Headlight Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 01:20 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight Issue

I'm having a problem with my passenger side head light on my 2000 TL. It works maybe half of the time. When I start my car at night the light generally doesn't work, but after driving around for a while, it starts to work when I flick the lights off and on again. Sometimes the light just works right off the bat and cuts out sometime during my drive... Has anyone had this problem before or have a good idea what it might be? Also, if you think it may be the bulb, does anyone have any recommendations on what replacement bulbs to buy and where to get them? Thank you!
Old 02-07-2010, 02:02 AM
7th Gear

I was looking at some other post and saw that it might be my ballast... and I found that some people recommended this kit as well:http://www.hidextra.com/HID+Conversi...rsion+Kit.html
Anyone think it's a good idea for me to buy these while they're on sale?
Old 02-07-2010, 02:48 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i'm having the same problem on passenger side also.
my ballast only one year old, so i'm thinking maybe is the bulb itself.
i'm gonna change the bulb tomorrow to see what happen.
04 tl
Old 02-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Its one of 3 things, bulb, balast or igniter. $100 at the dealer will tell you what it is. Otherwise, if your mechanically inclined here you go.

PLEASE DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE DOING THIS! HIDS CARRY ALOT OF POWER AND ARE VERY DANGEROUS

Check your fuses

next try swapping the bulbs from left to right. (in your case its probably not the bulb)
While your in there, look at the igniter plug that connects to the bulb and make sure its not burnt, melted or corroded.

If that doesn't work, you will need to remove the front bumper and headlights.

If the bulb does not light at all ( no flicker or anything) disconnect the 2 pin connector for the ballast. There should be 12V with the lights turned on. If there is 12v go to the next step. If not there is problem in the harness.

Bolted to the bottom of the headlight is the ballast. Remove the 3 screws and swap it over to the other one. Plug it all in and see if it works. If it does, you need a ballast. If not go to the next step

remove the ballast. Remove the igniter. It runs from the ballast through the headlight housing and connects to the bulb. Swap this with the working one. Plug everything in and see if it works. If it does, you need an igniter.

I may do a tutorial with pictures for this next time I do one at work since there seems to be alot of questions about this.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:05 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by nisreo
Its one of 3 things, bulb, balast or igniter. $100 at the dealer will tell you what it is. Otherwise, if your mechanically inclined here you go.

PLEASE DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE DOING THIS! HIDS CARRY ALOT OF POWER AND ARE VERY DANGEROUS

Check your fuses

next try swapping the bulbs from left to right. (in your case its probably not the bulb)
While your in there, look at the igniter plug that connects to the bulb and make sure its not burnt, melted or corroded.

If the bulb does not light at all ( no flicker or anything) disconnect the 2 pin connector for the ballast. There should be 12V with the lights turned on. If there is 12v go to the next step. If not there is problem in the harness.

Bolted to the bottom of the headlight is the ballast. Remove the 3 screws and swap it over to the other one. Plug it all in and see if it works. If it does, you need a ballast. If not go to the next step

remove the ballast. Remove the igniter. It runs from the ballast through the headlight housing and connects to the bulb. Swap this with the working one. Plug everything in and see if it works. If it does, you need an igniter.

I may do a tutorial with pictures for this next time I do one at work since there seems to be alot of questions about this.
a tutorial would be awesome, i'm having the same issue right now with my passenger side...low beam will cut out and if i turn them off, then back on it will work.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Yup

tutorial would be much appreciated! i'm not sure how to get to the bulbs.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:27 AM
Ya....It's an Acura

Shweeet, ya Im having the same problem guys and the only remedy seems to be flicking the lights off and then on again

big pain in the A
Old 02-09-2010, 07:01 AM
Advanced

Next time I do a headlight diagnosis at work, Ill take pics and write it up for everyone.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Ya....It's an Acura

awesome bud, we definately appreciate it
Old 02-12-2010, 03:59 PM
4th Gear

mine doen't work at all.. I was told by someone who looked at it. That it was some little back box that sit's behind the light and acura said that the box itself will cost 600 just to get the box itself... mm thinking about getting rid of this car but I don't want too
Old 02-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by whattheydokid
mine doen't work at all.. I was told by someone who looked at it. That it was some little back box that sit's behind the light and acura said that the box itself will cost 600 just to get the box itself... mm thinking about getting rid of this car but I don't want too
that is the ballast. you should be able to fix for less than that. is your car not worth $600? wouldnt see why you would want to get rid of it just because of a headlight.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by whattheydokid
Another I was told.

Before getting your undies in a bundle do a little homework on your own. You can find stock parts used for 1/4 of that. You can buy complete new aftermarket systems with bulbs for half of that.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dsalazar1
that is the ballast. you should be able to fix for less than that. is your car not worth $600? wouldnt see why you would want to get rid of it just because of a headlight.
The igniter sits behind the light, the ballast is bolted under it. It could be either, but the igniter is more expensive.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:38 PM
4th Gear

The igniter sits behind the light, the ballast is bolted under it. It could be either, but the igniter is more expensive.
.. I do i figure out which one that needs to be replace on the car. I do miss driving my car at night..
Old 02-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Im having the same problem on my driver side. I ordered two new bulbs cause i needed them too. Recently though it hasnt been happening. Its been on all the time. What i do is that when im in a drive and it goes off, i just turn the headlights back on and it comes on. Ill see if this keeps happening with the new bulbs. I got 5000k from hidextra.com
Old 02-24-2010, 12:31 AM
Sylvia aka SilverNight

it your wires either something is burnt or damaged (cut) look at your wires real close
Old 02-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Cruisin'

I just bought a used ballast online for $125. Acura charges $350 for one. I replaced my headlight assembly and my ballast igniter because I had condensation in my driver side lens. Acura quoted me $600 to get done. I did it for a total of $221 with online purchases and doing it myself. SOOOO glad I saved over half...
Old 03-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Intermediate

Having this same problem, light on passenger side goes off intermittently but when I flick the lights on and off it comes back on again - after driving for a while it usually stays on.. wtf!
Old 03-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your fuses

i'm also having the same problem with the driver side headlight not working. I was thinking about the aftermarket hid kits for a replacement rather then paying the price of oem hid kit. What do you think?
Old 03-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i have this problem in both light passenger first. already replaced bulb in one. no fix. took it to honda. its the ballast. according to Mike the master tech.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:02 AM
Cruisin'

Angry same here

it's happening to me too. only one side goes off and on. but when i turn my head lights off and back on, both of them light back on. actually when i look closely it seems that they are slightly different brightness colors. it's weird.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I expierienced a ballast problem and found this vendor on ebay: "hidstuff"

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OEM-02-03-04...item3a58aa4d36

I bought the ballast and igniter for $169 got it in three days, it was brand new and worked perfectly. I opted for this option because of the mounting issue, since I have cleared headlights, I didn't want to have to seal the opening on the bottom of the headlight if I replaced the OEM ballast.

I don't know how long these will be around but I can attest to the quality.