stacking throttle body spacer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
stacking throttle body spacer?

The p2r tb spacers are 3/4 inch. Is it possible and would it produce more gain if i were to stack 2 spacers so its at 1.5 inch?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:27 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
stacking is possible, but i don't think you would gain more power though with 2 of them
Old 01-18-2010, 02:45 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it's more for cooling air then hp gain, so i would say stay with one.
Correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:18 AM
philly flickin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Colder air makes more power
Old 01-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by jaMezBOI
but the first spacer is already blocking the heat, adding a 2nd one isnt going to make the air colder. If that were the case they would have designed them that thick to begin with.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:00 AM
so fast it hurts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
but the first spacer is already blocking the heat, adding a 2nd one isnt going to make the air colder. If that were the case they would have designed them that thick to begin with.
They are probably as thick as they need to be for most gain, but not so thick as it wastes money on extra al.

To make it colder getting it machined so you could run co2 threw the body (not into the intake) so it would get colder and make the air colder.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:53 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jaMezBOI
i meant, two of them won't make it colder neither more hp.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:59 PM
philly flickin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mastini
i meant, two of them won't make it colder neither more hp.
Nah, there wont be any difference. If you have the throttle body thermal gasket, that will take most of the heat from the throttle body. Then the spacer just keeps the throttle body from touching the intake manifold, which also will decrease the heat.

Basically what happens is the cold air that is coming into the intake is passing through the intake pipe then goes through the throttle body and into the intake manifold. When the cold air passes through a hot throttle body and hot intake manifold it heats the cold air you were getting from the beginning. Adding the spacers and thermal gaskets cools the temperatures of the throttle body and intake manifold which keeps the air colder so you can free up more horsepower.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:28 PM
10th Gear

body spacer

Do you need any tweak and peak or any adjustment with this mod?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Is P2R worth it?

I already have Thermoblock spacers in my 01 CLS. Will it the P2R throttle body spacer be an effective addition??
Old 05-06-2016, 11:57 PM
2nd Gear

Hey aznccnsh,

I just recently came across your post on stacking throttle body spacers. I will be the one to GIVE YOU FIRST hand experience with this, instead of a little guess or i think kind of answer.
I own an 2003 Jeep grand cherokee with the 4.0L Inline 6 Motor.
Before i could purchase an AirRaid throttle body spacer, i bought an econoaid spacer which was a cheaper version of a real spacer.
Any improvement? Absolutely, about a 5 MPG Gain,
After having enough funds to buy a real AirRaid spacer, i thought about installing it With the Econoaid spacer. What was my highway MPG? According to jeeps specs for highway mileage, the stock on my model was 21.5 mph highway. With Both throttle body spacers installed, and cold air intake. Huge increase gave me 35 Miles per gallon going 70MPH on Interstate-40 heading to work with no wind and perfect weather.
Now i do not have all kinds of weight, racks, tow or off road gear on my jeep, for that it is my daily driver. But i will show you a Video on youtube of my jeep and the mpg on the highway. with both throttle body spacers installed. Keep in mind i have done some weight reduction and such, this also has helped with fuel.
But please keep note, that This may not work for EVERY SINGLE vehicle. Because the Intake manifold design is built differently, some designs may even restrict the air from reaching to the fuel in the cylinders properly because of a throttle body spacer.
This is a project you really have to try for yourself when it comes to stacking throttle body spacers. It wont damage your car, But it can very well give a major kick in the rear and add major torque and Hp. Also your whistle noise under the hood could sound more loud. With newer cars and Throttle body spacers, they are designed to stir the air into a tornado form, providing dense cooler air, before being mixed with the fuel. (fuel injected motors.) 2 May not work with Carburetor motors.

Your ecm will eventually recognize that your gaining great power and torque by measuring the air with your Mass air flow sensor, IAT Sensor, and Idol Air Controlve Valve. Eventually adjusting the ignition timing for better fuel mileage. You will still have great power because of the mixed and vortex air, but you need to keep in mind that keeping your stock intake box, intake filter, all of the intake assembly, your basically wasting money. Grab a cold air intake and filter, Even the universal ones do a fantastic job. Which is what i have.

Hope this helps!

Video here:
Old 05-07-2016, 12:22 AM
2nd Gear

Some more information i feel that i need to put out on my last post. The motor in my jeep is an Inline 6, The firing order, is different and all of the cylinders are in one single row. Compared to a Dodge ram with a V6 motor, Which i previously had in 2013, I could only install 1 throttle body spacer with out making any major modifications. But one did a really good job. Increased up to 29mpg on the highway.
I will include a photo of my intake manifold for the jeep to show why having 1 or 2 throttle body spacers is the best idea to invest.
The blue circles on the left photo is the Spacer, The red Arrows on the right photo is direct air hitting the bottom surface of the manifold before it reaches to what ever cylinder it wants to go to.