Car hesitates when pressing the gas. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 10:12 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car hesitates when pressing the gas. Help!

Hello, I have a problem with my 99 tl. about 4-5 months i had the transmission replaced at the dealer which was under warranty. well soon after i noticed the car would hesitate/shake and make a big thump noise when i would press on the gas. This would happen from a standstill or when I brake and accelerate from a moving position. I assumed it had something to do with the transmission and brought it in about 2 weeks ago but the dealer said nothing was wrong with the transmission.

Could there be something wrong with the engine?

I'd appreciate any help. I'm not too good with cars

thanks.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:47 AM
B93P TL Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Possibly your spark plugs. All it takes is for one to bad either bad, or not seated properly.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And why don't you ask the dealer what's wrong with your car ?
Since they replace your transmi and the problem start right after !!!!???
Old 06-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you feel as if the motor is shifting back and forth. Sounds like motor mounts are a possiblity.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:35 PM
5th Gear

Thx for the response everyone.

mdavisii- hmm you might be right. how many miles should spark plugs be replaced?

phipark- I'm not sure what you mean by that if the motor is shifting back and forth. but all i know is when i hit the gas the engine starts revving and it takes a second for the car to move and when it does the whole car shakes.

ok i woudl have taken it into the dealer right after this started to happen but my family members have been borrowing the car for the past few months so i rarely get to drive it and i personally have been very busy. I know I don't deserve to own a car especially an acura! I should stick to an old beater civic.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:14 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
sounds like a possible alignment/tire balance issue coinciding with unattended engine maintainence. If you're car hesitates badly you should:

1. check spark plugs or just replace them
2. change oil if you haven't lately
3. check air filter and replace if dirty( and I bet it is)
4. have your alignment checked
5. run some fuel system cleaner the next time you change your oil

doing simple stuff like this makes a world of difference in your cars performance, gas mileage and reliability.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flitty
Thx for the response everyone.

mdavisii- hmm you might be right. how many miles should spark plugs be replaced?

phipark- I'm not sure what you mean by that if the motor is shifting back and forth. but all i know is when i hit the gas the engine starts revving and it takes a second for the car to move and when it does the whole car shakes.

ok i woudl have taken it into the dealer right after this started to happen but my family members have been borrowing the car for the past few months so i rarely get to drive it and i personally have been very busy. I know I don't deserve to own a car especially an acura! I should stick to an old beater civic.
Do you feel an uncomfortable, slight jolt when you start from a stop? Sounds like a motor mount or two.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:48 AM
B93P TL Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flitty
Hello, I have a problem with my 99 tl. about 4-5 months i had the transmission replaced at the dealer which was under warranty. well soon after i noticed the car would hesitate/shake and make a big thump noise when i would press on the gas. This would happen from a standstill or when I brake and accelerate from a moving position. I assumed it had something to do with the transmission and brought it in about 2 weeks ago but the dealer said nothing was wrong with the transmission.

Could there be something wrong with the engine?

I'd appreciate any help. I'm not too good with cars

thanks.

You know what, now that I reread this thread I am leaning toward phipark's thought. When trannys are swapped out on these cars, there always seems to be one engine mount that mysteriously goes bad. Don't know if it is because too much stress on the engine taking the transmission out (or vice versa). Usually they will find the defective one and suggest replacement along with the new tranny. Maybe this got overlooked in your case??? I would take a close look at the front and side mount, these two are most prone to damage.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:50 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mdavisii
You know what, now that I reread this thread I am leaning toward phipark's thought. When trannys are swapped out on these cars, there always seems to be one engine mount that mysteriously goes bad. Don't know if it is because too much stress on the engine taking the transmission out (or vice versa). Usually they will find the defective one and suggest replacement along with the new tranny. Maybe this got overlooked in your case??? I would take a close look at the front and side mount, these two are most prone to damage.

Or......... Its a defective tranny; not very uncommon. My TL had two tranys replaced. One two weeks after the other. The symptons you describe seem to be those of a faulty tranny, delay or hesitation in between shifts accelerating.
I think its a bad tranny. Now its possible you do need a front motor mount, that could cause the thump noise but it defineltly would not create a hesitation.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:55 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine starts revving and it takes a second for the car to move = Transmission problem
Old 06-09-2006, 09:40 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by phipark
Do you feel an uncomfortable, slight jolt when you start from a stop?
yep.

I'm gonna take it into the dealer again and have the mechanic sit in the car with me and directly show them the problem.

thanks for all the response!
Old 06-10-2006, 12:32 AM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
could be a bad mount, but hesitation could be from a whole bunch of different things.