Tell me everything i need to know about the UR Crank Pulley???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 06:38 PM
99TL-p 114K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Tell me everything i need to know about the UR Crank Pulley???

What are the pros and cons?
Could i expect any future problems from the UR Crank Pulley?
Will i need new belts' or a new belt by having the UR Crank Pulley put in?
If so what new belts' or belt will i need exactly?
Any heads up on the UR Crank Pulley would be appreciated. Thankyou.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:55 PM
The wood god

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only pully that gives you proven gains, that's all I can say about it.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

I get mine installed next week ill post an update on this thread otherwise do a search it helped me a lot before i bought mine......And you do need new belts
Old 01-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Advanced

pro= better throttle response and some more power. no cons
no i wouldnt expect any future problems, i havent had any with mine
you need 2 new belts for the installation
search to find the part numbers.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:51 PM
TL-S driver

actually there is one con, not a big one but one non the less. The AC does no kick in as quickly for some unknown reason. Other then that, the gains are significant. You should also know that it will take a few days before you really feel it, give the cars computer a day or so to "learn" how you drive.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:25 AM
Safety Car

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/underdrive/pulley.shtml

read here and go down to "update read" talks about the problem with the main bearings being pre-maturley worn, since the aftermarket pulley doesent prevent any harmonic problems. in other words its not balanced and it shows on the main bearings. im not sayin you will have immediate problems but you will def lower the life on your motor..
Old 01-09-2006, 07:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by wilp99

read here and go down to "update read" talks about the problem with the main bearings being pre-maturley worn, since the aftermarket pulley doesent prevent any harmonic problems. in other words its not balanced and it shows on the main bearings. im not sayin you will have immediate problems but you will def lower the life on your motor..

I think you need to read up a bit more. On a Prelude, I could see premature wear. The Prelude has a harmonic balancer on the crankshaft. It's designed to deal with crank pulley vibrations.

The TL thankfully does not utilize a harmonic balancer.

Here's some more posts on what a HB is and proof that our cars do not have them,
Old 01-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Like NSXNEXT said. you need to read up on them a little more. The TL engine Doesnt have that type of crank shaft pulley. The TL doenst have a harmonic balancer on its pulley that would cause that type of bearing wear
Old 01-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts

Please do not spread internet hearsay about the crank pulleys if you are not sure of the vehicle you are talking about. You have to be careful b/c noobs believe everything they see on the forums.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:07 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
better throttle response, more low end torque, smoother idle and overall engine operation, lighter and responsive steering(and I don't have the power steering pulley, weird?). cons= you will be hitting v-tec more often because you love the new found power and your gas mileage will go down some, if that's a con, not to me! UR pulley is awesome, very nice gains!
Old 01-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Only con I can find is the install. It sounds like a PITA to get that bolt off to remove the OEM crank pulley. Other than that, I'm really thinking about this one. And I'm a non-modder.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Racer

I'm a non-modder, non DIY'er, no skills whatsoever type of guy, but even I've got the bug on this one. Made some calls yesterday to see who will install it in my area. Acura won't and one other place I called around here won't. I'll keep trying though because this sounds really good...
Old 01-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dug-mac
I'm a non-modder, non DIY'er, no skills whatsoever type of guy, but even I've got the bug on this one. Made some calls yesterday to see who will install it in my area. Acura won't and one other place I called around here won't. I'll keep trying though because this sounds really good...
Just about any independant mechanics garage will. Its a simple thing to do
Old 01-22-2006, 09:17 PM
Drivin' it till it dies!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Are there any special tools/instructions needed to remove/install the crank pulley?

I'm about to order the Ultra SS set (three pulleys). It looks like the alternator and ps pulleys are self explanatory, but on the instructions listed on UR's website, it says to consult the repair manual for removing the crank pulley. Any input from people who have done it would be appreciated.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:40 PM
I need 2 more gears

I have learned using a pulley holder and long break bar is the best way because a lot of impact wrenchs aren't strong enough to get the crank pulley bolt loose. If you are not a hrd core DYI'r I would have a mechanic do it. I do as much as I can myself, but didn't want to mess with the crank pulley because it is so important to the life and proper operation of your engine.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by sbuswell
I have learned using a pulley holder and long break bar is the best way because a lot of impact wrenchs aren't strong enough to get the crank pulley bolt loose. If you are not a hrd core DYI'r I would have a mechanic do it. I do as much as I can myself, but didn't want to mess with the crank pulley because it is so important to the life and proper operation of your engine.
Thanks for the response!

I'm pretty sure I can handle it, I was just wondering what exactly the service manual says about taking the crank pulley off.

Will I be doing any harm by using extensive force on the pulley nut (loosening/tightening to specified torque)?

Is that where I would need the pulley holder (used to stop the pulley from spinning, I assume)?
Old 01-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Senior Moderator

its nothing special, once you get teh belts off you remove the crank bolt. (which can be a the hardest part, there are acouple ways of removing it) you may need a pulley puller (can rent at most auto parts stores) and remove the pully. Then just reinstall the new goods
Old 01-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey pistacio,does your car scrap all the time??I had to recently raise my car to two finger gap,got tired of scraping plus I was on my second set of megans headers already..........lol
Old 01-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

I love your drop,TL looks sweet on the ground
Old 01-22-2006, 10:48 PM

Thanks fsttyms1!! I didn't think there was too much involved, thanks for confirming.

Just ordered them and I can't wait!!

Thanks Phesto! The pics I have are when I had the air ride installed (what a PITA!! that was) and was parked. I couldn't drive that low,lol. It did look sweet laid out and I'm going to miss it, but since I removed the air ride I'm dropped on coilovers now, but not much higher than the pics! I have about 1 to 1 1/2 fingers in front, and zero to 1/2? in back. I'll have to get some pics up soon. I don't really scrape, it just takes some careful driving.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Whats Your next MOD pistacio? And what type of coilovers did you get?

