Fog lights on without headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 10:27 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog lights on without headlights?

I have searched through all of the forums and could not find one about wiring the foglights to turn on without needing to turn on the headlights? Does anyone know how to do this?
Old 10-27-2005, 10:43 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is the DIY link that show you how.
http://www.acurainspired.com/forums/...=0&#entry41116
Old 10-28-2005, 08:51 AM
RickRoush03

could you please copy and paste the how to in this post, i get an error opening the page. thanks!
Old 10-28-2005, 09:05 AM
RickRoush03

disregard, some other good DIY so i just became a member, what the hell.

But to answer the question, all you do is take the fog light button on the dash, pop it out, disconnect the harness from the switch.

You will then want to orient the wires so that they line up in straight in case they are bunched up. You will only need to work with the 3rd and 4th wire from the right (3rd is Red/White and the 4th is Red/Black). Use a razor knife or wire splicer to expose the wiring underneath on both of the wires. Try to keep the area of splicing near each other so that way they can contact easily.

Next, I just simply intertwined the two wires together and then wrapped them in electrical tape. You can connect the two in various ways by soldering the two together (permanently fused), or using a wire connector and crimp which isnt so permanent. Then, you can tape the rest of the wires together so that they dont get loose later as shown

Put the switch back together. Done!
Old 10-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Try this, tons of pictures https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=31

Or the full thread at https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=light
Old 10-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Drifting

Here are some pictures that I took for the install.

This is what a diode looks like and how it works, current only flows from Anode to Cathode, the silver bar shows you which is the cathode side.

That is my diode connected to some wire to the left and to the right (Anode and Cathode sides) with some shrink wrap over it. Electrical tape will be fine as well. I had soldered it but you can just twist it together.

Here it is connected to the MINI add-a-circut crimped to the Anode side of the wire to the blue thing. I used a 3 AMP fuse, probably more than needed but it is fine. Notice where it is added, the instructions of the add-a-circuit will explain.

This is the fog light switch harness and swtich. I had to undo the original fog light mod and taped up the two wires.

Just another shot

Driver side Fuse panel before I remove anything.

Drive side Fuse panel after I remove the fuse #9 instrumental panel slot. The one below it is the ACC one. Both are 7.5 Amps.

With the removed fuse I just place it into the other slot of the add-a-circuit. Again the instructions of the add-a-circuit will explain.

The add-a-circuit installed into the fuse box. I just plugged it back into the fuse #9 slot. Just that easy.

Close up!

The other side now of the diode, Cathode side, now you just use a tap to tap into white/red wire which was used originally for the first fog light mod. So you crimp the black wire extended from the cathode side of the diode to the white/red wire.

Close up of how it is crimped together.

Now you are done!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2005, 03:49 PM
RickRoush03

I just did that fog light mod, the simple one, twisting the wires together, took longer to take stuff off then do the acutal mod!!
Old 10-29-2005, 09:17 PM
Advanced

I kinda understand, but with no electrical experience i'm kinda hesistant to try. would someone be able to post a little more detailed step by step explanation?
Old 10-29-2005, 09:52 PM
RickRoush03

when you pop out the button to turn on/off the fog lights, there are 5 wires, you will only need to work with the 3rd and 4th wire from the right (3rd is Red/White and the 4th is Red/Black). When you identify those wires, strip off the casing at the same points on both wires, maybe 1/2" on each one so you see the copper below, you DON'T want to cut through the wire, just stripping off some of the casing. Once this is done, TWIST the 2 wires where you made the cuts together, electrical tape them up, plug the button back in, and test, should work, not complicated.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:54 PM
RickRoush03

for pics, go to this site and become a member:

http://www.acurainspired.com/forums/...showtopic=1034

copied directions without pics below.

STEP 1.
Locate and remove the fuse box panel located underneath the driver side steering wheel. In order to remove, just grab the panel from underneath and then give it a few tugs. They are held in by clips so dont worry about breaking anything.

Exposed fuse panel:

STEP 2.
Use a phillips head screwdriver and unscrew the screw holding the kickpanel in place. In order to fully pull out the panel, you will have to unplug the harness that goes to the Light dimmer by simply pressing a clip behind the switch. After that, you will once again pull the panel back until you pop out the panel from the two clips that are holding it in place.

