure mine clean up fine with hot water and baking soda, but not down into the cable where the real final issue is
When you have a prob that kills the batt- jumping it and driving are the alternators worst enemy

who is testing this for you? kid with handheld machine at partsplus or at batteries plus with a large machine running several test
Old 01-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Dont worry about the Green key. Your issue isnt the immobilizer.

Check your cables, like the ground cables from the battery to the chassis, and your power cables to make sure they arent corroded or not making a good connection.

Also have you had your alternator tested? With your battery going dead i would have that tested.
The connections were good. Had the alternator checked and it passed.

Originally Posted by ErickUa5
I suggest a second opinion on the alternator, or something is draining the battery while its off.
Any aftermarket items ? sound system remote start etc..
Also when you put the key in position II do you see the Red battery light on? its next to the check engine light without starting the engine.
No aftermarket items, just a factory fob key to unlock, lock, and open trunk. Ill try putting the key into position II if it ever happens again.

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
how bad were the cables before cleaning?
at our cars age a new set of cables is not unreasonable
look inside the actual cable for green or blue crud type action
that's eating the cable from the inside
sure mine clean up fine with hot water and baking soda, but not down into the cable where the real final issue is
When you have a prob that kills the batt- jumping it and driving are the alternators worst enemy

who is testing this for you? kid with handheld machine at partsplus or at batteries plus with a large machine running several test
There was a pretty good amount of corrosion powder on the terminal. Ill have to check the cables form the inside and clean them.
The guy that tested it for me wasn't too old, he seemed like he had experience at autozone.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
Sounds like a connectivity issue. If you are handy with a current meter, you can disconnect the negative terminal and see if there is any current draw just sitting with no accessories on. You can also check to see if there is any resistance between the neg terminal and ground
The following users liked this post:
3.2TLc (01-27-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 08:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MarcDavidoff
Sounds like a connectivity issue. If you are handy with a current meter, you can disconnect the negative terminal and see if there is any current draw just sitting with no accessories on. You can also check to see if there is any resistance between the neg terminal and ground
Will try, thank you
Old 01-26-2014, 08:17 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts
No Im asking if you see the Red battery light on the dash before starting the engine.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:52 PM
deal with it

Ok as a couple have said now. From your description its either a connection issue or you have an electrical drain.

When you come out to the car and find it dead your going to have to check the voltage on the battery. If you see anything above 12 volts more than likely a connection issue anything under 12 between 11-9 volts the battery maybe be bad. Anything under 9 volts over night is usually a drain issue.

The battery could have a short and will test good at all other times until it doesn't start. Once it won't start it may yest bad. In 5 years I've only seen this twice but it does happen.
The following users liked this post:
3.2TLc (01-27-2014)