01 Acura Tl 2 lower brake lights out 3rd is fine

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 11:23 AM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool 01 Acura Tl 2 lower brake lights out 3rd is fine

I have tried changing out the 4 bulbs that are supposed to be replaced for the running lights/ brake light combo. All turn signals and hazards and everything work fine. I have replaced the Stop 20A fuse and the turn signal 7.5a fuse. I have ordered a new turn signal switch, as I have read that may have something to do with the brake lights inability to use the different power flux needed to register the using of the brake lights. Car will move gears just fine, also just had the second alternator go out(remanufactured) and this light issue happened to line up near the time of the alternator going out. Had to drive car with no alternator or tensioner and serpentine belt to get the alternator to the mechanic, but the lights were out then also. Now that it is back from the fix, the brake lights still are not illuminating. I would appreciate greatly any advice or wisdom for such a matter. I Have replaced the rubber deal on the brake pedal previously when brake lights would stay on. Have been reading that because the 3rd brake light comes on, that it means there most likely is zero issues with the brake pedal switch. Any recommendations will be highly appreciated!
Old 11-26-2023, 04:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
Hi, a lot of these things are unrelated to your brake lights not functioning...

If I understand correctly, one (or two?) of the lower 4 light bulbs are not lighting up?

is it just one?

If so then the other works?

I think that the bulbs get spliced near that area, have you looked for where those wires combine before they run to the front?

Do you have a multimeter to confirm that the socket is getting power? might be best to work backwards from there.
The following users liked this post:
WorthTheGrind (11-27-2023)
Old 11-27-2023, 10:42 AM
6th Gear

reply to whitetiger5

Both lower running lights are running fine. When I press the brake pedal, the two lower brake lights are not functioning properly. They are lighting up just fine as running lights, but from my understanding they are not being told to use the other filament (which should happen upon receiving the signal from the brake light switch when pedal is pressed) but alas only the third light illuminates when i press the brake pedal. I do have a multimeter, and am happy to use it wherever is recommended for this issue. Thank you for your time and advice so far!
Old 11-27-2023, 11:41 PM
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 165 Posts
Hi, First do you have a copy of the service manual? You can download it HERE. You can search the PDF for Brake Lights and there is a lot of information. I am posting a pic from the manual as it shows that the 3rd brake light has a separate circuit than the normal brake lights.

Last edited by Jon M; 11-27-2023 at 11:55 PM.
WorthTheGrind (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 10:42 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Jon M
Hi, First do you have a copy of the service manual? You can download it HERE. You can search the PDF for Brake Lights and there is a lot of information. I am posting a pic from the manual as it shows that the 3rd brake light has a separate circuit than the normal brake lights.

The 5 pins with 2? Seeming to have a melted ring at base

The 6 pin plug

The multimeter

When 6 pin is unplugged
whitetiger5 (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 11:23 AM
6th Gear

actually the brake light indicator was only on this time because i had the parking brake on. It did not come on due to being unplugged during diagnostics as initially thought, also the dropbox wont let me search as i could only access it on my phone, so there is no way for me to find or search for key words brake and lights, although I greatly appreciate the manual pdf!

Old 11-28-2023, 01:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
Now we have some useful information. The brake indicator you have shown is not for the brake lamp, that's for the brake fluid reservoir. You should check the brake fluid level.

note: sometimes the float inside does get stuck (with cold weather) and will register as being low when indeed it is fine.

this still doesn't explain your issue with the brake lights not illuminating...
WorthTheGrind (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 01:52 PM
6th Gear

Thank you, and also Agreed, currently on pause for step 5 until I have somebody here to help me press the brake pedal while checking the plug. removed everything that was pulled for alternator work and could not find any grounds loose or that were just missing the bolt. Just trying to double check along there and wheel well for obvious answers.