E.G.R Valve Failure and replace shifter level sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 09:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
E.G.R Valve Failure and replace shifter level sensor

Over the weekend the D5 was flashing and the engine light came. I went to the dealer today to get an oil change and to find out the problem. Again It turns out that they found 2 active codes: E.G.R Valve failure and Open gear selection switch failure. Dealer's solutions: needs R&R E.G.R valve & Clean ports and tubes and replace shifter level sensor. Also needs fuel induction service prior to service. Basically he said that it's filled with a ton of carbon monoxide. The car is not using overdrive so it needs to replace the shifter level sensor. Overtime if it's not replace it can damage the transmission causing it to slip. I'm trying to remember what he told me this afternoon so not sure if any of this makes sense.

Quote $1,664.
Car: 2002 Acura TL-S
Miles:121,676.

Does this normally cost this much? Have you experienced this with your car?
Is it time to get a newer car? The car has been paid off for years. Or pay this and keep for another year to save money?
Old 12-16-2015, 10:54 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 253 Likes on 219 Posts
To better help we need actual codes, More than likely the EGR passage ways are blocked and need to be cleaned out thats the most common fix.
For the transmission sounds to me like the range sensor may be bad or out of adjustment.
The following users liked this post:
01tl4tl (12-19-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 11:20 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Oh man.

Please don't proceed with this service until you can get a itemized breakdown of the quote. Please share the quote with us and make sure to include the exact problem codes you're seeing.

My initial indication is that the dealer is not being honest with you (they do charge a lot for EGR service from what I've seen - 3-4 hours' labor).

To clean your fuel system you can put a can of seafoam in 1/2 tank of gas, twice.

Also your EGR will clog up if you run less than 91 octane. These cars MUST have 91 minimum.

In my current market every month you drive that car without a payment you're saving about $150-170 for comparable value. If your average maintenance costs are over that much then I would consider getting a new one if you don't love your TL.
The following users liked this post:
01tl4tl (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 10:33 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Its the holidays and no one is taking their car in for service if they dont have to
That means Service Writers- who often dont know anything about cars- try to extract as much money as possible from every car that comes thru the door

DIY: 2 hours at casual pace for complete egr system cleaning- its not the valve- that just needs some lube, but the passages and ports INSIDE of the intake manifold need a good scrub out every 75kmiles. Remove manifold from car to service

Without an exhaust gas report, or camera inside a cylinder= they cant prove carbon build-up..it exist but not as most would understand it to be

Seafoam removes that carbon layer and other crud, cleans the fuel lines, injectors, intake valves and pistons.
2 cans are 15-20$ total. Will do more than the 159$ `on sale for $99` induction cleaning, where they hook up a machine with gasoline and - wait for it- usually Seafoam! added to the fuel = they let it idle for 30 minutes to loosen the crud.
Need to go for a serious blowout drive after- but that doesnt happen at the dealer.

We use seafoam in gas tank and drive it over a few weeks- trips over 30 minutes work best as heat and time are seafoams friends
Use it and it will be your new best friend-- and thing you add every 6 months to maintain clean internals

Can also be used as oil system cleaner right before oil and filter change!
Old 12-19-2015, 10:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Using 4th gear wont cause trans to slip! Many use 4th as their all around- in -town gear position- putting it in 5th only for freeway cruise
Its a slight drop in rpm which increases mpg,,if you own a TL and worry about minor fuel useage...sell it and get an econo-box

at your miles- have you done a trans fluid change? dont even ask about it at dealer!
and the water pump/timing belt job -- that was due at 105? done yet?
Old 01-04-2016, 03:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Using 4th gear wont cause trans to slip! Many use 4th as their all around- in -town gear position- putting it in 5th only for freeway cruise
Its a slight drop in rpm which increases mpg,,if you own a TL and worry about minor fuel useage...sell it and get an econo-box

at your miles- have you done a trans fluid change? dont even ask about it at dealer!
and the water pump/timing belt job -- that was due at 105? done yet?
Timing belt/pump already done. Trans fluid, not sure. I will check but I think I have.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chojun
Oh man.

