Loss of Power Due to CAI

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loss of Power Due to CAI

I was told by a friend, than any CAI will create a "lost" of power in the TL-S. The air takes longer to suck into the engine which puts a "delay" on the response of the car.

I wanted to know if you guys think that, that is true or false.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kennedyhuynh
I was told by a friend, than any CAI will create a "lost" of power in the TL-S. The air takes longer to suck into the engine which puts a "delay" on the response of the car.

usually when putting aftermarket intake, header, exhaust, etc.., it shifts your powerband higher. meaning u will lose some power at lower rpms, but gain at higher.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Have you ever seen the length of tubing that the air has to travel thru with the stock system? It doesnt end at the air filter.

And to answer your question NO it doesnt loose HP It gains it.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:04 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Did your friend ride the short bus??
Old 06-19-2007, 11:02 AM
B A N N E D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 02type-s
Did your friend ride the short bus??

LMAO I was thinkin the samething lol
Old 06-19-2007, 09:22 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

i'd get a new friend.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:10 AM
Advanced

there comes a time in a mans life when he has to kill his friend.... you know what to do.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Knock it off guys. STAY on topic
Old 06-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure about other brand but for Comptech IceBox, the path the air takes is very short. Besides, the IceBox has an air scoop at the bottom which forces air to flow a lot quicker. I have IceBox on my TL-S for years now and so far I did not feel any power lost.

Just my $0.02
Old 06-20-2007, 12:54 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Originally Posted by JDM96specCTR
usually when putting aftermarket intake, header, exhaust, etc.., it shifts your powerband higher. meaning u will lose some power at lower rpms, but gain at higher.
Absolutely correct. CAI adds more flow. More flow hurts low end power. So there won't be any power gain, but even slight loss of power at the lower rpm band. Small gain at the mid band, and maximum gain at the uppermost band. Venders always quote this peak power value for their intake/exhaust products, but they never specify that it only happens at very high engine rev. Only increase engine displacement or forced induction can add solid power to the low rpm band.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Absolutely correct. CAI adds more flow. More flow hurts low end power. So there won't be any power gain, but even slight loss of power at the lower rpm band. Small gain at the mid band, and maximum gain at the uppermost band. Venders always quote this peak power value for their intake/exhaust products, but they never specify that it only happens at very high engine rev. Only increase engine displacement or forced induction can add solid power to the low rpm band.
While the info stated above is generally true, most vendors do include dynos with their intakes so you can see where hp gains are. They don't hide that info. Obviously the intake will make more power where the car makes more power. Also you can have hp gains down low with mods like the crank pulley, flywheel. They won't be as substantial as F/I but nothing really can compete with F/I other than nitrous and displacement as you said.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Instructor

Thanks u guys, i guess my question has been answered... But i may also be asking the wrong question. From what u guys have said, CAI will Gain Mid HP and High end HP. He has an IS300...

He says that my car has more torque than his which i don't doubt, cause she (my car) can really move off the line. I guess the question is not a loss in power, but a loss in torque.

Will there be loss in torque due to the CAI?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:50 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Only increase engine displacement or forced induction can add solid power to the low rpm band.
higher compression and aftermarket cams will also add bower throughout the whole powerband. unfortunatly theres nothing like that available for these motors off the shelf

Originally Posted by Excelerate
While the info stated above is generally true, most vendors do include dynos with their intakes so you can see where hp gains are. They don't hide that info.
but you have to pay attention to what the dyno really is. many of the dynos that companies show are not on stock motors, sometimes there are ALOT of other mods to the motor, which usually will yield greater gains for another single mod. for example, say i have a motor that has headers, exhaust, pulleys, lightened flywheel and stock intake.. now if i add a cold air intake, its going to yeild a far better gain over the stock intake, than if it were on a stock motor. you just have to pay attention when it comes to those "advertisement" dyno graphs and get all the info.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanks u guys, i guess my question has been answered... But i may also be asking the wrong question. From what u guys have said, CAI will Gain Mid HP and High end HP. He has an IS300...

He says that my car has more torque than his which i don't doubt, cause she (my car) can really move off the line. I guess the question is not a loss in power, but a loss in torque.

Will there be loss in torque due to the CAI?
You wont notice a thing (if there is any loss whatsoever) if thats what your worried about.
This is a (6 speed) with the ice box dyno.

No loss in power at all

http://www.comptechusa.com/store/med...spd_icebox.pdf
Old 06-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by JDM96specCTR
higher compression and aftermarket cams will also add bower throughout the whole powerband. unfortunatly theres nothing like that available for these motors off the shelf

but you have to pay attention to what the dyno really is. many of the dynos that companies show are not on stock motors, sometimes there are ALOT of other mods to the motor, which usually will yield greater gains for another single mod. for example, say i have a motor that has headers, exhaust, pulleys, lightened flywheel and stock intake.. now if i add a cold air intake, its going to yeild a far better gain over the stock intake, than if it were on a stock motor. you just have to pay attention when it comes to those "advertisement" dyno graphs and get all the info.
Most reputable manufacturers list what mods are on the car when dynoed.