Fan issue + A/C stopped blowing 2 days ago and now battery is dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 04:51 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan issue + A/C stopped blowing 2 days ago and now battery is dead

I have a 2000 TL with 105K miles and am the original owner. The timing belt/water pump and the front and side motor mounts were replaced a couple weeks ago by an independent shop and things have gone down hill from there.

1) After I drove the car home from the shop I noticed that the fan under the hood seems much louder than usual. Also, I know that the fan should run for awhile after turning off the ignition when the car is hot, but the next morning I turned the cold car on and off again within 30 seconds and the fan still ran for 15 minutes with the ignition off. This is repeatable, the fan runs for 15 minutes every single time the ignition is turned off regardless of hot or cold.

2) A couple days ago I was sitting in traffic in 98 degree heat with the A/C on max and the A/C fan suddenly cut out. There has been no blown air since....the temp will display when pressing the A/C button but that's it. I can still hear the fan from #1.

3) This morning when I started the car it took a couple seconds to turn over but I was able to drive the 8 miles to work. Then three hours later when I went out to start it again the battery was dead and all I got was a clicking noise. Could something from #1 or #2 be draining the battery?

Any thoughts on what the problem(s) could be would be much appreciated, as well as opinions on whether they could be related to the timing belt/motor mount replacement that was done or just a coincidence. I can't get in to the Acura dealer until Monday. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2007, 11:28 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i'll see if i can take a stab at any of this for you. hopefully i can answer at least one question.

1) if the fan is the same fan then it shouldn't sound any different unless it's spinning faster (which could be possible). i will say that i don't ever recall my fan running unless the engine was running too. that's somewhat odd to explain. i'll think about this one a little more.

2) it's possible your ventilation fan has blown out. i don't know if i would say it's related to the other fan issue because the radiator fan is supposed to run when the a/c is on to cool the condenser. have you checked the fuse yet for that fan??

3) if your starter is clicking it means that power is getting to the solenoid, so most likely your battery is not dead. it could possibly be a bad starter motor. although i will say that if your battery is still the original battery then it is *definitely* past it's optimal life span and needs to be replaced.

issue #1 could potentially be draining the battery, although you said it's been doing this for a few weeks and this is the first time the car hasn't started, so i don't necessarily think you can positively associate the two issues together.

change your battery if it is not less than 5 years old. if it is relatively new then clean the battery terminals, cable ends and the negative grounds on your alternator and starter. if the car will not start then you may need to remove the starter and have it tested at autozone/pepboys/advance auto (that should be a free service).

i hope some of this helps.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
things get knocked loose when major repairs are done- and parts fail right after some other part of the car got worked on- thats life

Are you on the original battery?
Pass side fan is controlled by AC use
The driver side fan works on temp- the sensor for it is on bottem edge of radiator- passenger side
If it keeps running when engine off for more than a few minutes- it will eat the battery

The cabin blower motor has been known to fail or have bad connector- pull the glovebox as detailed in the cabin filter DIY to reach fan- check the blower fan and use electric contact spray cleaner on everything
Old 08-29-2007, 02:44 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Here is what the Acura dealer in Boulder, CO diagnosed my TL problems as:

1) The wiring harness to temp switch C was pinched between the power steering pump and bracket, causing a short. The diagnosis cost $52.50 and the repair cost was $105.00. The dealer said this problem was most likely caused during the recent timing belt/water pump/motor mount replacement. Grrrrrr! Haven't decided yet whether to go back to the first shop and ask for compensation on this one.

2) Blower motor circuit test was performed and the transistor was found to have failed. Further inspection found the blower motor harness and motor connection to be melted. The transistor, motor, and harness assemblies were replaced at a cost of $400.00.

3) Battery (three years old) was being drawn down by the short in #1. Now that everything is fixed the battery is holding a charge just fine.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:18 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
well that kinda sucks. sorry to hear about that man. kinda funny that the transistor in the blower motor failed. it seems like alot of people on the boards are having blower motor issues now.