STEP 3.
Reach out from behind and then pop out the foglight switch. This will require you to clasp together the clips that are on the switch and then push it out. It can be a bit tricky but make sure to locate the clips and then it will make your life a lot easier. For myself, i noticed that the guage panel was also coming out somewhat. I was able to use that to slide in something to push the clip up. Then pushing from behind and a little bit of work and the switch came out.

Exposed switch and the clips that I mentioned earlier that need to be pressed in so that you can push the switch out:

STEP 4.
Unplug the harness from the switch and you can place the switch aside. Just remember which way the switch goes in otherwise you will have the switch showing that your lights are facing up instead of down to the ground. Pull the harness back through the switch so that way you have more room to work with.

STEP 5.
Next cut the plastic tape that is holding the wires in a bunch so that way the wires are more exposed and you can work with them easily.

STEP 6.
You will then want to orient the wires so that they line up in straight in case they are bunched up. You will only need to work with the 3rd and 4th wire from the right (3rd is Red/White and the 4th is Red/Black). Use a razor knife or wire splicer to expose the wiring underneath on both of the wires. Try to keep the area of splicing near each other so that way they can contact easily.

STEP 7.
Next, I just simply intertwined the two wires together and then wrapped them in electrical tape. You can connect the two in various ways by soldering the two together (permanently fused), or using a wire connector and crimp which isnt so permanent. Then, you can tape the rest of the wires together so that they dont get loose later as shown

STEP 8.
Push the harness back through the foglight switch area which should be empty and then reconnect the two. Reminder, the light rays face down (up wouldn't really make sense would it?). Push the switch back into place. Reconnect the harness for the dimmer switch and then pop the kickpanel back into place. Finally screw in the screw that was removed initially, pop back in the fuse box panel and go test out the lights. Congratulations, you have completed the foglight mod
Old 11-05-2005, 08:46 PM
10th Gear

Does this mod allow you to use the fog lights when the parking lights are on instead of the headlights or will this mod allow the fog lights to be on regardless of the other lights?
Old 11-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Drifting

There are two shown here.

The one I posted you can have the fogs on regardless, of the parking lights or headlights. They will NOT blink when you unlock your car with the parking lights. They will not shut off when you crank the car.

The second one posted by Eternal and Rick, will ONLY come on with the parking lights are on or headlights are on. Also the fogs will blink when the car is unlocked as well with the parking lights. They will not shut off when you crank the car either i believe.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:23 AM
2Poor 2Furious

We really need to name the "foglight mods" differently. T

The second one posted by Eternal and Rick is the "original one", which had the flaws that they blinked with the parking lights and didn't stay on with the highbeams. It has the advantage that its easy to do, by simply connecting two wires together.

The first one posted by Bxscig is the "new one", that corrects those problems but requires adding the diode and more wiring. But its still very very basic soldering.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:22 PM
TWO-FOUR

This mod is going to be great if can find a mini add a circuit could you tell me where i can get one.
THANKS.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by TWO-FOUR
This mod is going to be great if can find a mini add a circuit could you tell me where i can get one.
THANKS.
pepboys/autozone
Old 03-21-2006, 04:09 PM
JaTt_StYleS

Hey guys...just about to take a stab at this mod....I went the radioshack and they had 2 different strenghts of diodes, a 6amp and a 1amp, not too sure if this matters. I was not sure which one to get and they didn't want to suggest anything either just in case anything went wrong soooo...I'm waiting on u guys to give me some advice...

Thanks
Old 03-21-2006, 10:14 PM
Drifting

the 1amp diode is good, I think its like less than a dollar for a 2 pack. You probably dont need the add-a-circuit but I like it just because it makes it neater for me.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:30 AM
JaTt_StYleS

Thanks a lot man.....will try to get it done tonite
Old 03-25-2007, 07:21 PM
10th Gear

Just did it yesterday!

Thanks RickRoush03 and everyone for your help! I decided to go the easy route and twist the wires together. The easiest mod I have ever done. Took about 15 min like stated. Good luck to all others.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:26 PM
8th Gear

Familiar with Acura?

Can anyone tell me if the electrical is very different from a 1st gen (2002 specifically) electrical RL? Want to try out this mod but haven't dug enough to find a RL thread about it