D5 Light Off ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012 | 12:47 PM
5th Gear

D5 Light Off ?

Hi all,

First i'd like to say im really glad i found this forum and i've found many answers to most of my questions so thanks alot.

I've recently bought a 3.2TL 2003 Premium for 3000$ with 240 000kms on it and the tranny was replaced at 220 000kms at the Acura Dealer (which is a good thing since i read these transmission are kinda weak) but ive noticed a weird problem with the D5 Light..

I know flashing D5 = problems but mine just doesnt light up at all.. I thought it might be the light bulb but the thing is If i put the car on D5 and then switch to neutral, the neutral light wont light up unless i slam the shifter really hard.. Neutral will still engage even if the light is off tho. Also, if i put the car on D4 and then switch to D5 and try to use SportShift, it wont work, i have to drop it in neutral and then put it in D5 and then switch to SportShift in order for it to work.

From my understanding, it sounds like a cable problem or something with the shifter since i have to slam it from D5 to Neutral to make the N light up.

I've looked all over the forum but i didnt see anyone with this problem and i would really like to try and fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Alot.
Old 06-14-2012 | 12:06 AM
deal with it

on the gauges it doesn't work or on the shift gate?
Old 06-14-2012 | 01:52 AM

Sound like Gear Range sensor wasnt properly Installed/Connected? when they Installed the new Tranny...
The following 2 users liked this post by Skirmich:
01tl4tl (06-15-2012), Midnight Mystery (10-19-2019)
Old 06-14-2012 | 01:04 PM
5th Gear

Hi thanks for ur answers,
Im talking about the lights on the gauges

And any tips on how to check the gear range sensor? Where can i find it?

Thanks for ur help
Old 06-15-2012 | 09:31 AM
Team Owner

Is there any evidence of soda drink spillage in the cup holder, or any fluid leaks in the cd storage area (people put strange things in there)
those both drain directly onto some microswitches under the shifter

I would try a trans shop first, tell them what its doing- put it on the lift
may be a 20 dollar adjustment
If the trans was done recent enough the acura dealer should inspect their work free
drop by and ask the SERVICE MANAGER (not service writer) to come sit in the car and demonstrate the problem
Old 06-21-2012 | 07:16 PM
5th Gear

The transmission was done more than a year ago (1year and 3 month precisely) so its out of warranty, the dealer wouldnt even look at it, he did tell me that the Transmission rear main seal is leaking a little tho.. i was a little bit frustrated since it has been rebuilt TWICE one year ago... anyway ill just keep topping it for now

i found out that soda or something definitely has been dropped in the shifter and the cup holder, there was traces of spilled stuff everywhere when i removed the shift knob and the metallic plastic piece, and i also noticed that the shifter lights doesnt light up at all.. so D5 and Neutral doesnt light up on my dash(unless i get from Reverse to Neutral in which case Neutral does light up but not D5) and all the shifter lights are out..

I would like some advices on how to take the shifter assembly out and clean it and maybe fix the problem, where are those switches that can be affected? Thanks alot.
Old 07-28-2012 | 04:09 PM
Instructor

D5 light

There is nothing wrong with the transmission, I think your D5 light is messed up. I have the same issue,doesn't bother me. D4,3.2... working fine but not d5
Originally Posted by ThawM
Hi all,

First i'd like to say im really glad i found this forum and i've found many answers to most of my questions so thanks alot.

I've recently bought a 3.2TL 2003 Premium for 3000$ with 240 000kms on it and the tranny was replaced at 220 000kms at the Acura Dealer (which is a good thing since i read these transmission are kinda weak) but ive noticed a weird problem with the D5 Light..

I know flashing D5 = problems but mine just doesnt light up at all.. I thought it might be the light bulb but the thing is If i put the car on D5 and then switch to neutral, the neutral light wont light up unless i slam the shifter really hard.. Neutral will still engage even if the light is off tho. Also, if i put the car on D4 and then switch to D5 and try to use SportShift, it wont work, i have to drop it in neutral and then put it in D5 and then switch to SportShift in order for it to work.

From my understanding, it sounds like a cable problem or something with the shifter since i have to slam it from D5 to Neutral to make the N light up.

I've looked all over the forum but i didnt see anyone with this problem and i would really like to try and fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Alot.
Old 10-19-2019 | 04:36 PM
1st Gear

Tranny replaced now dash gear light off and shifter jiggling

Originally Posted by Skirmich
Sound like Gear Range sensor wasnt properly Installed/Connected? when they Installed the new Tranny...
I just had a refurbished tranny put in two days ago and everything is fine except the dash gear light don't light up and my shifter sounds like it's jiggling around anybody have a idea whatight have happened and today my first gear didn't want to engage until the car had warmed up