Acura TL overheating?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 09:08 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Acura TL overheating?!?!?!?

I desperately need help with my 2003 Acura T.L 3.2l base model... Here is the problem: My car was having issues with overheating, so my husband took my thermostat completely for the time being (which helped for almost a week), but it keeps overheating and now my check engine light is on. It had an extreme overheating incident and got so hot my car engine kinda stuttered and then died. My temperature gauge was stuck in place reading well above the "H" mark for a few days following this. Now my gauge is back to reading normally. My husband looked at my car and noticed that 2 of the small hoses that are underneath the intake (one goes to the heater core) have busted. My main radiator hoses have a lot of pressure on them as well after driving my car. What could cause this to be overheating? Is there another thermostat in my car or what could be clogged up or something? Someone please help because this is my only means of transportation to and from work. Thank you in advanced.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
IMO: ( " It had an extreme overheating incident and got so hot my car engine kinda stuttered and then died. My temperature gauge was stuck in place reading well above the "H" mark for a few days following this. " ) NOT A GOOD THING! If, the leaking heater hoses have been replaced, the leak corrected, and a new thermostat installed, ( THERE IS ONLY ONE THERMOSTAT ) , it's prudent, to have the check engine CODE read, to determine it's cause. Overheating any engine, to the degree, you indicated, can cause serious damage to the engine! If, your car is still overheating, assuming the thermostat has been renewed, there are no coolant leaks, and the system has been {BURPED) , properly, the next step, would be to check the operation of the cooling fans. A quick SEARCH, on this Forum, will explain, how to check for proper fan operation. Another area of importance, is to insure, that the thermostat, has been installed, in the correct orientation, not backwards, or upside down! Hopefully, the cylinder head gasket, was not compromised, when the engine shut down, from overheat.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:54 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by frankjnjr
IMO: ( " It had an extreme overheating incident and got so hot my car engine kinda stuttered and then died. My temperature gauge was stuck in place reading well above the "H" mark for a few days following this. " ) NOT A GOOD THING! If, the leaking heater hoses have been replaced, the leak corrected, and a new thermostat installed, ( THERE IS ONLY ONE THERMOSTAT ) , it's prudent, to have the check engine CODE read, to determine it's cause. Overheating any engine, to the degree, you indicated, can cause serious damage to the engine! If, your car is still overheating, assuming the thermostat has been renewed, there are no coolant leaks, and the system has been {BURPED) , properly, the next step, would be to check the operation of the cooling fans. A quick SEARCH, on this Forum, will explain, how to check for proper fan operation. Another area of importance, is to insure, that the thermostat, has been installed, in the correct orientation, not backwards, or upside down! Hopefully, the cylinder head gasket, was not compromised, when the engine shut down, from overheat.
Assuming the heads aren't warped from the over-heating :/ OP should look into getting a new car if the engine is damaged beyond repair if the overheating issue is solved.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn car . no no overheating issues yet but on the wayhome last night got codes po420 po175 po172 andpo443
what is making it run rich and whats up with the catalyst efficiecy below threshhold
Old 08-26-2020, 02:43 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overheating

I have a 06 Acura TL and had the same problem. Come to find out, the head gasket was bad. I didn't have the money to have it replaced so I went to Auto Zone and bought Blue Devil and put that in the oil and it fixed the problem. Just follow the directions carefully. It works.