OBX or Megan????

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 08:26 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OBX or Megan????

I am going to get headers. Ether OBX or Megan. I have heard negative comments from both on a accord forum. What do u guys use? Tell me everythinggggggggg. haha. Thanks. I really appreciate it.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:17 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i'm really happy with my megans. i wrapped them with header wrap for $40 and the resonance is gone. took me 30 minutes to put all the wrap on. i gained almost 19whp and the price was right. i recommend them personally.

SSTS
Old 09-23-2005, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
comptech, the obx have been known to have TONS of problems with the TL members. cracked and cracking welds, resonance, fitment issues.

Do a search and see which brands are most recomended.
Id say comptech alphawerks and megan batch 4
Old 09-23-2005, 09:21 AM
New ride...Acura MDX 2013

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMHO I wouldn't waste my money on either of them, personally I would buy the Alphawerks, Megan and OBX are just cheap imitaions, if I'm not mistaken the Megans are still having resonance issues (after 4 batches), I had a dealing with OBX a while back with a different car and will never trust them again, spend a little more and buy the Alphawerks, I've got them on my car and have had zero problems, I put them on myself and they fit great, they are as close to the Comptechs without the $1000 price tag, I believe there is still a group buy going on, remember that this is my but from what I've read this is the way to go.

good luck, Jeff
Old 09-23-2005, 10:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
I have Alpha Werks in stock for $385 shipped.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i will in touch with you Excelerate
Old 09-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what kind of gains should i expect from Alps Werks?... Compared to the expensive comptech's
Old 09-23-2005, 04:41 PM
Scru U guyz, Im Goin Home

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
comptech, the obx have been known to have TONS of problems with the TL members. cracked and cracking welds, resonance, fitment issues.

^REALZ

I bought OBX about 15 months ago before doing a search and hearing about all the problems peaple have had.

In simple terms: I've had ZERO problems with mine but I wouldn't buy them again, Comptechs next time forsure.

Megens seem to have a lot of fitment problems as well as resonence problems so if the budget's tight, Alphaworks i guess would be the next best thing......although i havent heard too much either way about them.

Good luck
Old 09-23-2005, 06:00 PM
On the way!

Originally Posted by pchong154
what kind of gains should i expect from Alps Werks?... Compared to the expensive comptech's
The same. They are just about identical. Megans have a slightly different setup on how the rear bank comes into the main pipe. It's at a 90 degree angle, whereas the Comptech, Alphawerks, and OBX are angled to push the exhaust towards the rear.

I have OBX's. I've had them welded twice for cracking and they now have a worse resonance problem than before. Enough!

I bought the Alphawerks headers through Excelerate's group buy. Hopefully I'll get them next week.

Trust me - they will be installed the day I get them!
Old 09-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Racer

Megans 4th Batch DONT have fitment problems at all. Megan was even kindly enough to do a recall or replace the downpipe for all the older ones. I dont see any other brands doing that except for comptech. AW even had the o2 hole welded in the wrong place and a few really bad welds. Please read all the threads carefully. I have seen members starting up a new thread apologizing for blaming the resonance/metallice noise on the megan header when they found out their cat pan is loose or they were missing a bolt. Read all the threads carefully and be fair to all brands. People here just follow what the monkey does and all no idea what they are talking about.

Comptech is the best brand. Between megan and alphawerks, Ill say they are the same with slightly different design and a cost difference of 150 bucks(megans are in the mid 200 on ebay and AW are 385 here). Obx is out of the question because it cracks.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:12 AM
Racer

Got my Megans a week agao, no fitment problems what so ever. Price wise I choose Megans, do not see anything wrong with them, nothing bothers me really about them. Megans-$230 and AlphaWerks-$385
Old 09-24-2005, 12:55 AM
Comptech Freak

neither

i go with comptech, can't be more happy than that
Old 09-24-2005, 09:50 AM
In 702, 808 in Dreams

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought my megans like 2 months back and i just installed them yesterday by myself. it was a great fit. i could not ask for a better fit for the price. although i have this bee buzzing or some sort of squeek noise. on the start up its normal but when im on the gas this sound comes out im not sure if its the resonence or what but the fit was good and the quality is stainless so im not complaining. i would recomend them for the price. !!! pretty good quality and im just assuming the sound will go away once i get it breaked in!!! its a good buy. if i had the money i would go with the comptech. but if you dont go with the megans cant go wrong with the price.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:05 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

[QUOTE=keepingitclean]Megans 4th Batch DONT have fitment problems at all. Megan was even kindly enough to do a recall or replace the downpipe for all the older ones. [\QUOTE]

do you mean the one from like 4 months ago or are they doing it again? who does the "recall" affect? i don't even know what batch i have.

SSTS
Old 09-25-2005, 02:10 PM
@ slide or die @

Megan does everything the cheap way. i will never buy anything from them. notice all of their products are at the bottom of the food chain.

I've had the OBX Stainless Steel header for 2years. I had a resonance problem, but i recently found out the resonnace was caused by loose bolts. I simply hardcore-tighten the downpipe-header bolts and my friend, the resonance has been gone ever since!

I did the same thing to my friend's CL with Megan headers and it killed the resoanance as well. Conclusion: resonance = not tight enough.

Also, the most likely reason why welds brake in the headers is presicely becuase of the vibration the resonnance causes (for your general knowlege, resoannce=vibration). So, eliminate vibration and you'll probably have headers that'll last a long time.

BUT, the OBX gave me a bit of a fitment problem, but nothing a friend and plenty of force coulnt fix to get the bolts thru.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:57 AM
Racer

Recall was done almost a year ago. Everyone who bought the headers from an authorized dealer will get a replacement downpipe.

Etxxz, thank you for clearing up the vibration issue. But how does megan do everything the cheap way? Keep in mind that they have their own r&d, same quality steel with no cracks report to date, even a recall on headers that no one except for comptech is doing. I think Megan is instead spending a lot of money in order to satisfy their customers. You need to keep in mind that they only have simple bolt ons for the Tl. I dont really think tl is a large enough market for them to drop so much dough if they didnt want to take care of their customers. I find its kind of ironic that you dont have any support for your remarks. Can you please elaborate on that part.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:12 AM
All go, no show

Originally Posted by fla-tls
The same. They are just about identical. Megans have a slightly different setup on how the rear bank comes into the main pipe. It's at a 90 degree angle, whereas the Comptech, Alphawerks, and OBX are angled to push the exhaust towards the rear.

I have OBX's. I've had them welded twice for cracking and they now have a worse resonance problem than before. Enough!

I bought the Alphawerks headers through Excelerate's group buy. Hopefully I'll get them next week.

Trust me - they will be installed the day I get them!

Sorry to swing offtopic, but did the same weld crack twice on the OBXs? Or were these 2 diff cracks? Reason I ask is because I'm thinking about having a crack rewelded on some Alphawerks, but don't want to do it if it doesn't hold.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:17 AM
Mr. 2tone

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
MEGAN!!!...thats what i say...i love mine...no probs what so ever...mines from the 3rd batch
Old 09-26-2005, 02:17 AM
Racer

No Steve yours is from the fourth
Old 09-26-2005, 07:27 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by keepingitclean
Recall was done almost a year ago. Everyone who bought the headers from an authorized dealer will get a replacement downpipe.
hmm, i wonder if my vendor was authorized or not...but i damaged my downpipe anyway so it doesn't really matter. no resonance with the header wrap on

SSTS