Please don't proceed with this service until you can get a itemized breakdown of the quote. Please share the quote with us and make sure to include the exact problem codes you're seeing.

My initial indication is that the dealer is not being honest with you (they do charge a lot for EGR service from what I've seen - 3-4 hours' labor).

To clean your fuel system you can put a can of seafoam in 1/2 tank of gas, twice.

Also your EGR will clog up if you run less than 91 octane. These cars MUST have 91 minimum.

In my current market every month you drive that car without a payment you're saving about $150-170 for comparable value. If your average maintenance costs are over that much then I would consider getting a new one if you don't love your TL.
This is the list they put on my receipt of my recent oil change.

"Tech Verified concern & found 2 active codes
P1399 E.G.R. Valve failure
(Needs R&R E.G.R valve & clean ports & tubes
P1709 open gear selection switch failure
(Needs to replace shifter level sensor

Please note needs fuel induction service prior to service"

I just bought 2 cans of Seafoam. Now you suggest putting both of them at the same setting correct? And this will take care of the fuel induction service the dealer recommends? And no need for the dealer to perform this work anymore?

I always use the highest octane gas - 91. I never use less so not sure why I would even have this problem.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Its the holidays and no one is taking their car in for service if they dont have to
That means Service Writers- who often dont know anything about cars- try to extract as much money as possible from every car that comes thru the door

DIY: 2 hours at casual pace for complete egr system cleaning- its not the valve- that just needs some lube, but the passages and ports INSIDE of the intake manifold need a good scrub out every 75kmiles. Remove manifold from car to service

Without an exhaust gas report, or camera inside a cylinder= they cant prove carbon build-up..it exist but not as most would understand it to be

Seafoam removes that carbon layer and other crud, cleans the fuel lines, injectors, intake valves and pistons.
2 cans are 15-20$ total. Will do more than the 159$ `on sale for $99` induction cleaning, where they hook up a machine with gasoline and - wait for it- usually Seafoam! added to the fuel = they let it idle for 30 minutes to loosen the crud.
Need to go for a serious blowout drive after- but that doesnt happen at the dealer.

We use seafoam in gas tank and drive it over a few weeks- trips over 30 minutes work best as heat and time are seafoams friends
Use it and it will be your new best friend-- and thing you add every 6 months to maintain clean internals

Seafoam removes all of this from the gas tank correct? "carbon layer and other crud, cleans the fuel lines, injectors, intake valves and pistons."

Or I also need to put it in the intake manifold?

Last edited by TL260power; 01-11-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:59 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Seafoam will clean the filter in your gas tank but otherwise it's geared mostly at the engine. It'll clean the fuel lines, injectors, intake valves and piston tops as mentioned.

Do it twice, each time with a can in 1/2 tank of fuel. That's doing some serious cleaning and you'll notice a drop in gas mileage and performance while it's in your tank. I did mine at about 155K miles or so and noticed a slight boost in MPG afterward.

You can also put some in your oil/crank or use the vacuum to ingest it into the top of your engine but this is to address different issues that you probably aren't having.

I would definitely recommend the EGR cleaning whether you do it (save $) or have the dealer do it. It should be around $300 or so for that service based on what I've seen other people pay for it. I'm not sure on what the shift sensor would cost though.

If you do decide to go with the original quote then I'd get them to agree to do a valve adjustment and maybe replace engine mounts and then it'd probably be well worth the price.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

How do I do the EGR myself?
Old 01-14-2016, 06:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ok so I put 2 cans of Seafoam in 1/2 tank of gas. Now can I tell the dealer that I won't need the fuel injectors clean? They recommend to get this done first before they perform the other jobs.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

I poured 2 cans into the gas tank. Dealer recommended to have induction cleaning before they perform the rest. Is it safe to say that I don't need the induction cleaning from them because I did it myself with Seafoam and to go on with the rest of the work? This way I can save money.

Or you think the dealer will make up an excuse that they need to do it to secure the work?

Last edited by TL260power; 01-31-2016 at 10:20 PM.