Auto Dimming Mirror is Shot

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 10:19 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Dimming Mirror is Shot

The rearview mirror of my 2000 TL is shot--it doesn't dim any more, and the glass is now distorted. Stupid me, I got the "extended warranty" when I bought the car. It excludes the rearview mirror.

The dealer gave me the number for customer service to see if I could convince them to cover it. Has anyone had success doing this?

I mean, it's not like there's a crack in the glass, or it's normal wear and tear. The electronics are shot. Acura does not even have a manual mirror that it can be replaced with, and a quick Google search shows a site that says Acura mirrors can't even be replace with non-OEM.

It would seem to me that this should be covered--has anyone had success convincing Acura it is?

Many thanks.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:32 AM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Previous TL owners with this issue went directly to Magna Donnelly (makers of the mirror). They maybe able to assist you further. You might be able to a mirror replacement from the manufacture for no cost except shipping and installation.

http://www.donnelly.com
Old 11-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Instructor

Let us know how your research goes. The auto-dimming on mine isn't working either and I hear this is a common problem. The last time I looked into it, no one would help me. But if you get good results somewhere, let everyone else know.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:21 PM
8th Gear

I got NOWHERE with Honda Finance (the service contract administrator); I went up to the manager level. The contract expressly excludes "rearview mirror", but I tried to argue that the electronincs within the mirror, not the glass, are broken, and therefore, it's covered. He didn't buy it. He told me if I'm unhappy with the quality of the parts chosen by Honda, call Honda corporate.

They could care less. I told him I am forced to go back to the dealer, as no aftermarket mirrors are available, he basically told me that I could have duct-taped a mirror over mine, so I did have options. When I told him for the small cost to Honda of not taking care of this, maybe I'd select another brand when I replace this car (seriously considering it anyway). He said "OK, thank you."

The dealer helped me out, though, after a little sweet talking. When I noted I always take it there for service, she "called in a favor" and got the parts comped, but not the labor--which puts me ahead anyway, because I exected to pay a $50 deductible, but the labor was less.

Good luck with your mirror.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:48 PM
they go wooooot wooooot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just said screw it and bought a used one on EBAY that was guranteed to work and TADA, installed and wired up, works good. Altogther, i got it shipped for 81, but i could have waited and scoped auctions out but i got lazy.

just my $.02...
Old 11-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by Bareback
Previous TL owners with this issue went directly to Magna Donnelly (makers of the mirror). They maybe able to assist you further. You might be able to a mirror replacement from the manufacture for no cost except shipping and installation.

http://www.donnelly.com

I believe they stopped that a few months ago.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:22 AM
Cruisin'

My mirror had a "meltdown" when I parked the car for a few days in the hot sun at an airport, the black liquid in it leaked out and dripped all over the gear shift. I replaced it with a new one for about $80 at: http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/

The liquid, whatever it is, cleaned up fairly well will alcohol.

Trending Topics

Old 11-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tex2670
The rearview mirror of my 2000 TL is shot--it doesn't dim any more, and the glass is now distorted. Stupid me, I got the "extended warranty" when I bought the car. It excludes the rearview mirror.

The dealer gave me the number for customer service to see if I could convince them to cover it. Has anyone had success doing this?

I mean, it's not like there's a crack in the glass, or it's normal wear and tear. The electronics are shot. Acura does not even have a manual mirror that it can be replaced with, and a quick Google search shows a site that says Acura mirrors can't even be replace with non-OEM.

It would seem to me that this should be covered--has anyone had success convincing Acura it is?

Many thanks.
Auto Dimming Mirror - POTENTIAL HEALTH HAZARD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rearview mirror in my 2000 TL leaked a black liquid all over my gear shift. This liquid actually corroded the silver plate that runs around the gear shift and left black specs all over my carpet and seats.

When I took my car into my Acura dealer, they replaced it FREE of charge AND cleaned the interior and exterior of the car thoroughly. The dealer said this happens quite frequently and that the manufacturer gives away these $300+ mirrors for free. Isn't that referred to as a secret warranty? Why are they giving literally 100's of 1000's of these mirrors away for free? Is it possible that the chemical they used in these mirrors manufactured prior to 2001 was toxic? Magna Donnelly started using a new polymer (trademarked) gel in their mirrors manufactured after 2000, which didn't leak out and was 'SAFER TO THE PUBLIC'.

