check engine/vsa anything to worry about?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 03:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check engine/vsa anything to worry about?

my check engine light came on last month, and everytime i run it later on the vsa and the symbol for vsa came on too, but it turns off when i shut it off and come back as i started driving again. is been like that for the whole month, anyone here experience the same thing? i drove it beside the lights everything else seems normal.

my car is a 2002 tl-s with 26000 miles
Old 09-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
well the check engine light coming on typicall means the SOMETHING is wrong. On hondas the tcs/vsa light often comes on with the check engine light (for some reason honda has it designed this way) Id recomend bringing it in (since it appears in your sig you are still under warranty)
Old 09-28-2005, 09:45 PM
4th Gear

Check engine/vsa light

I have the same problem with my 2003 Tl-S. The check engine and vsa light would turn on and stay on but the car still felt like it was driving normally. When I took it to the dealer they told me that my cylinder's were misfiring. At first they swapped out my ECU for a new one and everything went ok for about two monthes then the lights turned back on. Now they're telling me that the cylinder's are still misfiring. So far they've tried replacing my fuel injectors, all my piston's and putting in a another new ECU (with updated software no less) and it still misfires and now they tell me they have no idea why. It's gotten to the point where the dealership mechanics have had to call an Acura tech support line to tell them what to try next. So long story short I've been without my TL-S for a solid week and I have no idea when I'm going to be getting her back. But at least once I've gotten this ordeal out the way I can go back to waiting for my transmission to randomly self destruct, at this point I'm seriously thinking about trading her in for a Lexus or a BMW.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:39 PM
'02blAcuRAT!! soooCool!!

What a bummer!! That's an awfull lot of work on an engine that felt like it was running strong....dispite what a couple of lights said. Too bad because the tl was, and is, such a good value with the amount of standard features we get....and, for me anyway, a bit more exclusivity at the stoplight than the guy next to me in just another lexus....you know what I mean?
Old 10-20-2005, 10:19 PM
4th Gear

Check engine/vsa light : Update

I got the my TL-S back about three weeks ago and the dealership told me that the miss fire codes were being caused by a loose wiring harness in my engine bay. So I happilly sign my workorder and drive off to work and go about my day and lo and behold the check engine light turns back on when I start her up to go home. So I brought her back to the dealership the next day. Long story short I got my baby back today (two weeks later) and the dealership tells me that all of my problems were being caused by a bent cam pulley WTF? Three weeks ago they opened up the engine covers to replace my pistons and they didn't notice it then? Hard to believe since I looked at the part and it was visibly bent. Naturally they have no idea how it could have gotten bent in the first place, they beleive it came from the factory that way. I'd expect these problems from a Ford (I owned an 1990 Thunderbird that lasted three month's before the engine literally fell apart) but I guess made in America is still made in America regardless of what badge you put on it. This really burns me up because I had such a wonderul experience with my 91 Acura Legend which is over a decade old and is still running strong. But oh well, something tells me this isn't over but maybe next time I'll finnally be able to claim lemon and use the money on a downpayment on an RL unless Acura decides to start manufacturing those in North America as well.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

I have a 04 TL the VSA light and warning light started coming on at various times a couple of weeks ago just like you described. Sometimes the VSA light would come on at start and I could not get the car to come out of park. So I started thinking oh god tranny....

Went to the dealer today and they found that my battery was only producing 390amp vs 550 and my brake switch was going bad (hence no drive). Fixed in 2hrs.