mechanical front license plate idea

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 11:57 AM
ninety nine tee ell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mechanical front license plate idea

arite, i got this idea from seeing a lot of people on here complain (me being one of them) about not being able to take off their front plates due to cops/laws. so why not make it so that we can instantly display our front plates when we pass a cop or get pulled over? my idea is to make something that you can hit a panic button from inside the car and the license plate slides out and turns up into place (kinda like the tv head units do). it shouldnt be hard to do, i was thinkin to get some kind of servo from a junkyard like the one that controlled the flip up lights on old vettes. it would also be a pretty badass feature to show off at car shows. what do you all think?
Old 07-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
*insert james bond theme music here*
Old 07-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
1 - there isn't going to be enough room inside the bumper to hid the license plate and bracket. I think it will bump into the radiator before it's completely inside the bumper
2 - I still think you'll get ticketed
Old 07-14-2006, 01:09 PM
ninety nine tee ell

well id have to rig it some how to only go in so far.. im pretty sure the height of plate is shorter than the distance from the bumper to the radiator.

how would you still get ticketed if the cop walks in
front of your car and sees the plate? hes not going to know that its machine operated unless he crawls underneath the front bumper...
Old 07-14-2006, 01:29 PM
Banned

long time ago, my cousins friend's boyfriend owned a z24, and for his rear, he had a switch or something, forgot, i was young, and when u hit it, it like flipped over the plate, and had a middle finger on it, rofl was pretty cool when u think of it..

i would say its easier to do that type of thing in the rear, compared to the front..
Old 07-14-2006, 01:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah there was a girl with a 3-series BMW at one of the Jersey meets who's rear plate folded down and she had a bunch of bright white lights that would blind the person behind her. Remind me not to tailgate behind her.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Yeah there was a girl with a 3-series BMW at one of the Jersey meets who's rear plate folded down and she had a bunch of bright white lights that would blind the person behind her. Remind me not to tailgate behind her.
Yep I was gonna do that to my civic back in the days but couldnt find a reputable shop to do it. I had bought the little PIAA lights and everything. I doubt you can do it to the front and the cops will still ticket you, remember most Jersey cops are arrogant mofos
Old 07-14-2006, 02:55 PM
ninety nine tee ell

yeah my friends friend had a truck with the same concept of the blinding lights behind the plate, but only his lights were those that they use to light up aircraft hangers. i never saw them myself but my friend did and said they were bright enough to literally blind you for a minute or two, even during the day time. id imagine its similar to looking at the sun.

no, what im saying is how are the cops gonna ticket you if they dont know that the plate is mechanical. i obviously would make is so that they cant tell. you hit the switch before they walk up to your car, so when they go in front of your car to check your lights, plate, inspection sticker etc., the plate is there. but yeah its def gonna be a project to figure it all out.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:03 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Originally Posted by emdeejay
yeah my friends friend had a truck with the same concept of the blinding lights behind the plate, but only his lights were those that they use to light up aircraft hangers. i never saw them myself but my friend did and said they were bright enough to literally blind you for a minute or two, even during the day time. id imagine its similar to looking at the sun.

no, what im saying is how are the cops gonna ticket you if they dont know that the plate is mechanical. i obviously would make is so that they cant tell. you hit the switch before they walk up to your car, so when they go in front of your car to check your lights, plate, inspection sticker etc., the plate is there. but yeah its def gonna be a project to figure it all out.
Do you really think they are that ignorant. If they pull your over for no plate and then go to the front and see the plate, you don't think they will inspect for some kind of mechanism. They are arrogant but not dumb.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:19 PM
ninety nine tee ell

well yeah but most of the time theyll pull you over for somethin else and then go to check your shit... it was just a thought, and instead of getting a ticket for (for example) tints and license plate, theyll just give you the ticket for the tints
Old 07-14-2006, 03:53 PM
ninety nine tee ell

hahaha check this out and watch the video http://www.phantomplate.com/
Old 07-15-2006, 11:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PenancE
long time ago, my cousins friend's boyfriend owned a z24, and for his rear, he had a switch or something, forgot, i was young, and when u hit it, it like flipped over the plate, and had a middle finger on it, rofl was pretty cool when u think of it..

i would say its easier to do that type of thing in the rear, compared to the front..
Cool! My brother's friend's cousin's boyfriend's dad's former roommate had the same thing!
Old 07-17-2006, 01:48 AM
3rd Gear

Your front plate must be displayed at all times, not just when someone asks to see it. And I can promise that you won't be able to get it out in time everytime a cop passes you. You may not get a ticket, but its a real good reason to get stopped in the first place. Especially if a cop is looking to get you stopped for one reason or another. I wouldn't chance it. By the way, i'm a cop
Old 07-20-2006, 12:37 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by emdeejay
arite, i got this idea from seeing a lot of people on here complain (me being one of them) about not being able to take off their front plates due to cops/laws. so why not make it so that we can instantly display our front plates when we pass a cop or get pulled over? my idea is to make something that you can hit a panic button from inside the car and the license plate slides out and turns up into place (kinda like the tv head units do). it shouldnt be hard to do, i was thinkin to get some kind of servo from a junkyard like the one that controlled the flip up lights on old vettes. it would also be a pretty badass feature to show off at car shows. what do you all think?
yea i thought about this long time ago

i wanted sliding license plate for say:

running a red light with cameras
doing something illegal and dont want plates known
Old 07-20-2006, 12:40 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by CL Platano
Do you really think they are that ignorant. If they pull your over for no plate and then go to the front and see the plate, you don't think they will inspect for some kind of mechanism. They are arrogant but not dumb.
maybe they didnt pull him over for license plate but something else.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:42 PM
B A N N E D

so anyone have directions for a DIY for mechanical folding/rotating plates in the rear.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by vzuptnguyen
so anyone have directions for a DIY for mechanical folding/rotating plates in the rear.
Nope. Y dont you figure something out and make a DIY for us??
Old 07-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

vzuptnguyen, enough with the illegal activity posts.

THREAD CLOSED.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by vzuptnguyen
yea i thought about this long time ago

i wanted sliding license plate for say:

running a red light with cameras
doing something illegal and dont want plates known
Crap i missed this one

Now posting somethng like this not only shows stupidity, but shows you want to be doing and planning on doing illegal stuff.