I asked the service guy what the liquid consisted of and he stated mercury. When I asked the dealer if this substance was toxic, he said he didn't know.

I did some research and discovered that Magna Donnelly manufacturers these mirrors. I sent several e-mails and left several voice messages (with Exec Mgt) with Magna Donnelly, but didn't receive a response for several days. Then, I started receiving UNDELIVERABLE e-mails from customer care e-mail address. They had gone so far as to disable their customer care e-mail account. At first, I thought it might be coincidental, but I no longer feel this to be true.

I finally received a telephone call from Mr. Niall Lynam (one of the VP's and top shareholders). I explained to him that the service guy at Acura said these mirrors contain mercury. I asked him..."If this chemical can corrode the silver plate around my gear shift, then what was it doing to me and my 13-yr-old daughter when we inhaled it while sitting in a hot car in the Florida sun?" He stated that he didn't 'BELIEVE' that the chemical used in their mirrors consisted of mercury or that is was toxic. However, he wouldn't send me a letter, fax or e-mail confirming this statement.

I have had a sore throat, frequent headaches, blood in my urine (antibiotics won't cure) and have had a low-grade fever (off an on) for the last month.

Do you have any information on this?
Old 11-25-2005, 10:28 AM
Intermediate

Auto Dimming Mirror - POTENTIAL HEALTH HAZARD

The rearview mirror in my 2000 TL leaked a black liquid all over my gear shift. This liquid actually corroded the silver plate that runs around the gear shift and left black specs all over my carpet and seats.

When I took my car into my Acura dealer, they replaced it FREE of charge AND cleaned the interior and exterior of the car thoroughly. The dealer said this happens quite frequently and that the manufacturer gives away these $300+ mirrors for free. Isn't that referred to as a secret warranty? Why are they giving literally 100's of 1000's of these mirrors away for free? Is it possible that the chemical they used in these mirrors manufactured prior to 2001 was toxic? Magna Donnelly started using a new polymer (trademarked) gel in their mirrors manufactured after 2000, which didn't leak out and was 'SAFER TO THE PUBLIC'.

I asked the service guy what the liquid consisted of and he stated mercury. When I asked the dealer if this substance was toxic, he said he didn't know.

I did some research and discovered that Magna Donnelly manufacturers these mirrors. I sent several e-mails and left several voice messages (with Exec Mgt) with Magna Donnelly, but didn't receive a response for several days. Then, I started receiving UNDELIVERABLE e-mails from customer care e-mail address. They had gone so far as to disable their customer care e-mail account. At first, I thought it might be coincidental, but I no longer feel this to be true.

I finally received a telephone call from Mr. Niall Lynam (one of the VP's and top shareholders). I explained to him that the service guy at Acura said these mirrors contain mercury. I asked him..."If this chemical can corrode the silver plate around my gear shift, then what was it doing to me and my 13-yr-old daughter when we inhaled it while sitting in a hot car in the Florida sun?" He stated that he didn't 'BELIEVE' that the chemical used in their mirrors consisted of mercury or that is was toxic. However, he wouldn't send me a letter, fax or e-mail confirming this statement.

I have had a sore throat, frequent headaches, blood in my urine (antibiotics won't cure) and have had a low-grade fever (off an on) for the last month.

Do you have any information on this?
Old 11-25-2005, 10:59 AM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
mine hasn't worked since I got my car 2 and a half years ago. not a big deal to me, but would be nice if it worked. Personally I like the old tried and true flip mirrors. they are easy to use, perform same effect and have no electronics or chemicals in them. I think everyone should stick with the old flip mirror. I guess manufactures think auto dimming mirrors as an option sounds cool and is another thing dealers can point out. Personally I could care less and I am sure most don't give a damn either. Here is yet another instance where Acura is not taking care of it's customers, although the last post indicates they did.