I am wondering if my grill would look as nice as yours,if it were painted AM.Very Unique,Very NIce
Old 01-23-2006, 07:05 AM
Safety Car

funny i must have one of the odd tl-s motors out there with one on..

clearly has the rubber mating the two pieces togather which would eliminate the crankshaft twist (not vibration like everyone thinks, vibration is just the outcome of too much crankshaft twist.). oh yea and the 4 "balancing" holes drilled into the inertia section of the balancer or "pulley" if you want to call it that. our engines (as well as the h22a4) might be internally balanced but theres no way "internally" to eliminate the crankshaft twist which only occurrs on the pulley end of the crankshaft. i have done my homework, and have been doin it for the past 5 years fixing cars. both heavy and light maintenance.. and just so have it i am also an aircraft mechanic in the airforce and have been doing that for the past 10 years. i dont claim to know everything as i do learn new stuff almost every time i work on a car, but the basic understanding of how things work i pretty much have covered. just to keep on subject the crankshaft pulley will not do any immediate dammage but it will shorten the life of your crank bearings.. could be alot could be alittle.. every crank is different. good luck pimps..
Old 01-23-2006, 07:10 AM
Safety Car

and i NEVER said it wouldnt help, i was just giving the downside to adding one.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
I've been snooping around thinking about the pulley for a while. I've been holding back because I think I remember hearing about how the comptech supercharger can't coexist with the UR Pulley. And since i plan on S'C'ing soon, I wouldnt get the pulley since it'd be out in a few months anyway. Does anyone know if this is true? Or should i begin extensively searching the CL forum
Old 01-24-2006, 12:41 AM
Intermediate

If i was going to get the UR crank pulley, i would get the underdrive one right? because the stock one wouldnt change anything would it?
Old 01-24-2006, 06:59 AM
99 SSM Tl

Unorthodox website ... :

Standard Belt Layout (Underdrive)

Our pulley sets provide most of the power gains through weight loss (80-85%). The remaining part of the gains from these pulleys comes from underdriving of all the accessories (15-20%).
Old 02-12-2006, 10:43 PM
99TL-p 114K

Question My Last Questions and Concerns about the UR Crank Pulley before i order it

Ok, Here are my last few questions and concerns i have about the UR Crank Pulley for the 99TL. Please answer my questions if you have the answers to them.

1. Can someone please explain to me why u have to change BOTH belts when your only changing one pulley that runs on one belt, that is not attached to the other belt??? Or am i all wrong?

2. Are there any fitment problems with using the Gates brand belt sizes that UR suggests for use with the Crank Pulley? For example..... Do the Gates Brand Belt sizes fit nice and tight around the pulley, like is the tension nice and tight and not loose??

3. Why do i have to change the belts when having the Crank Pulley Installed, i know i need to, i just wana know why you have to??? For example..... is it because the UR crank pulley is smaller in size or bigger in size???

4. What affect is the UR Crank pulley going to have on the Air Conditioning and anything else thats electrical on my 99TL??? Is it going to mess up the Bose Headunit or not supply as much power to the bose amp and what not??? Is my dash lighting going to become less bright and more dim???

I need these answered ASAP, wana order the pulley tommorow but not until these questions are answered. Thanks alot for anyone that can help.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:45 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, I take a shoot and answer your question up to my knowledge.
1. You need to change both belt because the crank pulley connect to both belts. I might be wrong on this since I have the whole pulley sets.
2. I have no issue with fitment on mine car so far for almost 3 weeks.
3. If you order underdrive pulleys, then yes, you need to change the belt because the crank pulley is smaller 20% than stock one. If you order stock size pulley, then my guess that you dont need to change the belt.
4. I have not notice any different in AC power, radio, headlights, or any electrical issue since installed 3 weeks ago.

Hope it help.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:46 AM
99TL-p 114K

Originally Posted by LacViet
Ok, I take a shoot and answer your question up to my knowledge.
1. You need to change both belt because the crank pulley connect to both belts. I might be wrong on this since I have the whole pulley sets.
2. I have no issue with fitment on mine car so far for almost 3 weeks.
3. If you order underdrive pulleys, then yes, you need to change the belt because the crank pulley is smaller 20% than stock one. If you order stock size pulley, then my guess that you dont need to change the belt.
4. I have not notice any different in AC power, radio, headlights, or any electrical issue since installed 3 weeks ago.

Hope it help.
Thanks alot though. I already ordered it monday and its been on its way to me. Hopefully i get it by friday so i can get it installed this weekend. I was also able to get the belts i needed as well. Oh, and im also gona do a before and after video presentation of the performance gained from the pulley so everyone can see what type of affect it really does have on the TL. I cant wait to do that.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:57 PM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

any one else have any opinions on the electrical system with the underdrive pulleys. IE loss of power
Old 02-26-2006, 03:21 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rpappi
any one else have any opinions on the electrical system with the underdrive pulleys. IE loss of power
This has been discussed a bazillion times. (Try a search) It's also discussed at the UR site and it's not a matter of opinion. Unless you're running a megawatt system (over 500) you wont notice a difference.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:58 PM
99TL-p 114K

No, no electrical difference once pulley is installed. Everything will be the same.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:00 PM
99 SSM Tl

For me between 12.5 and 13.5V with the pulley (at idle) .. i dont know before ..
Old 02-26-2006, 05:03 PM
I need 2 more gears

no problems here either. just get it, it's a great mod.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought stock size urpulley. 20,000 miles with pulley car runs great!
2002 tl type-s with 120000 hard miles on it