check ingine light on weired Tiptronic problem please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 05:31 PM
Tl fever...cureless!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check ingine light on weired Tiptronic problem please help

Just Picked up a 99TL couple days ago !
There is a weired problem with this car ..check engine light is on with TCS and also Maint Required! .full service on the car with timing belp and all nine yards changed less then 2400 miles ago...

So here is the problem:

When i shift to Drive, tip tronic does not work ...it works ocassionally! but when tip tronic is working, regular D4 doesnot work !

Got the codes read today at auto zone and got 2 codes!
P0131 O2 SEnsor (bank 1 sensor 1)
P1709 (Manufacturer control Transmission)

Previous owner told me he got the car checked out by "Acura" and they said that there is a Sensor that needs to be changed thats all which is my tiptronic is disables occasionally and because of that TCS also comes on !

Anyone ever had that problem and please help me out here!
Old 04-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Thread Police Chief

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OMFG its sequential sport shift, or sport shift. This "tip tronic" ghetto lingo is driving me nuts.

Maint required means ur due for something. Try pressing the TCS button to see if it will turn the TCS light off.

P1709 means your having a trouble with the SS shift solenoid or switches. Probably stuck switches due to spilled soda or something, or maybe the SS solenoid IS out. Either way its nothing major. If the switches are stuck, that would cause the problems you listed...

The O2 thing, try changing out ur O2 sensor

You didn't get a code for the TCS, so its probably just turned off because A) you hit the switch or B)the P1709 code dissables TCS until the problem is fixed.
You can reset the Maint Light by turning the car to the on position then holding the trip select and reset buttons together until it turns off, then try starting the car.

Also you should put stuff like this in the Problems and Fixes sub forum

Last edited by adamlee05; 04-17-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Tl fever...cureless!

Originally Posted by adamlee05
OMFG its sequential sport shift, or sport shift. This "tip tronic" ghetto lingo is driving me nuts.

Maint required means ur due for something. Try pressing the TCS button to see if it will turn the TCS light off.

P1709 means your having a trouble with the SS shift solenoid or switches. Probably stuck switches due to spilled soda or something, or maybe the SS solenoid IS out. Either way its nothing major. If the switches are stuck, that would cause the problems you listed...

You didn't get a code for the TCS, so its probably just turned off because A) you hit the switch or B)the P1709 code dissables TCS until the problem is fixed.
You can reset the Maint Light by turning the car to the on position then holding the trip select and reset buttons together until it turns off, then try starting the car.

lol you know what i meant my tip tronic lol sorry bro!
well i am little confused about what u said about p1709 about spilling soda! how would i fix that problem .. Although today when i opend my center cup holders and everything to run the wires for my new system, i did see a lot of wet spots there..i thought it was Oil but i am sure its sum kinda soda!
What you think i should do man i need my "sport shift" to be fixed man i miss that like crazy !
thanks for your help bro!

Sorry i didnt even realize where i posted this! mods please move this thread to problems and fix!
thanks
Old 04-17-2009, 05:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

It may be driving you nuts but peoples miss information is driving me nuts. The Maint required light doesnt mean your due for something. Its supposed to be reset at every oil change. Its nothing more than a reminder to change your oil. Also your directions for resetting it will not change it but instead change the outside temp reading. You have to push the buttons THEN turn the key to the run position.

The TCS light light is on most likely because of the CEL being on for the trans or O2 code. (it oftens comes on for most CEL problems)
Old 04-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Thread Police Chief

^ if its a reminder to change your oil like you said, then it infact does means its due for something

And mine only comes on like once or twice a year, but I drive 20+K a year. So I guess it has nothing to do with my oil needing to be changed.

And yah thanks, I typed the proceedure backwards

Billu, there are switches inside the shifter that are used to signal you want to change gears while using SS mode. If there is soda or something nasty in there, they could be shorted out or stuck in one position or another. Does that make a little more sense for ya?
Old 04-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
^ if its a reminder to change your oil like you said, then it infact does means its due for something

And mine only comes on like once or twice a year, but I drive 20+K a year. So I guess it has nothing to do with my oil needing to be changed.

And yah thanks, I typed the proceedure backwards

Billu, there are switches inside the shifter that are used to signal you want to change gears while using SS mode. If there is soda or something nasty in there, they could be shorted out or stuck in one position or another. Does that make a little more sense for ya?
But it doesnt come on for any reason. It HAS to be reset at oil changes to remind to do so. If not it will come on at 7500 mile intervals only and not mean a thing.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Thread Police Chief

Good info!
Old 04-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Tl fever...cureless!

Billu, there are switches inside the shifter that are used to signal you want to change gears while using SS mode. If there is soda or something nasty in there, they could be shorted out or stuck in one position or another. Does that make a little more sense for ya? [/QUOTE]

yea it made sence at the first time buddy! my question was.. how to fix it...should i take my center console apoart open everything up and try to clean inside or replace sumthing inside like switches or sensors of nay sort!
thanks for your help my man
Old 04-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Thread Police Chief

try cleaning the area first
Old 04-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Tl fever...cureless!

All of a sudden today when i start the car, sport shift was workign only, so i was changing gears fine with no problem whats so ever, but when i take it to "D4" it stays at 1st gear.......also TCS light was off while that happen...but when irestarted the car sport shift was off again and TCS came on also !
any idea what is wrong here now
Old 04-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Thread Police Chief

take the console out, remove the lower center-dash panel beneath the radio and clean the are up if you can. unhook the switches and use some alcohol and Q-tips on the connectors, or somethig similar. Just unhook the battery first to be safe.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:20 AM
Tl fever...cureless!

take the console out, remove the lower center-dash panel beneath the radio and clean the are up if you can. unhook the switches and use some alcohol and Q-tips on the connectors, or somethig similar. Just unhook the battery first to be safe.
ok cool thats i will try to do that tomorrow after work if i can make time....so after taking the center console out and everything, switches are visible?
Old 04-20-2009, 07:46 AM
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
LISTEN FOR EVERYONE WITH A 99, MY FRIEND HAS A SEXY 99, AND HE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, ONE OF HIS MOUNTS WERE SHOT, SO that helped the Tranny issue in a bad way, but the problem was when he tried to drive the car it only stayed in 1gear in regular drive, he just changed the sensor right by the tranny, the tranny goes I guess when people try to drive it with the CEL on and usually burns shit out, but try changing the sensor ..........once this problem(tranny CEL) occurs I think the car should be parked up
ASAP, plus he has a 99 and thats not even the trannys like the 02-03 5 Spd autoz......but i will check to see what correct year is the sensor!

Last edited by JDM Inspired; 04-20-2009 at 07:51 AM.